ADP - Live From Disney World

Hey Aaron? Did you get any "loot" at the Welcome Home Wednesday event? Hats? Lanyards? DH and I are new DVC members and, since it's our plan to be at Epcot on Wednesday anyway during our September trip, I think we'll pop over.

Yes...Everyone in the audience recieved a free Animal Kingdom Villas bucket hat. I'll try and post a picture of one during my next report.

Aaron - Pete is at the Poly doing a review til Sunday. Keep your eyes open!
Thanks...Hopefully I'll get a chance to see him.

I can't wait for your next installment!!! I also need to remember your trick about going to the park the next day that had the EMH the night before:thumbsup2

Thursday, July 17th

Hi Everyone,

We are back from our morning at Cape May at the Beach Club resort and Disney's Hollywood Studios.

We had a very good breakfast. I must say Cape May provides a delicous breakfast. The food is top notch. I know its not hard to mess up breakfast, but the eggs, sausage, bacon, and everything else for that matter was absolutely delicous. The food was the best part of the meal. The service and character interaction was not bad either. Everything I tasted was prepared very, very well. There is a salmon and capers bar located near the entrance to the restaurant. A nice touch for those who like salmon.

We checked in at 7:45 and were seated immediately. The format for the breakfast is all you can eat buffet. The characters at the breakfast this morning were Goofy, Minnie, Chip & Dale. They are dressed up in their beach attire. Goofy is the headliner for this breakfast as him name is on the title.

I highly recommend this breakfast if you have little ones who need a character fix. Adults can revel in the delicious food and the kids will love the character interaction. It is also nice to be at the boardwalk area before the parks open. You are very close to EPCOT and just a boat ride away from DHS.

Our total bill was $51 with the 20% DDE discount and 18% automatic gratuity. I thought it was worth it.

Here are some photos from our breakfast this morning.

My plate of food.
Picture112-1.jpg

The pastry bar in the buffet area.
Picture107-1.jpg

Anna and Goofy in his beach attire.
Picture111-1.jpg

After our breakfast we jumped on the boat at the Yacht & Beach boat dock and headed for Hollywood Studios. We arrived just before 9:00AM and waited for the park to open. Once the gates opened we headed right for Toy Story Midway Mania. I wanted to get a fastpass immediately. Can you believe the fastpass time was already at 10:40AM. I got a fastpass and we jumped right in line. The wait time posted was 25 minutes. Very accurate in my opinion.

This is a great attraction; especially for the Studios. It fits very well. As of right now there are capacity problems. I'm hopeful it will get worked out over the next few months, but when wait times are 80 plus minutes in the AM and fastpasses are goine by 11:30AM something is a miss.

We rode the attraction twice this morning. My first score was 128,000 and my second was 165,000. Not bad. I wished we could have jumped back on, but the wait time was already 80 minutes at 11:00AM. This attraction is wildly popular. If you really want to ride it get to the park when it opens and make it your first stop. If you arrive to the Studios in the afternoon you may very easily be out of luck.

Here are some photos from Toy Story Mania this morning.
Sign outside of the gates at Hollywood Studios
Picture117-1.jpg

The fastpass return time was already at 10:40AM at 9:10AM in the morning. Is that possible?
Picture118-1.jpg

Mr. Potato Head. The 1 million dollar audio animatronic. He's amazing and entertaining. The voice of Mr Potato Head is none other than Mr. Don Rickles.
Picture120-1-1.jpg

The Studios wasn't overly crowded this morning. Wait times for the other attractions were 30 to 40 minutes including Tower of Terror and Rockin Rollercoaster. Attractions we experienced this morning/afternoon were Muppets 3-D, Star Tours, Toy Story Mania, Tower of Terror and we also caught a few shows from the Citizens of Hollywood. Oh! And Anna also got her hair wrapped.

Here are some photos from our morning/afternoon inside Hollywood Studios.

In The Can productions. Francis Floot was as funny as ever. Had the whole audience splitting sides over some of his jokes.
Picture125-1.jpg

Picture127-1-1.jpg

Picture128-1.jpg

Anna and Francis shared some nice times together this afternoon.
Picture129-1-1.jpg

Alberto Dante...Show Director.
Picture130-1.jpg

The fastpass machines were actually being used at Indiana Jones today.
Picture126-1.jpg

Construction walls on the Streets of America. You could here hammering and electrical saws behind them.
Picture122-1-1.jpg

It was a very nice morning. We are headed down to the pool right now. I plan on taking in some time at the Trout Pass pool bar and/or maybe the Territory Lounge a little later. I'll be back tonight with a picture update of both.

Looks like you had a pretty productive morning. We are really looking forward to riding toy story midway next month!!! We will need to get there early I guess:rolleyes1 . Loving all your pics!!!

I'm loving the restaurant reviews/reports! Although I'm not shocked that Toy Story Mania is a huge event/attraction, it is surprising that the FastPass time was for 10:40 AM at only 9:10 AM... this is something that Disney needs to address or they are going to be dealing with many unhappy customers.

Keep the live trip report coming! :)

LOVIN this trip report --- how awesome are you to take time to do this while ON your trip.

Great trip report. I feel like we are right there with you and can not wait until our trip in Oct. I can't wait to hear more! And thank you for keeping us posted while you are there.

Aaron - I am loving your report! We will be down there in 3 weeks and I can't wait! Would you say the parks are not as crowded as normal for this time of year? I am hoping we don't run into massive crowds like we usually do when we go in August.

Also, regarding Toy Story Mania, would you say to grab an FP for that first before heading over to ToT and RnRC?!? Which way are the crowds going at rope drop??

Aaron - I am loving your report! We will be down there in 3 weeks and I can't wait! Would you say the parks are not as crowded as normal for this time of year? I am hoping we don't run into massive crowds like we usually do when we go in August.

Also, regarding Toy Story Mania, would you say to grab an FP for that first before heading over to ToT and RnRC?!? Which way are the crowds going at rope drop??

Crowds haven't been terrible. To us the only real crowd issues were at Toy Story Mania and Pixar Place. Its become an instant success with many folks who go to the Studios. It's a family friendly ride attraction making it very popular. The Studios doesn't really have an attraction for this demographic. Tower, Rockin Rollercoaster and Star Tours can't match it.

I witnessed about half the crowds going down Sunset Blvd for Tower and Coaster and then the other half heading for Pixar Place. I'd suggest going to Pixar Place first thing, grabbing a fastpass immediately, then jumping in the standby line. Once you've done TSM twice head over to Sunset Blvd. It really is a matter of priority and what you want to ride.

Hi Everyone,

We are back from our afternoon/evening. We changed our plans a bit and headed over to Downtown Disney this afternoon/evening. I also stopped in the Territory Lounge for a quick drink.

We took the bus to Downtown Disney from the Wilderness Lodge. Once we arrived at the Marketplace I left Kim and Anna and took the walking trail to Saratoga Springs preview center to meet our vacation guide. I enjoy speaking with him whenever I get the chance. Today, I had somewhat of a specific purpose in mind. On August 30th we have 85 DISers who will be attending a DIS and DIS Unplugged meet in the indianapolis area. Quite a large group. I spoke to our guide about the meet. He was amazed at the turnout. We discussed the possibility of DVC supplying some small trinkets to hand out at the meet. I won't discuss much more, but I'm hopeful our discussion will help enhance the meet. :)

After I left our guide I headed back to Downtown Disney where I met up with Kim and Anna at the World of Disney. We purchased some souveniers and gifts for family back home.

While Kim and Anna continued shopping I stepped out the back entrance and snapped some photos of construction progress going on in the Marketplace.

Construction walls around the Marketplace stage.
Picture132-1.jpg

Here are a couple shots of the new T-Rex Cafe set to open this Fall. I've heard November 1st, but that is not official. It is going to be a large restaurant.
Picture133-1-1.jpg

Picture134-1.jpg

After we left the World of Disney we took a trip over to Goofy's Candy Company. A trip to Downtown Disney just doesn't seem right without a visit to Goofy's.

Here are a couple shots of what we purchased.

Anna had a pink cupcake.
Picture137-1.jpg

Kim and I chose a Peanut Butter Heaven and a piece of peanut butter fudge.
Picture138-1.jpg

After our desserts we decided to head back to the Wilderness Lodge. When we arrived I headed over to the lobby and stopped in the Territory Lounge for a quick drink. The lounge is somewhat small. It is warm and relaxing. There is a flat panel TV on the wall. I ordered a frozen margharita and had a nice conversation with the bar tender. The lounge is located off the fine dining establishment in the lodge called Artist's Point in the back left corner of the lobby. It is a nice spot to go if you just want to get away from the hustle and bustle of WDW.

Here is a photo of my frozen margharita.
Picture140-1.jpg

Tomorrow we check out of the Wilderness Lodge Villas and check into the Polynesian Resort. We are looking forward to our stay there. Before we check into the Polynesian we have a breakfast reservation at 9:45AM at The Wave. I wanted to try this restaurant since it just opened. I'll let you know about our experience tomorrow afternoon.

Here's one more shot from the lobby of the Wilderness Lodge. The lobby Spring which leads to the main pool in the back of the resort.
Picture131-1.jpg

Here's a shot of a Lego family at Downtown Disney.
Picture135-1.jpg

Here's another shot from afar at the Marketplace at Downtown Disney.
Picture139-1.jpg

Up Next:
Breakfast at The Wave
Checking-In to the Polynesian
Polynesian Pool
The Magic Kingdom

great new installments!!!

thanks for taking the time to include us in your fun!!!

and thanks for the toy story mania tip - DD will be there in sept and i'll let her know..

Woo hoo! Aaron is "schmoozing for loot" for our Indy DIS Meet! :rotfl:

Thanks again for the great report. I'm looking forward to hearing about your Poly stay.

Just catching up. What a fantastic trip you are having. That pic with Daisy is great!!!! I cant wait to hear the rest. Thanks for reporting the crowd levels we leave on Sunday!!

Can't wait to hear about the Wave and see your poly pics!!!

This has been a great trip report! I am enjoying all the pictures, too! Thanks for all the hard work for us during your vacation. Looking forward to hearing about the Wave Restaurant.

MAN!!! your trip sounds Awesome!!!

it's making me home sick! but I am glad you guys are having fun!!! the food looks soooooo yummy!!!!

Friday, July 18th

Hi everyone,

We are back from our morning and afternoon activiites. We visited The Wave this morning, checked into the Polynesian, and spent some time at the pool while our room was getting cleaned and ready.

We checked out of the Wilderness Lodge Villas and began the next segment of our trip at the Polynesian. Before we checked into the Polynesian we took the boat from the Wilderness Lodge dock to the Contemporary. We had a 9:45AM ADR at The Wave.

The restaurant is on the 1st floor and it replaced the Food & Fun Center. My
1st impression of this restaurant is adult oriented and somewhat upscale with a relaxed atmosphere. The bar area is very nice; however, the seating off the bar is unusual. It has a round sofa type seating. I took a walk through the bar and was surprised to see it was open at 10:00AM in the morning. I spoke to the bar tender who confirmed "Yes, the bar is open, can I help you?" LOL!

The staff at the restaurant went out of there way to be friendly. They even gave Anna a couple pins and a tinker bell light up figurine for her drink.

The menu has a healthy food type of appeal to it. There are several multigrain breads and cheeses which give you that impression. The prices are above average for breakfast; however, I will say the food is delicious and worth it in my opinion. If you order a multigrain or organic item from the menu it will cost you slightly more.

I had the fetta and spinach scrambled eggs with breakfast potatos and a biscuit. Kim had a ham and cheese omlette with breakfast potatos and a biscuit. As I mentioned earlier the food was prepared very well. My spinach was served on the side and not prepared in the omlette; which was probably a smart decision by the chef. I also ordered coffee. One thing you should know about the coffee at The Wave. It is not your typical Disney/Nescafe coffee. It is one of the few places on property that serve something other than Nescafe. It is an organic coffee from Columbia. I believe our server called it Joffers coffee. I noticed it right away when I took my first sipp it was something different. It was very good.

Our total bill came to $32.25 with our 20% DDE discount and automatic 18% gratuity. If you enjoy a nice quiet breakfast and ordering off a menu is your thing then you should try this restaurant. It is a different Disney dining experience. My impression is that this restaurant was built to appeal to convention goers at the Contemporary.

Here are some photos from our breakfast at the Wave.

Restaurant entrance located on the 1st floor in the back of the lobby.
Picture145-1-1.jpg

A shot of inside the restaurant.
Picture147-1-1.jpg

My breakfast; fetta and spinach scrambled eggs. Very tasty.
Picture150-1.jpg

Here's a very new hidden mickey inside the bar's wine display. The bar has a very large south of the equator wine selection.
Picture148-1-1.jpg

We left the restaurant and took the escalators up to the 4th floor to catch the monorail to the Polynesian.

While we were waiting for the monorail I snapped this picture of what used to be the Concourse Steakhouse. It will soon be a new counter service option on the Grand Canyon Concourse.
Picture151-1.jpg

We rode the resort monorail around to the Polynesian and went down to the front desk to check-in. Before I officially checked in I asked the front desk to locate a friend of ours who had been helping us plan our trip. Her name was Allison and she works in the Itinerary Planning Office. She said to look her up when we arrived, so we did.

Here is a photo Anna and I took with her. If you are reading this Allison; Thank You Very Much for your kindness and hospitality.
Picture153-2.jpg

After we checked in (our room was not ready yet) we decided to head out to the pool. Anna and Kim came to the Poly with their bathing suits on underneath their clothes. I had other ideas. I spent the time at the Barefoot pool bar. After a few drinks and a conversation with a nice gentleman from Scottland I walked around the pool and resort and snapped a few photos. The Polynesian is a beautiful resort with plenty of nice views.

The volcano at the Volcano pool. The pool slide winds through the inside.
Picture155-1-1.jpg

Lobby beauty in the Great Ceremonial House.
Picture152-1.jpg

Volcano Spring which heads towards the volcano pool.
Picture154-1.jpg

A shot of the Volcano pool this afternoon.
Picture157-1-1.jpg

Construction at the back of the Great Ceremonial House. Cast Members told me they were replacing windows. Not sure why.
Picture156-1.jpg

After we left the pool we discovered our room was ready. We have a garden view room on the 3rd floor of Tokelau with a partial lagoon view. A great view of the Grand Floridian. Since we are on the 3rd floor we have a balcony. Rooms on the second floor do not have a balcony. I believe that is the case in most, if not all the longhouses here at the Polynesian.

Here is the view from our balcony. Sunset Point is just to the right out of view.
Picture158-1.jpg

Earlier, when we were on the second floor of the Great Ceremonial House I stopped at the coffee/sushi bar. They were currently selling coffee and pastry. I asked the Cast Member about the sushi and she said the sushi bar would open at 5:00PM and close at 10:00PM. So, for those who wish to try it out those are the hours. I will grab a photo of the sushi bar sometime this weekend.

Later this afternoon we will be headed to the Magic Kingdom via the monorail. The Magic Kingdom is open until 11:00PM this evening with Extra Magic Hours until 2:00AM. We plan on stopping at Casey's Corner for dinner.

Before I sign off for now here are some photos I snapped this morning of the construciton at the Contemporary Villas or Bay Lake Tower.

Side view of the tower showing windows and other exterior going up.
Picture142-1-1-1.jpg

Here is a shot showing some sort of observation tower being constructed at the top of the tower. Maybe for firework viewing, maybe not.
Picture144-1.jpg

Here's a shot of the new pathway leading from the new tower to the current Contemporary tower.
Picture143-1.jpg

Whoa, great pics of what's coming at the Contemporary! And I love the Poly shots...really shows the beauty of the resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter