ADP - Live From Disney World

There is something special about that arrival day...especially the inevitable blast of humidity when getting off the plane in Orlando and then walking into the lobby of where ever you stay. Thanks for the picture of the WL lobby...that is our favorite resort and the first steps in the lobby are always special.

Hey Everyone,

We are here at the Wilderness Lodge Villas. We are running out to AK to get to the Rain Forest Cafe. I will give you a full report of our ME experience, check-in, etc tonight or first thing tomorrow.

Here are some quick pictures of our arrival.

Orlando airport. We are here! Hey you guys! Wait for me!
Picture027-1.jpg

Walking into the Wilderness Lodge. Nothing like it. Jaw dropping!
Picture030-1-1.jpg

DVC Logo walking into the Widerness Lodge Villas about 20 minutes ago.
Picture031-1.jpg

See ya later! :)

Now I'm jealous.;) Have a great time down there. I'll keep everything in line here in Indy while your gone.:rotfl:

I loved your last live trip report and am thrilled you are doing another. Let's see... it's 9:05pm. You've finished your dinner at RFC and you are where? What time does AK close? Probably closed already. Travel day so maybe you are back relaxing at that beautiful resort! Can't wait to hear about all the details. Thanks so much for taking the time out of your trip to post this live. It's so much fun to follow along with you!

Monday, July 14th

Hi Everyone,

We are back from our evening at the Animal Kingdom. We had a nice time. We arrived at around 5:45PM and instead of heading into the park we met our Sister-in-Law at the front and talked to her about their week at Disney World. We then headed into the Rain Forest Cafe for our 6:30 ADR. My Sister-in-Law decided she had enough and went back to their resort. My brother, Niece, and friend joined us for dinner. More about our Rain Forest Cafe experience a little later.

I wanted to let you know about our Magical Express experience today. It went pretty smoothly, but there were some waits we could have done without. When we arrived at the Magical Express check-in desk we were greeted to a pretty long line. We ended up waiting about 20 minutes.

Here is a picture of a segment of the line.

Picture028-1.jpg

After checking in at the desk we stepped over to the red carpet where we only waited about 5 minutes for our ME bus to arrive. Once we boarded it took about 20 minutes for the bus to finally pull away. I didn't think we would ever leave. I guess they were waiting for more guests to board as there were only 6 of us on the bus.

I was happy to see our driver went a bit faster than our last ME experience back in April. He was going just over 70 MPH on the 417 or Greenway. I was in the front and could see the speedometer. We got to the Wilderness lodge in a timely fashion. By the way, the order in which the bus dropped off at the resorts was the Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge, and the Contemporary. We were the 3rd stop.

Another note, the folks working at Magical Express are allowed to accept Tips.
I noticed this sign on our way to the Wilderness Lodge in the front of the bus.

Picture034-1.jpg

All-in-all ME did the job. There were just a few annoying waits. Otherwise it worked well. Our bags were waiting for us in our room when we returned tonight from the AK.

Our arrival at the Wilderness Lodge was very nice. No wait at the check-in desk. We walked right up and were greeted by a smile. After a nice conversation with Sofia she checked us in and assigned us our room. A 1 bedroom villa on the 4th floor. .

The room was very clean and nothing wrong with it at all. We even had some towel animals waiting for us when we arrived.

As for the rest of the resort it is truly beautiful. The lobby is stunning and the rest of the resort is so peaceful.

Here's a picture of the view from our balcony.

Picture035-1.jpg

Now it's time for something not so peaceful. Our ADR at the Rain Forest Cafe. If you've ever dined at one of the Disney World Rain Forest Cafe's you probably already know they are noisy with audio AAs and sound effects.

We checked in and after waiting about 15 minutes for my brother to arrive we were seated. Our servers name was Pedro and he kindly informed me he had been up since 3:00AM this morning and was a little frantic. Needless to say I could tell where this meal was going. I probably should have just hugged the gorilla in front of our table and called it a day. :laughing:

The service was slow. In fact, there were a few points during our meal I told my brother "has our server quit his job?" :confused: Well, he finally came back around and refilled our drinks and took our orders.

I ordered the Rain Forest Cobb Salad. Kim ordered the Chicken Fried Chicken. Both of our entrees were well prepared. I must say the portions at the Rain Forest are very, very large and pricey. My Cobb Salad was $15.99 and Kim's entree was $18.99. Ouch! But hey, we are on vacation, right. The food at this restaurant is average in our opinion. It is also a noisy dining experience. During this visit our service was below average. Not the best experience in the world, but we ate our way through it I guess. When we come to Disney World I'm not big on dining at chain restaurants, but once in a while; I guess its ok.

Total cost of our meal was $52 including tip for the 3 of us and a 10% DVC discount. The Rain Forest Cafe does not accept the DDE.

Here are some photos from our meal.

Signage out front.

Picture036-1-1.jpg

Our table. The Motley Crew.

Picture037-1.jpg

My Cobb Salad. Very large, but I did manage to eat it all. I was very hungry this evening.

Picture038-2.jpg

After dinner we decided to enter the Animal Kingdom and participate in the evening Extra Magic Hours. We used the Rain Forest Cafe entrance in the back of the restaurant.

Here's a photo of the entrance (sorry, it’s a bit dark, but you get the idea).

Picture039-1-1.jpg

The park was open until 11:00PM. Evening EMH at the Animal Kingdom can be in "iffy" proposition. There are limited attractions open, and because of that wait times can be rather significant.

Here is the times tip board in Discovery Island. Wait times at 8:40 were about 25 to 30 minutes for most major attractions. They stayed pretty steady at least until 10:30PM.

Picture041-2.jpg

Attractions we experienced tonight were only Dinosaur and Expedition Everest. We tried to get on Primeval Whirl, but the wait times would not allow it. 30 minutes to get spun into oblivion won't work; especially, just after eating at the Rain Forest.

The park was somewhat crowded this evening. Dinosaur had a 30 minute wait, Expedition Everest had a 30 minute wait, but I felt it was longer, maybe 40 minutes. I really didn't think the temps were that bad tonight. It was a bit sticky, but it could have been a lot worse.

At 10:30 we decided to leave the park. Believe it or not our bus just arrived as we walked up to the bus depot. Great!!! Our return trip to the Lodge was very efficient. I spent some time in the lobby and gift shop before coming back to the room. All-in-all a great day!

I'll leave you with more photos from the Animal Kingdom and the Wilderness Lodge.

The Dino in Dinosaur! "This picture brought to you by a generous grant from the McDonalds Corporation." :laughing:

Picture042-1.jpg

Yeti Time!! Photo from the queue of Expedition Everest.

Picture043-1.jpg

Wilderness Lodge Mercantile.

Picture040-1.jpg

Photo inside the "Iron Spike Room" at the Wilderness Lodge Villas. It's a little warm for a fire, isn't it? :confused:

Picture044-1.jpg

Up Next:
Back to the Animal Kingdom (I'll tell you why tomorrow)
Lunch at Whispering Canyon
Photos of our Villa
EPCOT or Magic Kingdom in the evening

Great installment ADP! We had roughly the same experience at RFC, only the sub-par food was much more apparent than our less than attentive server... :sad2:

Love the live trip report; keep it coming! :wizard:

Thanks so much for the live report, ADP! I'm living vicariously through you guys, waiting until our own VWL trip in September! Keep those great pictures coming! I'm especially looking forward to the photos of the VWL 1 BR - as that's what we have booked for September for our first trip "home" as DVC members and we've only stayed in a studio previously!

I can't thank you enough for this live report!!! Its helping to pass our time till our trip:goodvibes . Great installment, can't wait for more!!!

I feel like I'm "right there" in the moment!

And to clarify, I won't be at the Welcome Home Wednesday tomorrow. I meant that I will arrive on a Wednesday in October. At least I know where to go now. ;)

Tuesday, July 15th

Hi Everyone,

We are back from our morning at the Animal Kingdom. I mentioned before I would let you know why we went back this morning after spending the evening there last night. One of the touring strategies we like to use is visiting the park which had evening Extra Magic Hours the night before. The theory is that many guests have visited that park the night before and will not be back the next day. They will go to a different park. In theory, this should make wait times and crowd levels smaller than usual. I believe this strategy worked well today as the AK was not very busy at all this morning. The crowds did pick-up at around 12:40 as we left the park to head back to the Wilderness Lodge Villas.

We started our morning at Roaring Forks counter service at the Wilderness Lodge.

Here are a few shots of the counter service restaurant. It was recently refurbished a few years ago.

Picture047-1.jpg

Seating area.
Picture046-1-1.jpg

Here is the tip board on Discovery Island when we arrived at 9:20AM and when we left at around 12:40PM.

Picture050-1.jpg

Picture065-1-1.jpg

We did the usual attractions this morning. This is the order in which we experienced attractions this morning; Triceratops Spin, Primeval Whirl, Dinosaur, Character Landing, Festival of the Lion King, Camp Minnie/Mickey characters, and Expedition Everest with a Fastpass.

Here is a picture showing only a 5 minute wait for Dinosaur this morning at around 10:30AM.

Picture051-1.jpg

A couple notes about the Festival of the Lion King. Timon's face is now animated which means the eyes blink and the mouth moves to the lyrics of the show. It really makes the show much better. Also, the Tumble Monkies have added some different show elements to their segment. It really made the show much more enjoyable from our perspective.

Here are a couple shots from the Festival of the Lion King. Anna was in the parade. "No flash pictures please."

Picture058-1.jpg

Picture060-2.jpg

On Expedition Everest the Yeti was not fully functional today. He was in what is called "B Mode". They only had strobe lighting on him. I've seen him this way before, but I've also seen him fully lit and very visable. He is much better when he is fully visiable during the approach.

In a few minutes we will be heading down to Whispering Canyon for lunch. At around 6:30PM we are heading over to the Magic Kingdom for Spectromagic and Wishes. I'll have a report on our meal and our evening at the Magic Kingdom this evening.

Here are a few more pictures from this morning.

Tree of Life in all its glory!

Picture049-1.jpg

My Wife discovered this. A carved water creature in the river crossing over into Camp Minnie Mickey. Pretty Cool!

Picture056-1.jpg

Talk to you later. :)

Thanks for the report.. glad to know the crowds are not super crazy as we arrive in 9 days!!!

I'm lovin' this trip report. Did I mention that I :love: the WL?

Isn't great that after so many visits to WDW a person can still find something new that they never noticed before? :thumbsup2

Loving the report. VWL will be my next points in DVC. Boardwalk for convenience, WL for unmatched beauty!!

I like your park strategy, ADP. I have done the same in the past with good results. I also use the morning EMH, then leave by 10...
I'm jealous you've seen the Yeti in other than "B" mode - I've only seen the Disco Yeti (Strobe mode)!!

LOVING THE LIVE REPORTS!! Almost makes me want an iPhone...

popcorn::

I just love all of these trip reports. It's so nice to feel like I'm right there too! Thanks so much!

Hi Everyone,

We just returned from the Magic Kingdom. Fortunately, we took our afternoon break today because it rained for a while this afternoon during our ADR at Whispering Canyon and our break in the room. It worked out well. We headed to the Magic Kingdom around 6:30PM. The rain had pretty much stopped. I wasn't sure what the crowds would be like since it rained for a few hours. It wasn't too crowded, but wait times where still somewhat lengthy.

Our ADR for Whispering Canyon was at 2:00PM. We checked in right at 2:00 and were seated immediately. There was not much of a crowd inside the restaurant. We probably could have walked up and got seated write away without an ADR.

The restaurant is themed to the old west and fits into the theme of the resort very well. The servers add to the theme by speaking in old west lingo; although they didn't seem in the mood to do many antics during our meal.

Restaurant signage.

Picture068-1.jpg

Here's a photo of inside the restaurant

Picture079-1.jpg

Also, in the waiting area there is a table with Lincoln Logs which kids can play with while they are waiting.

Picture067-1.jpg

The menu does have a decent variety of choices. The most popular item appears to be the All-You-Can-Eat Canyon Skillet. The other items on the menu are chicken, cheeseburgers, ribs, etc. The one benefit of eating at 2:00PM is we are eating lunch and are getting lunch prices. The entrees; especially the Canyon Skillet is pretty much the same, but there is $9 per person price difference between lunch and dinner.

Our servers name was Diane. She seemed overwhelmed at first; like she had too many tables to handle, but fortunately for us many of the folks in her area left and our service got better during the meal. At first it was very, very slow.

Kim and I ordered the all-you-can-eat Canyon Skillet. It included pork ribs, sausage, baked chicken, corn on the cob, mashed potatos, baked beans, cole slaw and corn bread. Here's the scoop on the food in the skillet. The chicken was very dry; like it had been baked on a rock. The ribs were pretty good, the sausage was unimpressive. About the best part of the skillet were the mashed potatos and corn bread. Everything else was pretty sub par in my opinion. I did eat mostly ribs and corn bread while Kim enjoyed the mashed potatos, corn and corn bread. If you wanted more of anything in the skillet just let your server know and they will bring you more.

Here is a picture of the Canyon Skillet.

Picture066-1-1.jpg

One of the highlights of the meal (there weren't many) were the bottomless milkshakes Kim and Anna ordered. They looked and tasted delicious. Anna ordered the chocolate while Kim ordered the strawberry. I believe they are made with real ice cream with whipped cream and sprinkles on top. Pretty awesome! If you ever dine here do yourself a favor and order them. You can continue to have your server bring you more as long as you can drink them. They do cost $5.99, but I believe they are so good it's worth the price.

Our bill came to $49.00 including the tip and the 20% DDE discount. The 18% gratuity was automatically added. My personal feeling is if you are staying at Fort Wilderness or Wilderness Lodge go ahead and dine here. Don't go out of your way from a park or another resort and make a special trip. You maybe disappointed if you do so.

After lunch we headed back to our room. Kim decided to sleep and Anna relaxed by watching some TV while the rain continued. I decided to take a walk down to the lobby and check out the Territory Lounge (Wilderness Lodge bar). Although I didn't order anything I was impressed by the setup. I may stop there on Thursday for a drink. I sat in the lobby and soaked up some atmosphere for about an hour and came back to the room.

At 6:30 we headed for the boat dock and took the boat over to the Magic Kingdom. Attractions we experienced this evening were Small World, Mickey's Phillharmagic, Spectromagic Parade, Buzz Lightyear, and Laugh Floor.

We love the Spectromagic parade.
Here are a few shots from tonight's 9:00PM parade. These are some of our favorite parts of the parade.

The sign with the Spectromagic Spectromen.

Picture075-1.jpg

Mickey leading the way.

Picture076-1.jpg

Chip & Dale tickling the ivory.

Picture077-1.jpg

At 10:30 we decided to head back to our room and call it a night. We took the boat back to the Wilderness Lodge.

I also promised some photos of our 1 bedroom villa. Here they are.

Living room area
Picture069-1.jpg

Kitchen with entry way
Picture070-1-1.jpg

The bedroom
Picture071-1-1.jpg

The bathroom. It is split with another sink next door.
Picture072-2-1.jpg

Here are a few photos from the Small World attraction

Indoor view from the queue line
Picture073-1-1.jpg

7:45PM. A shot from underneath the clock on the boat waiting to exit. Tick Tock, Tick Tock
Picture074-2-1.jpg

And finally, a couple more photos from the Animal Kingdom this morning.

Anna, Daisy, and me at Camp Minnie Mickey
Picture080-1.jpg

Just hanging around.
Picture064-2-1.jpg

My next update may not come until tomorrow night as we may not come back to the villa until then.

Up Next:
EPCOT
Beaches N Cream
Welcome Home Wednesday (DVC Event)
Hollywood Studios

Thanks for the pictures and update!

We feel pretty much the same way about Whispering Canyon. We always make a point of dining there when we stay at Wilderness Lodge, but I don't think we'd make a trip there otherwise. The food ranges between average and a bit above average. The atmosphere and fun varies greatly, depending on the crowd that night as well as the server we have - it could go either way. But the restaurant does get major points for simply being able to view the loddy while dining!

Mmmm..Beaches and Cream...will you be getting the Kitchen Sink?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter