ABD Backstage Magic 7/31 - 8/5/11

Thanks, Nikki. I just told Chris how strange it was that the ABD trip was staying at two hotels without spas. Dang it!

Hey, I was looking at the reading list for this trip. Are these books worth reading? Any thoughts?

Haha. I am a spa addict, but haven't had the extra cash the past few trips. I'm hoping I can swing at least something by ABD. ;)

I was really surprised that a reading list was included. How cool is that? I have a few of them on there and am planning on looking for the others. I think they'll only add to the experience. :thumbsup2

Haha. I am a spa addict, but haven't had the extra cash the past few trips. I'm hoping I can swing at least something by ABD. ;)

I was really surprised that a reading list was included. How cool is that? I have a few of them on there and am planning on looking for the others. I think they'll only add to the experience. :thumbsup2

I realize that this is almost a year away....and no one will remember my prediction....but here goes.......

There is so much to see and do....and you get up so early......and you go all day......and you still dont have enough time to fit in everything that you want to fit in....and you have all these fast passes....and everyone else is going to the......that NO ONE will even think about visiting a spa.

Just my prediction.:thumbsup2

I thought of that totally, but many of us will be adding on days at the Grand once ABD is over. :rolleyes1 Gotta love DVC!

Besides, once you've visited a GOOD spa, you always think about going back to one. :thumbsup2

Thanks, Nikki. I just told Chris how strange it was that the ABD trip was staying at two hotels without spas. Dang it!

Hey, I was looking at the reading list for this trip. Are these books worth reading? Any thoughts?

Wait, we have homework? Cool.. What do we have to read? BonnieMB has all our paperwork. I dont have enought time to catch up on my D23's...

No . . . but we do have Pete and the shrimp stealer (aka Walter)!! :lmao:

I'm vegetarian so Walter (or someone else) will be forced to eat my share :rotfl2:

That's the price I thought I heard - not happening for us either. Using DVC points would be one of our options too, so we're trying to figure out whether it's better to attempt to stay on DVC points or if we'd be better off saving points for something else and paying cash at one of the other Disneyland Resorts. :confused:

There are a lot of motels/hotels in walking distance that are much more economical albeit mostly not of the same standard as the Disney ones. We stayed at the Ramada "Saga" a few years back and unless they have renovated it was fabulously themed as "flea pit" and I'm not sure if they had rooms available by the hour but it wouldn't have surprised me. But heck it was cheap, clean and a very short walk... the Hojo was much nicer in comparison - I'm talking about at least 5 years back so things may have changed.

Hi Everyone :surfweb: It is a rainy day in the centre of the continent, but the first day under 30C (I think that's about 80-85F) in weeks. Thank goodness 'cause the air-conditioner is gonna konk out if this kept up!:scared1:
I'm sitting here procrastinating from writing an article - academic stuff. Praying to the muses for inspiration :worship:
Dreaming of WDW in Feb, and of COURSE our trip in July.

Still cold, wet and winter here in the southern hemisphere. But we are less than 30 sleeps until we do the Westbound Transatlantic cruise so its starting to become more real - we booked it October 2008.

:confused: So I'd like to add the nametag buttons as countdown tickers to our Feb trip to WDW and of course the July 2011 ABD trip. How do I do that?

Have puzzled over it and now my puzzler is sore. Help!:confused3

Go to Distickers.com, create your ticker and then edit your signature and insert the code - feel free to PM me if you need more explicit instructions.

I am the older sister of SaraMc. We won't say how much older :rolleyes1

I'm a professor, but don't let my job let you think I'm some stuffy academic. Not me at all. There is a reason my avatar is Tigger! The DH is an analyst for the provincial medical association. The DS is (gasp) 19 in 2 weeks and currently is working and looking for a new place to live with a few buddies.

If it makes you feel better, we can pretend you were a child bride ;) And its nice to meet you Bonnie - I've chatted with Sara a few times in the chatroom so hope you can join us sometime!

For those of you who do not know already, Kevin and I have a "special" relationship.

:scared1: ... sneaking away quietly...

If you are a fan of the Muppets or Sesame Street, then the Jim Henson book is a great choice! The Illusion of Life is also excellent. The book that I highly recommend (but it's not on the list) is Neil Gabler's biography of Walt Disney. I love it!

Thanks for the helpful advice paulasillers re: the tickers. Will try again to get it to work properly.
And yes, I was a mere infant when the DS came along!! :)
That's my story and I'm sticking with it :D
Love to chat some time - will get info from Sara and try to coordinate - maybe when you return from your latest travels?

Wait, we have homework? Cool.. What do we have to read? BonnieMB has all our paperwork. I dont have enought time to catch up on my D23's...

Yeah we do - it is in the packet...that you don't have :rolleyes:

Essential reading includes map of LA and a Fodor's guide...meh

I think you and I would like: The Imagineering Field Guide to Disneyland, An Imagineer's-eye Tour :thumbsup2, and, The Story of Hollywood, An Illustrated History :thumbsup2. We can order them from Longitude, a specialty mail-order book service. (800) 342-2164, or reading.longitudebooks.com/DY21738.

There's also a long list of 'also recommended'

The Illusion of Life, Disney Animation:thumbsup2
The Disney Mountains, Imagineering at its Peak
The Art of Finding Nemo
Finding Nemo (DVD)
Jim Henson, The Works
The J. Paul Getty Museum and its Collections: A Museum for the New Century
The Golden West, Hollywood Stories :thumbsup2
The Day of the Locust :confused:

I'm wondering if local libraries have any of these books. I do have the mountain range one and I thought I had the Imagineering one, but it's for WDW. Will have to check.

How is everyone today? Any special plans?

Yeah we do - it is in the packet...that you don't have :rolleyes:

Essential reading includes map of LA and a Fodor's guide...meh

I think you and I would like: The Imagineering Field Guide to Disneyland, An Imagineer's-eye Tour :thumbsup2, and, The Story of Hollywood, An Illustrated History :thumbsup2. We can order them from Longitude, a specialty mail-order book service. (800) 342-2164, or reading.longitudebooks.com/DY21738.

There's also a long list of 'also recommended'

The Illusion of Life, Disney Animation:thumbsup2
The Disney Mountains, Imagineering at its Peak
The Art of Finding Nemo
Finding Nemo (DVD)
Jim Henson, The Works
The J. Paul Getty Museum and its Collections: A Museum for the New Century
The Golden West, Hollywood Stories :thumbsup2
The Day of the Locust :confused:

In addition to the books Stacy recommended, I highly recommend "The Disney Mountains, Imagineering at its Peak" that's on the list. :)

I'm wondering if local libraries have any of these books. I do have the mountain range one and I thought I had the Imagineering one, but it's for WDW. Will have to check.

How is everyone today? Any special plans?

Today's plans include trying to get a little reading done on Lemon Cake and editing lots of photos from the July 2010 ABD trip. I finally managed to get through my Hollywood photos and posted the link to those on the thread for that trip.

I thought of that totally, but many of us will be adding on days at the Grand once ABD is over. :rolleyes1 Gotta love DVC!

Besides, once you've visited a GOOD spa, you always think about going back to one. :thumbsup2

There is a great spa on the Wonder. :rolleyes1

Today's plans include trying to get a little reading done on Lemon Cake and editing lots of photos from the July 2010 ABD trip. I finally managed to get through my Hollywood photos and posted the link to those on the thread for that trip.

I got caught up on Lemon Cake yesterday, but plan on doing some more today. Interesting read. :)

I'd love to go to that thread, but am trying to avoid it. I want to experience all of the little surprises on this trip so I'm trying not to look at the pics. ;) I'm beyond excited though. I think there's going to be a need for boxes of tissues and hope I remember to bring them. I know I'm going to lose it when I see the dwarfs holding up the roof of the building.

Plans for today were to figure out tickers (done! :yay:) and to order some of the books on the reading list. Ordered: The Imagineering Field Guide, and Jim Henson: The Work, The Art, The Magic, The Imagination. :cool1:
Now I just have to force myself to only read these AFTER the academicy-stuff is done :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter