A Private, Romantic 30th Anniversary Trip- Just Ask My Friends! Last Afternoon: EP p. 37 9/19

Mark gets annoyed when I take pictures on rides and it is much easier to sneak them with my small, compact camera.

:rolleyes1

Sneaky. :tiptoe:

This may come as a bit of a shock, but I have trouble sitting still for long periods of time.

This is the funniest thing I've read all day! :laughing: I can't lay out and "tan" either. After about 5 minutes, I'm thinking "what else is there to do?"

DSCF1251.jpg

DSCF1252.jpg

DSCF1253.jpg

DSCF1254.jpg

"Newly-minted Sunken Treasure BEHOLD: the lifeguard; the windmill; people holding a meeting in the path of the lazy river riders; and lastly, the flying jib slide and some really nice shrubbery!

Now, I will drink thee."

I took a video and I am trying to upload it to Photobucket so I can post it here and on the thread, but I’m not having any luck so far.

Oh snap.

Is that the upstairs gazebo where the pool table was...on the right side of this picture?

All caught up again! Sorry for falling a few updates behind...

Very smart idea to leave MK around lunchtime and work your way around the F &W booths until you hit the exit you needed. That's brilliant planning on your part. And that chocolate baklava looked delicious!

Man, every time I see your SB pictures, I tell myself I need to book my next vacation at the Beach Club. The pool just looks so relaxing. Add that Sunken Treasure to the mix, and I could stay in one those pool chairs all afternoon.
I am glad to see that your Fuji managed to capture photos, even if they weren't showing up on the reader. Technology can be so fickle, sometimes.

Can't wait to hear about your MNSSHP experience!

Joining! I'm a few updates in but will work on getting completely caught up soon as I'm loving it so far! Can't believe I haven't joined you for a TR in the past, I see you around here lots! :goodvibes

I'm glad you were able to get the pictures from the Fuji camera. Interesting that they were only accessible from the computer, not the card reader ... but technology is funny like that sometimes.

I really need to get myself to Stormalong Bay some day ... it looks so nice and relaxing!

I think the issue with the pictures is that they needed to be uploaded from the SDcard to a computer and that the card reader did not perform that function. I'm glad that I continued to have some faith in the camera and that I used it throughout the trip.

If you love pool time, there is no better place than Stormalong Bay! The funny thing is, on trips with my family, the boys are more focused on the parks and rides, so we never have much pool time. Mark and I are learning to appreciate a bit of poolside downtime on vacation when we are traveling alone. Or we take a break and leave the boys for a bit.

:fish:

As I have said throughout this report, this trip was a celebration of our 30th wedding anniversary. The symbol of 3 decades of marriage is the pearl, so I thought a great souvenir for this trip would be to do the Pick-a-Pearl ceremony in Japan.
Seems appropriate.

But I wasn’t going to let that happen to my Anniversary Pearl!

For Christmas, I got this setting (ordered from eBay)
Awesome! Much better than a plastic bag stuck in a drawer!

I'm glad the camera issue wasn't really that big of a deal, despite maybe a little added stress and concern. Thanks for the tour of Stormalong Bay! :thumbsup2

Yes, sneaky to take pictures without Mark noticing. But surprisingly, most of them are blurry and just not good! Not sure why I bother!

This is the funniest thing I've read all day! :laughing: I can't lay out and "tan" either. After about 5 minutes, I'm thinking "what else is there to do?"

Sitting still is not my strong suit. Sounds like you can sympathize!

"Newly-minted Sunken Treasure BEHOLD: the lifeguard; the windmill; people holding a meeting in the path of the lazy river riders; and lastly, the flying jib slide and some really nice shrubbery!

Now, I will drink thee."

I don't drink often (cheapskate), so when I do, I make it a royal ceremony!

Is that the upstairs gazebo where the pool table was...on the right side of this picture?

Yes, indeed, that is the gazebo. If you look closely, you can see a shadowy figure standing by the pool table.

::yes::

All caught up again! Sorry for falling a few updates behind...

Very smart idea to leave MK around lunchtime and work your way around the F &W booths until you hit the exit you needed. That's brilliant planning on your part. And that chocolate baklava looked delicious!

Man, every time I see your SB pictures, I tell myself I need to book my next vacation at the Beach Club. The pool just looks so relaxing. Add that Sunken Treasure to the mix, and I could stay in one those pool chairs all afternoon.
I am glad to see that your Fuji managed to capture photos, even if they weren't showing up on the reader. Technology can be so fickle, sometimes.

Can't wait to hear about your MNSSHP experience!

No worries on getting behind- it's not like I am speeding along with updates here!

We were pretty pleased with our lunch plans- but it did mean that we missed out on our MK favorite, Columbia Harbor House.

Stormalong Bay is incredible. There are lots of areas for little ones (the sandcastle area) and even a little kiddie pool and slide at the base of the big slide. However, the most common complaint I hear is that when the kids are a little older but not quite at the age where they can swim without supervision, it can be tough to keep an eye on them. The pool is separated into different sections, so if one kid wants to be in the lazy river, and the other one is on the slide or in the swirling whirlpool, parents have to divide and conquer. Not exactly the relaxing fantasy you are envisioning!

I'm glad the Fuji continued to hold up during the trip!

:scared:

Joining! I'm a few updates in but will work on getting completely caught up soon as I'm loving it so far! Can't believe I haven't joined you for a TR in the past, I see you around here lots! :goodvibes

:welcome:

Thanks so much for reading along!

I am not exactly breaking speed records with my postings, so hopefully it won't be too hard for you to catch up.

I love writing and reading trip reports and getting to know the people who hang out here on the DIS!

:goodvibes

Seems appropriate.

Awesome! Much better than a plastic bag stuck in a drawer!

I don't wear much for jewelry other than my engagement and wedding rings -lucky Mark doesn't have to keep me in diamonds or rubies- but my pearl Mickey necklace has become a favorite fashion accessory for me. I always get compliments when I wear it and then I can tell the story about getting it on my anniversary trip to Disney!

I'm glad the camera issue wasn't really that big of a deal, despite maybe a little added stress and concern. Thanks for the tour of Stormalong Bay! :thumbsup2

My pleasure!

I hope you get to experience the pool and the Beach Club someday with your clan.

:fish:

Pre-Party Play

As I mentioned in the last update, we got dressed in our “elaborate costumes”

Mark didn’t really want to do anything, but I purchased matching Hakuna Matata t-shirts for us to wear. He didn’t see them before the trip and when it was time to change, he said with resignation,

“OK, let’s see it”

I brought along Meerkat ears for me and a Warthog nose from him, but I went easy on him and didn’t insist that he wear it. I limited the time I wore my headband.

We stopped off in the lounge for a snack before heading to the Magic Kingdom, it must have been sometime around 5.

While there, we saw our friends Rosa and Carlos and chatted with them a bit. They were leaving for home that evening, I believe.

Our bus ride to the MK was uneventfull and we arrived at the MK a little before 6 pm.

We got our party wrist bands just inside the tapstiles but the cast member didn’t ask to see the print out of our party tickets. I don’t remember if they scanned our Magic Bands or not. I couldn’t figure out how they knew we were party guests…

The line was pretty long at this Photopass spot on Main Street, maybe 8-10 families before us, but I really wanted our picture here.

IMG_8265.jpg

MK_TSHOLIDAY_20161018_7834393457.jpeg

MK_TSHOLIDAY_20161018_7834393027.jpeg

We finished up our Photoshoot just as Move-it, Shake-it Mickey was passing by:

IMG_8270.jpg

We had about an hour before party festivities would start.

Where to?

We made our way to Adventureland. We hadn’t been on Jungle Cruise yet for the trip and the standby queue was not too long, so we hopped on board.

DSCF1048.jpg

Harry Potter fans- is this a spider or is the Monster Book of Monsters?

(sorry both of these pictures suck, but I love the similarities with these props)

DSCF1049.jpg

DSCF5789.jpg

The talent of the skipper can really make or break the ride, and we had a really good one!

You have been on this ride enough times to supply the jokes:

DSCF1053.jpg

DSCF1058.jpg

DSCF1062.jpg

DSCF1065.jpg

DSCF1066.jpg

DSCF1079.jpg

We survived our river safari. Are we going to brave pirates?

We ARRRRRGH!

pirate:

There was a photographer outside the building so we stopped for pictures. This would be a great place to don my full costume:

MK_PIRATES_20161018_7834432853.jpeg

It was now 7:00.

Next up: Let’s Get This Party Started!

IMG_8271.jpg

Mark didn’t really want to do anything, but I purchased matching Hakuna Matata t-shirts for us to wear. He didn’t see them before the trip and when it was time to change, he said with resignation,

“OK, let’s see it”
I don't blame him a bit. And I'm glad you didn't make him wear the nose all night or anything like that.

The talent of the skipper can really make or break the ride, and we had a really good one!
::yes:: I'm glad you had a good one!

I like the Hakuna Matata shirts ... and your meerkat ears look great with the shirt!

I haven't done the Jungle Cruise in many years. I really should probably do it again at some point. I'm guessing some of the jokes are still the same, but some of them might have changed.

Love your matching shirts! The photos looking down main street are the best! It would have been cool to get one silly photo with your ears and his nose on.

I haven't done the regular Jungle cruise in 2-3 years now. It has been the Jingle Cruise when I go. It is always enjoyable.

Being the punster that I am, I really enjoy the Jungle Cruise. It's not necessarily the content, but the delivery. I remind Fedex of that every time!
Great pre-party start!

Last edited:
I'm all caught up! I've so enjoyed reading so far and look forward to more tales of your night at MNNSHP! I passed on the opportunity to attend one solo a few years back and have deeply regretted it ever since! I must work to rectify that mistake! Love your matching shirts :goodvibes

What great pictures of you and Mark especially when you're kissing :love2:
Yes that's the monster book from the Harry Potter film Prisoner of Azkaban ( had to ask DD which film)
You're matching shirts are cute looking forward to reading your report and see pics from MNSSHP :hmghost:

Your shirts are really cute! I'm not very creative, so that would be perfect for me.

I'm a fan of the Jungle Cruise. I love all the original rides and attractions that I feel Walt had a hand in creating.

In all of my fall trips, I've only done the MNSSHP once. I enjoyed it, but the tightwad in me hates paying the extra amount for the party ticket. Add in the fact that it was crazy crowded makes me think I'll never get my husband back. I know they only sell a certain amount of tickets, but it was so crowded that night. I wondered if people just stayed that were already there that day.

Love love love the picture of the 2 of you in Main Street. The Halloween decorations are just gorgeous too. Looking forward to hearing more about your night:)

Oh and I LOVE your ears :)

Last edited:
The shirts look really nice on both of you. I'm glad he joined in the fun.

We've seen lots of families in matching shirts on this trip. It has become really popular.

So I couldn't get Mark to wear the warthog nose, but here is my friend John wearing it when we performed Hakuna Matata in front of 600 middle school students and their families at a variety show fundraiser. Someday I hope to post the performance online so I can share it, a friend has isolated the track from recording of the show, but has not provided it to me yet.

Hakuna1.JPG

I don't blame him a bit. And I'm glad you didn't make him wear the nose all night or anything like that.

I was lucky to get him to wear the shirt. I know when not to push my luck!

::yes:: I'm glad you had a good one!

The talent of the Jungle Cruise skipper really makes or breaks the trip.

:sail:

I like the Hakuna Matata shirts ... and your meerkat ears look great with the shirt!

I haven't done the Jungle Cruise in many years. I really should probably do it again at some point. I'm guessing some of the jokes are still the same, but some of them might have changed.

I think I ordered the shirts from Target online and they were 2 for $20, so easy and inexpensive.

And I already had the ears (see above)

The first few times I visited Disney, I did not go on Jungle Cruise because it was either down for refurbishment or the line was too long, so it has forever been imprinted in my mind as an "E ticket" ride. There are usually one or two new jokes added each time we ride. My favorite was as we were going into the dark tunnel and the driver did a Willy Wonka spiel. But that has only happened once.

:goodvibes

Love your matching shirts! The photos looking down main street are the best! It would have been cool to get one silly photo with your ears and his nose on.

I haven't done the regular Jungle cruise in 2-3 years now. It has been the Jingle Cruise when I go. It is always enjoyable.

Mark doesn't really do "silly" that well.

:rotfl2:

I really like the Main Street shots too. It's cool because the Move It Shake It parade was going on so the street was clear. But in all of the pictures we had taken except for the kiss photo, there either people crossing the road (like the picture above) or random body parts. In this picture, there is a woman's arm coming from behind Mark's head.

MK_TSHOLIDAY_20161018_7834393021 - Copy.jpeg

:laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!