A Private, Romantic 30th Anniversary Trip- Just Ask My Friends! Last Afternoon: EP p. 37 9/19

Next Up: I Picked a Winner

30th%20Anniversary.jpg

As I have said throughout this report, this trip was a celebration of our 30th wedding anniversary. The symbol of 3 decades of marriage is the pearl, so I thought a great souvenir for this trip would be to do the Pick-a-Pearl ceremony in Japan.

One of my dear Disney friends has a great tradition of doing this at least once every trip in attempt to get enough pearls to eventually make a necklace that she can gift to a future daughter-in-law. Very sweet!

On our August 2015 Monkey Business trip, I documented the ceremony for her.

I wanted to capture the same memories while I participated in this activity, so I asked Mark to take some pictures.

Here are the pictures I took (literally singlehandedly) during my Pick-A-Pearl experience:

DSCF0976.jpg

On advice of my ~Ninja friend, I went for the hairiest, ugliest one

DSCF0978.jpg

DSCF0979.jpg

DSCF0980.jpg

I had done a Pick-A-Pearl on a visit to Sea World years ago and got two pearls then, although they are still in the little plastic bag from when I got them. I never put them into a setting.

But I wasn’t going to let that happen to my Anniversary Pearl!

For Christmas, I got this setting (ordered from eBay)

IMG_9306.jpg

I love it!

We had one more Food & Wine stop that afternoon- Morocco.

We chose two things here

DSCF0982.jpg

Spicy Hummus Fries with Cucumber, Tomato, Onion and Tzatziki Sauce

DSCF0981.jpg

DSCF0984.jpg

Chocolate Baklava

During my January trip visiting Teena, I had a solo lunch at Spice Road Table and I ordered the Hummus Fries on the menu there. I wanted to make sure Mark had a chance to try them.

I’ll give it an A-. They were not quite as good as the ones I had a few months earlier, but they good and satisfied my craving for exotic cuisine.

I’ll award a good solid A for dessert. Because.Chocolate.Baklava.

It was 1:30 and we had been going since our early morning pre-opening at Magic Kingdom. We started to make our way back to the resort so we could have some pool and relaxation time before our night time activities.

DSCF0985.jpg

We stopped off at my favorite Photopass spot for a couple of couple pictures:

EPCOT_IGFRLOWBRIDGEICON_20161018_7834059993.jpeg

Next Up: We Play at the ‘Bay and Party Time

PS- Bonus Points if you can tell me the topical reason why I almost named the upcoming chapter: (You Gotta) Fight For Your Right To Paaar-tay!

Last edited:
Baklava YUMMMM and one of my favorite Photo spots as well (the bridge)

Hmmm, a Beastie Boys reference... does it involve the Swim team? From the Monkey trip. (total guess)

Pick a pearl seems like a very cool experience and what a great way to celebrate your anniversary!

I've never had baklava but that does look good.

Wow Dee very cool and the setting you got on EBay is gorgeous!
What a great way to celebrate 30 years :lovestruc
Chocolate Baklava yummy ::yes::
Beautiful shot on the bridge I can't wait till November.

Pick-a-Pearl is such a great anniversary idea! The setting you bought is so beautiful.

That Chocolate Baklava looks amazing. So good. It's making me very hungry for something yummy and chocolate.

How I love Food & Wine Festival and eating around the world! That chocolate baklava looks fantastic!

I have a friend who collects the pick a pearls to make a necklace for a granddaughter. I wish I would have thought of doing something like that years ago.

I love the setting you got for your pearl. Did you have to take it to a jeweler to have the pearl set?

I love that setting you got for the pearl. I have never done that before, but have seen it.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE F&W!! I tried everything you had except the butter chicken and baklava. I just never have room for dessert. I really liked the Korean BBQ.
This week SW will open flights to book for F&W....can't wait.
I am so done with snow and especially cold wether. School is cancelled yet again today and we are supposed to get a nor'easter next week! What?!!!

Food and wine looks amazing. I'd love to visit during it sometime. The bridge at France is such a great photo spot and just perfect for a romantic pic or two :)
The pearl and it's setting make a gorgeous anniversary gift :)

Looks like you got a really nice pearl from pick-a-pearl. Going for the ugliest one works every time. (When talking pearls, not spouses of course. Don't want to get myself in trouble.)

Baklava YUMMMM and one of my favorite Photo spots as well (the bridge)

Hmmm, a Beastie Boys reference... does it involve the Swim team? From the Monkey trip. (total guess)

No way could I pass up chocolate baklava!!! It wasn't as sweet or nutty as traditional baklava, though. Not much honey. But. Chocolate!

See above for Beastie Boys tie-in and yikes, now I feel super old!

:eek:

Pick a pearl seems like a very cool experience and what a great way to celebrate your anniversary!

I've never had baklava but that does look good.

As soon as I learned that the 30th is the Pearl Anniversary, I knew that would be the perfect thing to do for our anniversary trip.

If you like nuts, honey and flaky pastry, you must try baklava.

::yes::

Wow Dee very cool and the setting you got on EBay is gorgeous!
What a great way to celebrate 30 years :lovestruc
Chocolate Baklava yummy ::yes::
Beautiful shot on the bridge I can't wait till November.

Thanks!

I know the carriage setting is the traditional one for pick-a-pearl, but I'm not a very princessy gal. The Mickey cage was just perfect.

The baklava was a perfect dessert nibble.

That is a great photopass spot. Some of my favorite pictures of the two of us were taken here. And some of the funniest pictures of my whole family.

Photo0177 - Copy.jpg

NOT our 2010 Christmas Card!

:santa:

I love your pearl setting. So nice!

Thank you! The necklace has been my go-to piece of jewelry lately. It gets a lot of compliments and I always tell the story of how I got it.

Makes a nice change from the goat-rooster-pig-donkey stories!

:rotfl2:

Pick-a-Pearl is such a great anniversary idea! The setting you bought is so beautiful.

That Chocolate Baklava looks amazing. So good. It's making me very hungry for something yummy and chocolate.

Thank you! The setting was exactly what I wanted.

Everything makes me hungry for chocolate!!!

::yes::

How I love Food & Wine Festival and eating around the world! That chocolate baklava looks fantastic!

I have a friend who collects the pick a pearls to make a necklace for a granddaughter. I wish I would have thought of doing something like that years ago.

I love the setting you got for your pearl. Did you have to take it to a jeweler to have the pearl set?

It was fun to see the selections at all of the F&W booths. I loved seeing the large signs with menus and a featured food item as you walked by. I may have taken a picture or two of those signs along the way, although I didn't get all of them!

The setting cage has a door that opens easily, but when you put the chain through it, it keeps the door closed so the pearl will not fall out.

This setting was $30-something, but there were some very similar ones for around $12-15. The Pick-A-Pearl was $18, including tax.

:thumbsup2

I love that setting you got for the pearl. I have never done that before, but have seen it.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE F&W!! I tried everything you had except the butter chicken and baklava. I just never have room for dessert. I really liked the Korean BBQ.
This week SW will open flights to book for F&W....can't wait.
I am so done with snow and especially cold wether. School is cancelled yet again today and we are supposed to get a nor'easter next week! What?!!!

The butter chicken could have been spicier.

The baklava is worth a stop.

I don't like what I am hearing about Tuesday's snow!!!

:cold: :faint:

Food and wine looks amazing. I'd love to visit during it sometime. The bridge at France is such a great photo spot and just perfect for a romantic pic or two :)
The pearl and it's setting make a gorgeous anniversary gift :)

I am so glad we finally made it to Disney in the fall! Food & Wine was awesome, the Halloween party was fun and the weather was spectacular!

It was a lovely afternoon.

:goodvibes

Looks like you got a really nice pearl from pick-a-pearl. Going for the ugliest one works every time. (When talking pearls, not spouses of course. Don't want to get myself in trouble.)

I am pleased with my pearl!

Jimmy Soul gives different advice in his song "If you want to be happy for the rest of your life..." but you definitely went against his recommendation! Tell Judy I say hello!

:wave2:

No way could I pass up chocolate baklava!!! It wasn't as sweet or nutty as traditional baklava, though. Not much honey. But. Chocolate!

See above for Beastie Boys tie-in and yikes, now I feel super old!

:eek:
I used to record them on MTV, you know when they actually had videos :) I played that cassette SO much. And we had a family pic at the same spot where Maddie was literally rolling her eyes....it would've been a great pic LOL

Bonus Points if you can tell me the topical reason why I almost named the upcoming chapter: (You Gotta) Fight For Your Right To Paaar-tay!

View attachment 224841

30 years ago this week, the Beastie Boy's "License to Ill" became the first rap album to hit #1 on the Billboard chart.

Word!

:music:
Wow that song is 30 years old!? Even me at 18 knows that one.

So my DS15 went through a phase of listening to the beastie boys last year. He would say, "mom do you remember this song?" Lol. I was like yes how do you know it?? His friend who drove him to school would listen to them on his phone. It was kinda funny.
I'm guessing the connection to the song I has something to do with MNSSHP???

BTW are you in a blizzard warning???
We are just winter storm as of right now.
UGH!! There goes 2 days out of school.
:mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter