A Gem of a Birthday-Celebrating my 40th@AKL(No Kids!)11/03 Link to Next report!

Oh my $$ is on you to make it to Target!!!

Your parents are wonderful, it must have been fun for them to share that time with the kids.

Waiting to read more!!!

Cool you started your TR. I am 14 days (after midnight anyway lol) away from leaving and I am not even close to being as organized as you are. Hope you get to Target (did not know that it was only in America)

That is so funny about your whole plan and then it going out the window....well only so far I hope. It works the same way for me although the plans are usually just in our heads and not told to others so the others aren't aware of any plan and totally don't understand why we get upset......I always have a plan that is usually messed up. Hubby and I are going away next weekend and hubby just thinks we are going to a resort and going treetop trekking .... he has no idea of the minute by minute plans that are in my head.....trouble.!!
Can't wait to hear details of the disney days.....the photo's are great by the way...laying by the pool with a drink!! heaven.

You know how when you've just finished a Disney trip and don't know when your next one will be how disapointed you feel?

I've been feeling this way.:guilty:

Dh said we could go again in 2011 when our extended family were planning to go. I'm all for that. It's just that it seems like a looong time.

So just recently I've discovered that the diamond clan might be heading back to WDW earlier than that. We are switching Dance studios and the one we're looking into will be going to a competition in WDW in July 2010.

Is it wrong to pick a dance studio based on a possible dance competition in WDW?

I suppose since we haven't even signed up yet and I haven't mentioned it to Dh yet that it's too early to insert a ticker in signature?

Doesn't sound like things got off to the greatest start! I hope things get better in the next post :flower3:

Actually for travelling with Dh this start wasn't bad. He is never on time for anything!

Oh my $$ is on you to make it to Target!!!

Your parents are wonderful, it must have been fun for them to share that time with the kids.

Waiting to read more!!!

You'll have to wait and see if I make it to Target or not. Yes, my parents are great and had been looking forward to an extended stay with the kids. They came loaded with sugary snack food and plans to have a "stay up all night" night.

Cool you started your TR. I am 14 days (after midnight anyway lol) away from leaving and I am not even close to being as organized as you are. Hope you get to Target (did not know that it was only in America)

Sadly Target is not in Canada yet. We have a department store called zeller's that carries some of their lines but it is not the same thing.

I bet you're more organized than you think. I certainly didn't feel organized.

That is so funny about your whole plan and then it going out the window....well only so far I hope. It works the same way for me although the plans are usually just in our heads and not told to others so the others aren't aware of any plan and totally don't understand why we get upset......I always have a plan that is usually messed up. Hubby and I are going away next weekend and hubby just thinks we are going to a resort and going treetop trekking .... he has no idea of the minute by minute plans that are in my head.....trouble.!!
Can't wait to hear details of the disney days.....the photo's are great by the way...laying by the pool with a drink!! heaven.

I always have a plan in my head and contingency plans as well. Some of them are just too detailed to explain to anyone. Could be why I love being a teacher. I get to plan and be in charge all the time. Of course the fact that I love kids, love breaking into song and wearing seasonally decorated clothing helps.

You've seen the sneak peak of the photo's on facebook. No more spilling secrets!

I completely know how you feel....when we get home I am so depressed and think.....is it too early to start planning for next year? :rolleyes1

I'm not sure what's happening for us after the trip this summer, Jasmine really needs to get a job and she is going into grade 12 in the fall so we have University to think of too.....keeping in mind I think I may have spent her education fund on WDW trips:sad2:

Can't wait for morepopcorn::

I completely know how you feel....when we get home I am so depressed and think.....is it too early to start planning for next year? :rolleyes1

I'm not sure what's happening for us after the trip this summer, Jasmine really needs to get a job and she is going into grade 12 in the fall so we have University to think of too.....keeping in mind I think I may have spent her education fund on WDW trips:sad2:

Can't wait for morepopcorn::

I can't believe someone as fabulous looking as you has an almost University age daughter. It's just not possible.

Where is she (you) thinking of for next year?

Update please? I am anxiously waiting...

You'll be waiting for a while. It was a short trip and since I don't know when my next one will be I have decided to try and stretch this trip report out to a maximum of two updates a week. I don't work Mondays and Wednesdays so look for updates then.

Okay I have an idea when my next one might be but nothing is for sure yet. I mentioned above that we might switch dance studios and then go to a dance competition at WDW in early July. There are plans rolling around in my head. Such as, the dance competition is off site. Would we stay offsite to be close to the competition and then move to onsite later? You all have no idea how annoying Dh is during dance competitions. He forgets that he is the lowest on the totem pole and drives us all crazy. So maybe I could convince Nanny to come down with me for the dance competition with Eeoyre, Cindy and I and then Dh, Jedi and Poppa can arrive later when we switch to onsite. Then again I promised the kids that next time we go we would stay at the Nick Hotel. So I have to look into that to. But I really haven't given it much thought.:rolleyes1

Okay I have an idea when my next one might be but nothing is for sure yet. I mentioned above that we might switch dance studios and then go to a dance competition at WDW in early July. There are plans rolling around in my head. Such as, the dance competition is off site. Would we stay offsite to be close to the competition and then move to onsite later? You all have no idea how annoying Dh is during dance competitions. He forgets that he is the lowest on the totem pole and drives us all crazy. So maybe I could convince Nanny to come down with me for the dance competition with Eeoyre, Cindy and I and then Dh, Jedi and Poppa can arrive later when we switch to onsite. Then again I promised the kids that next time we go we would stay at the Nick Hotel. So I have to look into that to. But I really haven't given it much thought.:rolleyes1

LOL!!! Why do you think that Aisling is still in dance lessons??? Our studio goes to Disney every 3-4 years. They went last year so I figure by the time they go again, Aisling will be in the "big girl" classes and be able to go :thumbsup2;)

Ok, how sweet are you? Oh by the way loved your last reply to Peg, I was killing myself laughing, I couldn't wait until Jasmine got home to show her.:rotfl2:

I honestly don't know if we will get there next year....just typing that makes me a little nausceous:sick:I would love to surprise Jasmine with a cruise for her graduation, but honestly, don't know if I can afford it:confused:

Maybe the year after Peg and Geodoc will let us tag along again,.....I can be the nanny!!!!:eek: Unfortunately we did traumatize Snow last year on the flight so she never wants to fly with us again.....I really think this is why Peg and family are flying down 2 days before us:rolleyes1

I don't blame you for stretching it out....I would do the same thing:worship:

I started a pre-trip for August....I didn't think I would but now that I got into the techno age and have the internet at home, it's much easier than trying to get to Peg's on the weekend:sad2:

Ok, how sweet are you? Oh by the way loved your last reply to Peg, I was killing myself laughing, I couldn't wait until Jasmine got home to show her.:rotfl2:

I honestly don't know if we will get there next year....just typing that makes me a little nausceous:sick:I would love to surprise Jasmine with a cruise for her graduation, but honestly, don't know if I can afford it:confused:

Maybe the year after Peg and Geodoc will let us tag along again,.....I can be the nanny!!!!:eek: Unfortunately we did traumatize Snow last year on the flight so she never wants to fly with us again.....I really think this is why Peg and family are flying down 2 days before us:rolleyes1

I don't blame you for stretching it out....I would do the same thing:worship:

I started a pre-trip for August....I didn't think I would but now that I got into the techno age and have the internet at home, it's much easier than trying to get to Peg's on the weekend:sad2:

I popped over already.

I have made a vow never to fly with you either.

Hey!!! I am here, better late than never!!!:lmao:

Glad to see you! And you're not late. The drinking hasn't even started yet.

Hey, newbie here. Just wanted to tell you I really REALLY enjoyed your other 2 TRs. In fact your TR was one of the TRs that inspired me to create and account and write one of my own reports. I liked how you not only wrote about the good times but you wrote about the...not so good times as well. Although there are a lot of enjoyable TRs on here, the ones that mention the not so good times are more entertaining.:laughing: I can't wait to hear about your short trip with your husband!

Hey, newbie here. Just wanted to tell you I really REALLY enjoyed your other 2 TRs. In fact your TR was one of the TRs that inspired me to create and account and write one of my own reports. I liked how you not only wrote about the good times but you wrote about the...not so good times as well. Although there are a lot of enjoyable TRs on here, the ones that mention the not so good times are more entertaining.:laughing: I can't wait to hear about your short trip with your husband!

Welcome. Thanks for the lovely comments. The human mind is amazing. It seems I'm the only one in the family that remembers the meltdowns.

Absolutely love your TR title. It caught my attention.

I'm subbing too! I am so excited for your PTR, because it's an adults only trip AND you are staying at AKL. I am staying there in July and I feel like no one who stays there writes TR :rotfl: Subbing!

Oooh I hope you get to Target! I was really bummed that we didn't get there in May... but since we're renting a car in June I have my fingers crossed that we'll be able to make a stop!

I totally understand wanting to take it slow with your TR. Eagerly awaiting the next update though!:goodvibes

Oh, and... I think picking a studio based on Disney trips is a completely acceptable reason!:rotfl:

Obviously we did leave home eventually.

It just felt like a long time to me.

I had told my parents their babysitting duties would start after school. I had put them in charge of making dinner, driving Eeoyre (DS10) to and from dance, supervising homework and piano practice. Okay so I didn’t believe that they’d do the homework and piano practice but I had to at least mention it. In reality I had set up a date with the kids piano teacher so that the kids could practice with her. My parents are musically illiterate. Plus they are grandparents. They don’t exactly “tell” my children what to do. They suggest, they cajole and when necessary they bribe. I didn’t figure any of that would actually work on piano practicing.

So while I was waiting for my beloved hubby to finish whatever it was that was so important it was keeping us from starting our vacation and most importantly a trip to Target my parents were in full swing of unpacking lunches, making dinner, settling their own belongings in their room, playing games with the kids, giving them dinner, picking up Eeoyre from dance, bathtime, before bed reading time, washing up the dinner dishes and walking the dogs (mine and theirs). Most of these things were done by Nanny and even done with a smile. She is awesome. On top of all the things that she does for us she truly understands the kids. She “gets” them as people. I’m truly grateful for all her help (and Poppa’s).

I never even asked her if she would do this weekend for me. I just called her up (months before) and told her I wanted to go away with Dh for my 40th birthday and needed her to look after the kids.

“Should I put this on the calendar Dear?”

“Yes Mom”.

“All weekend Dear?”

“Yes. Well, like a long weekend. We want to go away from the Friday to the Monday” I answered her.

“So I should mark on the calendar that we’ll be coming up on Friday night and leaving on Monday afternoon?”

“Well, umm.. I was hoping that we would leave early Friday so I’d need you to already be there Friday morning.”

“So I’ll mark down Thursday night to Monday afternoon shall I?”

“Yes, Thursday night would be great. But umm… we might not get in until later on Monday night. I’ll have to check out the flights and get back to you okay?”

“Yes, I’m just marking this down in pencil on the calendar. When you book your flights then I will go over it pen. You did say you haven’t booked them yet right?”

In my Mother’s World there is a marked difference between activities on the calendar in pen and in pencil. Clearly she didn’t believe I would pull this weekend off.

“Not yet. But I will soon. I’ve got my eye on a direct flight coming home at a good price.”

“Now Dear, you are going to fly out of Toronto this time aren’t you?”

“The flights I’m looking at are so much cheaper out of Buffalo.”

“I can’t abide all that nonsense of flying out of another country. It just doesn’t seem right. Surely you can find something reasonable from Toronto. I hate the thought of you driving all those extra miles to that airport.”

It should be noted that my Mom retired from Air Canada. She feels even mentioning the names of other airlines and consequently competing airports is traitorous.

“I know you worry Mom. But I just can’t beat the prices flying out of Buffalo. I’ve done it a few times now and there’s nothing for you to worry about.”

“Now Dear, I’ll tell you when I have nothing to worry about.”

She didn’t quite believe this weekend was actually going to happen. I don’t know if she ever changed it from pencil to pen in her calendar. Regardless, she showed up ready for duty at the prescribed time with a smile on her face.

I thought I would add this part about my relationship with my Mother to illustrate just how long I was waiting for Dh. Long enough to spend time evaluating my relationship with my Mother.

Long enough that there was no reason to pick up a meal on the road as I ate dinner with the family.

Long enough to help clean up after dinner.

Long enough to ask Eeoyre (DS10) how his 2 hour dance class was as he was back from it.

Long enough to listen to Jedi (DS6) explain the star wars trilogy.

Long enough that my daughter taught me the Hannah Montana throwdown Hoedown dance BACKWARDS!

So in case you haven’t taken the hint it was a friggin gosh darn long time that I waited for that man!

It wasn’t easy getting out of the house. The kids (who seemed okay with the idea of Mommy and Daddy leaving when it was spoken about in a future tense) suddenly decided they didn’t want us to go. They were fine until Dh poked his head up out of the basement.

“Okay, I’m almost ready to go now. Have you packed my stuff yet?”

“Honey” now this was said in a very sarcastic voice “It’s been packed and loaded in the car for three hours now!”

“Oh, what time is it anyhow?’ He says innocently. Like he doesn’t know. The time is displayed on his monitor and he had a big clock up above his computer. I’m not buying any of his innocent act. He knows what time it is.

“Time to GO.”

At this word the troops fall in.

“You’re not going now Mommy are you?” Cindy (DD8) asks.

“Don’t go Mommy” Jedi (DS6) says as he throws himself against me.

“Take me with you” says Eeoyre (DS10). “I’ll be on time. I’m ready to go now. You can just leave Daddy here and take me.”

It seemed like a tempting thought at the time. Dh was not starting out in my good books.

“Aw guys, you know we love you but it’s time for Mommy and Daddy to have some time to themselves. We’ll be back soon (notice I don’t actually but a time limit to it) and you’ll have Nanny and Poppa to spoil you silly until we get back. You’ll probably have more fun than we will.” Not that I believe this because what is more fun than Disney but I have to put up a strong front for the kids.

They still don’t quite buy it and Cindy (DD8) runs to block the front door.

d30e8fcc.jpg

Then Jedi (DS6) runs to block the back door.

21075f50.jpg

After some extra hugs, Nanny saved the day and distracted the kids with a package of sugar covered little donuts she had brought with her. Dh and I finally escaped while they consumed the white powdery baked goods in another room. They barely waved goodbye after the package was opened.

It was 8:10 when we finally drove out of the driveway. That is sooo much later than I wanted to leave that it bears repeating 8 fringging 10 in the evening.

We still had a three hour drive to get to our Hotel and a border to cross on the way.

I took the first shift driving. I was too impatient to sit there in the passenger seat. I had been sitting for hours already and I felt it was time for action.

“Do you know where you’re going?” Dh asks.

I’m thinking is this man for real? Do I know where I’m going? Of course I know where I’m going. I have preprogrammed our GPS and I have a printout from mapquest. I’m good to go. I have to take a few moments to calm myself before answering. After all he hasn’t paid any attention to amount of detail that I have put into this trip. He just knows I’m on the computer all the time. He hasn’t actually listened when I’ve shared information regarding this trip. I doubt if right now he could tell me what airline, what resort, what parks, what restaurants any information about this trip.

Wouldn’t it be blissful to just leave it all up to someone else.

Wait! No it wouldn’t. In fact I couldn’t stand not knowing where we were going or what we would be doing there.

Hello, control freak here. I could never just leave the planning to someone else. I’m the kind of person who reads the first 50 pages of a novel, and then has to read the end to find out what happens. Only then can I relax reading the rest of the story. I would never want someone else to plan my vacation.

So I guess I understand where he’s coming from. He didn’t want to know about the vacation when it was in the future. But now that it’s here in the present he wants to know. It’s like he works on a 4 hour time slot. He only wants to know what’s going on in the next four hours. I figured out the 4 hours because that’s how long he can go between meals.

Dh hates to but lots of time and effort into planning long term things. He’s a moment by moment kind of guy and I’m a I just figured out what we’re doing 9 months from now kind of girl. We cancel each other out. So I suppose it’s a good match.
Yes, that is why I married this man. He lets me plan things for him. He lets me pick out his wardrobe. He lets me plan. I love this about this man.

So why is that fact that he asked me if I knew where we were going bothering me. Am I thinking he doesn’t trust me? Cause that’s can’t be it. I shouldn’t let it bother me. I should just smile and say of course sweetie. I have the directions right here if you want to double check. I should just say these words. I know I should. Why am I still gritting my teeth in anger than?

Deep breathe Diamond. I tell myself. I can get through this. This is my husband that I love. (I know I keep dwelling on that but for some reason I needed reminding). We got off to a late start but not all is ruined. I can still have fun. I will have fun. I will enjoy Dh’s company. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

Moments later after many deep breaths I relaxed my hands on the steering wheel and said

“I know where we are going. I have the directions right here if you want to take a look.”

I was proud of myself for not blowing up. That counting to 10 thing really does work.

“Oh, good!” he proclaims.

Then surprises me with a “Thanks for doing that”.

To finish me off with a “This is gonna be great. I’m really looking forward to it”.

I smiled sweetly at him. An honest to goodness real smile. No trace of sarcasm in it at all. Honest!

I let myself relax and realize he is right. It was going to be great. And I had been looking forward to going this vacation too. My guard is down once again. At least until he asks me about the upcoming exit on the highway.

“Are you going to stop at the Tim Horton’s coming up?”

I’m wondering if this is a trick question. You see my hubby has read “The Wealthy Barber” and all those financial books that say if you saved what you spend on designer coffee each day you’d have a fortune. Dh takes it seriously. He hates it when I buy a coffee anywhere. Why would you when you can make your own at home he thinks? Of course he doesn’t drink Coffee so it is no problem for him to give it up.

I have made myself a cup a tea for the road. In an old refillable mug from Disney. You know the "Year of a Million Dreams one". Of course that year was really two but who am I to question the Math Logic of Disney-me a lmere kindergarten teacher.

Since I had my tea there was no need for me to get a cup of coffee. He has seen me drink from the cup. We are just 10 minutes from home. Why would I need to get a cup of coffee now?

It's not that I don't like coffee. I do. I like Tea too. When I order from Tim Horton’s I especially like half decaf coffee and half hot chocolate. You see I can’t drink caffine after 5pm or so. It really keeps me up. Now if I need to stay awake then I will drink it but since I was already excited enough. I was on my way Disney. Who needs caffine to get excited about that? There was no danger of me falling asleep at the wheel.

There was a danger of irritating my husband though. I know he hates it when I have a timmies (this is what we Canadian’s use to refer to Tim Horton’s products in an affectionate manner). So I don’t know why he asking if I’m going to stop there.

Is this a test? I know I’m already spending copious amounts of money on our weekend escapade do I dare put him over the top with a cup of coffee? I don’t know what the right answer to this riddle is so I decide to throw the question back in his pocket.

“Do you want to stop at Tim Horton’s?” Picture my eyes as wide as

“If we can.” He replies.

I search his inflection for any sign of how much danger I might be in. I decide to test the waters again.

“Is there something you want to get there?” I ask.

“No. I just have to go to the restroom.”

UGHHH! Not even 15 minutes on the road and the man needs to find a restroom.

I should have know it wasn’t a test. Men don’t set us up on tests. It’s the other way around. Geesh I need to relax a bit. This is no way to start out on our vacation. Just when I think I’m okay with it when he throws another curveball my way.

“You can pick up something at Timmie’s if you want. I have some money.”

Okay, it’s amazing I didn’t get us run over on the highway right then and there. I was shocked. Here was my husband suggesting I spend our hard earned cash on designer coffee. Wow. This sort of thing doesn’t happen often.

Let’s hope this happy go lucky mood lasts the whole weekend.

But what are the chances? I muttered to myself as I drove up to the door of the rest station and let Dh out.

I would be lying if I said it didn't cross my mind to take off and leave him. If only I had the guts to do a solo trip I might have.

Up next crossing the border. Do they actually let me in this time? Click here to find out.http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=31909827&postcount=90

Happy Mother's Day my friend!!!!:flower3:

Thank you. Had a lovely day. Hope yours was as well.

I'm subbing too! I am so excited for your PTR, because it's an adults only trip AND you are staying at AKL. I am staying there in July and I feel like no one who stays there writes TR :rotfl: Subbing!

We will eventually get to AKL. I promise. Glad to have you along for the ride. Hope you have a wonderful trip and stay there yourself.

Oooh I hope you get to Target! I was really bummed that we didn't get there in May... but since we're renting a car in June I have my fingers crossed that we'll be able to make a stop!

I totally understand wanting to take it slow with your TR. Eagerly awaiting the next update though!:goodvibes

Oh, and... I think picking a studio based on Disney trips is a completely acceptable reason!:rotfl:

Welcome back!

I hope I get to Target too!

Eeoyre tried out the new studio last night. He really like the Ballet Mistress and she pulled me aside and told me she was impressed with him. So it looks like all systems go and that means soon I can start planning for another trip to Disney!

You look a little shady to me so I'm guessing that you have problems at the border. But since I'm also a "read-ahead" kinda gal...I already looked at all your pics on FB so I know that you eventually get across ;) ;):rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter