• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A confused Alice needs help with resort decision

AliceinWonderland

Earning My Ears
My family is going to the Grand Floridian on November 27 thru December 3 (when value season starts). We love this resort. This will be our third stay. We have not tried any of the other resorts yet. It has been very convenient there with small children who love Magic Kingdom. We are going to be flying in early on November 25 which is the day after Thanksgiving. We had considered staying offsite these first two days until value season kicks in, but I just booked us at the Yacht Club for the first two days. I had thought about trying Port Orleans, but when I checked online I only saw rooms for 4. There are 5 of us - 2 adults and a 10, 7 and 3 year old. Then I checked Animal Kingdom, but the only availability was a room that was over $500 per night. I got the Yacht Club water view with a AAA discount for $364. The standard view was $334 per night with no AAA discount available. Is it worth it for the water view over the standard? The CM asked whether we wanted a view of the Stromalong Bay or the lake. Which view/location is the best? Is the pool view very noisy? What are the pool hours? Our GV room at Grand Floridian is $296 per night. We could upgrade to Sugar Loaf Concierge if we cancel our Yacht Club reservation and stay offsite the first two nights. Would this be a good option? Or we could just try to book a separate reservation for GF GV for the first 2 nights to avoid moving and still get the value season savings beginning on Nov 27. Is two nights at another resort too short to enjoy? Would it be better to get settled in for an eight night stay at the GF? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

AliceinWonderland said:
My family is going to the Grand Floridian on November 27 thru December 3 (when value season starts). We love this resort. This will be our third stay. We have not tried any of the other resorts yet. It has been very convenient there with small children who love Magic Kingdom. We are going to be flying in early on November 25 which is the day after Thanksgiving. We had considered staying offsite these first two days until value season kicks in, but I just booked us at the Yacht Club for the first two days. I had thought about trying Port Orleans, but when I checked online I only saw rooms for 4. There are 5 of us - 2 adults and a 10, 7 and 3 year old. Then I checked Animal Kingdom, but the only availability was a room that was over $500 per night. I got the Yacht Club water view with a AAA discount for $364. The standard view was $334 per night with no AAA discount available. Is it worth it for the water view over the standard? The CM asked whether we wanted a view of the Stromalong Bay or the lake. Which view/location is the best? Is the pool view very noisy? What are the pool hours? Our GV room at Grand Floridian is $296 per night. We could upgrade to Sugar Loaf Concierge if we cancel our Yacht Club reservation and stay offsite the first two nights. Would this be a good option? Or we could just try to book a separate reservation for GF GV for the first 2 nights to avoid moving and still get the value season savings beginning on Nov 27. Is two nights at another resort too short to enjoy? Would it be better to get settled in for an eight night stay at the GF? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

I've had a pool view at the Yacht Club but it was of the quiet pool, not SAB. It was nice but probably not worth 30$ more a night. A lake view would be, however. The view across the lake to the Boardwalk is really beautiful. We could see a glimpse of it during our concierge stay in the Beach club last Thanksgiving. SAB closes at 8pm (at least it did in Nov of last year). I'm not sure about the quiet pool. It was never loud, though. Yes, during the day at SAB, it can be loud with excited, swimming families :sunny:

I like moving around during our WDW stays because it gives me a different point from which to visit the parks. I think a couple nights at the Epcot area would be great before settling in over at the GF. Have fun princess:

1) Don't stay offsite - you will be disappointed. You just won't have the Disney magic, transportation to the parks will be a hassle, and moving yourself to Disney will be a hassle. Just too disruptive to your vacation!

2) Did you ask CRO about Port Orleans Riverside? Last thing I knew, you can fit 5 people in a room with a trundle bed, esp. since your little one is only 3 - you would still be onsite and save a lot of money.

3) YC and BC are awesome resorts, but then again you would be moving after just a couple of days, and that is a little disruptive - I would only do that if your whole family is keen on trying a new resort.

4) I would vote for staying at GF the whole time if you really love the resort.

5) Have you considered looking into annual passholder rates for resort rooms? You can reserve a room with an AP rate - you don't have to have an AP in hand until you check in. It might be worth it if just you or DH gets an AP for the HUGE savings in resort rates. Our family almost always stays in deluxes, but we wouldn't without our friend, the AP rate!

Good Luck, and welcome to the DIS boards :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter