A Blanket Apology To All the Car Renters

We‘ve been renting cars as soon as the youngest no longer needed a booster seat. I like the freedom (we stay at BLT so we walk to MK). And there’s been a few times with emergencies and it’s so easy to hop in the car and go to Walmart and pick things up. One time we even had to go to Walmart early morning and still made Epcot opening.

I have often seen people comment about how they will always rent a car and drive to the parks as they do not like Disney transportation or whatever their reason may be. I always thought that seemed odd. Sure, you sometimes have to wait for buses but all in all, Disney does a pretty good job of moving large amounts of people around reall very efficiently.

We also took Magical Express, got a grocery delivery from instacart or wherever, and went about our trip not having to navigate unfamiliar roads at all.

Since Magical Express is no longer free, it would have cost us approximately $150 to get our family to and from MCO. Still, not bad considering. But I told DH, in that tone that most people in relationships are familiar with, if we're going to spend $150 anyway, why don't we just throw a bit more money at it (ok 4 times but who's counting), and then we can just go to the grocery store ourselves and save lord knows how much over instacart and about the only time we have ever really resented the bus situation is at Disney Springs when we are headed back from the water park. We always seem to have a long wait there.

Now, we also own at Riviera and have been spoiled by the Skyliner. We are at AKV this time and are very much enjoying our stay buuuuttttt........buses are the only option and we have actually chosen to drive a few times. We were in Epcot yesterday and took the bus in the morning but when we went back in in the evening we drove since park close at Epcot is always the absolute worst for buses. It took exactly 15 minutes from walking out of the park to driving into the parking garage at AKV.

We are now officially car renters....at least for stays with the kids at resorts that are not on the Skyliner.

I see you car renters and I salute you as I am one of you.

Man, these DVC stays are really spoiling me.
We are renting a car for the first time in December. I think we are going to love it as I can relate to so many of these comments with our past trips. Is there dedicated DVC parking at every resort? Can you park in DVC parking at a resort that is not your home resort?

I see all the info about not driving to MK. Could you drive to the Contemporary and walk?

Thank you for any first time driving / parking tips.

We are renting a car for the first time in December. I think we are going to love it as I can relate to so many of these comments with our past trips. Is there dedicated DVC parking at every resort?
Can you park in DVC parking at a resort that is not your home resort?

I see all the info about not driving to MK. Could you drive to the Contemporary and walk?

No, the resorts don’t have dedicated DVC parking. Any guest can park in any available space at the resort they’re staying at. To park at a resort they’re not staying at requires an ADR or activity reservation (fireworks cruise, etc.).

The parking lot at CR is too small to allow people to use it as parking for MK. Only guests at the CR or BLT or those who have ADRs there can park.

We are renting a car for the first time in December. I think we are going to love it as I can relate to so many of these comments with our past trips. Is there dedicated DVC parking at every resort? Can you park in DVC parking at a resort that is not your home resort?

No, you can't park at CR/BLT to walk over to MK. If you aren't at a monorail resort and you don't want to take the bus then do a Minnie Van. It'll drop you off at the bus loop since it's part of Disney transpo.

facebook twitter