A Birthday Trip without a Birthday - 2/16: Conclusion and Bonus Birthday Tea

In 2006 we went the 2nd week of Oct due accompanying DD ballet group. Weather was not quite as hot, but still plenty warm for swimming daily.
In 2009, I went with girlfriends the 3rd week of Oct. and it was much cooler that trip. We needed jackets or sweatshirts in the mornings and evenings and it was comfortable with capris/short sleeves during the day.
So the best advice I can give you is to be sure to pack a few bits of clothes for cooler temps, but it should be mostly 80s.

I too have been in Oct. My favorite time of year.

As a kid I remember it being nice and warm but other than that, not much help.

I was also there in 2006 and it was warm but not real hot, 2009 there was a cold snap and one morning it was 43 degrees which is pretty cold for Oct.

2010 it was HOT. So just watch the weather and plan accordingly. :laughing:

Also it will be hurricane season so that adds an element of surprise to the equation. :eek:

In 2006 we went the 2nd week of Oct due accompanying DD ballet group. Weather was not quite as hot, but still plenty warm for swimming daily.
In 2009, I went with girlfriends the 3rd week of Oct. and it was much cooler that trip. We needed jackets or sweatshirts in the mornings and evenings and it was comfortable with capris/short sleeves during the day.
So the best advice I can give you is to be sure to pack a few bits of clothes for cooler temps, but it should be mostly 80s.

I was also there in 2006 and it was warm but not real hot, 2009 there was a cold snap and one morning it was 43 degrees which is pretty cold for Oct.

Also it will be hurricane season so that adds an element of surprise to the equation. :eek:

Thanks for the advice!! Did you ever go in October? We are a bit scared about the heat and we will definitely build in breaks in our plan! As well as two visits to the water parks!! :beach:

Carol and I were there last October and I found the weather to be perfect !! The humidity was okay and the temperature in the 80's but not unbearable at all !!I much preferred this time to February which I found to cool !!

Oh no! :scared1: I never thought of that! Magdalene, why didn't you tell me? Or were you afraid I wouldn't come on the trip with you? I'm very much afraid of all weather conditions that we don't have here in Central Europe...

DLP, DLP, DLP...

j/k ;)

great, and thorough update on your travel. Awesome savvy traveler move there getting better seats when you saw the aircraft change! Suh-weet! :thumbsup2

Still loving me some Lufthansa food. Best in the industry. They also serve a nice breakfast.

That's pretty amazing that your flights arrive within 5 minutes of one another! WOW! That's danged convenient! :yay:

Ok, I would like to get the 2006 weather please!! :goodvibes

Thanks for your input, that's why a PTR makes so much sense, you actually get lots of good advice from other posters! :thumbsup2

I just hope the hurricanes stay where they belong: out on the open sea!!

Carol and I were there last October and I found the weather to be perfect !! The humidity was okay and the temperature in the 80's but not unbearable at all !!I much preferred this time to February which I found to cool !!

I think weather can never be planned, but we will hope for weather just like you had it! :goodvibes

Oh no! :scared1: I never thought of that! Magdalene, why didn't you tell me? Or were you afraid I wouldn't come on the trip with you? I'm very much afraid of all weather conditions that we don't have here in Central Europe...

I must confess: I forgot about October being more in the hurrican season than November when we changed our dates... :blush:

DLP, DLP, DLP...

j/k ;)

great, and thorough update on your travel. Awesome savvy traveler move there getting better seats when you saw the aircraft change! Suh-weet! :thumbsup2

Still loving me some Lufthansa food. Best in the industry. They also serve a nice breakfast.

That's pretty amazing that your flights arrive within 5 minutes of one another! WOW! That's danged convenient! :yay:

I hope to get started with DLP during the weekend... I think what I will do is put pics together into albums thematically and then post a short intro here with a link to the slideshow. You really don't need to know how FP works at DLP and what we did in which order. I guess this way it becomes more of a picture book of or DLP trip. :goodvibes

I agree, Lufthansa manages to server some really tasty stuff even in economy. I would love to fly business or first class with them, just imagine how good that food would be... :cloud9:

I wouldn't worry Katharina I'm sure all will be fine. :)

Glad your plan of attack is done can't wait to hear about it and of course your DLP trip. ;)

I finally got around to make a new ticker for our trip! We liked the style of the DLP one so much that we kept it - just got different pictures from previous trips. A big thanks to Brook who provided the wonderful Boardwalk picture!! :flower3:

And I am very pround that this is not only a custom ticker, but I also finally mastered the art to make it a direct link to this PTR!! :cheer2:

Glad your plan of attack is done can't wait to hear about it and of course your DLP trip. ;)

I already called her this morning to tell her the same thing. :goodvibes

I hope to get a DLP post up this weekend!

Happy you have your flights booked :goodvibes I have yet to do that but have been looking at options :thumbsup2
I have been the last two Octobers and it has been hot....90's in 2009 and 80's and 90's last year but not unbearable at all like in the summer! Never had any hurricane problems so hopefully no worries about that :goodvibes I still have some ADR's to work out...I know where I want to eat and another diser and I have even been toying with the idea of eating at V&A :scared1:
Can't wait to hear about your DLP trip:yay:

Tracy

Love the new ticker ladies!!!

How exciting we get to start following along on the new plans so quickly! I used to live on the coast of North Carolina and it seems that September was the most abundant time for hurricanes. October seems to make for a busy Atlantic at times, but so many of those storms seem to turn and head north earlier or actually make a U-turn while still well out to sea!

Thank you. I guess I was a little bit surprised, but not really frightened. But wanted to add a little drama to our PTR...
Ah, the Queen of Suspense!!! Nice job Katharina!

If you girls haven't thought about attending one of the party nights yet, I highly recommend Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. The parade and fireworks are so completely different, and just the party atmosphere is so much fun. I have gone 3 times-kids dressed up the 2 times they were with. One year we dressed as a family as the Peter Pan crew. We had fun that year, but I found I preferred to just wear a Halloween shirt.:laughing: Pick a Tues or Thurs evening to do it, because the Sun or Friday ones are much busier with locals.
That is why I love October--Halloween party and Food/Wine Festival. And the weather is wonderful, too.

October is my favorite time of the year to attend Disney World, providing the "free dining" program is not occurring. :sad2:

The weather is great (most of the time) and the crowds are light in comparison to most months. You can swim most days without being too hot or too cold. Halloween decorations are out which adds to the festival atmosphere. True it is hurricane season but it is rare that inland Florida has any real issues with hurricanes.

Kate

I already called her this morning to tell her the same thing. :goodvibes

I hope to get a DLP post up this weekend!

Thank you. I guess I was a little bit surprised, but not really frightened. But wanted to add a little drama to our PTR...

Thank you!!!

How exciting we get to start following along on the new plans so quickly! I used to live on the coast of North Carolina and it seems that September was the most abundant time for hurricanes. October seems to make for a busy Atlantic at times, but so many of those storms seem to turn and head north earlier or actually make a U-turn while still well out to sea!

Sorry I did not mean to post that and run. :flower3:

Like everyone said you should be fine but I did want to "put it out there" just in case you didn't know. I am going the beginning of Oct and out of all my October trips I have never been interrupted by a hurricane.

If sever weather does come, being on Disney property is probably the best case scenario. I hear they take good care of the guests and make sure you are safe and have entertainment even if you can't get to a park.

Ooooh, love your new ticker Magdalene.:thumbsup2 And you're only two weeks from ADR's? Lucky!!:goodvibes

As far as Oct. weather goes, we've only been once which was in 2010, the last week of October. It was fairly humid but sunny and gorgeous every single day! Come on, there's no way you're going to get stuck with another deluge like you did last January!:laughing:

Plus, all of the MK was decorated for Halloween! It was so pretty, the fall colors look so lovely there. Are you planning to do the MNSSHP then? We absolutely loved it. Being there after hours when the park is closed to regular guests made us feel like vips!

Waiting patiently (or at least trying to appear so) for the DLP report.;) I hope it was a wonderful trip for you and Katharina.:goodvibes

Happy you have your flights booked :goodvibes I have yet to do that but have been looking at options :thumbsup2
I have been the last two Octobers and it has been hot....90's in 2009 and 80's and 90's last year but not unbearable at all like in the summer! Never had any hurricane problems so hopefully no worries about that :goodvibes I still have some ADR's to work out...I know where I want to eat and another diser and I have even been toying with the idea of eating at V&A :scared1:
Can't wait to hear about your DLP trip:yay:

Tracy

Thanks for the reassurance about October weather! :thumbsup2 I think we aren't too worried about it. I just would hate it to have really cold weather (frost at night) again, but I hope that this won't happen in October! :scared1:

Wow, V&A! I am kind of intrigued by that place, but I am not sure that I want to spend that much money on a meal... But I have read many wonderful reviews! I am sure you will love it if you decide to go. :goodvibes

Thanks!

That's interesting! I hope your theory will work for us. :thumbsup2 When I was in New England in early October 2008 we got some nasty weather thanks to a system which came up that way. Not pleasant, but still something we could live with. But this fits into your theory I would guess.

Ah, the Queen of Suspense!!! Nice job Katharina![/QUOTE]

I never realized that she liked to do that until we started to write our reports... Funny how you can learn something new about someone you have known for so long through posting a trip report! :goodvibes

If you girls haven't thought about attending one of the party nights yet, I highly recommend Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. The parade and fireworks are so completely different, and just the party atmosphere is so much fun. I have gone 3 times-kids dressed up the 2 times they were with. One year we dressed as a family as the Peter Pan crew. We had fun that year, but I found I preferred to just wear a Halloween shirt.:laughing: Pick a Tues or Thurs evening to do it, because the Sun or Friday ones are much busier with locals.
That is why I love October--Halloween party and Food/Wine Festival. And the weather is wonderful, too.

Thanks for the information! :goodvibes

(Psst.... this is a topic for another future update....)

October is my favorite time of the year to attend Disney World, providing the "free dining" program is not occurring. :sad2:

The weather is great (most of the time) and the crowds are light in comparison to most months. You can swim most days without being too hot or too cold. Halloween decorations are out which adds to the festival atmosphere. True it is hurricane season but it is rare that inland Florida has any real issues with hurricanes.

Kate

Kate, thanks for another good October weather review!! I have heard from quite a few people who love that season at WDW. :goodvibes I am especially looking forward to swimming weather! :woohoo:

And so far it looks like no additional free dining for October I think. Which works great for me, even though I am sorry for those who are still hoping for a good discount to come around. That's why I love my DVC points, no more of that waiting game wether Disney will release some discounts at some point.

Sorry I did not mean to post that and run. :flower3:

Like everyone said you should be fine but I did want to "put it out there" just in case you didn't know. I am going the beginning of Oct and out of all my October trips I have never been interrupted by a hurricane.

If sever weather does come, being on Disney property is probably the best case scenario. I hear they take good care of the guests and make sure you are safe and have entertainment even if you can't get to a park.

Don't worry, I always took it just as an informative post not meant to scare us! And it is always best to know about things that might be a problem.

I remember reports of when the last big hurricane hit WDW and how good they were in taking care of people. Also, I heard that the WDW resorts are really safe to be in case of a hurricane. I think the biggest issue for us might be that our flight could be cancelled/delayed do to planes not being able to land at MCO. So for this reason it is good that we booked with the airline where we can communicate in our own language and which has their main hub here in Germany. I am sure in case of a cancellation they would be able to get us to the US somehow and then send us on with a domestic flight through one of their Star Alliance partners. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter