A Birthday Trip without a Birthday - 2/16: Conclusion and Bonus Birthday Tea

Hi Kleese, great to have you along!

It's great to hear that someone goes back and reads the old stuff! :goodvibes Thank you!

The book I was referring to was published in 1993 and talked about how bad the food at DL and WDW was then. I remember that in 1992 Katharina and I were not impressed at all with the fast food sold at DL. And I have been reading WDW online discussions for a very long time and it seems that counter service food only improved at WDW after 2000. I think places like the renovated Sunshine Seasons which opened in 2005 and Flame Tree BBQ which opened in 1998 were examples of improving variety and quality in WDW food.

In 2009 WDW was offering a lot of manages money if they would leave the company voluntarily before they then started to lay off many people on the manager level. One person who took the money before he possibly could have been laid off was the guy responsible for all food services. The story about it was in the Orlando Sentinel here.

I have no idea who is in charge now, so who knows which direction WDW will go in the future...

The quote Kleese had from above was about WDW food being so bad and DLP food being supposedly so good. But things have changed since 1993 quite a lot. I can tell you, QS did not impress us this time in DLP either...

Interestingly, the guy I mentioned above, started his career at DLP before going to WDW. So maybe the food was really great when the parks opened but due to underperforming from the beginning they just had to up their profit margin on the food. I think now people just expect food to be bad at DLP. :confused3 We had some very nice TS meals however. :goodvibes

You have such great information! My first trip to DW was in 2009 and I've only been two times in total so I've missed a lot and still have so much to discover! I'm always in awe about your knowledge of what's going on :disrocks: By the way :welcome:BACK! Very excited to hear you had such a great trip and you took so many pictures :cloud9:

You have such great information! My first trip to DW was in 2009 and I've only been two times in total so I've missed a lot and still have so much to discover! I'm always in awe about your knowledge of what's going on :disrocks: By the way :welcome:BACK! Very excited to hear you had such a great trip and you took so many pictures :cloud9:

You have lots of time to catch up since you are nearly ten years younger than me! ;)

But I know what you mean! There are so many attractions which I have never seen and where I am a latecomer. But it really does not matter, the good thing is that there will something to enjox in the future! :thumbsup2

Ok, let's start with some basic information about our upcoming WDW trip. So far you only know the dates and no other details! :scared1:

You would think the resort choice was obvious: I just had become a DVC owner at the Boardwalk Villas last year, so of course my first choice would be my home resort?

Well, I had a perfect reservation for November 2011, but then all this changing dates of the trips started. DVC owners can book the resort they own at 11 months in advance and other DVC resorts 7 months in advance. By the time we realized we might want to change our dates I realized that the 7 months window for October was going to start very soon. That was a dangerous thing! BWV is a very popular resort in October because you can walk to Epcot for the Food & Wine Festival.

So I immediately tried to get an additional reservation for October while still keeping the one for November (fortunately I had enough points to do that) and was kind of lucky. We got one room type for a few nights, then one night without a room and then a different room type for other nights. All not very pleasant. But I knew that there is something in DVC called waitlist and I just hoped that other people would change their plans as well and in the end it would all work out. Another alternative was to perhaps do a split stay with another resort. Animal Kingdom Lodge, Bay Lake Tower and Villas at the Wilderness Lodge were strong contenders. But in the end the waitlist worked perfectly and we decided that we wanted to stay put in one place. We will be staying 11 nights in a garden view/pool view studio. I have requested a "Village Green view" which means a view of the lawn between the boardwalk at the lake and lobby building. If we get this it will be nearly as good as a Boardwalk view, which would have been my first choice (and which I had booked for November).

By now it has been settled that the trip will happen in October, so I cancelled the November reservation (will have lots of points to bank from 2011 use year into 2012 - must do that before March 2012!).

We are really looking forward to staying at the Boardwalk. We did explore it a bit before our dinner at Flying Fish and just loved the atmosphere. My highlights about the Boardwalk are:

• the whimsical lobby with so many things to explore
  • Bellevue Lounge: I am sure we will make a point of visiting that beautiful space
  • Flying Fish: I am even tempted to eat there twice during our trip, it is my favourite restaurant on property
  • walking to Epcot and DHS

And to keep you entertained, here are some impressions from our the visit last year which caused me to spend an awful lot of money on DVC... ;)

DSC06456.jpg

DSC06460.jpg

DSC06461.jpg

DSC06466.jpg

DSC06471.jpg

DSC06472.jpg

DSC06473.jpg

DSC06474.jpg

DSC06499.jpg

Oh, you will love the Boardwalk! Our only time staying a full week was in a 2BR villa, and we just loved the ability to walk to the two parks, and the crazy clown slide!

I'm glad that your waitlist came through and you can stay at your home resort for the whole trip. Being your home resort, you should get to stay there on your first DVC trip!

I love that big chair. :laughing:

:goodvibes for staying at the Boardwalk! It looks so lovely (besides the creepy clown). You will adore the location. I am a little confused though, do you still have 2 sets of dates booked?

Bellevue Lounge: I am sure we will make a point of visiting that beautiful space

Hmmmm.... Bellevue I can think of another Bellevue that is equally beautiful. :goodvibes

I love the picture of Katharina on the sofa!! That's so cute, you should make that an annual picture!

Who wouldn't love staying at BWV during Food & Wine? Good choice, I must say! There is also so many things to do around the Boardwalk, you'll never be without activity.

I love all the pictures, brings back memories of your TR. Also, I think that the picture of Katharina on the huge couch is my favorite. It makes her look so tiny!

Oh, you will love the Boardwalk! Our only time staying a full week was in a 2BR villa, and we just loved the ability to walk to the two parks, and the crazy clown slide!

Oh, I forgot the slide! I love slides, but never tried the AKL one, but liked the one at the Poly. The Clown slide looks like a fun slide, I will make sure to use it! As well as the lovely pool bar which looks like a carroussel! :goodvibes

I'm glad that your waitlist came through and you can stay at your home resort for the whole trip. Being your home resort, you should get to stay there on your first DVC trip!

I love that big chair. :laughing:

The chair was another favourite on the TR and when I added the link I was feeling a bit naughty - I am sure that it isn't one of Katharina's favourites, but I think it is cute! :lovestruc

BWV being my home resort was another very important to stay there, as you say, it just feels right for my first DVC trip! And it is the one resort that I always dreamed about and never stayed at (I have been so lucky to be able to stay at my to other dream resorts: AKL and the Poly).

:goodvibes for staying at the Boardwalk! It looks so lovely (besides the creepy clown). You will adore the location. I am a little confused though, do you still have 2 sets of dates booked?

The clown does not creep me out that much... I remember when we planned the 2010 trip Katharina had strong objections towards POFQ because of the alligators there. She did not like them!

Oh it was a big chair I thought I was gonna meet liitle people in October:rotfl2:

:lmao:

One must do for the trip will be to get a picture of me on that chair as well! :thumbsup2

Hmmmm.... Bellevue I can think of another Bellevue that is equally beautiful. :goodvibes

I love the picture of Katharina on the sofa!! That's so cute, you should make that an annual picture!

You are right!! :goodvibes And it actually means beautiful view, so anything with that name should be...

Btw, there is a Bellevue Castle in Berlin as well, it is the residence of the German president (the head of state, but just in name, the government is lead by the chancellor. The president is more like the Queen in the UK and does have only a very tiny political relevance).

Who wouldn't love staying at BWV during Food & Wine? Good choice, I must say! There is also so many things to do around the Boardwalk, you'll never be without activity.

I love all the pictures, brings back memories of your TR. Also, I think that the picture of Katharina on the huge couch is my favorite. It makes her look so tiny!

I really hope that we will find the time to really experience the Boardwalk. I am really afraid of putting too much into the trip. But I think we did quite well in this regard at DLP, so I am optimistic!

We are really looking forward to staying at the Boardwalk. We did
explore it a bit before our dinner at Flying Fish and just loved the
atmosphere. My highlights about the Boardwalk are:

• the whimsical lobby with so many things to explore
  • Bellevue Lounge: I am sure we will make a point
    of visiting that beautiful space
  • Flying Fish: I am even tempted to eat there twice
    during our trip, it is my favourite restaurant on property
  • walking to Epcot and DHS

And to keep you entertained, here are some impressions from our the
visit last year which caused me to spend an awful lot of money on DVC... ;)

I'm so excited but so jealous :teeth:! You have to get pics of you on the waterslide so I can pretend it's me :rotfl: Maybe one day here's hoping but until then:surfweb: I'll be happy to live through you popcorn::

How's the weather by you? I see you have a spring smiley in your sig. Did you already do your marathon yet?

BWV - awesome! What style room, studio, 1-bd, standard, preferred, boardwalk? Inquiring minds want to know. :dance3:

I see you have a long and detailed update there, but I am sitting here waiting for class to start and sadly will have to read it later tonight. Can't wait though!

By the way!! THANKS for the lovely postcard I got in the mail today! WHAT FUN to get something from such a beautiful looking castle! Loved it!

I really am so glad that worked out for you and you were able to keep your BWV reservation.... I can't wait to stay there, either, this May! :banana: Although I have stayed there once before- but that was only for one night, and after a cruise....so, not the happiest stay. :rotfl: I'm looking forward to really enjoying the BW for many years to come! :thumbsup2

Ok, I'm back after reading it all. Like Cynthia, I'm confuzled... do you still technically have a split stay? In the end, it probably doesn't matter, except, if so, would you have to change rooms possibly??

I do love the Boardwalk area. Maybe not quite as much as the Poly or even AKL, but very close. I"m sure if i ever did do the walk to EPCOT"s backdoor, I'd love it even more.

I'd say all your reasons are very lovely ones. I'm so glad you ended up choosing this resort for your maiden voyage.

Welcome back ladies! Been away for a few days, just catching up. I'm glad things are working out for a stay at the Boardwalk!

I'm so excited but so jealous :teeth:! You have to get pics of you on the waterslide so I can pretend it's me :rotfl: Maybe one day here's hoping but until then:surfweb: I'll be happy to live through you popcorn::

How's the weather by you? I see you have a spring smiley in your sig. Did you already do your marathon yet?

:lmao: Do we look alike?? I am not sure I want to get my camera on that slide though... ;) But I am planning on taking lots of pictures!

The weather here has been very nice and sunny the last days. And for the next week we are even supposed to get temperature in the 70s!! Not common for this time of the year...

The marathon was not a marathon, but a 5k! :rolleyes1 I did ok, I was training to get a time under 30 minutes, but did not make it, I got in at 31:47... But at least I went out and did it!! I am thinking about training for a 10k in June now again. I reall need to get in shape for that, June will be around soon!! :scared1:

BWV - awesome! What style room, studio, 1-bd, standard, preferred, boardwalk? Inquiring minds want to know. :dance3:

Sorry, I still haven't gotten used to different types of rooms being available: we got a studio. I briefly thought about a one bedroom, but since that would not give us a second bed and would still mean that Katharina has to sleep on a pull out couch, I did not see the real benefit of it.

I see you have a long and detailed update there, but I am sitting here waiting for class to start and sadly will have to read it later tonight. Can't wait though!

By the way!! THANKS for the lovely postcard I got in the mail today! WHAT FUN to get something from such a beautiful looking castle! Loved it!

I somehow missed your post, I am glad that you got it! The castle is beautiful, isn't it? I really love it! :cloud9:

I really am so glad that worked out for you and you were able to keep your BWV reservation.... I can't wait to stay there, either, this May! :banana: Although I have stayed there once before- but that was only for one night, and after a cruise....so, not the happiest stay. :rotfl: I'm looking forward to really enjoying the BW for many years to come! :thumbsup2

You mentioned this before that your experience with the BW wasn't that great. But since we are neighbours there now, I hope you and I will both have many happy stays there! So the Moms trip this year will be to the BW? Is Cammie coming along for that trip as well? Her TRs were some of the first I ever got involved in here on the DIS, I think she isn't around that much anymore, is she? Say hi to her from a secret fan! I hope she and her daughters are doing well!

And I am looking forward to all the BW pictures you will bring back in May!!! :banana:

Ok, I'm back after reading it all. Like Cynthia, I'm confuzled... do you still technically have a split stay? In the end, it probably doesn't matter, except, if so, would you have to change rooms possibly??

I do love the Boardwalk area. Maybe not quite as much as the Poly or even AKL, but very close. I"m sure if i ever did do the walk to EPCOT"s backdoor, I'd love it even more.

I'd say all your reasons are very lovely ones. I'm so glad you ended up choosing this resort for your maiden voyage.

Sorry for all the confusion! I need to edit that post!!

I cancelled the November reservation once our plans were definite for October. And thanks to the waitlist we now can stay in one room for the whole stay. :goodvibes

It's funny how a lot of people seem to like this combination of resorts: AKL, Poly, BWV :thumbsup2 You have great taste, Liesa. :woohoo:

Welcome back ladies! Been away for a few days, just catching up. I'm glad things are working out for a stay at the Boardwalk!

Hi Captain, I had been wondering this morning what might have happened to you... We already seem to have lost Marvin to his work load and computer trouble... Good to see you back! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter