A Birthday Trip without a Birthday - 2/16: Conclusion and Bonus Birthday Tea

I was so excited to tell you all about the Boardwalk that I forgot to tell about half the important facts. I have edited the post above, but for those who already have read it, here are some clarifications/additions:

We will be staying 11 nights in a garden view/pool view studio, no moving around at all. I have requested a "Village Green view" which means a view of the lawn between the boardwalk at the lake and lobby building. If we get this it will be nearly as good as a Boardwalk view, which would have been my first choice (and which I had booked for November).

By now it has been settled that the trip will happen in October, so I cancelled the November reservation (will have lots of points to bank from 2011 use year into 2012 - must do that before March 2012!).

Sorry for all the confusion!! :goodvibes

I'm looking forward to reading your reports and hopeing that neither of you get upset and throw a tantrum. :)

I'm looking forward to reading your reports and hopeing that neither of you get upset and throw a tantrum. :)

:welcome:

We hope that we will be able to refrain from tantrums this time as well. We are already discussing plans and are trying to make them a lit more relaxing than the last trip! :goodvibes

Hi Magdalene,

Just remember that October can be still quite hot in Florida, so taking afternoon breaks to nap or swim is a good idea. ;)

Ok, this is a very theoretical question. There really only is one way that is practical to get from Germany to WDW: by airplane. Of course I am dreaming of one day taking a transatlantic cruise on a Disney Cruise Line Ship to travel to WDW, but the dates did not fit this time...

If you want just the end result, I could nearly just copy the PTR post about our flights from the 2010 trip, but as you know me, I love to tell the long story... So here it is (in abridged form):

In 2010 we flew with Lufthansa, the German airline, from Berlin to Frankfurt and then from Frankfurt to Orlando. We really liked that.

When we started looking at flights we were rather shocked how expensive Lufthansa was for October. :eek: We did not like that and started looking around. Air France was going to start direct flights from Paris to Orlando as well, so we considered that as an option.

We really rather wanted to connect in Europe, not in the US. The reason for this is: if you are connecting in Europe, your luggage will always be checked through to your final destination. However if you arrive in the US and connect onto a domestic flight, you have to go through immigration, collect your luggage and then go through customs at your first point of entry into the US. After customs you can then give away your luggage again for it to be transported on your domestic flight. The whole immigration/customs process can be rather lengthy. I am someone who always worries when you have to make a connection that you might miss it and knowing that I might have to wait in endless lines when I have to make a connection is not good...

So we had two options: expensive Lufthansa or slightly less expensive (but no way cheap) Air France:

• Lufthansa uses a plane which has 2-4-2 seat configuration, Air France one which had 3-4-3 seat configuration, so we would not be able to have one row just with the two of us.
  • Air France makes us connect in Charles-de-Gaulle Airport which is huge and very complicated and which has a bit of a reputation of losing luggage. Lufthansa makes us connect in Frankfurt which is pretty large as well, but not as complicated as CDG.
  • Lufthansa has in-seat entertainment, Air France only has large screens with the same entertainment for everyone.
  • Air France serves champagne in economy, Lufthansa doesn't. But then we follow the rule on how to avoid jet-lag: don't drink alcohol or caffein on the day of your flight.
  • Lufthansa personel speaks German, Air France personel speaks French, a foreign language we both aren't good at.
We really preferred Lufthansa, but did not think it was worth the price difference. However, then we realized that there might be a tiny chance that Katharina would have to reschedule the October trip (there will be a change in management at her workplace) and the Air France ticket was non-refundable and non-rebookable. She would lose all the money payed for it. So she really needed to get a refundable ticket (or at least one where she could change the dates on). And me, too. I would not want to have to go on my own in October. And the more flexible Air France ticket then wasn't that far away from the price of the Lufthansa ticket!! :banana:

So now we are booked on LH 464 leaving Frankfurt on October 11 at 2:05 pm, arriving at MCO at 6:05 pm after 10 hours!! We will return on October 22 on LH 465 leaving MCO at 8:30 pm, arriving in Frankfurt at 11:25am the next day, that flight is about 1 hour shorter than the way there.

We will try to keep ourselves entertained during the flight with hopefully a better movie selection than on the last flight on our personal TVs:

Lufthansa_A340-600_Economy.jpg

And will be fed two meals - a lunch about 1-2 hours after departure

DSC06059.jpg

and then a warm snack (usually a pasta dish) about 1.5 hours before arrival

DSC06075.jpg

Last time Katharina had ordered a lactose free meal (all kind of special dietary needs meals are available for pre-order). But these contained quite a lot of tomato. And the foods which are the biggest trouble for her are dairy and tomato. So those meals weren't really good for her either. So this time she will just have the normal meal and we will see what she can eat and she will bring some cookies and fruit for the flight as well.

When we booked the flight I was amazed how many seats were already booked on the plane and we did get ok seats, but not great ones. Then, a few days after we had booked we got an email from Lufthansa with another confirmation. We were at first confused, but then figured out that the flight times had become 10 minutes shorter. I was surprised, but then had an idea: perhaps that meant that they changed the type of plane they had planned on using :idea:. And checked wether we still had our seats assigned. When I did this I discovered that indeed this was now a larger plane and a row of seats had opened up which was not available before. These seats were much better and I immediately changed our reservation! :thumbsup2

We will now have the same plane as last time: An Airbus 340-600:

Lufthansa-Airbus-A340-600.jpg

And we will be in 30H and 30K on both ways, way to the front of the economy cabin. This makes a huge difference in getting off the plane and being towards the front of the lines at immigration!! :woohoo:

Sitzplan2-1.jpg

As you can see, the A340 is quite interesting: the bathrooms are downstairs...

I wrote about the long flight first because it is more exciting. But in order to prevent confusion: Katharina's ticket actually has her flying from Berlin to Frankfurt in the morning of our departure day and I will be flying from Nuremberg to Frankfurt. Our flights arrive in Frankfurt within 5 minutes of each other, so we will meat up there and then will try to find some lunch. On the way back we will split up and continue on our respective connecting flights to Berlin or Nuremberg.

P.S.: Sorry for the recycling of plane pictures from 2009!!

Hi Magdalene,

Just remember that October can be still quite hot in Florida, so taking afternoon breaks to nap or swim is a good idea. ;)

Thanks for the advice!! Did you ever go in October? We are a bit scared about the heat and we will definitely build in breaks in our plan! As well as two visits to the water parks!! :beach:

Thanks for the advice!! Did you ever go in October? We are a bit scared about the heat and we will definitely build in breaks in our plan! As well as two visits to the water parks!! :beach:

Yes I've been in October when the weather was still in the 90's! But that was a while ago. I would do some research on the weather during that time and plan accordingly. At least you will have nicer weather than last time. That's a good thing.

I love the flight update! And I love the airplane pictures! When you go in October can I request from you pictures of the airport? :laughing: It's weird but I love reading about the whole journey to whatever destination your going to. :upsidedow And I love airport pictures.

I think you made the right choice on taking Lufthansa again, my motto when in doubt go with your gut feeling. To me I think it's worth the extra price. :)

Those are some LONG flights! I am dying to travel internationally, but I just don't know if I could handle that long for traveling. I am just not a good traveler.

We are planning a trip out to visit some family in the midwest. I think we are going to drive out (plane ticket prices are not pretty!) and it would be 13.5 hours. I am NOT looking forward to it!!

Hi Captain, I had been wondering this morning what might have happened to you... We already seem to have lost Marvin to his work load and computer trouble... Good to see you back! :thumbsup2

Thanks! I took a long weekend to visit my brother, his wife and my brand-new nephew up in New Hampshire. We had a great time exploring New England...once I get the pictures uploaded online, I'll probably do another TR on the Disdads.com page, if you're interested. :surfweb:

And the more flexible Air France ticket then wasn't that far away from the price of the Lufthansa ticket!! :banana:

:woohoo::cool1: Nice work! I've heard good things about Lufthansa, and I'm glad you got your preference!

And :worship::worship::worship: for the plane photos and seat diagrams. I thought I was an obsessive planner! :rotfl2:

Yes I've been in October when the weather was still in the 90's! But that was a while ago. I would do some research on the weather during that time and plan accordingly. At least you will have nicer weather than last time. That's a good thing.

We already looked at some historical weather data and realized that it will be hot. But just as you said, we are really looking forward to it being warmer than last time!! And we hope it won't be as hot as July!! :scared1:

So far we have a few EMH mornings and I think those will work well in warmer weather. But it will be strange that due to it still being daylight saving time while we are there, sunrise will be slightly later than in January, and sunset will be much later than in January. It will make for a differnt touring feeling to have daylight until 7:30pm! :thumbsup2

I love the flight update! And I love the airplane pictures! When you go in October can I request from you pictures of the airport? :laughing: It's weird but I love reading about the whole journey to whatever destination your going to. :upsidedow And I love airport pictures.

I think you made the right choice on taking Lufthansa again, my motto when in doubt go with your gut feeling. To me I think it's worth the extra price. :)

Ok, I will try to take lots of airport pictures! :goodvibes I guess you must have loved Liesas TR then, she must have had the longest trip to WDW ever! ;) And I think you are right, we are really excited about our flights and that just adds to a general excitement about the trip. That's much nicer than questioning oneself all the time whether it was the right decision. :woohoo:

Those are some LONG flights! I am dying to travel internationally, but I just don't know if I could handle that long for traveling. I am just not a good traveler.

We are planning a trip out to visit some family in the midwest. I think we are going to drive out (plane ticket prices are not pretty!) and it would be 13.5 hours. I am NOT looking forward to it!!

The flights are a bit tiresome. Especially you have so little private space. They do keep you busy with food and entertainment, but the best thing is to bring an interesting book. On the trip back it is a red-eye flight and I am pretty good at sleeping on the plane. Sleeping from the US to Europe also helps you adjust to the new time zone, but going from Europe to the US I find that trying to keep awake will help you adjust much better.

13.5 hours in the car is very long, but at least you can stop along the way! :thumbsup2

Thanks! I took a long weekend to visit my brother, his wife and my brand-new nephew up in New Hampshire. We had a great time exploring New England...once I get the pictures uploaded online, I'll probably do another TR on the Disdads.com page, if you're interested. :surfweb:

A ninja post!! I would love to read about your New England trip! I was there in 2008 and loved that region. :goodvibes But your trip reports are a great read, wherever you go! :thumbsup2

Did I ever mention that I read the other updates on your Statue of Liberty TR and really enjoyed them? When we were there in 2008 we were not able to go all the way up, only on to the plattform level. But we had to book ticket for that in advance and there was so much security to jsut go there... We also loved the Ellis Island museum. There is kind of the opposite of this in Hamburg where many ships with emmigrants departed from: Ballin Stadt

:woohoo::cool1: Nice work! I've heard good things about Lufthansa, and I'm glad you got your preference!

And :worship::worship::worship: for the plane photos and seat diagrams. I thought I was an obsessive planner! :rotfl2:

In Germany Lufthansa has a very good reputation and I like flying with them. But some of that might also be that people prefer their national airline. So I am not really sure how good they are in international comparison. I think some of the Asian airlines are much better, but there isn't a chance to fly with them to Orlando, so it really does not matter.

And the plane and seating chart: they were already on photobucket from my last PTR, so pretty easy to get... :thumbsup2

Just got caught up reading your PTR and I can't wait to read morepopcorn::

When we were looking at the Pictures of the plane, my son Liam asked me if that was the plane we were going to be on when we went to WDW. I had to laugh and tell him no, our plane would not be as big. Plus only having a 2 1/2 hour flight we would not get any food on our flight, just a drink. That's OK, I would much rather bring something to snack on anyway.:lmao:

One of these days I would love to be able to visit Germany and all those castles (maybe see if I can find any relatives. Great Grandma from there) Some day I hope.:woohoo:

• Lufthansa personel speaks German, Air France personel speaks French, a foreign language we both aren't good at.

This made me think of a quote by Steve Martin: "Boy, those French! They have a different word for everything!"

Good catch on checking whether you had a different plane and snagging better seats. :thumbsup2

Forgot to say that we are also going on a Birthday trip with out a birtday at the end of May. Taking my son for his birthday which will actually be the week previous.:rotfl2: Hey may even throw in my birthday as well though it isn't until August.:lmao:

A ninja post!! I would love to read about your New England trip! I was there in 2008 and loved that region. :goodvibes But your trip reports are a great read, wherever you go! :thumbsup2

Flattery will get you everywhere! But seriously, thank you. Where did you go in 2008?

Did I ever mention that I read the other updates on your Statue of Liberty TR and really enjoyed them? When we were there in 2008 we were not able to go all the way up, only on to the plattform level. But we had to book ticket for that in advance and there was so much security to jsut go there... We also loved the Ellis Island museum. There is kind of the opposite of this in Hamburg where many ships with emmigrants departed from: Ballin Stadt

Yes, you did mention that, and once again--thanks so much for reading! It's music to my ears (eyes?) to see that you enjoyed them. Maybe someday you can come back and climb to the crown! Although as you saw...there's really not much to see up there.

That museum in Hamburg looks very interesting. Having seen Ellis Island now, it would be interesting to see what it was like on the other side. I wonder if Hamburg is the port my mother was looking for when she couldn't find her ancestors!

In Germany Lufthansa has a very good reputation and I like flying with them. But some of that might also be that people prefer their national airline. So I am not really sure how good they are in international comparison. I think some of the Asian airlines are much better, but there isn't a chance to fly with them to Orlando, so it really does not matter.

And the plane and seating chart: they were already on photobucket from my last PTR, so pretty easy to get... :thumbsup2

Still...even having them available is impressive! :thumbsup2

A Belated Welcome Home!

I've enjoyed getting back up to speed on the planning of your October trip. I'm so glad the flights are now squared away and your seats are better.:thumbsup2

I'm really looking forward to your October trip.

I am quite excited!! It looks like Katharina and I have just finished our PLAN of attack for our trip including all the ADRs we want to get!! I have been wrecking my brain for some time on how to get everything into a plan which still allows relaxation as well as getting everything done we want to do... I really like what we came up with! :thumbsup2

Things will start to be revealed soon (I know all of you wonder when I will stop writing about that boring WDW stuff and get to the juicy DLP stuff... :rotfl:), our ADR day is only 2 weeks away, so there will be some reporting about restaurants soon! :banana:

Just got caught up reading your PTR and I can't wait to read morepopcorn::

When we were looking at the Pictures of the plane, my son Liam asked me if that was the plane we were going to be on when we went to WDW. I had to laugh and tell him no, our plane would not be as big. Plus only having a 2 1/2 hour flight we would not get any food on our flight, just a drink. That's OK, I would much rather bring something to snack on anyway.:lmao:

One of these days I would love to be able to visit Germany and all those castles (maybe see if I can find any relatives. Great Grandma from there) Some day I hope.:woohoo:

Hi and :welcome: Those large planes are quiet impressive, aren't they? Especially at the airport when they are parked next to a 737. :thumbsup2 We migh bring some snacks for the flight as well, the problem is just that we would have to make sure to eat it during the flight or have to throw it into the trash since you are not allowed to import food stuff the US (luckily cookies and candy are exempt, so I can still bring/send those as gifts).

Germany is a wonderful country and I am sure you would find it much easier to travel in Europe than most people think it is. One of my DISfriends, lovealldisney, just travelled across Germany with her DH last summer and they had a brilliant time. I am sure she would agree that it was very doable. Of course the flights are expensive...

Forgot to say that we are also going on a Birthday trip with out a birtday at the end of May. Taking my son for his birthday which will actually be the week previous.:rotfl2: Hey may even throw in my birthday as well though it isn't until August.:lmao:

:thumbsup2 I think it is very common to celebrate a non-birthday at WDW! On the teacups ride you should actually celebrate your unbirthday anyway!! :lmao:

This made me think of a quote by Steve Martin: "Boy, those French! They have a different word for everything!"

:laughing:

Ok, I will let Mark find the movie this quote is from... And btw, the quarter pounder is called a Hamburger Royal in Germany as well! ;)

And just to add another "history" lesson (even though this is linguistics I think?): He is pretty wrong, English adopted so many French words through the Norman invasion in 1066. They are just pronounced differently. :lmao: Think beef - boeuf, pork - porc, liberty - liberté, arrive - arriver. But I am sure you know that anyway. :thumbsup2

Flattery will get you everywhere! But seriously, thank you. Where did you go in 2008?

We started in NYC (that's the same trip I was at the Statue of Liberty) and then drove along the coast, stopped in New Haven and Newport and then spent a few days on Cape Cod, then up towards NH where we stayed in North Conway for a few days (just before the start of the fall season, but the leaves were already really pretty!) and then ended in Boston and flew home from there. We did a lot of the driving along small country roads and stopped in all kind of small towns. Once we came across a parade which was great to watch! :goodvibes

Yes, you did mention that, and once again--thanks so much for reading! It's music to my ears (eyes?) to see that you enjoyed them. Maybe someday you can come back and climb to the crown! Although as you saw...there's really not much to see up there.

I am quite certain that a trip to NYC will happen within the next five years, but I am not sure I want to dedicate another full day for this excursion. But then, there was lots which we did not explore in depth at the Ellis Island museum, so a return trip might be worth it...

That museum in Hamburg looks very interesting. Having seen Ellis Island now, it would be interesting to see what it was like on the other side. I wonder if Hamburg is the port my mother was looking for when she couldn't find her ancestors!

I have been meaning to visit it for quite some time. Perhaps I should make a weekend trip to Hamburg this summer, it is an interesting city! :thumbsup2

Hamburg was one of the large emmigration ports, but Bremerhaven was as well. And I think there were others as well. I read that her ancestors were from Frankfurt - and there are two Frankfurts in Germany even, one at the river Main and the other at the river Oder. From what I gathered, she really has very little information to start from...

A Belated Welcome Home!

I've enjoyed getting back up to speed on the planning of your October trip. I'm so glad the flights are now squared away and your seats are better.:thumbsup2

I'm really looking forward to your October trip.

Thanks! I am getting very excited about the October trip as well. Booking the flights is always a big thing since they are actually the biggest chunk of money (since I now can stay at the resort "for free" - not considering the DVC purchase price ;) ).

Magdelene, we have done a few trips during Oct. In 2004, we were there the very end of Oct and into Nov. They were experiencing record heat then and it was in the 90s every day. My children were 4 and 6 then. All they really wanted to do was stay at the pool.
In 2006 we went the 2nd week of Oct due accompanying DD ballet group. Weather was not quite as hot, but still plenty warm for swimming daily.
In 2009, I went with girlfriends the 3rd week of Oct. and it was much cooler that trip. We needed jackets or sweatshirts in the mornings and evenings and it was comfortable with capris/short sleeves during the day.
So the best advice I can give you is to be sure to pack a few bits of clothes for cooler temps, but it should be mostly 80s.

Magdelene, we have done a few trips during Oct. In 2004, we were there the very end of Oct and into Nov. They were experiencing record heat then and it was in the 90s every day. My children were 4 and 6 then. All they really wanted to do was stay at the pool.
In 2006 we went the 2nd week of Oct due accompanying DD ballet group. Weather was not quite as hot, but still plenty warm for swimming daily.
In 2009, I went with girlfriends the 3rd week of Oct. and it was much cooler that trip. We needed jackets or sweatshirts in the mornings and evenings and it was comfortable with capris/short sleeves during the day.
So the best advice I can give you is to be sure to pack a few bits of clothes for cooler temps, but it should be mostly 80s.

Wow, we might have been at WDW at the same time in 2004!! That was my first trip to Florida with a friend. We started in Jacksonville (wanted to get the rental car in Florida to avoid one-way-rental-fees), drove to Savannah, Georgia, then down to Orlando (visited Blue Springs State Park along the way which was a wonderful place!), spent 5 days at WDW (Nov. 2-7, 2004), then on to Naples, a brief visit to the Everglades, on to the Keys and then ended in Miami. I remember this trip to have been very hot and humid. I was afraid that earlier in October would be even hotter, but I am reliefed to hear that this was record heat!!

Thank you very much for your detailed advice, that was very helpful! I think we will make sure to pack a few jackets/cardigans anyway, especially for bringing along for meals at the TS restaurants. I always get cold in airconditioned rooms after some time...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter