8 nights of Disney Deliciousness with Pics---Vegetarians on DDP UPDATED!

Wow--now I don't know what vegetarian appetizer to get at Chefs de France. I had the French Onion soup once (okay, I know that's not vegetarian since it probably has been broth in it) and it was very good. But the salad, tarte, and cheeseplate look really good too!

Did you all have a favorite amongst the three that you would recommend?

thanks for another great review!

Have you ever considered writing the text in a text editor offline and just cut and paste into the window for writing your text. This way you would be able to save your text and would not so easily loose anthing already written? That's what I did for my dining review.

Wow, those pictures look yummy. Sadly, I think only the broccoli was probably vegan ... so my husband and I couldn't eat any of it. Next Jan. will be our first quest to WDW as vegans (we were veggies last time) so hopefully we'll have some yummy foods as well.

Good post though. I'll keep those restaurants in mind for places that can probably whip up some vegan meals without too much fuss.

Really enjoying your reports!:thumbsup2

I am a veggie and we are on the DDP in Sept so its great to see the food. Can't wait for your review of Le Cellier.:thumbsup2

Wow, those pictures look yummy. Sadly, I think only the broccoli was probably vegan ... so my husband and I couldn't eat any of it. Next Jan. will be our first quest to WDW as vegans (we were veggies last time) so hopefully we'll have some yummy foods as well.

Good post though. I'll keep those restaurants in mind for places that can probably whip up some vegan meals without too much fuss.

A lot of dishes are very close on the vegan thing. Almost all of the salads are Crystal Palace are. The spicy pasta and the vegetable caponada & rice were also vegan, as were the roasted vegetables, and last year and in 2005 they had a curry that was also vegan and I know the chefs there are very willing to help you find what's vegan or make you something else (however the year we had the walk through with the chef, as I recall, there was a LOT on the buffet that was vegan, and the chef was great about knowing off the top of his head about things like gelatin, etc.). So I would say Crystal Palace lunch/dinner would be a very good choice.

There is also a vegan salad at Chefs (that I'm sure is delicious), as was the special veg. plate my mom had, and the lasagna would be if you had them hold the cheese, I believe.

At Le Cellier, our meal last year was totally vegan with no modifications. This year's would be if you had them hold the cheese. I *think* the breadsticks there are vegan as well as long as you don't take issue with yeast.

Coral Reef would also be vegan without the cheese (and have them hold the cheese even if you're NOT a vegan, because we've had either bad cheese or cheese that doesn't fit the dish 2 years in a row now, so it's a trend).

Rose & Crown I think would be tough---I think there was cream in the veg. pot pie, but it would be worth checking.

We used to go to Hollywood & Vine (in the time when it wasn't a character meal & only served dinner), and I can't remember for sure what they had, but I know there were vegan choices and that the chefs were very helpful.

So I think you'll be fine! Good for you for being veg---it pleases me when something happens to be vegan but I find it hard to give up dairy in particular.

Wow--now I don't know what vegetarian appetizer to get at Chefs de France. I had the French Onion soup once (okay, I know that's not vegetarian since it probably has been broth in it) and it was very good. But the salad, tarte, and cheeseplate look really good too!

Did you all have a favorite amongst the three that you would recommend?

I think we'd go with the tarte. The cheese plate is much more filling for more people, but the tarte gives you what I consider the BEST of the cheese and other yummies as well. BUT...I'm not a big cheese person.

I can't remember what time we got in line, but the way the line broke up when they opened more turnstiles, and then others having trouble figuring out the finger scan, we were THE first people into the park. It was very cool.

47b7d907b3127cceb8845680590000000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

47b7d907b3127cceb8846a7c59e200000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

(that's a CM trainee group up by the castle)

We had done this before, so we didn't linger too long on Main Street and headed to CP to check in:
47b7d907b3127cceb8846c9ed83300000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

We were the very first to check in, which we were glad of, because quite a crowd developed. When the started calling people, they called a LOT of families before ours, which was a little annoying and frustrating since we had definitely been there first. But we eventually were seated by the window on the restroom side. They seem to fill this side first, but I would say this is the inferior side---this is why: people on the porch stare in the windows while you're eating...including adults. Who does that?

Anyway, there was a rather long line at the buffet at this point, and a VERY obnoxious grand gathering with some VERY obnoxious teenagers who were EATING as they went through the buffet and being deeply disrespectful of their aunt. Did I mention I teach middle school? These guys were old enough to know better (late teens)---none of the kids I know would behave this way even without adult supervision. Maybe I'm not realistic about who they are, but I've had a lot of these kids for 2 years in a row now, and I'm quite sure of it. The only child I know who might do that has severe psychiatric problems.

ANYWAY...I don't think I was actually this annoyed when we were there, although the teenagers were loud and bothersome. Moving on to the food, though.

47b7d907b3127cceb8846c86d82b00000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

My sister took this picture while I was still at the buffet, and since she harasses me so about how much better a photographer she is, notice that the focus is odd :rotfl: Actually, I do like the perspective on this photo, but since I know my family reads this, as the older sister, I had to work in that dig ;)
OH---This is frittata, breakfast lasagna, and cheesy breakfast potatoes in the back.

47b7d907b3127cceb8846342194000000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

Same plate, easier angle to see the food.

47b7d907b3127cceb884639e199c00000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

I believe this is also the same plate.

47b7d907b3127cceb88461bc988f00000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

Chocolate croissant, cheesy breakfast potatoes, and crumb cake.

47b7d907b3127cceb884662c59b400000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

Breakfast lasagna, strawberries, and pineapple.

47b7d907b3127cceb884674e194e00000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

Puffed French toast, cheesy breakfast potatoes, and breakfast lasagna.

47b7d907b3127cceb88467d998e900000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

Omelet and pineapple.

Puffed French Toast: Is now on the kids buffet area. LOOK FOR IT THERE! This is yummy. It tastes a lot like the donuts on a Chinese lunch buffet :lmao:

Breakfast Lasagna: This is really yummy, but I thought there was a little more nutmeg (? I think) than I would have liked. The best part, IMO, is the custardy part.

Cheesy Breakfast Potatoes: I LOVE these. They are seasoned with black pepper, which I LOVE. We did have some at our second CP breakfast that were way too salty...so if you get them and they're too salty, look for them to bring out another batch. Be aware that while these are lacto-ovo veg., there are OTHER potatoes (red potatoes, I believe) that have BACON---so make sure you get the cheesy potatoes and NOT the red ones (we saw this---and our waitress in 2006 mentioned it---thankfully we didn't learn this the hard way).

Frittata: Not enough veggies. Much better at lunch.

Omelet: I think not enough veggies again, but I generally don't do savory egg stuff. I know my mom was not impressed and it wasn't worth the wait.

The fruit here was delicious.

The crumb cake & chocolate croissant were awful. I didn't finish them. The croissant seemed stale, but the flavor was off anyway, and the crumb cake had a fake-fruit flavor (I think it was supposed to be raspberry). Don't bother with these when there's so much other good stuff.

Our waiter, whose name I don't recall off-hand, was fantastic until the bill (which we did OOP), and then he disappeared for over 10 minutes (after he had his tip). This wasn't cool since the park was opening and we were very much done eating.

Overall, though, great food, mostly great service. Characters were busier at breakfast than lunch, but it didn't matter to us. We enjoyed watching the kids with them!

Wow, I love your chefs de France review. We are trying it for the first time on this trip at DD's request. I just dont know what I am going to get: you showed too many good choices!!!!!!! Thanks for the reviews!

Oh man, crystal palace breakfast is my FAVORITE!!! I cannot wait until september 10! That breakfast lasagna is so good. And i love that you can get eggs made to order. Thanks for posting! I can't wait for the rest.

tricia.

We were the very first to check in, which we were glad of, because quite a crowd developed. When the started calling people, they called a LOT of families before ours, which was a little annoying and frustrating since we had definitely been there first. But we eventually were seated by the window on the restroom side. They seem to fill this side first, but I would say this is the inferior side---this is why: people on the porch stare in the windows while you're eating...including adults. Who does that?
The same thing happened to us last yr, we were the first to check in at chef Mickey for Bfast and they seated tons of families before our.I wonder why that is?
I also hate when people stare at me while I'm eating or being seated by the restroom. I try to request a quiet corner nicely.
Laura

I can't wait to read your review of Le Cellier - I'm vegetarian too, and I'm going there next weekend. Great reviews so far!

Great reviews and pictures, as always. I'm totally drooling over the veggie lasagna and chocolate banana tarte from Chefs de France. I'd love to go back there next trip but DH isn't too keen on it for some reason although we've always had good meals there. :confused3

...but we decided to do some French pavillion stuff on Saturday since we hadn't gotten to it before we ate there. Additionally, it was Bastille Day, so France seemed appropriate, and it was our Le Cellier night---and since there's not a lot to do in the Canadian pavillion (we don't do circlevision), French-Canadian would do the trick.

I think we ended up in more rain...? But this time we were in the shops and all was well. We decided to do the wine flight in France. It's 3 two-ounce pours for $6. I thought that was pretty good!

Here that is...
47b7d907b3127cceb8847e6259f600000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

47b7d907b3127cceb8847ffb98c700000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

This was a Chardonnay, Rose D'Anjou, and Beaujolais. I'm not usually a Chardonnay fan or a fan of ANY red wine, but this red was supposed to be lighter---it was. I actually kind of liked the Beaujolais, although I still don't enjoy that red wines are served warm. I think I've finally pinpointed part of my issue---and it's the temperature. However, this one did not taste like cough syrup to me. At this point, you can probably tell I'm no wine expert, so I'll fess up---I love trying different wines but usually don't love drinking them :rotfl:

I'm still not a Chardonnay fan, although I found this one more pleasing than others. My sister said it was good but doesn't remember it that well, and my mom can't remember if she tasted it...so I think saying that it wasn't memorable is fair.

We all liked the Rose D'Anjou---very light and actually tasted like fruit. I know they're all supposed to taste like fruit, but I usually can't find the flavor. This one actually tasted like---GASP---grapes! We really liked this one.

A few more pics and I'm on to Le Cellier...

47b7d907b3127cceb8847c54d8f100000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

47b7d907b3127cceb8847d32980f00000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

47b7d907b3127cceb884721fd8bd00000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

47b7d907b3127cceb88472edd84f00000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

My sister took these.

And now to Canada!

We had kind of run out of things to do near Canada, so we headed over to Le Cellier and checked in probably 30 minutes early. We went that early last year and were told to come back...this year, they seemd pretty tickled that we were ready early. We waited about 5 minutes before being shown to our table.

Our server this year was Sean, and he did a great job. He told us what province our section was, but darned if I can remember. Something about a polar bear?

For our beverages, my mom & I got the mango smoothie with a splash of cranberry. They've taken the berry smoothie off the menu, which I'd heard and been disappointed about because it was the BEST last year. My mom had had the mango smoothie last year and it was only okay. WELL...they improved it a LOT and these were delicious...

47b7d907b3127cceb884765bd8fb00000025100FcN2bVi3Ym

47b7d907b3127cceb8847432d89300000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

With a cherry on top!

My sister had the sour apple freeze. Sean was impressed she finished it---he said most people don't, it gets to be too much sour for them. My sister found it to be tangy and refreshing.

47b7d907b3127cceb88476a3d80300000025100FcN2bVi3Ym

47b7d907b3127cceb884745359c200000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

We told Sean we didn't need the sourdough breadsticks, just the pretzel bread and the multi-grain...
47b7d907b3127cceb88474ed597c00000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

47b7d907b3127cceb884746b59fa00000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

He brought out three of the multi-grain and came back with freshly baked (still warm) pretzel breadsticks. We really liked this---last year I think we just had one of sourdough & multi-grain and two of the pretzel bread. Not that we need to have two whole breadsticks each, but it was nice...this way no one felt like they were taking more than our share.

These were both delicious, especially with the butter. The butter seemed exceptional here. We are big fans of the multi-grain, and while I didn't get the hype about the pretzel bread last year, this year I thought it was really, really good (although I would still go in with lower expectations---these boards can really set you up for disappointment!).

For our appetizers, we all had the tomato stack, which has also changed some from last year. They also have a salad on the menu, which I had last year and it was good, but the tomato stack is really good. Sean said this was his favorite appetizer on the menu, and he's not a vegetarian.

47b7d907b3127cceb88475be988700000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

47b7d907b3127cceb8858a7bf8e900000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

47b7d907b3127cceb8858a29f8bb00000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

I LOVE BALSAMIC VINEGAR! It was so tasty...nice and salty but with sweetness. PERFECT on tomatoes. Allears says: Beefsteak Tomato Stack - with caramelized onions, marinated mozzarella, and yuzu vinaigrette.
I don't remember the onions. There WERE cucumbers, however. We had figured out what the greens on top were (saw them on a cooking show after we came home, I think), but I can't remember anymore. I can tell you that we thought it might be some sort of baby watercress while we were eating it (it wasn't)...it had a very nice peppery flavor to it. I like greens with a kick. It was really delicious.

The mozzerella was good but expendable if you're vegan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter