8 nights of Disney Deliciousness with Pics---Vegetarians on DDP UPDATED!

I think I read your 2006 review...LOVED it, then realized it was from 2006 and was wishing your reviews were more current...and HERE you are!:cool1: Looking forward to reading more!:banana:

Thanks for your reviews (and pics!). It doesn't seem like there's a lot of protein besides cheese on the CP buffet. No bean dishes? The cheese DOES sound good though! Oh and you did mention the frittata...why is that everyone insists on putting bell peppers in so many veggie dishes? I can't eat bell peppers! (Sorry, it's my personal food peeve)

I'm looking forward to more reviews!

I am really enjoying your review! My husband has been a vegetarian for almost 11 years and loves going to Disney b/c there always seem to be great things for vegetarians. Even if there is just one vegetarian entree on the menu, it is usually something so unique and delicious!

We are eating dinner at Crystal Palace on his next trip, so he will love reading about all the different options!

Thanks!

Thanks for your reviews (and pics!). It doesn't seem like there's a lot of protein besides cheese on the CP buffet. No bean dishes? The cheese DOES sound good though! Oh and you did mention the frittata...why is that everyone insists on putting bell peppers in so many veggie dishes? I can't eat bell peppers! (Sorry, it's my personal food peeve)

I'm looking forward to more reviews!

I'm so sorry you can't do bell peppers...especially since my reply to why they're in everything would have been "because they're delicious (except the green ones)."

Thanks to all for the nice comments!

I'm starting my next post now!

We had seen that there were BERRIES on the buffet at Cape May Cafe, so we ditched our Boma breakfast (I dislike the dinner---liked the breakfast the one year we weren't hurricaned out, overslept, etc) in favor of a Cape May breakfast that morning. Frunch is good, but we can all eat our weight in berries. We're talking blueberries and raspberries, and we saw them in pictures on SEVERAL sites.

So we checked with the concierge about getting to our 7:30 ADR...take the bus from WL to MGM (which had an EMH), then the boat to Beach Club. The plan was to enjoy breakfast then catch a bus to AK and be there just after opening.

WELL...we got a late start as it was and didn't get to MGM until maybe 7:20 as it was...so it was tight anyway. WELL...the boat doesn't actually start until 7:30 from the resorts, so we got on the boat at 7:45. The captain was SUPER nice and told us to just let them know we had been misinformed about the boat times and they'd be able to seat us.

We got into the BC just before 8 a.m. and the CMs at the front were really nice and weren't at all concerned or annoyed with our tardiness. We were seated very promptly---we just had enough time to take pictures in the big chairs in the lobby...things are going okay here!

Our table was not the greatest---right between the kitchen, the buffet, and other tables. It was a little tight (although, really, I don't think there are a lot of GOOD tables here), and it is LOUD in there. WAY louder than CP and with, as far as I could tell, a lot less people.

Oh, and as we walked in, the hostess pointed out the "berry bar" which featured...NO BERRIES! Yes, there were no fresh berries (other than the standard strawberry) to be had at Cape May :guilty: So this was a major disappointment.

Here's what we did eat:

47b7d907b3127cceb8844ecbd87700000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

Clockwise from top: Cheese blintz, pineapple, breakfast potatoes & ketchup, and chocolate croissant

47b7d907b3127cceb8844c01598c00000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

Pineapple, chocolate croissant, cheese blintz, asparagus

47b7d907b3127cceb8844c0ad8b700000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

Asparagus, cheese blintz, breakfast potatoes, and bread pudding

47b7d907b3127cceb8844c8cd83100000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

Bread pudding, asparagus, pineapple, blintz with strawberry melba

I thought we had more pictures of the food, but apparently not. So here's the scoop on the food:
Pineapple: Yes, I know, it's just pineapple, but this was the highlight of the meal---it was SOOOO good. The first two plates are actually mine, so as you can see, I did eat a lot of fruit even though I didn't get my berries. I probably would have had more but I was concerned about canker sores.

Cheese blintz: These were really pretty good...they did have a bit of an orange flavor (and orange zest in them). They were better than the ones we had at 1900 Park Fare a few years ago, but they weren't "wow." I've had better locally (at a catered church breakfast that I played a gig at...). My mom points out that they may have been better had we not been anticipating BERRIES.

Asparagus: It was fine. It was better than the white asparagus in one of the CP dishes (which was AWFUL), but it wasn't the best I've had. It was a little too greasy or buttery or something.

Breakfast potatoes: Yes, these are vegetarian, but no, that's not a good thing. These were awful. I didn't finish mine. For some reason my mom & sister did but wish they hadn't. I didn't try enough of them to pinpoint the problem, but they just were not good.

Chocolate croissant: YUM. I had two. I love chocolate croissants. These were just the right balance of chocolate and flaky pastry.

Bread pudding: "Okay" per Mom & Sister (I generally do not do bread pudding...you'll see the singular exception later in the week). My mom said she'd forgotten they had it, so it couldn't have been too good.

So...we did have some pretty decent food...but would we go back? NO WAY. Not that it was actively bad, and I guess if you're at the BC, it's fine, but it was one of the few meals I've had at Disney that I felt was really not worth the money (we did this OOP, btw---didn't waste TS credits on a breakfast buffet). Actually, if you're at the BC...I would probably try Fresh again...we did this years ago---it was mostly good food but WEIRD service the day we were there...so we'd go back there first if we wanted to be in that vicinity...the potatoes were better there.

SO...we went out to catch a bus and there was a HUGE tour group waiting for the AK bus (and a full one was just leaving). With that group, there definitely wouldn't have been room in the next bus and possibly the bus after that...so we took the bus to MK (which was there and mostly empty). We got there at about 9:15 and I proposed we stay since it'd be at least 10:15 before we got elsewhere. This turned out very well for us, although it was just a funny way to end a very "eh" breakfast.

So we did some MK stuff, and around 11 we decided we were THIRSTY (and maybe a little hungry).

We went into Cosmic Ray's for a drink so we could sit and rest a bit. We decided to get an order of fries to share (all OOP---my mom had a TON of rewards dollars).

This turned out really nicely and was a great break. Nobody wanted a full meal because we had had a breakfast buffet and knew we'd be having dinner at Chefs de France that night, so in the heat, there was no need for lunch...especially so early. We just needed a refresher.

So, here are our fries with toppings for the fries from the toppings bar.

47b7d907b3127cceb88442b2593800000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

AND...Sonny Eclipse was actually playing! We've been here at least 3 or 4 times before, and he's never been on before!

47b7d907b3127cceb8844148986b00000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

I cannot believe they did not have the blueberries and raspberries out! I would have been so ticked off. The last few times we went there DH and I pigged out on the fruit...we are huge fruit eaters and find that Cape May has the largest selection...or at least they did until I read your report.

The best vegetarian selection at all of Disney is at Sunshine Seasons at Epcot. Grilled Vegetable Cuban Sandwich, Roasted Beet and Goat Cheese Salad (my favorite!), Vegetarian Wok, Hummus, Tabouille, Lentil Salad, Three Bean Salad, Pinwheels, Sushi, and lots more I can't remember. And they always have a vegetarian soup.

I'm really enjoying your review. We are going in December with my brother's g/f who is a veggie girl! I'm glad that I choose CP for lunch one day!

Looking forward to reading more!

I'm finding your reviews very interesting! :thumbsup2

I just started eating a large variety of veggies...finally to the point where I would consider a veggie entree (aside from pasta) a "meal". Your Sunshine Season stuff from your last report have me wanting some of that!

Thanks for the report so far! :cool1:

Loved your 2006 report! And 2007 promises to be equally good! Thanks for taking the time to post this!:goodvibes

Can't wait to hear about Chef's! I am actually thinking (Im not vegetarian) I am going to be REALLY light on the meat this trip and may try some vegetarian selections due to feeling REALLY weighed down on vacation eating too much meat ( think that was what happened last trip). I notice even at home if I eat a nice pasta salad and fruit I feel great--but if I add chicken or diced ham/turkey etc to it I feel much more bloated. Wonder if that is why?

Come back soon and post!

Sorry so slow! I promise I'll be better!

So Friday night we ate at Chefs de France. There was a HUGE storm that afternoon, but we managed to be in line for HISTA (and then in HISTA) for the duration, so we were dry.

We arrived at Chefs ~5:15 for our 5:30 ADR and requested a table by the window. Within 5 minutes, we were shown to a table in the main solarium, but right on the edge where it meets the main dining room. We sat here on our 2nd night at Chefs last year and did not enjoy the location---there's not really a view AND it feels a little like you're in the way all the time (no one tries to make you feel this way---the table is just right where they need to walk). So we asked if there was something else a little more out of the way, directly next to a window, or with a view of the pastry counter available. We were asked if the side room would be alright and were then shown to a lovely table right next to the window in the side solarium, which looks out on the French courtyard area rather than the promenade. We really liked this location, but I know some people would like to be closer to the action. This was perfect for us, though, and quieter.

Our server, Sonia, came over and introduced herself (from Nice) and took our drink orders. Sonia was a real sweetheart. She did a super job. She came back with our drink orders, and she went over the menu with us, pointing out what was vegetarian. She mentioned that if we weren't enthused by the entrees, she could see if the chef could do a special vegetable platter. We really appreciated this extra option being offerred. We ordered, and Sonia brought us our rolls (YUM!).

47b7d907b3127cceb884404759cc00000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

ACK---I just typed a ton and then lost it! For appetizers, I had the baked goat cheese salad:

47b7d907b3127cceb884411a983900000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

This was still good, but not as fantastic as I remembered it being. I'm usually a pretty light dressing kinda girl, but I thought this was underdressed, if you will ;) I really like the vinaigrette and didn't taste a lot of it. Usually, this would be a good thing, but it was a little too sparse even for me. The grapes are brilliant on the salad, though, as are the walnuts, and the baked goat cheese was fantastic as usual. I'm not a big endive fan, though. I'd still order it again.

My sister got the tomato & goat cheese tarte.

47b7d907b3127cceb8844610599800000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

She shared a piece, and it was terrific. The little pools you can see are olive oil, btw---very, very good olive oil. The goat cheese here is fantastic---so much better than any I've found locally (or last year at Coral Reef---yuck). The tomatoes were great, and the crust was perfectly crisp were it should be and had absorbed the olive oil beautifully in other spots. This would also make a great entree. My sister describes it as "one of my [her] favorite things." She adds that the tomatoes were fresh and the goat cheese was creamy and salty.

My mom ordered the cheese plate.

47b7d907b3127cceb884463bd88300000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

My mom and sister were both disappointed that there was no longer blue cheese on this cheese plate...however, it's still grown since last year! This is a LOT of cheese. She's still resentful that my sister and I didn't eat more of it: it was definitely enough for two or three OR for an entree. She thought it was delicious.
I'm kind of picky about cheese and there were a few on here that I really liked as well.

For her entree, my mom got the special vegetable platter that Sonia had offerred.

47b7d907b3127cceb8844404d8bd00000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

She shared the brussel sprouts---which we wish she hadn't done! We all LOVE brussel sprouts and felt awful that she didn't eat them herself. If we were to get this again, we'd probably mention that we ARE brussel sprout lovers.
It was very nice that they offerred this but the flavors were a little off. The carrots were a little too mature and didn't have the natural carrot sweetness. The whole thing had a spice that my mom didn't care for; she thinks it may have been sage but she wasn't sure. The tomatoes could have been cooked a little longer so the sweetness caramelized. The lima beans were good. It was FAR too much for one person to comfortably consume.
In retrospect, my mom wishes she'd thought to ask for butter and lemon wedges to squeeze---it would have made it a lot better, but it didn't occur to her at the time.
The presentation was great, it could have served all three of us, and we still think it made sense to try since there were three of us and we knew there would be plenty if she needed to eat off of our plates.

I'm going to break this into two posts so I don't lose some again!

Here's another shot of the veg. plate:
47b7d907b3127cceb88444f1597800000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

My sister got the gratin de macaroni (or, mac & cheese):

47b7d907b3127cceb88447d019c000000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

"It was creamy, cheesy, and noodley"---she thinks she's funny. The cheese is gruyere, which is somewhat like Swiss. It's very tasty---salty but mild. This dish works well because parts of the cheese are baked to be kind of crisp (wrong word, but I think you know what I mean), and then underneath it's really creamy---the texture and flavor is almost like cream cheese (in a good way). I actually wondered if there was another cheese mixed in there, too.

I got the lasagnes de legumes (vegetarian lasagna):

47b7d907b3127cceb88447e619f600000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

Isn't it beautiful?

I took some other shots because the ones I took last year looked gross, and I thought it might be nice to see the vegetables inside:
47b7d907b3127cceb88445f498d500000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

47b7d907b3127cceb88445f119e000000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

47b7d907b3127cceb8845a3dd88b00000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

The vegetables are zucchini, eggplant, bell peppers, onions and tomato, according to Allears. I didn't notice as much of the green pepper as last year (which is a good thing---I don't like the green ones, just the red/yellow/orange ones) and I haven't noticed onion either year. Neither of these comments is intended as a criticism---I think this dish is deliciously mellow in terms of the vegetable flavors. I think veggies with more kick wouldn't balance as well with the gruyere cheese on top (which, btw, is FABULOUS). The zucchini and eggplant were perfectly tender and delicious. The tomato sauce is really tasty---salty enough but also allows the sweetness and natural tomato flavor to really be the star. I really like this dish because it's not over done---they use really good ingredients and let them speak for themselves instead of trying to guild the lily.

And on to dessert...
47b7d907b3127cceb8845b5a194400000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

We were bummed that the fabulous macaroon from last year was no longer available but were up for something new.

My mom & sister got the clafoutis:
47b7d907b3127cceb88458ed596a00000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

47b7d907b3127cceb88459e719f800000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

Pronounced, if you were curious, clah-foo-TEE. The description: rhubarb and blueberry clafoutis, with red berry sauce and sorbet. Per my mom, "It was good but it was no macaroon." My mom couldn't finish, which is unusual with her and dessert. She did say that it was delicious, even though it wasn't as great as the macaroon. The clafoutis itself is kind of like a hard pudding, but softer than that (softer than bread pudding or even Wonderbread). My sister describes it as a "pillow" and my mom said it was custardy. She's also sure she would have loved it had she not been comparing it to the macaroon.

I got the chocolate banana tarte:
47b7d907b3127cceb8845be019fe00000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

47b7d907b3127cceb8845972985d00000026100FcN2bVi3Ym

Chocolate tart with banana and coconut, praline sauce with chocolate ice cream.

The chocolate ice cream was THE best I've ever had. The praline sauce was also delicious. I really liked the chocolate tarte up until I hit banana (but I'm not a big banana fan---I ordered this because I'd read it was so good)...however, I was also that much fuller by that point. The pastry shell was fantastic, and the chocolate filling was really good, too. The fruit on top was also great (I'm a sucker for the fruit on top). I don't really remember the coconut specifically (I really like coconut, though, so if you don't like it, I can't comment). I thought each element of this dessert was tastier separately than together.

Overall, we are still Chefs de France fans, although not as desperate to get back as we were after last year. Now, if the macaroon gets back on the menu.....

I forgot to mention---Chefs has CAFFEINE FREE diet coke. A lot of places don't have this; I thought it was nice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter