52 week money challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to do it random. I already save money the steady consistent way. This little gimmick isn’t the only way I save.

It’s just a fun little game to play with myself. In addition to regular reliable savings.

I’ve also seen it with cents. Do it daily. $.01-$3.65. Which could be fun for kids too.
great idea for the kids!

I'm up to Week #28 and have a total of $1079 in the bank! Woo-hoo! Now that I'm passed the halfway mark, I'm going to continue adding $26 per week for the rest of the year (instead of continuing with the declining balance).

Of course, over the next few weeks, I'm going to start to SPEND some of my savings with airline ticket fees (fares are being booked on points) and race registration fees coming up quick. I'm excited to start putting the trip pieces into place, but am a little sad to know that the stash that I built up over the past 6 months is going to disappear pretty fast.

I couldn’t stand how close I am to having $2000 so I put another $25 in my vacation savings :-)
That is sooo great!!! Doesn't it feel good to have that much already.

I'm up to Week #28 and have a total of $1079 in the bank! Woo-hoo! Now that I'm passed the halfway mark, I'm going to continue adding $26 per week for the rest of the year (instead of continuing with the declining balance).
Great idea for adding that much each week! Your dates will come fast now. Before you know it, you will blink and summer will be over and we will be heading into fall.

We now have the money for the dd destination wedding, plus we have also saved the dh wages for when we are away ( he's in the trades in in Canada their holiday pay is paid out each paycheck, but we usually end up having to use that money for living expenses :sad1:. We have had lots of huge changes over the past three months, and have been able to save plus pay down debt. So now we are saving for our excursions and extra spending money. After that, we will be saving for clothing for the wedding ( and ds graduation 2 weeks later ). Then my plan is to save for a graduation trip to universal for the ds graduation gift.

The idea is simple:

1. deposit $1 into your savings account on week one of this year,
  2. followed by $2 on week two,
  3. $3 on week three, etc, etc,
  4. until you reach week fifty-two where you make your last deposit of $52.
Your final balance at the end of the year is $1,378. It's a simple way to save almost $1,400. You can Download a printable spreadsheet to see how the numbers add up. I like to start at $52 and end with the $1.00 deposit :love:

I see....so the idea is you are depositing money consistently EACH week. This is great.

I did this last year and it worked great for me. I divided it by 2 as I get paid every 2 weeks. I also did it in reverse. Seems easier to start at the most amount and work down. I also round up to the next dollar. I am trying it also for vacation. I started that in October. This works for me as I also have another envelope for peoples birthday and money for Christmas envelopes.

I like this plan too

Virge you are on fire!!!!! keep going :)

Thanks! This challenge has really motivated me to do a little extra saving. I loved the suggestions to do it randomly & backwards. Marking off low amounts at the beginning of the year when money was still tight from Christmas helped get me going. Once money wasn’t so tight, I started focusing on doing it backwards. Seeing the amount grow has kept me motivated. When I have crossed off everything down from $52-$26, I’m going to try what @sandam1 suggested and stick to $26 for the rest of the year. I imagine things will get tighter in November & December, but it’s worth trying!

Thanks! This challenge has really motivated me to do a little extra saving. I loved the suggestions to do it randomly & backwards. Marking off low amounts at the beginning of the year when money was still tight from Christmas helped get me going. Once money wasn’t so tight, I started focusing on doing it backwards. Seeing the amount grow has kept me motivated. When I have crossed off everything down from $52-$26, I’m going to try what @sandam1 suggested and stick to $26 for the rest of the year. I imagine things will get tighter in November & December, but it’s worth trying!

I am hoping to do the same once I get to the $26 amount too, I am loving this challenge but haven't been able to do in over a week due to some unexpected house/car repairs :(

I have now (sadly) reached the point where my stash of challenge cash is going to start declining. Last Thursday, I registered for the Disney's marathon weekend (half marathon for me and 5K for my best friend and myself). I had a $200 gift card from my Disney credit card which covered part of it, but I still wound up buying another $200 (or $190 after my Redcard discount) in gift cards from Target. I know that's what the money was set aside for, but I liked watching the numbers go up and not down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter