4 WDW Resorts to allow dogs

Problem is if a little toy poodle bites you might need stitches at most but if a pit bites you it can be deadly.
Yes, but neither one is a family friendly experience. PP stated their fear that someone would bring a "non-family friendly breed." Technically, that's all breeds. Any dog from any breed can be family friendly or non-friendly family. I even had a golden once try to jump through a plate glass window to try to get the kids inside. A golden. Literally any breed can be non-family friendly.

Yes, but neither one is a family friendly experience. PP stated their fear that someone would bring a "non-family friendly breed." Technically, that's all breeds. Any dog from any breed can be family friendly or non-friendly family. I even had a golden once try to jump through a plate glass window to try to get the kids inside. A golden. Literally any breed can be non-family friendly.

Of course neither is a positive situation, both would be awful for the family and Disney .... but in the end some stitches would be a much better option to mortal wounds. I could easily knock a smaller dog off my child, I probably stand no chance of breaking a pit's grip on my child. All data & statistics show that pits and a couple other breeds commit the majority of attacks and their attacks tend to be mortal wound attacks.

This is why many hotels, apartments and close living neighborhoods have bans against these breeds. It's not to be mean to the breeds, it's to protect residents from the breeds who do the most damage.

If Disney had followed industry standards and put some restrictions to breed/size, it would have lowered some of the backlash that came from fear of attacks to themselves, their children or even their own dogs.

Interesting that this is still going on. Regardless of how anyone feels about the program, Disney definitely dropped the ball on the roll-out.

While it's too late to stop the widespread panic, things to keep in mind:

-Realistically, there is a VERY small percentage of people who will take advantage of this. Will people do it? Sure. Will the 4 resorts suddenly be overrun with dogs? Not really. Given the price and length of time of most Disney vacations, it makes very little sense to bring dogs. People will still do it because people are nonsensical especially when it comes to their pets, but it still doesn't make a ton of sense.

-this is a pilot program. A year from now we'll see one of three things happen: 1) Program will be expanded to other resorts, 2) Program will be extended at the same 4 resorts possibly with changes about rules and penalties, 3) Disney will end the program and return to not allowing pets. Given the response I've seen pretty much everywhere, my guess would be either 2 or 3. I don't see the overwhelming demand to expand it and definitely see a lot of negative responses that could lead to it ending. It will all hinge on real world dollar impact on Disney. If people move their reservations to other Disney resorts but they still come close to capacity at the dog-friendly resorts, there will be no change. If people start moving offsite and there aren't enough doggie reservations to cover the cancellations, we will see the program cancelled.

I fully agree that the biggest issue I had with this is how it was rolled out. If it was announced as something that would go into effect in a few months after some more substantial modifications to resorts and clear explanation that there would be specific areas that are for dogs and only allowed there, etc. AND that CMs were fully informed and giving consistent answers to questions - I would probably feel different

But to role it out and say it is going into effect in 2 days and impacted people who already had their stays booked in these resorts.... I saw someone who had POR booked and has children with allergies and the only other options that would fit her family were more expensive and Disney said it was up to them to pay the difference. That doesn't seem right

I think in the end it will work out and might even be much ado about nothing - but I also can understand the concerned reaction people had right away - especially those that already had stays booked ... and all about how it was rolled out more than anything

Maybe to some. No offense, but flippant posts like this are why some threads have been locked.
Nio offense taken, I'm just one of those guys that has a particular family member that ruins a lot of things by taking her dog everywhere with her and it makes me a little crazy, so these entire threads make a little crazy.

I can’t imagine that many people will bring large breed dogs because of how they would need to transport them and also the fact they need to bring crates. I’m sure airline costs to bring a dog that size would be a lot. For people driving they have to factor in space in their cars for large dogs plus the dog crate and all the dog supplies. Not to mention having space enough in the room to house the large dogs and their crates. It seems to me that people with smaller dogs will be the ones to take advantage of this.

Nio offense taken, I'm just one of those guys that has a particular family member that ruins a lot of things by taking her dog everywhere with her and it makes me a little crazy, so these entire threads make a little crazy.
What makes me crazy is when ppl in threads think their opinion is the only valid point & everything else is fair game for sarcasm & mocking.

I can’t imagine that many people will bring large breed dogs because of how they would need to transport them and also the fact they need to bring crates. I’m sure airline costs to bring a dog that size would be a lot. For people driving they have to factor in space in their cars for large dogs plus the dog crate and all the dog supplies. Not to mention having space enough in the room to house the large dogs and their crates. It seems to me that people with smaller dogs will be the ones to take advantage of this.
I agree. Also, most likely ppl taking their dogs are particularly close to their pets & would not fly with them if they had to put them in cargo. So it’s only ppl driving who think the dog needs to come & they feel like dealing with it. I think that would be a relatively small demographic.

These people will bring their dogs in their cars for no cost and while they might bring their crate, Disney is not requiring any crates in the rooms. I have a 70lb dog, med size SUV ... we travel back and forth to FL with 3 adults, suitcases, 70 lb and 12 lb dogs. I could save more than half of my boarding if I brought them to Disney instead. Since Disney has virtually created no rules or restrictions or impositions to me, yeah, I'd drive down with my big dog. My big dog thinks the sofa, bed and my lap are hers so we would never notice her in the room.

PS If I brought her crate, it folds flat to a couple inches so wouldn't even know it was there.

In one of the prior threads I said I'd post about any negative or positive dog experiences I had since people were worried how AOA would effect Pop. I saw no dogs at all there. I did see someone sneak 2 dogs into epcot though...which after having my entire wallet gone thru was interesting to see them get 2 dogs in by hiding them in a baby carriage as if it was a child.

yeah real problem is CM inforcing. Yeah are they going to have time clocks on room doors so they know its only 7 hours, too and are they allowed to walk everywhere or not

They already do, Myrfid door system at work is no different then Disney's except my door reader doesn't have Mickey ears on it. I can run a report for 6 months every time the door opens from the out side or inside

I haven't read this entire thread, but having just made my dogs a reservation at a local pet resort for the first time, I have to say I wouldn't be keen on bringing them to Disney. When I'm at Disney, I'm not going to be spending a lot of time tending to my dogs. And if they're going to stay locked in a crate in the room while I'm off in the parks for most of the day and night, why bring them along at all?

This pet resort my boys are staying at is super cool. For $40/night they get a spacious indoor/outdoor run with heated floors, lots of play time outside in big, grassy, fenced areas, and the attention of the resort staff. I went in person to make the reservation, and the vibe is just great. Immaculately clean, everything was all decorated for Halloween at the time so I bet it'll be adorable at Christmastime, the people were so nice, and I saw happy doggies.

I'd much rather my pooches be at their own resort while I'm at mine.

I haven't read this entire thread, but having just made my dogs a reservation at a local pet resort for the first time, I have to say I wouldn't be keen on bringing them to Disney. When I'm at Disney, I'm not going to be spending a lot of time tending to my dogs. And if they're going to stay locked in a crate in the room while I'm off in the parks for most of the day and night, why bring them along at all?

This pet resort my boys are staying at is super cool. For $40/night they get a spacious indoor/outdoor run with heated floors, lots of play time outside in big, grassy, fenced areas, and the attention of the resort staff. I went in person to make the reservation, and the vibe is just great. Immaculately clean, everything was all decorated for Halloween at the time so I bet it'll be adorable at Christmastime, the people were so nice, and I saw happy doggies.

I'd much rather my pooches be at their own resort while I'm at mine.
For the first time, I left my dog in boarding for a week last summer. I was terrified he would be miserable or not well taken care of.

When I picked him up, he looked happier and healthier than ever. It was like he got his own separate vacation.

My dog loves other dogs, so this might not work the same for everyone, but he loved his stay. I hope yours has the same experience.

For the first time, I left my dog in boarding for a week last summer. I was terrified he would be miserable or not well taken care of.

When I picked him up, he looked happier and healthier than ever. It was like he got his own separate vacation.

My dog loves other dogs, so this might not work the same for everyone, but he loved his stay. I hope yours has the same experience.

Went through years of someone having to stay home each trip because our dog was traumatized, sick and upset at kennels (I still would not have brought her to Disney). Then I found a pet resort that she not only loves but runs out of the car on arrival. She never liked other dogs so she had her own suite, she got private swim lessons (bone shaped pool :-)), private trail walks, private playground time, ice cream, spa treatments. But now that we have a second dog, her best buddy, and DD added a dog, I think she could join in the group play.

I know the worse of kenneling and the very best. When you find a good place, even the most introverted non-social dogs can have a great time and like you say, their own vacation.

Went through years of someone having to stay home each trip because our dog was traumatized, sick and upset at kennels (I still would not have brought her to Disney). Then I found a pet resort that she not only loves but runs out of the car on arrival. She never liked other dogs so she had her own suite, she got private swim lessons (bone shaped pool :-)), private trail walks, private playground time, ice cream, spa treatments. But now that we have a second dog, her best buddy, and DD added a dog, I think she could join in the group play.

I know the worse of kenneling and the very best. When you find a good place, even the most introverted non-social dogs can have a great time and like you say, their own vacation.
Yeah I have the same issues. One of my dogs doesn’t mind. The place is fantastic & they get great care. But, one of my dogs is a clingy little thing. It doesn’t matter who I leave him with, he gets depressed & doesn’t eat :( He’s young & I’ve had to board him frequently in small increments so I think each time is easier. But, if it doesn’t get better as he gets older, I may have to consider using this policy for future visits.

We just dropped our two girls off at the boarding kennel, as we are on Route to our vacation in Orlando. The two of them were so excited when we got to the kennel that they went bounding to the door and sagged their tails and gave love to the manager and practically leaped over the counter to get in LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter