4 WDW Resorts to allow dogs

I think the issue should really be with big dogs in general. I have a big dog & a little dog. Both are young & can’t be trusted to be unsupervised. But, if I can’t watch the litte one for a few minutes, I feel ok with leaving him out, but I put the big one in the kennel b/c he is more likely to cause damage in just those few minutes. My point is that bigger dogs can cause damage much faster, in general, especially if they bite someone. And, to that end, I do think that that pit-bulls are a very strong breed so capable of even more damage then maybe another large dog that’s not as muscular. But, I do think they get singled out unfairly b/c I don’t think that they’re the only large breed that is powerful. But there is a reason ppl choose to fight these dogs vs other breeds.

Completely agree that pit bulls are powerful, muscular, and capable of causing damage. They also surprisingly had a higher pass rate of the American Temperament Test than Golden Retrievers.

So irritating to see picture on prior link that shows dog on bed with Mickey ears on. First off, I hate that the dog is on the bed. 2nd- it's a dog!!!! Does anyone really think it likes to have Mickey ears on? It's a dog!! Quit treating them like people.
I don’t get why so many ppl get bent out of shape about ppl treating their dogs like ppl as you say. What’s it to you?

Completely agree that pit bulls are powerful, muscular, and capable of causing damage. They also surprisingly had a higher pass rate of the American Temperament Test than Golden Retrievers.
But, if you look up stats, these breeds are the ones that have most frequently been linked to fatal attacks: pit bulls, Rottweilers, German shepherds, huskies, Alaskan malamutes, Doberman pinschers, chows, Great Danes, St. Bernards and Akitas.

All powerful breeds. Most are not usually considered “family-friendly”. For this reason, these are among the breeds that are usually banned from neighborhoods & excluded from insurance policies. I agree that pit bulls get unfairly singled out as there our other breeds, but it doesn’t make them not potentially dangerous. As far as the temperament of a golden, there are not usually accounts of Golden’s killing ppl. Not saying they don’t exist, but I have personally never heard of one locally or nationally. Like I said, there has to be a reason ppl fight pit bulls & not Golden’s. But, to be fair, I worked in veterinary medicine for sometime in college & the breeds that were notorious for biting or aggression were Akitas, Dobermans, Dalmatians, Chows, & German Shepherds. Little dogs too, but, like I mentioned earlier, that was just a nuisance b/c it would hurt if they bit you, but it’s not the same as an attack.

I think the issue should really be with big dogs in general. I have a big dog & a little dog. Both are young & can’t be trusted to be unsupervised. But, if I can’t watch the litte one for a few minutes, I feel ok with leaving him out, but I put the big one in the kennel b/c he is more likely to cause damage in just those few minutes. My point is that bigger dogs can cause damage much faster, in general, especially if they bite someone. And, to that end, I do think that that pit-bulls are a very strong breed so capable of even more damage then maybe another large dog that’s not as muscular. But, I do think they get singled out unfairly b/c I don’t think that they’re the only large breed that is powerful. But there is a reason ppl choose to fight these dogs vs other breeds.

Agree, have a 12 lb and 70 lb dog, if the behavior was the same, I have a better chance with the 12 lb. My 70 lb is a boxer mix and chill. My DD has a 50 lb Lab mix. I am sure there is pit in him but tell her to never say out loud due to restrictions. He is a doofy silly dog that I have no fear of BUT his jaw and teeth are machines compared to my boxer. That is the pit in him. If he were to exhibit the same exact behavior of the others, the damage would be bad.

He was at my house, ran in garage where one of DS basketballs were on the floor. He ran to pick it up to play and in one second his teeth punctured the ball. He wasn't even trying. Needless to say I sent ball home with him as DD has to keep him happy with lots of balls and very hard chew toys.

All data and statistics support that something like 60% of severe and mortal dog attacks are committed by pit bulls and a couple others. No one is saying because they are naturally bad. But I do think all dogs have a natural behavior. My 12 lb is a rat terrier, raised as an indoor dog, but let him outside and he will "hunt" for hours, has killed squirrels, chipmunks and rabbits (much to my dismay). But that is his breed and instinct. I believe pit bulls are used for fighting because of something in their nature that makes them good at it. We never know when a dog might get upset, so if we say all three of ours get upset for same reason at same level ... I assure you the one with pit in him will do much more damage.

But, if you look up stats, these breeds are the ones that have most frequently been linked to fatal attacks: pit bulls, Rottweilers, German shepherds, huskies, Alaskan malamutes, Doberman pinschers, chows, Great Danes, St. Bernards and Akitas.

Great Danes? WOW, that surprises me. I have known several, the most chill, gentle laid back dogs, almost to point of being comical due to their size. When my DD was baby she would lay up against a friends for hours and dog would act like her babysitter.

If it weren't for their size, I would have one for their behavior.

Agree, have a 12 lb and 70 lb dog, if the behavior was the same, I have a better chance with the 12 lb. My 70 lb is a boxer mix and chill. My DD has a 50 lb Lab mix. I am sure there is pit in him but tell her to never say out loud due to restrictions. He is a doofy silly dog that I have no fear of BUT his jaw and teeth are machines compared to my boxer. That is the pit in him. If he were to exhibit the same exact behavior of the others, the damage would be bad.

He was at my house, ran in garage where one of DS basketballs were on the floor. He ran to pick it up to play and in one second his teeth punctured the ball. He wasn't even trying. Needless to say I sent ball home with him as DD has to keep him happy with lots of balls and very hard chew toys.

All data and statistics support that something like 60% of severe and mortal dog attacks are committed by pit bulls and a couple others. No one is saying because they are naturally bad. But I do think all dogs have a natural behavior. My 12 lb is a rat terrier, raised as an indoor dog, but let him outside and he will "hunt" for hours, has killed squirrels, chipmunks and rabbits (much to my dismay). But that is his breed and instinct. I believe pit bulls are used for fighting because of something in their nature that makes them good at it. We never know when a dog might get upset, so if we say all three of ours get upset for same reason at same level ... I assure you the one with pit in him will do much more damage.

Great Danes? WOW, that surprises me. I have known several, the most chill, gentle laid back dogs, almost to point of being comical due to their size. When my DD was baby she would lay up against a friends for hours and dog would act like her babysitter.

If it weren't for their size, I would have one for their behavior.
Yeah. That’s the stat I saw, but I have never had a problem with a Great Dane. I have a golden & a dachshund. Dachshund is the same way, always hunting & on alert. Golden is a goofball!

I don’t get why so many ppl get bent out of shape about ppl treating their dogs like ppl as you say. What’s it to you?
I'm not the PP but I have a hard time with that in a macro sense, seeing how much time and money is put into dogs when there are so many needy people in the world.
I know it sounds like "you can't treat a dog nice if there are starving children in Africa." But it still drives me a little bonkers.

I'm not the PP but I have a hard time with that in a macro sense, seeing how much time and money is put into dogs when there are so many needy people in the world.
I know it sounds like "you can't treat a dog nice if there are starving children in Africa." But it still drives me a little bonkers.
Unless someone is a missionary or something like that in Africa or wherever devoting all of their time & $$ into helping save the needy ppl in the world, I’m sure there are many things most of us do that could be argued would be better time & $ spent on others including vacationing in WDW.

Respectfully those two things, dogs and "many needy people in the world", are not related to each other at all. Unless you're suggesting you do not spend money on anything anyone could consider as unnessary amount of time and money.

Personally I just understand that we all spend money and devote time to things someone else considers 'a little bonkers' to use your wordage.

Me buying books for one example (even a half-off the publisher's price or less for many of them) has been rarely understood in my experience unless you're a fellow book-lover, even the fact that I am a book-lover makes some people shake their heads as they cannot understand the desire to read like I do. Heck my husband for the longest time couldn't imagine why I would want to spend $ on a book that I have previously read before (so I can re-read a book I really enjoy). On the other hand my husband has a thing for gadgets hence why we have an X-Box, a Wii (although admittedly I bought that before we lived together when we got married), a Roku stick, a Amazon Fire stick, a smart TV that comes with the stuff that Roku and Amazon Fire stick have, blue tooth speakers, 2 tablets (though one is too old now and won't update), etc.

The dog that attacked me was considered a marshmallow right before he attacked. Then he wasn't. Forty-five years later, I can still show you the scars.
You were bit by a pit?

I was attacked by my neighbor's German shepherd when I was 10 and still have the scar too. He went straight for my neck, with his lower jaw connecting under my chin and his upper jaw raked down my cheek. I only have a scar under my chin now. The dog that attacked me was not well socialized and I can see now that he felt threatened by my presence which is why he became aggressive. At 10 I didn't see the signs that he was getting agitated when I was in his territory; aka my neighbor's yard. I made sure to overcome fear of dogs but I am cautious with them. I have two small dogs (7 lbs and 11 lbs) but I've had bigger dogs as a teen and adult.

I've said before that I am neutral on the subject of dogs at resorts, and not opposed to the fact that they implemented the policy. I still don't see how a lot of people would find it convenient or easy to bring bigger dogs. Some will, but it is far easier to bring smaller dogs, IMO. For us, I know it wouldn't work. My dogs like their normal routine with the sitter but I also have a relative who takes his dog all over and his dog is very well behaved in hotels. Hopefully people will consider their dog's well being before making the decision to take them to Disney.

@mckennarose , I was bit by an Akita. Chased down, while on my bike. I was on a public sidewalk. The dog was tied to a picnic table. The dog dragged the picnic table along. The only reason that the dog didn't get any part of my head was because the picnic table ended up wedged tight and the dog couldn't get any closer.

He didn't stop attacking me until an adult hit the dog with something large and heavy. I went to the emergency room, the dog went to the pound.

@mckennarose , I was bit by an Akita. Chased down, while on my bike. I was on a public sidewalk. The dog was tied to a picnic table. The dog dragged the picnic table along. The only reason that the dog didn't get any part of my head was because the picnic table ended up wedged tight and the dog couldn't get any closer.

He didn't stop attacking me until an adult hit the dog with something large and heavy. I went to the emergency room, the dog went to the pound.

I know we've gone OT with the breed argument, but I'll add my .02.

I never believed in the stereo types that came with breeds. I believed that it all had to do with upbringing/training.

We got an Akita puppy when he was 8 weeks old. Trained him, loved him, was one of the family. Slept at our kids bed at night, played with them all day every day.

At 2 years old, our dachshund decided to stick her mouth in his bowl (Over the 2 year time period, this has happened many times, this was just the first time it lead to the incident) Our Akita grabbed our little dog, shook her around like a rag doll, and flung her across the room, then went about finishing his meal. The dachshund survived. I have never witnessed a dog snap like that. I never trusted the dog again. We sent him to an Akita rescue group, who told us we were very lucky that never happened with our children. They said no one with a family with small children should have one of these dogs. I now know why these breeds are singled out.

Latest reports on the resort board for actual experiences is confirming my fears when this was first announced. Fort Wilderness is going to the dogs with piles of poo and non-stop barking. There is also a report of a seeing a lot more dogs in the parks. Just how many are actual services dog and how many are declared as "service dogs" is the $64,000.00 question.

Latest reports on the resort board for actual experiences is confirming my fears when this was first announced. Fort Wilderness is going to the dogs with piles of poo and non-stop barking. There is also a report of a seeing a lot more dogs in the parks. Just how many are actual services dog and how many are declared as "service dogs" is the $64,000.00 question.

And someone at YC reported only seeing one dog at that resort and being walked in the back I believe. As far as "service dogs" in the park I agree that is the $64,000 question...guess it goes along with seeing more service dogs on planes and in stores...

I saw only one negative report by only one person on the dogs in resorts thread and they were at FW. ??? The others I saw that recently mentioned dogs on the YC and POR threads were not negative, but positive. Unless I missed some?

I saw only one negative report by only one person on the dogs in resorts thread and they were at FW. ??? The others I saw that recently mentioned dogs on the YC and POR threads were not negative, but positive. Unless I missed some?

In fairness, most Disney guests are not on here so we would never have a collection worth noting ... also many here don't even know that thread is there, I didn't until another poster said something. There have been some "negative" comments in other threads that didn't make it into that thread.

That's ridiculous. Do you buy coffee? Drive a car? Go out to dinner? Have Netflix? Well stop that and send that money to Africa.

At first I admit I was annoyed by Disney allowing dogs, but honestly I really just don't care.

I live in the city and am surrounded by all sorts of dogs all the time. Hear them barking everyday. See them walking everyday. I used to have two dogs, just cats at the moment, but I love dogs.

I just can't get myself worked up over having to sidestep some errant dog poop. And as long as service dogs have been allowed in hotels, there's never a guarantee you'd get a room that hasn't had a dog reside in it before you.

And I saw a picture of someone walking their little dog down the boardwalk by Yacht Club and it actually made the hotel even more charming to me! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!