4 WDW Resorts to allow dogs

For the first time, I left my dog in boarding for a week last summer. I was terrified he would be miserable or not well taken care of.

When I picked him up, he looked happier and healthier than ever. It was like he got his own separate vacation.

My dog loves other dogs, so this might not work the same for everyone, but he loved his stay. I hope yours has the same experience.
That's so great!
My guys have been boarded, but only at our vet's office, and while they were safe, it isn't an ideal place. There is no grass yard for them to go out in, so they spend the entire time on concrete. My dogs do not use the bathroom "inside" and they consider being on concrete "inside". The last time I boarded them there (they've only been twice), they would hardly eat. When I got them home, they immediately went to the bathroom (pee and poop) over and over and over. It was obvious they had held it. I felt so bad for them.

This place they're staying in December is super nice. Lots of grass to poop and pee on! They're fine with being inside for long stretches, they stay in the house all day when I'm at work and sleep inside all night. But by gosh, when it's time to potty, they want a yard!

Yes, but neither one is a family friendly experience. PP stated their fear that someone would bring a "non-family friendly breed." Technically, that's all breeds. Any dog from any breed can be family friendly or non-friendly family. I even had a golden once try to jump through a plate glass window to try to get the kids inside. A golden. Literally any breed can be non-family friendly.

Agree, it's how they are treated. Even a Pit Bull can make a good pet. I read about one in Australia. The family had one for a short time. A rescue. The mother was watching it and their daughter playing in the yard. In a flash the dog lugged and dragged the girl across the yard and collapsed. She panicked with the thought of killing the dog until she saw one of deadliest snakes in the world. The dog saved the little girl's life and got bit in the process. The dog barley survived.

To quote an article " Some of these myths include the beliefs that pit bulls have locking jaws and are more likely to bite than other breeds. To clear that first one up once and for all, pit bulls do not have any anatomical mechanism that would cause or allow their jaws to lock. No dog does. And while pit bulls still get a lot of bad press, they’re no more likely to bite someone than any other breed."

http://www.care2.com/causes/heres-what-pit-bulls-are-really-bred-to-do.html

The Pit Pull is a Pit Bull Terrier. I had a Terrier mutt. It was very friendly, loyal and protector. If I had treated it mean it would have been a vicious dog.

ull terrier

Last edited:
Agree, it's how they are treated. Even a Pit Bull can make a good pet. I read about one in Australia. The family had one for a short time. A rescue. The mother was watching it and their daughter playing in the yard. In a flash the dog lugged and dragged the girl across the yard and collapsed. She panicked with the thought of killing the dog until she saw one of deadliest snakes in the world. The dog saved the little girl's life and got bit in the process. The dog barley survived.

To quote an article " Some of these myths include the beliefs that pit bulls have locking jaws and are more likely to bite than other breeds. To clear that first one up once and for all, pit bulls do not have any anatomical mechanism that would cause or allow their jaws to lock. No dog does. And while pit bulls still get a lot of bad press, they’re no more likely to bite someone than any other breed."

http://www.care2.com/causes/heres-what-pit-bulls-are-really-bred-to-do.html

The Pit Pull is a Pit Bull Terrier. I had a Terrier mutt. It was very friendly, loyal and protector. If I had treated it mean it would have been a vicious dog.
I don't know that anyone said anything about "locking jaws." Or even more likely to bite someone else.

Just that their bites can be devastating.

I don't know that anyone said anything about "locking jaws." Or even more likely to bite someone else.

Just that their bites can be devastating.
Well someone did say "non-family friendly breed like a pit bull". That's quite a bit more than "their bites can be devastating" and frankly the mentality that all pit bulls=___{insert whatever you want} has been expressed in different ways by different posters in different threads. It is a mentality in our society at this point.

*It's why I posted I wondered when this thread would become about breed specific argument

I never met a dog I didn't like. I've loved all of the dogs that have been a part of my family. I would describe myself as a dog person.

But I really don't think dogs have any place on a typical Disney vacation. The typical Disney vacation often demands you spend most of your waking hours away from the room. Being locked alone indoors for that many hours per day is no vacation for a dog. Taking a long round-trip during the day to take care of the dog is no vacation for the family.
If I could hit the "LIKE" button twice for your post, I would!

Just returned and saw many dogs. I’d say at least three a day. Most seemed to be service dogs. All were well behaved.

Having said that, I’m not a fan of the policy expanding beyond what it is right now.

Just returned and saw many dogs. I’d say at least three a day. Most seemed to be service dogs. All were well behaved.

Having said that, I’m not a fan of the policy expanding beyond what it is right now.
Where were you that you saw the dogs?

Many major hotel chains are allowing pets now (Hilton, Marriott, etc) So I guess this isn't out of whack with that.

Have dogs become such popular travel partners that its bad business not to welcome them?

I don't want to bring my dog on vacation and I do think that Disney is the worst place for a dog. I could see a beach or a lake, that makes more sense to me

Maybe its more of when people are evacuated because of hurricanes and Disney wants the business of those who can't go there now because of their dogs. This will open their business to more people like that.

We always boarded our dogs when we went on vacation. Now we do not have dogs (or cats) as two of my four dc have allergies. So, we will not stay at any of the resorts which allow dogs. It's not a policy I like or feel is that necessary. I have to be extremely careful as one of my ds's develops severe asthma around dogs. I guess it was more important that people be able to bring their pooch on vacation than protecting human life. In the end, there are plenty of other places to stay so it's nothing to get worked up about.

We always boarded our dogs when we went on vacation. Now we do not have dogs (or cats) as two of my four dc have allergies. So, we will not stay at any of the resorts which allow dogs. It's not a policy I like or feel is that necessary. I have to be extremely careful as one of my ds's develops severe asthma around dogs. I guess it was more important that people be able to bring their pooch on vacation than protecting human life. In the end, there are plenty of other places to stay so it's nothing to get worked up about.
“Human life” will still be “protected” at all of the remaining resorts that don’t allow dogs. Like you said “it’s nothing to get worked up about “.

“Human life” will still be “protected” at all of the remaining resorts that don’t allow dogs. Like you said “it’s nothing to get worked up about “.

Yup, and that is why I am not worked up ;-)

For those who think pit bulls aren't family-friendly, please check this out! It's about what happened to Michael Vick's surviving dogs. They were initially going to put them all down, but were able to save the vast majority of the pits he abused. They are more forgiving than most humans. https://stories.barkpost.com/vicktory-dogs/

For those who think pit bulls aren't family-friendly, please check this out! It's about what happened to Michael Vick's surviving dogs. They were initially going to put them all down, but were able to save the vast majority of the pits he abused. They are more forgiving than most humans. https://stories.barkpost.com/vicktory-dogs/
That is wonderful that those dogs were able to find homes.

But what does that have to do with their jaw strength?

That is wonderful that those dogs were able to find homes.

But what does that have to do with their jaw strength?

It doesn't have anything to do with their jaw strength. The point is that a pp called pit bulls non-family-friendly dogs, and this is clearly showing them to be very family-friendly. There is an ignorance and prejudice out there against pit bulls that is completely misguided. Probably over 99% of these dogs are marshmallows. You don't have to worry about jaw strength with a calm dog. I would worry more about a terror attack at Disney than someone bringing their attack dog there.

It doesn't have anything to do with their jaw strength. The point is that a pp called pit bulls non-family-friendly dogs, and this is clearly showing them to be very family-friendly. There is an ignorance and prejudice out there against pit bulls that is completely misguided. Probably over 99% of these dogs are marshmallows. You don't have to worry about jaw strength with a calm dog. I would worry more about a terror attack at Disney than someone bringing their attack dog there.
The dog that attacked me was considered a marshmallow right before he attacked. Then he wasn't. Forty-five years later, I can still show you the scars.

I think the issue should really be with big dogs in general. I have a big dog & a little dog. Both are young & can’t be trusted to be unsupervised. But, if I can’t watch the litte one for a few minutes, I feel ok with leaving him out, but I put the big one in the kennel b/c he is more likely to cause damage in just those few minutes. My point is that bigger dogs can cause damage much faster, in general, especially if they bite someone. And, to that end, I do think that that pit-bulls are a very strong breed so capable of even more damage then maybe another large dog that’s not as muscular. But, I do think they get singled out unfairly b/c I don’t think that they’re the only large breed that is powerful. But there is a reason ppl choose to fight these dogs vs other breeds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter