34-Year-Old Man Who Died After Getting Coronavirus Had Visited Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

He was also at Universal, a work conference, two airports, and on one plane before symptoms began. As of right now there is no direct correlation to WDW. The story also states he coughed up blood on March 7th and got to Orlando on March 2nd, only staying a couple extra days to go to WDW and Universal, and most sources are reporting a longer incubation period than that.

I’m not saying I doubt anything in this story and I truly feel terrible for his family, but the headlines singling out WDW are ignoring a lot of other factors. With that being said, if he did in fact get it at one of the parks, I do hope it didn’t spread to other guests or CMs.

He was also at Universal, a work conference, two airports, and on one plane before symptoms began. As of right now there is no direct correlation to WDW. The story also states he coughed up blood on March 7th and got to Orlando on March 2nd, only staying a couple extra days to go to WDW and Universal, and most sources are reporting a longer incubation period than that.

I’m not saying I doubt anything in this story and I truly feel terrible for his family, but the headlines singling out WDW are ignoring a lot of other factors. With that being said, if he did in fact get it at one of the parks, I do hope it didn’t spread to other guests or CMs.

Yep, but people are enjoying spinning themselves out right now. It’s crazy. I’ve seen some wild posts the last week. I know we are all cooped up at home, but dang.

The Chinese have done an early study and found that people with type A blood are more susceptible to the virus and type O is more resistant. However, the sample size is still too small to rule out it being a coincidence.
I would like to mention that this particular study has NOT been peer-reviewed and it is preprint meaning it has not been evaluated by peers in the same specialty (experts). This process is how professionals safeguard against the misinformation being presented as scholarly. It is a rigorous process and by this study not being peer-reviewed yet, it means the information within the study should not be used. So as much as we want to spread information about immunity, let's make sure we are spreading truthful, scientific information!

It did not say that he "caught" it from WDW or US, but that he visited the parks and a very high possibility that he had the virus and was a carrier during most of his visit. And yes you want to point out WDW and US because of the thousands of people that were there. I was in total agreement with Abigail Disney when she went off about WDW having the park open and the tons of people at the fireworks on the last night.
I agree about people going overboard, but what's worse are the people that are still not taking it seriously.

It did not say that he "caught" it from WDW or US, but that he visited the parks and a very high possibility that he had the virus and was a carrier during most of his visit. And yes you want to point out WDW and US because of the thousands of people that were there. I was in total agreement with Abigail Disney when she went off about WDW having the park open and the tons of people at the fireworks on the last night.
I agree about people going overboard, but what's worse are the people that are still not taking it seriously.
That wasn’t the point, the point is that the timeline doesn’t make sense and that news outlets only putting Disney center stage and ignoring all the other factors is only adding to people’s paranoia by demonizing the most magical place on earth, and “Disney World” gets a lot more clicks than just “Orlando area” or “Orlando theme parks and a work conference”. I think you’re confusing “take seriously” with “not believing every last detail in news articles you see on Facebook”.

I wonder if they are contacting the other participants of his conference. Imagine wondering if you sat next to him. Do you all think this event contributed to the parks being closed?

That wasn’t the point, the point is that the timeline doesn’t make sense and that news outlets only putting Disney center stage and ignoring all the other factors is only adding to people’s paranoia by demonizing the most magical place on earth, and “Disney World” gets a lot more clicks than just “Orlando area” or “Orlando theme parks and a work conference”. I think you’re confusing “take seriously” with “not believing every last detail in news articles you see on Facebook”.
Please! Un-confuse me and tell me how the timeline does not make sense? He flew in March 2nd, most likely went to his conference, which they should have definitely mentioned where the conference was and the name of it. He most likely got it on the flight in or at the conference. He then heads to the parks as an unknown carrier. Again, they are going to focus on WDW and US because, it will get people's attention and like I said before, that is where he would of interacted with the most people during his stay. "demonizing the most magical place" REALLY!! Talking about overreacting.

I wonder if they are contacting the other participants of his conference. Imagine wondering if you sat next to him. Do you all think this event contributed to the parks being closed?

Not at all. If it wasn't this guy being the first case officially connected to WDW there would have been another one. All of this was inevitable. Social distancing is vital right now because of the amount of unknown cases running around at any given time, possibly never officially being COVID-19 cases.

Please! Un-confuse me and tell me how the timeline does not make sense? He flew in March 2nd, most likely went to his conference, which they should have definitely mentioned where the conference was and the name of it. He most likely got it on the flight in or at the conference. He then heads to the parks as an unknown carrier. Again, they are going to focus on WDW and US because, it will get people's attention and like I said before, that is where he would of interacted with the most people during his stay. "demonizing the most magical place" REALLY!! Talking about overreacting.

He arrived March 2nd for a conference and coughed up blood March 7th. Went to WDW and Universal his last days, 5th and 6th. The virus had a longer incubation than a day. Yes, he may have had it while in the parks but until others are tested positive that were also in the parks it’s irrelevant. Again, none of that was the point.

The point is that all the articles only listing Disney as the place he got it are pandering for clicks and it’s not wise to just associate Disney with this case when chances are he got it at the airport or his work conference, and those details are being largely ignored which is dangerous for anyone he may have come into contact with at his conference or anywhere else really.

Not at all. If it wasn't this guy being the first case officially connected to WDW there would have been another one. All of this was inevitable. Social distancing is vital right now because of the amount of unknown cases running around at any given time, possibly never officially being COVID-19 cases.

Judging by the generic response by Disney it looks as if they are not taking any responsibility, and rightly so.

Judging by the generic response by Disney it looks as if they are not taking any responsibility, and rightly so.

It's our collective fault that we didn't stay home sooner, that businesses in general didn't shut down faster, that our governments didn't step in sooner, that our lead on this was squandered away, etc. To blame Disney for a case there because they didn't close is ignoring the big picture, IMO. This is everywhere and there have been mistakes made by a whole lot of people.

If a case associated with a Disney park is surprising people, they just haven't been paying attention.

We were in the parks that week too. I came home with a nasty cough that has lasted 2 weeks now.

Do I have COVID? Probably not, I’ve never had a fever. And no one else in my family has gotten sick at all. And the usual generic cold germs have not ceased to exist with the advent of this illness.

But the idea is there in the back of your head.

Keep in mind, the average patient only spread to between 2 and 3 people. While I doubt this was the only person walking around wdw with COVID, it’s not like one person is statistically likely to spread it to hundreds.
That’s not how the math works though... he infects 2 people, who each infect two people, who each infect two people... and so on. Especially if he infected CMs who, unlike most people, interact with thousands each day and so are likely to spread to more than just two.

That’s not how the math works though... he infects 2 people, who each infect two people, who each infect two people... and so on. Especially if he infected CMs who, unlike most people, interact with thousands each day and so are likely to spread to more than just two.

But disney is fairly transient. So people also left and took those infections to their home locations where we see them grow now. And yes it grows exponentially but you might not see it grow in the wdw sample

I’m going to guess they would contact all the people directly registered for the conference.

But disney is fairly transient. So people also left and took those infections to their home locations where we see them grow now. And yes it grows exponentially but you might not see it grow in the wdw sample
Unless he infected CMs

I had to go back and re-read the article. I didn't take from it that they were insinuating he caught it there - doesn't seem possible from the dates - but that he might've unknowingly spread it there. But I agree it gets more attention by highlighting the WDW piece. So sad regardless.

The point is that all the articles only listing Disney as the place he got it are pandering for clicks and it’s not wise to just associate Disney with this case

The article posted never says he contracted covid-19 from wdw. It gives the full timeline including the days he was at the park. Are you reading other articles that are specifically stating he caught it at WDW? Or are you just referring to comments people are making because they can’t read???

This maybe why they international CMs at EPCOT walked out that day. Perhaps Disney kind of let them know what was what. Maybe Disney also asked them to leave to help alleviate the medical centers of a few extra patients. I'm just guessing here folks, please don't take what I've written as fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter