34-Year-Old Man Who Died After Getting Coronavirus Had Visited Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I know of one dis guy but I don’t know him. He posts about quarantine and feeling sick. If he died, we wouldn’t hear from him.

On a personal note, I’ve seen about a dozen confirmed cases in my job. My saying that means that’s about a dozen who died either with it (Something else may have killed them but they also tested positive for Covid) or from it.

But today’s a new day. We’ll see what it brings.
Add two.

I think it would be interesting at this point to know how many of us on the DIS boards have been diagnosed with it or having had it. So far in my world, I've only heard of "my cousin's son's girlfriend" kind of connections to it. I am a hairstylist in my town and know no one directly affected. As far as I have seen, no one has been diagnosed or died from this on these boards unless I've missed something. This should be a bit of an eye opener because we are from every end of the country and even the world on here. I for one do NOT trust the media and I think there's much more going on than meets the eye. I think it's awfully convenient to say that most people are asymptomatic. I'm just not buying everything I hear or read.
I haven't been diagnosed with it, but I know many people who have - either via testing or presumptive diagnoses. It certainly depends on where you live and the timing of when the virus got there. And, of course, privilige matters to - this board has people who can afford to go to Disney posting on it. Of course that's a wide range of economic circumstances, but implies a certain amount of economic stability. This virus is disproportionately affecting people who cannot work from home, who have to continue to expose themselves - along with medical workers (who don't have the time to post right now!). So this board is by no means a good sample of people getting infected at the moment, though the disproportionate number of people who travel likely means more people who got it before there was widespread testing (which, of course, most US states still don't have!)

Do you know any healthcare workers? The stories I'm hearing from friends who work in major hospitals are heartbreaking, absolutely heartbreaking. Every doctor and nurse I know is treating COVID patients all day, every day, regardless of training or specialty.

I think it would be interesting at this point to know how many of us on the DIS boards have been diagnosed with it or having had it. So far in my world, I've only heard of "my cousin's son's girlfriend" kind of connections to it. I am a hairstylist in my town and know no one directly affected. As far as I have seen, no one has been diagnosed or died from this on these boards unless I've missed something. This should be a bit of an eye opener because we are from every end of the country and even the world on here. I for one do NOT trust the media and I think there's much more going on than meets the eye. I think it's awfully convenient to say that most people are asymptomatic. I'm just not buying everything I hear or read.
Just because you have not experienced anyone with the illness does not mean that "the media" is lying to you. In the US, we've had just under 700,000 positive tests out of 328,000,000 people so far. That's 2/1000 people currently (note that this will obviously change/increase significantly as time goes on and we get better at testing). Have you spoken with or encountered 1000 people or do your friends and family consist of that? Have you personally checked in with each person?

You can't take your own personal anecdotal experience and base your entire worldview around that. Personally, I have a family member in medical school on my wife's side that is likely affected, and may have inadvertently infected her sister and two older parents, and may have risked infecting her grandmother. My company has several people on leave due to contracting the illness, and I am not privy to if they've been hospitalized or passed.

However, my experience isn't everyone's. The media is reporting totals released by each county and state government, that then reports to the federal government. If you think the media is untrustworthy, you should think the same of your government.

Also, in relation to your other point: we have not heard of a massive outbreak related to Disney because in the weeks after Disney closed, the US was still experiencing a shortage of tests and even those with symptoms had difficulty getting tested. It's ramped up a lot now, bt we would have needed to be able to test each individual and completed contact tracing, which it doesn't appear that public health officials did or even were able to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter