3 different resort contracts - Theory vs Practice

Stargazer65

Disney Honorary Bus Driver since 2009
In theory having 3 contracts at 3 resorts was a great idea for me. I want to take a trip every year. Utilizing banking and borrowing, I would max out one resort each year and use all 3 years of points at that resort. So a three year rotation at a different resort each year. One of the resorts is also a different use year, but that’s okay, because I would using it for a different trip anyway. Also the second use year would give additional flexibility for when to take the trip. :thumbsup2

In practice it’s a little trickier due to a combination of factors. One issue is I just got the additional 2 contracts last year, so I’m just getting started on the rotation. It was expected that we’d need to do some trip finagling to get the resort point totals into an initial lineup. However, the biggest issue right now with the idea is the 50% borrowing rule. That leaves a lot of leftover points. I’m pretty much resigned to a split stay every trip to clean up the points right now, or more trips(s). :car:

For instance, I just booked a trip for Easter of 3 days SSR, 5 days BLT, and 3 days BRV. This leaves a leftover of 25 pts SSR in this UY, and I don’t want to borrow any from UY22 at SSR to make an extra day because we plan to bank everything SSR for a Treehouse stay in UY23. So I can piece together another stay between the planned two, convert 2 RCI, etc… Ideally, if I there is a 1 day availability at SSR I’ll get OTU points and make it 4 days to clean up the points. :confused3 Lots of options, but you get the idea…it’s not as simple in practice as it was in theory. Combining BLT and SSR is not so easy because 7 month availability is sketchy especially now. Also, the second UY for BRV adds just little more challenge to it all.

So there you have it. I don’t have any questions, and I’m not complaining. I was just merely posting this for those of you contemplating buying. :scratchin Maybe this might give you some food for thought before you get multiple resorts and/or UYs.

Do I plan any changes? I may sell my BRV contract with the odd UY eventually, and then either add more SSR or BLT in the same UY. But for now, we plan to work with it and enjoy it.

One issue of multiple resorts during the busiest time would be that what happens when you can't get nights 3-6 after booking 1-2 at the other resort?

You essentially are playing the 11 month window game 3 times instead of just once for good or bad.

We own BWV June, CCV April and SSR February. So far we haven't had any issues but we don't plan on the borrowing/banking yet and it seems when we add on to get more points and a bigger room, we stick to studios and go more!!!! hahaha such is the life of addonitis and DVC!!!!

We own BWV June, CCV April and SSR February. So far we haven't had any issues but we don't plan on the borrowing/banking yet and it seems when we add on to get more points and a bigger room, we stick to studios and go more!!!! hahaha such is the life of addonitis and DVC!!!!
Going more often is a perfectly good way to juggle multiple contracts. Probably the easiest way if you live close, or can travel often.

One issue of multiple resorts during the busiest time would be that what happens when you can't get nights 3-6 after booking 1-2 at the other resort?
Thas's a possible problem also if you are trying for a high demand room. BLT, SSR, and BRV were pretty wide open in April (10 months) for 1 bedroom villas this weekend when I booked. Now when we book the treehouse in 2023 we are going to do it at 11 months exactly, which is why we're conserving the SSR points.

I have to say - and I have said already on various threads - the new 50% borrow rule (new to us having joined '08) is a big negative monkey wrench. I was popping along using my points like always when our family vacation in February was 'short sheeted' by the 50% borrow rule. At the 7 months mark I'm gonna try and finagle another day in hoping the site offers a solution. I have to admit that a 4 day vacation with family for us is fine but I'm feeling bad for the progeny.

I have to say - and I have said already on various threads - the new 50% borrow rule (new to us having joined '08) is a big negative monkey wrench.
I concur.
(Contrary to all the people that post on the 50% borrowing restriction fan thread...I think it is the pits!)

I concur.
(Contrary to all the people that post on the 50% borrowing restriction fan thread...I think it is the pits!)
Seriously! No one is a FAN of the 50% borrowing rule. But a lot of us understand that we all have to endure this pain thanks to DVC extending expiration dates and banking windows and "unborrowing" points for members during the pandemic. It took a dump on my plans as well but I'm adult enough to accept that this isn't all about me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter