2019 Fiscal Q1 Disney Earnings Report

Eye to hand coordination, quick twitch movements and team based games (league of legebds). The global market is huuuuge. Most games do the lend themselves to esports, and most don't have the impact like the top few games that have large international draw that can fill up Madison square garden.
Meh, not for me. I don’t consider that a sport. I don’t consider Poker a sport yet that’s on ESPN too.

It's not really something that's up for opinion. I mean you can have that opinion, all the more power to you. But it's still wrong.

It's not really something that's up for opinion. I mean you can have that opinion, all the more power to you. But it's still wrong.
I don’t think that’s how it works. Many people have the opinion that cheerleading/poms/dance isn’t a sport. I don’t think there is a set factual list of what is a sport and what isn’t.

Just to add something actually factual to my snarkiness, last year's world championship for league of legends grabbed 200M viewers. ( I think that was the number, someone e could fact check me if that was overall or concurrent viewers) that's a global number

I used to do gaming journalism, I know it makes a ton of cash. Still it's like the restaurant business, more failures than successes. And fewer long term successes if you want a stable business model. Disney is smart sticking with liscencing.

Perhaps, but they aren’t even really licensing very much. They don’t need to develop it, but they should be involved heavier than they are.

They have almost no presence in gaming.

Last edited:

I used to do gaming journalism, I know it makes a ton of cash. Still it's like the restaurant business, more failures than successes. And fewer long term successes if you want a stable business model. Disney is smart sticking with liscencing.

I am less of an expert, but that is my thought - hard to be successful at it for a long time (and when you are, like EA, it usually is a shift away from what made you great to what you can make money off of)

BTW - like the new signature image!

Whether it's in-house development or licensing - it's still a bit shocking that one of the world's biggest multimedia companies has almost no presence or prominence in the video game market. Especially for a company with a strong focus on the youth demographic.

It's anecdotal - but my kids loved playing Disney Infinity and the sandbox elements. It was their introduction to a number of characters and IP related to Disney. Now? The only exposure they get to most of the Disney brands is when we go to the parks. For a company that built its current empire in part on childhood nostalgia, it may not be a good thing long-term to ignore a heavily influential market among today's kids.

Whether it's in-house development or licensing - it's still a bit shocking that one of the world's biggest multimedia companies has almost no presence or prominence in the video game market. Especially for a company with a strong focus on the youth demographic.

It's anecdotal - but my kids loved playing Disney Infinity and the sandbox elements. It was their introduction to a number of characters and IP related to Disney. Now? The only exposure they get to most of the Disney brands is when we go to the parks. For a company that built its current empire in part on childhood nostalgia, it may not be a good thing long-term to ignore a heavily influential market among today's kids.

This. My kids were really disappointed when they discontinued Infinity .

same here with my kids (and, to be honest, me) - they still play Disney Infinity quite a bit, but they were disappointed no new figures were coming out. Apparently it was losing money as they over made certain figures that wouldn't sell, but I don't know, seemed like a way to print money to me

I had hopes they would just license it out and let someone else continue to develop content for it

CNBC had an analyst on this morning basically saying that Disney hasn’t nearly reached the maximum ticket prices yet...Grandparents are still lining up with the grandkids to take them to Disney.

CNBC had an analyst on this morning basically saying that Disney hasn’t nearly reached the maximum ticket prices yet...Grandparents are still lining up with the grandkids to take them to Disney.

I think we are getting closer to that peak pricing.

Realistically, do you think we'll see a February increase? And how high will they go? As drastic as DL?

I’m not sure if we will or not. Prices aren’t set anymore at WDW. They change by the day now so really they could increase prices overnight and how would we really know for sure unless you’re watching it every day.

Good point. Well played, Disney.

I wonder if Disney are aware of how big Nintendo is likely to be as a park franchise, or are giving much thought to Netflix/Amazon licensing more video game characters for kids cartoons. Right now, thanks to their own IP, MCU, and to a slightly lesser extent Star Wars they're on a bit of a cultural crest with IP. The next generation of kids aren't going to have loyalty to that though - they'll gravitate towards what is cool then, and Disney should not take those kids for granted.

As for DI, yeah my daughter was the same. We weren't really a Disney household, so she knew mostly Eisner and after Disney/Pixar. DI introduced her to a lot of characters and stories that otherwise would not have resonated with her. I've heard Iger's reasoning behind closing Avalanche, but honestly with a bit of a shift away from maximizing revenue through the toys, that game should have been itemized under the marketing budget.

I think we are getting closer to that peak pricing.

I don’t know - maybe for us “regulars” - but there is a whole population of people who can and will still pony up for that once-in-a-lifetime trip.

I don’t know - maybe for us “regulars” - but there is a whole population of people who can and will still pony up for that once-in-a-lifetime trip.
I’m thinking I’m terms of where attendance will peak. People are going to come even if they charge $500 a day however attendance will be down at that point.

RE: video games, it is unbelievable how much Disney COULD do with their portfolio but hasn't. I think they were actually on the right track with Disney Infinity but the biggest screwup there was that most people just don't care about the toys-to-life thing and don't want to have to buy figures in order to play those characters (Nintendo got this right with amiibo because you don't need the amiibo to play, I've never actually used the amiibo I have to play).

At the core of it though I'm just furious that we haven't gotten an all ip kart racer, or even something with just Disney/Pixar.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!