2019 Fiscal Q1 Disney Earnings Report

It's currently on Netflix, but they have been cancelling all the Marvel shows. Everyone is hoping they will be reborn on the Disney streaming service as they are very popular.

Yeah, we don’t watch all of them but do enjoy Jessica Jones - it’s definitely more in the upper PG-13 if not R rated level though so not sure if they will have that on Disney+ or move it to Hulu or something

I feel the same way...yet my teen, tweens and their friends stream hours of watching someone else play video games. :confused3 I also think it will gain more and more mainstream popularity as this generation ages and the next one comes along. (See Twitch, for example)

my kids do the same and I think it is odd/don't get it .... but then we go and watch a show with someone else buying a home or doing home remodels so I guess not that different :D

love how that is the headline, but then pretty quickly the article turns to "Disney's stock rose 2% initially in after hours trading on Tuesday before coming back down. 2019 could prove to be one of Disney's biggest year" (so I don't think it is too big of a "stumble")

I do agree with the analyst they quoted in there about how Disney+ could wind up being the make or break for Disney (as far as financial and stock performance) this year. If they get that right it is a game changer and helps to under a lot of the downward pressure from less income from ESPN, etc.

love how that is the headline, but then pretty quickly the article turns to "Disney's stock rose 2% initially in after hours trading on Tuesday before coming back down. 2019 could prove to be one of Disney's biggest year" (so I don't think it is too big of a "stumble")

I do agree with the analyst they quoted in there about how Disney+ could wind up being the make or break for Disney (as far as financial and stock performance) this year. If they get that right it is a game changer and helps to under a lot of the downward pressure from less income from ESPN, etc.
I’m actually a bit surprised how little ESPN+ has been talked about. It’s up to over 2 million subscribers now. It is home to the UFC now which helps.

Disney+ with enough existing and new content could be more appealing to me and I’m sure other consumers than Netflix.

That was my takeaway from the article too. It's hard for me to see that all of Disney's financial basket falls into the success of Disney+ for 2019. It's certainly a large portion of the revenue pie, but I've seen stock prices factor in future earnings (>12 months) and not so much a stock's TTM.

Disney+ with enough existing and new content could be more appealing to me and I’m sure other consumers than Netflix.

Personally I’ve been on the line with cancelling Netflix for some time, they’re complete lack of care for quality has turned me away. Where I’m really excited to see what Disney+ has. I think they’re really going all in on it. If they actually deliver, I see it taking off to a huge start.

It's currently on Netflix, but they have been cancelling all the Marvel shows. Everyone is hoping they will be reborn on the Disney streaming service as they are very popular.

Netflix has the "broadcast" rights, the JJ series will run its course there. It think it is wishful thinking that those shows move anywhere except as reruns. The shows wouldn't meet the Disney+ "family-friendly" threshold, which would only leave Hulu as an option. But the cast and crews for Iron Fist, Luke Cage and Daredevil have already been released from any existing contract and probably already moving on to new projects. When a show gets cancelled, everyone is thrown off the lot the very same day and starts looking for work.

Last edited:
I’m actually a bit surprised how little ESPN+ has been talked about. It’s up to over 2 million subscribers now. It is home to the UFC now which helps.

Once it rolls out and we see what it is on it I can see us cancelling Netflix - there are definitely things we watch on there but I feel like there isn't *that* much that we *need* to see vs just are watching as it is "best available" that could easily be replaced by what is on Disney+ - but we shall see

Once it rolls out and we see what it is on it I can see us cancelling Netflix - there are definitely things we watch on there but I feel like there isn't *that* much that we *need* to see vs just are watching as it is "best available" that could easily be replaced by what is on Disney+ - but we shall see

Netflix has a ton of success with their "originals" but I don't seem to be in the demographic they are targeting with those. But my SO works from home and probably gets enough use out of it to keep it.

I only got Netflix in the first place for the Marvel shows, so once those are done I don't really have a reason to keep it. My sister will be annoyed if she has to start paying for her own then. :D

Within a few years, the gaming industry will pull in 5 times the amount that the film industry makes. eSports will also surpass all other sports worldwide. It’s shortsighted to ignore the industry.

I used to do gaming journalism, I know it makes a ton of cash. Still it's like the restaurant business, more failures than successes. And fewer long term successes if you want a stable business model. Disney is smart sticking with liscencing.

I still don’t get eSports. That’s not a sport to me.

Eye to hand coordination, quick twitch movements and team based games (league of legebds). The global market is huuuuge. Most games don't the lend themselves to esports, and most don't have the impact like the top few games that have large international draw that can fill up Madison square garden.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter