2019 Fiscal Q1 Disney Earnings Report

He says they've been successful in licensing with EA, for example. I wanted to throw my laptop out the window when I hear him say that! :headache::mad::badpc:

ugh, well at least Kingdom Hearts III came out pretty good (only took 13 years, but still!)

ugh, well at least Kingdom Hearts III came out pretty good (only took 13 years, but still!)
I'm about 20 or so hours in (in the middle of arrendale) now and I am really enjoying it. The graphics are great.

I get why Disney doesn't want to be in the video game making business and would rather license out the rights, they don't loose money that way in the way they did with their big gamble on Disney Infinity and write down they took on that.

Making video games is a terrible business to be in.
Within a few years, the gaming industry will pull in 5 times the amount that the film industry makes. eSports will also surpass all other sports worldwide. It’s shortsighted to ignore the industry.

Within a few years, the gaming industry will pull in 5 times the amount that the film industry makes. eSports will also surpass all other sports worldwide. It’s shortsighted to ignore the industry.
I still don’t get eSports. That’s not a sport to me.

I still don’t get eSports. That’s not a sport to me.
I don’t either, but it’s huge somehow. And I grew up a big gamer. Looks like it’ll also be in the Olympics before long.

I'd really like to know how exactly they are calculating the size of eSports, I have a very hard time believing that is revenue.

I'd really like to know how exactly they are calculating the size of eSports, I have a very hard time believing that is revenue.
There are two rankings, ratings or revenue.

The Super Bowl is the largest for US sports and draws roughly 100 million viewers or so.
The largest eSport matchs have drawn 40-60 million viewers. (This is skewed differently than the Nielsen ratings used for Superbowls. Like Netflix and other internet based views, it counts streams started not watched fully. Nielsen counts only views of a large portion of the event.)

Revenue it’s still lagging behind. I think it hit $1.5 billion last year for eSports vs the $7.8 billion for the NBA, $10 billion for the MLB, and the $15 billion for the NFL. But it’s growing at a much faster rate.
The gaming industry as a whole though will hit almost $200 billion in the next 2 years. The film industry is around $40 billion.

So generally those statements refer to the ratings and not revenue.

There are two rankings, ratings or revenue.

The Super Bowl is the largest for US sports and draws roughly 100 million viewers or so.
The largest eSport matchs have drawn 40-60 million viewers. (This is skewed differently than the Nielsen ratings used for Superbowls. Like Netflix and other internet based views, it counts streams started not watched fully. Nielsen counts only views of a large portion of the event.)

Revenue it’s still lagging behind. I think it hit $1.5 billion last year for eSports vs the $7.8 billion for the NBA, $10 billion for the MLB, and the $15 billion for the NFL. But it’s growing at a much faster rate.
The gaming industry as a whole though will hit almost $200 billion in the next 2 years. The film industry is around $40 billion.

So generally those statements refer to the ratings and not revenue.
Interesting. I don't find it hard to believe that the revenue of the gaming industry is much higher than film.

To me watching other people play video games is right behind mopping the floors in my interest level, unless I am watching a tutorial or something.

Interesting. I don't find it hard to believe that the revenue of the gaming industry is much higher than film.

To me watching other people play video games is right behind mopping the floors in my interest level, unless I am watching a tutorial or something.

I feel the same way...yet my teen, tweens and their friends stream hours of watching someone else play video games. :confused3 I also think it will gain more and more mainstream popularity as this generation ages and the next one comes along. (See Twitch, for example)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter