2019 DXDP - are you allowed to share? Post your ACTUAL experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were there last week at Ohana (1/20-1/27), we sat next to a table that had 6 people trying to pay with the Deluxe plan. The manager came to the table after the waiter explained that the Deluxe plan credits could no longer shared. The family told them that they had been told by a CM that they could share and that is why they bought the deluxe plan in only one of their rooms. The manager came back and explained that it was being abused and that not allowing sharing of the DDP credits it is now being enforced. He went on to explain to them that families/friends that were in 2 or more rooms were getting the deluxe dining in just one of the rooms and then using the plan credits for both rooms and that Disney is now enforcing no credit sharing on the deluxe plan. The family was really upset and ended up having to pay for 2 meals out of pocket. We talked to them after the manager left and they said they had been doing it this way for a few years and couldn’t believe they were not allowing it anymore. They said they had a room with 3(mom, dad and 17 yr old) in one room and their married daughter and husband and baby in the other room. They said it was their first day of their 10 day vacation and there was no way they could eat all the food between 3 of them on the deluxe plan and having to pay for 2 meals at every meal was crazy when they have the credits. 2 days later we ran into them again and asked if they had run into anymore issues, they said that they had been told the same thing at Boma, Tusker House & Coral Reef and that the only place that allowed it and said nothing was Homecoming in DS. They had also gone to BOG dinner and Chef De France they were told the same thing but the manager allowed it as a 1 time courtesy. Just wanted to share that experience.

If they say its because it's being abused it has to be because people are using child credits for adults..... and since they can see the make up and still allowing it, isn't it their fault it's being abused? Using an adult credit for another adult isn't abusing the system. If i paid for xx number of adult credits and use xx number of adult credits, they aren't losing money, I'm not stealing food, or getting more bang for my money. Using all credits for myself just means I'm throwing away food.

Potential sharing workaround— tell me if this would work.

For my upcoming trip in March I have the deluxe dining plan for room 1 (2 adults / 2 kids) and no plan for room 2 (2 adults/ kids). We had been planning to use the 12 credits/day to pay for one character meal breakfast/lunch per day (8 credits) plus 1 table service dinner per day (4 credits) for all 8 of us, and just share the 3 courses at dinner.

It sounds like they won’t let me pay for 8 buffets on the 1 reservation that is linked to a 4 person dining plan.

But what if I split the 8 person reservation into 2 groups of 4, and ensure 1 adult who has the meal plan sits at each of the two reservations. Then when the waiter inquires how we will pay, we have them scan the band of the meal plan eligible adult, which will show eligibility for 2 adults/2 kids for each of the parties.

This should work, no? Only issue is that we might not all sit together. But given it’s only a few meals, seems worth the inconvenience to get the cost savings.

As long as you don't all pay at the same time. Wait until one has paid and left before the other one pays.

Just an update. Ate at Garden Grill and Rose & Crown yesterday. Did Mama Melrose Fantasmic dinner package tonight. Used DxDDP from 2 adult 1 child room to cover 4 adults and 1 child (3 adults and 1 child at R&C). Never a question.

Tomorrow is Sci-Fi, then finishing out our trip with Beaches & Cream and The Edison.

This is a pretty easy problem to solve. You’re sitting at a table with six people. Have one person scan their band for the three people in the one room and have another person scan their band for three people. Problem solved ‍♀️

This is a pretty easy problem to solve. You’re sitting at a table with six people. Have one person scan their band for the three people in the one room and have another person scan their band for three people. Problem solved ‍♀️

That only works if you have 2 adults on the dining plan. We’ve got 1 adult and 2 kids in each room

The server sees the reservation, including names and ages of those on the reservation. If they are going to enforce "no sharing", they will know you are using 2 bands from 1 room.

We're not going until September but I keep checking this thread for updates. We have 3 rooms booked and we were even planning on using adult credits for kids but it seems like even that won't be allowed. Guess I'll make all my reservations as planned and see what happens as it gets closer.

We're not going until September but I keep checking this thread for updates. We have 3 rooms booked and we were even planning on using adult credits for kids but it seems like even that won't be allowed. Guess I'll make all my reservations as planned and see what happens as it gets closer.
I don't see any reason why they wouldn't allow using an adult credit for a child - either because that's what you have, or because the child wants an adult meal.
It would common sense for them to crack down on people only paying for kids' plans and using then for adults and it seems that would be easy to enforce. But don't see why they would care if you treat someone with the plan you paid for and pay out of pocket for another meal?
When you treat someone not on the plan, the restaurant gets zero revenue from that diner. I think the expectation has (always) been that the visitors with the dining plan will use all, or the vast bulk of*, their credits on their own meals, while visitors without a dining plan will spend actual money.

*Sure, DDP users have "gifted" random other guests with leftover credits for pretty much the entirety of its existence - but this is different.

It would common sense for them to crack down on people only paying for kids' plans and using then for adults and it seems that would be easy to enforce. But don't see why they would care if you treat someone with the plan you paid for and pay out of pocket for another meal?
I so agree with this. Why would they care how you use your credits for adults, you’ve already pre paid for them. The problem is people trying to pay less (child meal) and get more (adult meal). No matter how you slice it, that’s scamming the system. If you know your kid eats a ton of food....pay for it!

When you treat someone not on the plan, the restaurant gets zero revenue from that diner. I think the expectation has (always) been that the visitors with the dining plan will use all, or the vast bulk of*, their credits on their own meals, while visitors without a dining plan will spend actual money.

I don't understand how that would work. If I have the plan for 2 people and use 4 credits to cover two others that are dining with us, I am assuming the restaurant is getting reimbursed for whatever they receive for 4 dining credits. Is this not the case?

I think this change would only impact Disney overall. I believe, especially with the deluxe plan, they assume all the credits will not be able to be used, as least not for all high dollar table service. That has always been the case for us when we have not shared our credits. Where we gain value, is by sharing our credits for the more expensive meals among our party not on the plan. That either allows us to use all our credits or maybe paying OOP for a few lower priced meals.

I don't understand how that would work. If I have the plan for 2 people and use 4 credits to cover two others that are dining with us, I am assuming the restaurant is getting reimbursed for whatever they receive for 4 dining credits. Is this not the case?

I think actual revenue is different from credit reimbursement. I also think Disney is counting on people not having the appetite to use all their credits. For as long as they allow treating others, great. But I can see why they'd be cracking down, too.

Yeah, the restaurant will be reimbursed for whatever credits are used. Disney gets more money if all credits are used by only the people in the room and the extras have to pay for themselves (cash or also get a DDP).

Yeah, the restaurant will be reimbursed for whatever credits are used. Disney gets more money if all credits are used by only the people in the room and the extras have to pay for themselves (cash or also get a DDP).
Yes, exactly. Thank you for explaining it much better than i did!

So, after reading this thread, correct me if I'm wrong: The only direct experiences where this wasn't allowed was from Hollywood and Vine and 50's Prime Time?

As with all of you, we will just plan to avoid those restaurants. My problem is our trip not until Nov 2019, so Disney could roll out an implementation by then.

My family is:
Room 1: 1 Adult, 3 kids (3-9) with the DxDP
Room 2: 1 Adult, 1 adult kid no DxDP, planning to share from the inexpensive child credits in Room 1.

Keep the restaurant reports coming!

So, after reading this thread, correct me if I'm wrong: The only direct experiences where this wasn't allowed was from Hollywood and Vine and 50's Prime Time?

That is incorrect. There have been reports from Ohana, Cali Grill, Turf Club, Tusker House, Cape May and others.

H&V and 50s are the only two that are consistently saying NO. All the others have been sometimes no and sometimes no problem.

So... if I am on the Deluxe and have extra credits and want to take a friend to dinner... would this be an issue? Trying to follow along but I got a little confused. If they are my credits and I want someone else to eat... I'm not really sharing my food - thanks

So... if I am on the Deluxe and have extra credits and want to take a friend to dinner... would this be an issue? Trying to follow along but I got a little confused. If they are my credits and I want someone else to eat... I'm not really sharing my food - thanks

Maybe, maybe not. That's the whole discussion here. Disney is being VERY inconsistent on this. 90% of reports are there is no problem and people have been able to purchase a meal for someone not on their plan. The 10% or so that have not are the problem because you never know which group you may land in when you try to do it.

Yes, this is exactly the issue.

It has been allowed before with no problems, but now some restaurants/managers are not allowing this and some are. So there's no way to know if you will be allowed or not.

In December 2018 we had 2 rooms at AKL. My daughter, her boyfriend and 2 kids in a studio. The other 6 of us (4a and 2c) were in a 2br villa. Daughter had Deluxe dining and we had QS dining on our room. At the Luau they would NOT let her use her deluxe credits for all 10 of us. I told the CM that we had done it the previous night at BOG and thought it was used. The next morning, I went to pay my room charges with giftcards and there was a charge for 6 of us for the Luau. I told the CM at the desk that my daughter was using her dining credits for all of us and i should not have been charged. The CM applied the credits to the account and removed the charges. I know this is YMMV but there is no way I was going to pay for that when we had booked only 3 table service meals for all of us and BOG nor HoopDeeDoo balked at using daughter's deluxe credits for all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter