You wish you could report people renting rooms 10 months out?

Do you wish DVC would intake reports of rentals 10+ months out?

• Yes

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • No

Votes: 77 49.7%
  • Do not care

Votes: 63 40.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is language in the contracts that gives DVD the right to do things that other owners can’t, so I’d be surprised if this wouldn’t be one of them.

But, I think they are content with the current t set up and don’t see them getting rid of renting.
Don't they also mention commercial renting in some regard (or at least some mythical number you can't exceed)? If some criteria already exists, then it would be a matter of carefully massaging that criteria to address what may be an emerging commercial market (not saying one exists, but there are certainly some signs).

It would seem that if there is some qualifying language, then renting is in fact not an absolute right. Again, for about the tenth time, no one is suggesting that they eliminate an owner's right to rent their points, but merely suggesting that controls MIGHT be beneficial to curtail for-profit renting on a commercial scale, as long as they are placed at a level that doesn't risk curtailing "normal" renting.

I will say, I wouldn't be sure DVC had any reason when they originally wrote the POS and contracts, to curtail commercial renting. Heck, it probably wasn't even a thing (IF it is now, which is obviously debatable) if it even existed. But as with many things, times may have changed. Also, one need look no further than Aulani and OKW to appreciate that even the folks on the legal end of DVC can royally screw up on occasion.

I mean, even our Constitution, arguable the single greatest document ever written defining the governance and legal principles of a society, has been amended 27 times, and I'm sure we'll agree that the Founding Fathers were pretty smart guys.

Also, DVC may also know full well that there has been a rise in commercial activity, but may not particularly care as a reservation is a reservation, and bodies spending money are bodies spending money, so there's no downside for them. It may need to be vocalized.

Last edited:
I got an idea…..
Why doesn’t someone call member administration and complain….
Then let us all know how you make out !

That should put this to bed one way or another

The contracts do say not for commercial use. The never officially defined what commercial is. At one point they sent the 20 rental warnings as a clear number but as far as the contract goes, it is not for commercial use. If people need to file taxes for rental income, does that make it commercial? Maybe not. If the contracts are being rented out more than half of the time, could that make it commercial rather than predominantly for personal use?

If they did clarify with something like 33% usage over 3 years, cushions could be built in for what you described. A warning could be issued the first event then reset. Maybe additionally they can allow 2 proxies to be named as interchangeable with the owner. If you or one of your proxies cannot use the contract over 6 years, how is this contract being used?

Doesn’t matter much anyway. I doubt they’d ever touch this unless issues around 11 month booking became so severe and common knowledge that sales suffered.
If that is 20 rentals per year per contract I highly doubt anyone has been charged with violating this " rule". Hell, if you had a 5,000 point contract you could have 19 separate 264 point rentals in a year and still be in compliance.

If that is 20 rentals per year per contract I highly doubt anyone has been charged with violating this " rule". Hell, if you had a 5,000 point contract you could have 19 separate 264 point rentals in a year and still be in compliance.
Is it 20 rentals per contract or membership (each UY) or just one member renting through all his memberships for the year should not exceed 20 reservations?

Is it 20 rentals per contract or membership (each UY) or just one member renting through all his memberships for the year should not exceed 20 reservations?

The most recent definition I know of is 20 reservations in the name of others without a rolling 12 month period in a membership that will trigger a review of your account as a potential for renting for “commercial purposes”

it is not by contracts. Now, someone who is on more than one membership is still limited to a number of total points they can own, which I believe includes things like LLC. That is 8000.

The most recent definition I know of is 20 reservations in the name of others without a rolling 12 month period in a membership that will trigger a review of your account as a potential for renting for “commercial purposes”

it is not by contracts. Now, someone who is on more than one membership is still limited to a number of total points they can own, which I believe includes things like LLC. That is 8000.
the "get around that" is easy one contract in your name, the next in another family member etc....

wow! so those who have 2 or 3 memberships can rent max 20 rentals each membership per year!
I'm sure some really have a need to do it few years due to health or bad circumstances .. and if they own a lot of points, they should not be stuck with them.. but others .. hmm..

Well new owner here so learning slowly. That been said, I had no problems booking 2 bedroom Beach club early September and cabins to end the trip. I guess December gets tricky .. BWV refurbishment gave us a hard time as we recently purchased the contract to book there and everything disappeared fall to January!

wow! so those who have 2 or 3 memberships can rent max 20 rentals each membership per year!
I'm sure some really have a need to do it few years due to health or bad circumstances .. and if they own a lot of points, they should not be stuck with them.. but others .. hmm..

Well new owner here so learning slowly. That been said, I had no problems booking 2 bedroom Beach club early September and cabins to end the trip. I guess December gets tricky .. BWV refurbishment gave us a hard time as we recently purchased the contract to book there and everything disappeared fall to January!
I think you will find this is why some renters put a 150 point minimum …

you can comply with the restriction and still burn up 3000 points, if need be.

the "get around that" is easy one contract in your name, the next in another family member etc....

Exactly...that is why even seeing multiple reservations for the same week by the same person on places like FB does not guarantee they are booked on the same membership...there could be one person in the family who oversees it.

Heck, I currently have 14 reservations booked in the next 12 months all in my own name...granted, its across multiple memberships because I don't always know 11 months in advance who is coming or when, so we book times when we may visit...

While I won't plan on renting any of them, I will hold them until I know I don't need them which is typically, a few months prior...which has the same impact...I have a reservation for a few hard to get rooms that disappeared right at 11 months.

I still believe that the 20 per membership rule was done because DVC's lawyers believed it was a safe number to use when defining "commercial purposes"....and that anything lower than that would cause a potential problem for them legally.

And, DVC is upping their game now with the change to OTU points going from $19 to $22...so they have a way to compete with members too.

Heck, I currently have 14 reservations booked in the next 12 months all in my own name...granted, its across multiple memberships because I don't always know 11 months in advance who is coming or when, so we book times when we may visit...
Now you've done it, you poked a hornets nest. LOL

What’s the problem, sour grapes cause someone else got a res you wanted and blaming it on “renters”? They own the points same as you and have same right to book.

What’s the problem, sour grapes cause someone else got a res you wanted and blaming it on “renters”? They own the points same as you and have same right to book.
They didn’t get the blue ribbon for last place this time. So yea

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter