You must be swift as the coursing river (as long as it's the Lazy River) - comments welcome

Getting some good advice in the Running Thread 2022 about HR zones - thanks to everyone for the responses! I was intrigued by the Karvonen formula so I'm putting my numbers here so I can find them later. For anyone else who wants to try it, this tool was a lot easier than doing the individual calculations like I started to.

(As a few people pointed out, my data is probably flawed because it's coming from my Apple Watch, but since that's also what I'm using for training, I figure it'll work okay. I'm also making guesses based on trends rather than just picking the highest highs and lowest lows, but again, close enough.)

Max HR: 200 bpm
Resting HR: 57
HR reserve: 143

Easy (60-75%): 142 - 164
Anaerobic threshold (85-90%): 178 - 185
Speedwork (90-100%): 185 - 200

ETA: I am reading Daniels' Running Formula and he has a slightly different categorization. I ballparked my numbers for personal reference:

Easy (65-79%): 149 - 170
M-pace (80-89%): 171 - 184
Threshold (88-92%): 182 - 188
Interval (95-100%): 192 - 200

Updated 7/19/22

Last edited:
I wanted to say hello since I live in Silver Spring, MD just north of the DC line. I run a lot on the unpaved trails in Rock Creek, going from the DC line southward. I used to road run/race, but I've switched over to trail racing over the past couple years.

Following your questions on The Running Thread, I wanted to add support to the "train slow to run fast" school of thought. I have been doing that for a number of years and leading up to my 25K trail race in April, it was working very nicely - my pace was getting noticeably faster for the same HR. Then just May 15, I got covid and that has done a number to my HR, so if you look at my training log, don't think my current paces are normal. :)

My next race is a 10K trail race on June 25 up in Seneca Creek State Park in MD. Because of covid, this is really going to just be for fun and a "holding pattern"...after that race, I'll start training for a 30K trail race in late fall.

Anyway, good to see someone here who is local to me. Good luck with your next training cycle!

Hello fellow DMVer! Ugh, your Covid experience makes me scared to get it, even though I've had all my shots. I hope your training bounces back quickly!

May 23-29, 2022
In which I put my new shoes (and, by accident, my physical therapy) to the test and try probably too hard
  • M/T: rest
  • W: PT + 3.05 mi, 33:21, 10:55 per mile, 159 bpm
  • T: strength training
  • F: 4.00+ mi, 44:46, 11:11 per mile, 151 bpm
  • S: karate
  • S: 10.01 mi, 1:44:40, 10:27 per mile, 174 bpm
Tuesday was a case study in why I should just suck it up and wake up early to exercise. Monday was a planned rest day; Tuesday I intended to run but woke up later than I intended. I thought I'd run after work but by the time after work happened, I decided I'd rather sit on the couch with my dog. It happens.

After Tuesday, I forced myself to get up extra early on Wednesday to go for a run before my PT appointment. I don't remember anything about this run, so I assume it was fine. PT seems to be going well - my physical therapist says my quads are starting to look a lot better and my feet are also slowly improving. For exercises, I get to do extra-fun things like single-leg squats and calf raises and lots of other balancing exercises now to help build stability. But I can see improvements in my knees hurting less!

On Friday I did manage to run in the afternoon, in part because my office closes early before holidays, a nice perk. This one felt pretty good; nothing exciting to report. (ETA: I stopped at the pet store to pick up some treats for my dog on the way home, and I accidentally hit Stop instead of Pause on my watch. So there's a few blocks that aren't included in the stats.)

For my weekend run, I wanted to test my new shoes more seriously and planned to take a longer run at a harder pace. The shoes passed. Did I pass? Questionable. Based on my recent forays into the deep, dark woods of HR zones, the pace was too fast. It didn't feel too bad at the time, but I did get that mild hangover feeling afterwards, maybe also as a result of a couple of miles running into the sun, which was pretty intense even before 9 a.m. when I was out there.

I also accidentally ran this session without my knee bands, which I had been using for longer runs even though I've been trying to run without them for shorter excursions. I just forgot. It definitely could have gone worse - my knee and hip were a bit achy, but I didn't feel at all like I needed to stop because of it. PT for the win!

Finally, I made a halfhearted attempt to practice fueling during this run. I used a PB&J bar from Trader Joe's because at 6:30 in the morning when I said to myself, "Hmm, it would probably be a good idea to have some food on this run," that's what I had. This also could have been worse, but next time I'd like to have something a little less dry. It was hard to chew because all the moisture in my body was sitting in a thin layer on top of my skin. I did have my two little 8-oz water bottles on my belt, but I ran out about a mile and a half before I got home, which also wasn't ideal. I feel like "It wasn't ideal, but I survived" was kind of the theme of this run.

Anyway, I still have a few more weeks before I officially start training for my September HM, so during that the rest of this in-between time I will be sticking to short and easy runs. Really!

Last edited:

May 30 - June 5, 2022
In which I pretend to be social
  • M: strength training, 101 bpm
  • T: 35 min swim, 151 bpm
  • W: 4.8 mi, 50:27, 10:30 per mile, 159 bpm
  • T: rest
  • F: 3.06 mi, 30:31, 9:57 per mile, 159 bpm
  • S: strength training, 137 bpm (+ ~50 min biking)
  • S: 3.27 mi, 30:41, 9:23 per mile, 165 bpm
On Wednesday I signed up for a social run to celebrate the women finishing the 1928 legacy tour. I'm always hoping to do social runs, but they're at 6:30, aka my dinner time, and I'm never sure what to do about that. Eat early?? Eat late??? And then I can't go because my brain is having a meltdown. But this seemed like a cool occasion so I had a light, early dinner and jogged to the meeting point (a hotel < a mile from me). It ended up being fun - I trailed at the back of the leading group, trying to take it easy, and ended up a little faster than I intended but I could still have a conversation, so I'm good with it. I'll probably try to make it to their regular runs more often.

After that slightly-faster-than-easy run, I apparently decided, screw pacing, I'm just gonna run how I feel. So my short Friday and Sunday runs were creeping up in speed, but I did still feel good and not like I was pushing myself at all. So...maybe it's fine? 🤷‍♀️ I had been doing better with taking it easy but I think I broke it 😬

Saturday would normally have been karate, but I was headed up to Baltimore for a friend's goodbye party before she moves to Nashville. So I did a short strength workout and then biked to my other friend's house so we could drive up together. So many hills! I wasn't really expecting transportation to be a workout but it kind of was.

In other news, last night my dishwasher, which had been limping along on its last legs, finally kicked the bucket. Annoyingly, I already have a new dishwasher, but I have yet to find someone who (a) can actually install it for (b) less than I paid for the dishwasher itself. So today I've been having *lots* of fun periodically washing as many dishes as will fit in my small drying rack. Ugh.

June 6 - 12, 2022
In which 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️🙄🤕😖
Wow I am glad that week is over.

On Monday I realized my library card was about to expire so I ran (literally) to the library to renew it. This was only remarkable because it was the first time I did runs on consecutive days in I don't remember how long. I felt a little tired, but otherwise it went okay. This is good because I will be doing much more back-to-back running starting next week.

It was good that I did my Tuesday workout in the morning, because when I took my dog for his lunchtime walk, a tree fell on me.
The tree that fell on me.jpg
I hesitate to use words like "fortunately" associated with a tree falling on me, because if I were fortunate the branch would have waited another three seconds before flinging itself to its death, and not hit me in the first place. But in the sense that it could have been worse, at least it hit the meaty part of my shoulder/neck rather than my head or other bones, or my dog. I had some minor scrapes and a couple of days of a very sore neck and shoulder but that was it.

I took Wednesday off to recover from the tree. I also happened to have a PT appointment that morning, so I used the opportunity to ask her about how to fix my shoulder (heat and moving it around did help).

On Friday, I felt good enough to go for a run. I got about 3/4 of a mile in and tripped over a slightly uneven bit of sidewalk, scraping both knees and, somehow, my thumb, ripping up my comfy black leggings, and destroying my phone in the process. I thought about continuing the run but decided discretion was the better part of valor and headed home to clean myself up.

Sunday had a lot going on and I finally managed not to injure myself any further. I had signed up for a social run followed by mimosas in the morning and an Irish dance-themed fitness class followed by beer in the afternoon, which honestly seemed like a fair way to cap off the week. The pace for the social run was pretty fast, but we stopped at a lot of lights so it wasn't too tiring. (I forgot to restart my workout app after we paused mid-run for a photo in front of the Pride mural, which is why everything is an estimate.) Between the run, the workout class, and the biking, my watch thinks I exercised for 153 minutes and burned 1,560 calories, which is a lot for a day without a long run.

So overall, last week was a bit of a mess, and that's just the training-related fiascos. Let's hope this week is better...

DC Half Marathon Training Plan

Next week I start officially training for the DC HM (Sept. 18). It's the same route as the National Women's HM that I ran in May, which as a bonus means I won't spend half an hour wandering around trying to find the start line this time.

My pie-in-the-sky goal for this race is to bump up to s2 for the WDW M (1:53:45, ~8:40 pace). While this is a pretty big jump from my previous PR (1:59:56), there are a few reasons I think it's at least within the realm of possibility:
  • I didn't train very well for that race. I was really only running consistently for 5-6 weeks beforehand, and even then I ran maybe 2-3 days a week. This time around I should be much better trained.
  • I also started off slow and then pushed too hard at the race. Because I arrived basically right at the start of the race, the first couple of miles were slow as I worked my way through the crowds, and then I tried too hard to make up for it. So if I can run at a more consistent pace, I should be better off.
However, there's also reason to think it's less likely:
  • The weather for my last race race was ideal: low-to-mid 50s, cloudy, not humid. In mid-September, this race is likely to be significantly warmer and more humid, although you never can tell. (One year it rained for basically all of September, so it could also be pouring. I'm not sure that's an improvement, though.)
  • The improvement in time from my previous PR (2:05:06) and this one is a little less than the gap between this one and the s2 cutoff. So percentage-wise, that's an even bigger difference.
So basically, the s2 goal might happen or it might not, which is okay. If that doesn't work out, I still want to stay below 2 hours, because now that I've done it, not doing it will make me a little sad.

BUT. I'm getting ahead of myself. I haven't even started my training plan yet. I plan to use Hal Higdon's Novice 2 plan with a couple of tweaks. Mostly, I'm a little twitchy about running 12 miles a week before the race, so I'm adding an extra week to take it down a notch. Here's my basic plan:

MTWTFSSTotal
1off3 mi easy3 mi easy3 mi easystrengthkarate4 mi LR13 mi
2off3 mi easy1 mi WU + 3 mi pace + 1 mi CD3 mi easystrengthkarate5 mi LR16 mi
3off3.5 mi easy4 mi easy3.5 mi easystrengthkarate6 mi LR17 mi
4off3.5 mi easy1 mi WU + 4 mi pace + 1 mi CD3.5 mi easystrengthkarate7 mi LR20 mi
5off4 mi easy4.5 mi easy3.5 mi easystrengthkarate8 mi LR + FF20 mi
6off4 mi easy1 mi WU + 4 mi pace + 1 mi CD3.5 mi easystrengthkarate5K16.6 mi
7off4 mi easy5 mi easy3.5 mi easystrengthkarate9 mi LR + FF21.5 mi
8off4 mi easy1 mi WU + 5 mi pace + 1 mi CD3.5 mi easystrengthkarate10 mi LR24.5 mi
9off4 mi easy5 mi easy4 mi easystrengthkarate10K19.2 mi
10off4 mi easy1 mi WU + 5 mi pace + 1 mi CD4 mi easystrengthkarate12 mi LR + FF27 mi
11off5 mi easy6 mi easy5 mi easystrengthkarate14 mi LR30 mi
12off5 mi easy1 mi WU + 5 mi pace + 1 mi CD5 mi easystrengthkarate8 mi LR25 mi
13off3 mi easy1 mi WU + 2 mi pace + 1 mi CD2 mi easy2 mi easy + stridesHM24.1 mi

Some of the Tuesday runs may be on Monday evening instead because that's when social runs are. Maybe I'll even switch the occasional easy week run to the Thursday track workout with the group if I'm feeling really adventurous. And of course, I'm sure some of this will change as I go because life.

A few questions for those of you who have more experience with training plans:
  • When you're doing training runs at race pace, do you add a warm-up? Do you include that in your prescribed mileage?
  • How/when do you incorporate strength training? Higdon has you take Monday and Friday off but I'm thinking of switching one of those to strength. I guess I could do T/T after the shorter runs as well, but I feel like I'm less likely to actually do it.
  • Should I be fueling as I get into longer runs? I've never really done that in the past but it might be good practice for the marathon. If so, any tips?
Chart updated 7/2 to add strength training and mileage for WU and CD for pace runs.
More changes 7/9: added mileage on easy weeks to balance WU/CD mileage; added fast finishes to easy weeks.

Last edited:
My pie-in-the-sky goal for this race is to bump up to s2 for the WDW M (1:53:45, ~8:40 pace).

Can you run a mile in under 7:20? That'll give you a pretty good indication of how realistic the goal is. I say that, but personally had a better race equivalency 5k, 10k, and HM time before I ran the equivalent mile time. So it's not 100% predictive, but for most is a good indicator. The matching 5k/10k times to a 1:53:45 are 24:45 and 51:22. But for someone who lacks the endurance (based on minimal training going into the last HM) the mile is going to be a good indicator of that raw speed you posses.

• When you're doing training runs at race pace, do you add a warm-up? Do you include that in your prescribed mileage?

Since the "pace" in this case is half marathon tempo, I would 100% suggest adding in a warm-up and cool-down. Something in the 10-15 min range for the WU and something in the 5-10 min range for the cool down. Something I write in my instructions:

The warm-ups are key for anything faster than "long run" pace which includes HM Tempo, Daniels T, and Tempo. Essentially, there are two main pathways for the body to use oxygen to produce energy. The aerobic pathway is mostly used in slower running. The closer you get to the point where it becomes harder to breathe (Ventilatory Threshold) the more you use the anaerobic pathway. The aerobic pathway is more efficient and faster at creating energy, whereas the body uses anaerobic when the aerobic can't keep up (because you're going too fast).

The most interesting part between the aerobic and anaerobic pathway is that even though the aerobic is used mostly during slow running it takes about 6 minutes of running before it can be used. This means for the first 6 minutes we're stuck with the slow, inefficient anaerobic pathway. So if you don't do a warm-up, and you're running faster than "long run" pace you push the anaerobic pathway too hard. This creates a deficit in energy within the first 6 minutes that becomes harder to overcome. As this deficit starts to catch up with you in later miles, it causes our running form to suffer. When we get closer to your first race we'll talk about a detailed warm-up routine done prior to the race which is extra important in races.

So for you, the EA, EB, and Long Run paces can all be started without doing any type of slow jog warm-up. I do dynamic stretching before all of my workouts and static stretching after my workouts. However, I don't like to make recommendations on stretching because the research I have read is that you're more likely to get hurt changing your stretching routine than if you did nothing/stayed the same.

It doesn't appear Higdon planned on WU/CD to be part of the total assigned mileage. So I would do the WU/CD in addition to what he assigned.

How/when do you incorporate strength training? Higdon has you take Monday and Friday off but I'm thinking of switching one of those to strength. I guess I could do T/T after the shorter runs as well, but I feel like I'm less likely to actually do it.

Higdon writes in the instructions:

"If you strength train, Tuesdays and Thursdays would be the best days to combine lifting with running. Usually it’s a good idea to run before you lift rather than the reverse."

I personally disagree with this sentiment. All advice I've read elsewhere is to put your strength training days (especially if they're leg centric) on the same day as hard runs. This keeps your easy days easy and your hard days hard, regardless of the discipline. In Higdon's advice above, he suggests doing Easy+Strength on Tues/Thurs with a hard run sandwiched on Wed. I personally see this as multiple Moderate/Hard days in a row. He would probably contest that this is doable because of the two off days on Mon/Fri.

I also agree that it would be best not to strength train on both of your off days. I personally like to see one day completely off for almost everyone (there are a few that can do 7 days per week of activities).

So looking at the plan, I would suggest strength training on Wed/Fri. I would do leg centric strength training on Fridays. Although that does depend some on how hard the karate classes are on the legs. Do you typically have residual fatigue from karate in your legs after about 24 hours? If you do, then I wouldn't do leg strength on Fridays and would instead do after the hard run on Wed. You could also consider an upper body strength routine on Saturdays in addition to the Karate class, but I wouldn't do leg centric the day before the long run.

• Should I be fueling as I get into longer runs? I've never really done that in the past but it might be good practice for the marathon. If so, any tips?

My advice is to start fueling once you pass 90 min in a training run. Any training run under 90 min, your normal eating routine should be sufficient. Once you get over 90 min, then you'll start to dip more into a place that's harder to recover from without fueling. Although it certainly can be done without.

As for a HM, fueling will play a role, but it's minor compared to several other factors (course elevation, race day temp, your training, your race pace relative to your fitness, etc.). But fueling during a HM is good practice for fueling during a marathon where it will play a more pivotal role.

Tips for fuel. Find something that you like. Lots of flavors, textures, consistencies, liquid/gel/solid, etc. So everyone is going to have a different preference. And you may find a mix of several products (not all at the same time but during the course of the run) is best for you. You don't have to choose a single product. Once you find what you like, make sure you're taking on board enough water to properly absorb the product. For most, that's going to be 2g carbs to 1 oz water. So if I eat a 25g carb gel, then I need 12.5 oz of water in and around the consumption of that gel to properly absorb it. You can't take in 12.5 oz of gatorade to absorb the 25g carb gel because 12.5 oz gatorade is already isotonic and contains carbs itself. Some products have different water absorption rates. Maurten gels are isotonic and require 0oz water to properly absorb. Maurten 320 is absorbed at 4.6g carbs per oz.

Once you find your products, and you're properly taking on board enough water, try and find your maximum tolerance level. Don't go above about 60g carbs per hour on days >90F or if the carb comes from a single source (simple vs complex). If you're taking in simple+complex, and it's under 90F, then don't go over about 90g carbs per hour. In my view, finding your maximum tolerance allows you to eliminate fueling as the reason for failure.

Also remember, any carbs consumed less than 15 min prior to the race can be considered in-race nutrition. So I personally like to drink a Maurten 320 (79g carbs) right before the race starts because I get that much further ahead.

As with everything, practice in training to find what works best for you, and then replicate that practiced method on race day.

Thank you, @DopeyBadger, this is so helpful!

Can you run a mile in under 7:20? That'll give you a pretty good indication of how realistic the goal is.
Maybe. I haven't run a mile for time in a long while, so I'm not sure. Could be interesting to try as part of one of my early runs though!

All advice I've read elsewhere is to put your strength training days (especially if they're leg centric) on the same day as hard runs. This keeps your easy days easy and your hard days hard, regardless of the discipline.
Good point, I hadn't thought about it that way. In general I wouldn't consider my strength workouts too difficult, but in combination with the run it might be a lot for a day that's supposed to be easy. I'll probably aim for Friday and maybe Wednesday as you suggest. It wouldn't be an issue to be a little sore going into karate, and afterwards I'm more likely to be a bit sore in the arms/shoulders so it wouldn't have too much of an impact on my LR.

Once you find what you like, make sure you're taking on board enough water to properly absorb the product. For most, that's going to be 2g carbs to 1 oz water. So if I eat a 25g carb gel, then I need 12.5 oz of water in and around the consumption of that gel to properly absorb it.
So if I have two of those gels during my run, I need 25 oz of water? Do you carry that much water with you on long runs? My running belt holds two 8-oz bottles so that's how much I normally have. (Although I have run out before so maybe I should carry more?)

So if I have two of those gels during my run, I need 25 oz of water? Do you carry that much water with you on long runs? My running belt holds two 8-oz bottles so that's how much I normally have. (Although I have run out before so maybe I should carry more?)

Let's use the following GU as an example:

1655473562495.png

It contains 23g of carbs. If you consume two of these, that would be 46g carbs. It takes approximately 23 oz of water to properly absorb this while running.

I consume about 96g carbs per hr, but that includes my 17oz Maurten 320 w/ 79g carbs right before the start. During my training runs, I usually do a 4.08 mile loop that includes me going past my house twice. Once to pick up liquid and once to drop it back off. I do these loops anywhere from 27 min to 37 min depending on the specifics of the training run. Each time I stop to pick up a bottle that contains about 18-24oz. So in an hour, I usually drink about 36-48oz of water. I am on the high side for both water consumption and carb consumption during races.

minus 15 min - Maurten 320 *Needs 0oz water to absorb b/c liquid based
45 min - Tailwind Concentrate *Needs ~11.0 oz of water to absorb (~1.5oz of water + 1 scoop of tailwind (25g carbs) plus an additional 11.0 oz of water)
60 min - Maurten Caff gel *Needs 0oz water to absorb b/c isotonic
75 min - Egel *Needs 18.5oz water to absorb (37g carb)
105 min - Tailwind Concentrate *Needs ~11.0 oz of water to absorb (~1.5oz of water + 1 scoop of tailwind (25g carbs) plus an additional 11.0 oz of water)
120 min - Maurten Caff gel *Needs 0oz water to absorb b/c isotonic
135 min - Egel *Needs 18.5oz water to absorb (37g carb)
165 min - Tailwind Concentrate *Needs ~11.0 oz of water to absorb (~1.5oz of water + 1 scoop of tailwind (25g carbs) plus an additional 11.0 oz of water)

So during my run, I need 33 oz of water for Tailwind and 37 oz of water for Egels (I need nothing for Maurten 320 or Maurten gels). So a total of 70oz of water minimally to absorb the carbs I consume that are not already isotonic. During a 2.5hr long training run I would drink a bottle at (32, 64, 96, and 128 min). So that's about 84oz of water give or take. I drink somewhat based on how thirsty I am in the process of running. So sometimes on the higher end, and sometimes on the lower end. But that's all to say I drink far far more than 16oz of water.

During a race, I aim for two water cups per aid station with the assumption they hold about 3oz per. I choose races that have a high aid station per mile ratio. The Madison M is 19 aid stations in 26.2 miles or 0.7 aid stations per mile. If I drink 6oz per aid station X 19 aid stations, then I'll consume about 114oz during the 3.25 hr race. So that's about 35 oz per hr. Compared to my training maximum of 84oz per 2.5hrs equaling 33.6 oz per hr. So about the same. One strategy I have used in the past, but don't these days as often, is carry a small water bottle in my hand that I would refill at aid stations as I ran past while pouring the water into the bottle. But during training runs, I stick to doing loops in my neighborhood so I can keep hitting my house.

You might consider a hydration vest. They have reservoirs and a tube-straw. You can get vests with various sized reservoirs so that you're carrying about as much liquid as you want.

I like that it keeps my hands free. For something like 1 L of water, you really don't notice the weight, as it's centered on your back and it's not so much weight. The vests usually have various pockets, so they can hold your phone, keys, gels, and so on. I also don't like to have to deal with stopping by aid stations for liquids, so this lets me go right by them. Easy to use for training runs, too.

Possible downsides: you need to dial in the fit because they are possible sources of chafing. I really haven't had a problem with this, and I wear racer-back tanks under mine with some Body Glide. You also have to clean the reservoir, which is a bit more annoying than cleaning a bottle.

If you're doing Disney races, another downside might be that vests cover your upper body - part of your costume.

You might consider a hydration vest. They have reservoirs and a tube-straw. You can get vests with various sized reservoirs so that you're carrying about as much liquid as you want.

I like that it keeps my hands free. For something like 1 L of water, you really don't notice the weight, as it's centered on your back and it's not so much weight. The vests usually have various pockets, so they can hold your phone, keys, gels, and so on. I also don't like to have to deal with stopping by aid stations for liquids, so this lets me go right by them. Easy to use for training runs, too.

Possible downsides: you need to dial in the fit because they are possible sources of chafing. I really haven't had a problem with this, and I wear racer-back tanks under mine with some Body Glide. You also have to clean the reservoir, which is a bit more annoying than cleaning a bottle.

If you're doing Disney races, another downside might be that vests cover your upper body - part of your costume.
Color me intrigued - what vest do you use?

Color me intrigued - what vest do you use?

I started out with a Camelbak vest that had a 1.5L reservoir. It's been long enough that they don't make it any more, but the updated version on Amazon is "Camelback women's Circuit Run Vest with 50oz Hydration Bladder". I really, really liked that vest.

I wanted a 2L vest for marathons, so I got a bigger Camelbak, but it was a unisex one that just never fit me right - too big.

When I started trail running seriously in 2020, I decided to get one that had an actual backpack space for things like a first aid kit. (Note - that first Camelbak vest has NO extra space for things except some front pockets.) I got the "Salomon Womens Advance Skin 8 Set Running Hydration Vest, Clematis Blue/Alloy, Large". I didn't buy a bladder because my Camelbak 1.5L bladder fit in it. It came with two 500mL soft flasks, so all told I can carry 2.5L of liquids. I LOVE this vest, but it's really probably overkill for road running.

I also recently went through trying to find a good hydration solution and settled on a Nathan belt. I'd recommend heading to REI in NE - they have a wide variety of belts and vests you can try on. Pacers will have a few as well, but not as many as REI.

June 13 - 19, 2022
In which we have visitors
  • M: mostly core workout
  • T: 4 mi, 43:59, 10:57 per mile, 156 bpm
  • W: rest
  • T: 3.1 mi, 33:51, 10:50 per mile, 159 bpm
  • F: rest
  • S: karate
  • S: rest
Monday I wanted something fairly light after my busy Sunday last week. I liked the workout I tried - it was a mix of core and Pilates and would probably work well at the end of a run. I added a little cardio as well.

On Tuesday I got a nice run in before my parents arrived in the afternoon. I also squeezed in a run on Thursday and karate on Saturday, but otherwise I didn't have much time for workouts. We did walk a lot though!

This week I start my HM training! Here's hoping everything goes smoothly and my knees hold up.

June 20 - 26, 2022
HM training week 1, 84 days until DC Half

In which two-and-a-half margaritas do not have a positive effect on my long run
  • M: yoga, 75 bpm
  • T: 3.08 mi, 33:14, 10:47 per mile, 157 bpm
  • W: 3.17 mi, 34:00, 10:43 per mile, 155 bpm + PT
  • T: 3.06 mi, 33:26, 10:54 per mile, 158 bpm
  • F: strength training (x2 upper and lower), 132 bpm
  • S: karate, 152 bpm + biking to and from dinner, ~7 mi and 145 bpm
  • S: 4.01 mi, 43:52, 10:55 per mile, 164 bpm
Weekly mileage: 13.32
Training time: 4:09:51 (not including PT or biking)

One week of HM training down, 12 to go.

Since I had Monday off, I figured I might as well do some movement, but I also wanted to give myself a rest, so I did a little bit of yoga (which can definitely be hard but isn't the way I usually do it, as you can see from my HR).

Tuesday through Thursday was the first time I ran on three consecutive days since...I have no idea. Possibly high school, though probably something a little more recent. But I managed to keep my pace and effort fairly consistent, which was good. I definitely felt more tired Thursday than Tuesday, but that could also have been because I donated blood Wednesday afternoon.

After feeling pretty tired during Thursday's run, I expected strength training to be more challenging, but I actually found it a nice change. I had to take a break between sets because my dog needed to go out, but otherwise it went well.

I did record my biking to and from dinner as a workout because I was curious about my HR. It was actually higher than I expected, and higher on the way back than on the way there even though it was cooler. Does alcohol raise your HR? 😅

This morning the sun was out and the humidity was creeping up, and my HR crept up with it. It's hard to beat the heat when I can't run until an hour and a half or so after I get up (have to walk the dog and give him his breakfast). Plus I got home late last night (for me, so like 10), and see above re: alcohol, so I can't be too surprised that this morning was more of an effort than usual. Then I went to the farmer's market and treated myself to a chocolate-almond croissant, as one does.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter