You Better Start Believing in Success Stories, You're in One! Nov. W.I.S.H Challenge

To all american participants - good luck on elections day. Vote. Brexit was widely reported that will loose according to polls but they didn't and they won with very little % so every vote count. Whatever your political views and choices are, if you can, do try to use your right to vote as it can make a difference.

Thank you for writing this! I know a lot of people are feeling hopeless with this election but it is important to vote. I didn't realize that the Brexit was suppose to lose, I guess it goes to show that anything is possible.

I am feeling a bit better today.
I am glad your feeling better today and I know it's early but WOOHOO for weight loss!!

In other words, I'm a runner that appreciates that it's a solitary sport and am rarely looking for someone to run with.
Could not agree more, it is definitely my me time!

So, I am back from a wonderful birthday weekend with my sister.
That is awesome! Happy belated Birthday! :bday:

Family really doesn't influence my efforts one way or the other... I consider all y'all (on the Texas tour we received instruction on how to use y'all correctly :)) as my weight-loss "crew" and there's certainly no mutiny going on here!

Wild and crazy football game last night - so much fun to watch. The analysts had predicted a low scoring game but the first touchdown came within the first few minutes, and from there the teams marched up and down the field every time they had the ball. It was great to be able to block out everything else that's been going on, even for a few hours.

And so grateful today it will finally all be over... kind of. At least "we the people" will have had our say in the matter. I don't think it is going to be as close as is being predicted and I cling to the idea that ultimate good is going to come out of all of this. I always do Hall of Presidents a couple times each trip (kind of a presidential geek), and was thinking about how it will be different the next time I go. I was reading a thread here on DIS yesterday that said the Hall will be closed for about 6 months because they are going to do refurbishment as well as suit up the new Pres.

Happy Tuesday everyone - and get out and VOTE! (At least those here in the USA).

upload_2016-11-8_8-7-7.png

While we wait to weigh anchor please take a moment to introduce yourself and let us know what you would like to discover on this voyage.

Hey all.... honestly.... I've introduced myself a million times! So bullet points this time....

*Pamela, age 52 (but in my mind I'm only 30!!!!)
*Mom of 2 adult college students (DD in her Sr. year and DS in his freshman year)
*Married 25 years next May
*Living in rural New Hampshire (New England, northeastern US for those not familiar).
*Lost my weight (this time around) with Weight Watchers (total of 86 pounds).... lost 40 in 2003 and managed to regain about half in late 2004 but maintained there for a while.... then hit it HARD starting 1/2/2008 and got to goal in 2009 and haven't looked back.
*I now work for WW as a Leader and a 24/7 expert chat coach. And believe it or not, even with that history, I still have things to discover along the way here!

What I'm hoping to discover (or re-discover, depending on how you think about it), a desire to exercise.... especially in the winter when I cannot use mowing the lawn or gardening or outdoor hiking as an exercise. That has been the part of this journey that I have fallen away from the most.

I do NOT plan to participate in the progress reports here this month. I will stick with the group and answer the QOTD and the reply to the chatter... but I am terrible at remembering to report in and as such I am skipping just that small portion of the month. That doesn't mean that I will not be "woohooing" if I lose the vacation pounds I'm still dragging around!:rolleyes1

AHOY!

I'm really looking forward to this month. While our Disney trip last week was on the less-than-magical side, taking a full week away from the shop and DH's jobs and most stress did SO much good. I was able to finish all open orders before we left, so I came home with nothing that HAD to be done right away. With coming home on Wednesday, but DH and I both taking off the full week, we were able to really get some sleep and get on a more regular schedule. Yesterday was DH's first day back at his day job, and today is his first day back at both jobs, so I'm hoping we can keep it up. We also came home to a bare pantry, so we were able to reset completely there, too. We hit the grocery store this weekend and Sunday was spent putting together some DIY lunchables, making protein smoothies, hard boiling eggs, making egg muffins, etc. I'm determined to make this stick!

We're going back to Disney on November 30, and literally coming home two days later. I'm so excited. I haven't seen the Christmas decorations in person since 1998 (I was 9!) and DH has never seen them. I can't think of a better way to bring in the holiday season. We're doing the dessert party for the Jingle Bell, Jingle BAM show at Hollywood Studios (really, who do they put in charge of naming this stuff now? Disney, hire me.)

Long Term Goal: Be down 60lbs, or be in size 10 clothing - whichever comes first.
This has been my goal for years now, and I really want to make it happen. I put my goal this way because I think a size 10 is where I would feel most comfortable - I truly can't imagine myself being any smaller than that. I think the 160's (so a 60lb loss) would put me in that size range, but I'm not 100% sure, as it's been so long since I was either number. At 199 I was a 14, so it's possible I could hit size 10 before I enter the 160's.

Shorter Term Goal: Be down 40lbs by April 22, 2017.
This puts me 10lbs below wedding weight, and in a good place physically going into MOH's May wedding. I've given myself the April 22 goal date because Dapper Day weekend is April 29 & 30, and I'm going to move forward as if we're going that weekend. I'd rather get to April and not be able to go but still be down some weight, rather than wait until I know for sure whether or not we can go and have to scramble or settle. Aiming for April 22 gives me a week to make any alterations to clothing if I need to. I know it will require a lot of dedication and pushing to come down 40lbs in just under 6 months, and honestly I am nervous that I'm setting myself up for failure, especially with winter approaching.

November Goal: Be down 7lbs by November 30, 2016.

I'm starting November with a weigh-in of 220.4lbs - up 1lb from when we left for Disney a week and a half ago, but considering all the yummy food I've eaten in the last 2 weeks, I'll take it! 7lbs seems like a lot, so I'm hoping I'm not biting off more than I can chew. A loss of 7lbs this month keeps me on track to lose 40 by April 22. After seeing our photos from last week's trip, I'll be happy for any weight loss at this point!

Plan: Low-carb/high-protein, more water, add in some cardio, TRACK!

Yesterday was a really good day, eating wise. The chocolate is still a thing but I'm not going to beat myself up over it at all. I need to start back tracking what I'm eating, though, as I started to get in my head because I *felt* like I was eating all day long - but since everything was high protein and low carb, I logically know I'll be eating more frequently throughout the day... it's just a matter of not psyching myself out and trying to prevent myself from eating just because I *feel* like I'm eating all the time. I enjoy the numbers game of tracking once I get back into the habit of it. It's just a matter of doing it.

I need to find some fun dance-style exercise videos on YouTube. I used to dance a lot when I was more involved with theatre, and I've always enjoyed it. I'm hoping doing it that way rather than forcing myself to make mindnumbing laps around the block or chaining myself to the treadmill will make me more likely to actually do cardio often and consistently. The weather is supposedly to fall to the 70's this week after record high 90-degree temps the last few weeks, so I'm really looking forward to it. I'm hoping that with the cooler temps, I can get DH and myself out the door for at least one mile walk in the mornings before he goes to work.

Obstacles: Me!

I don't think Thanksgiving will pose a big issue. It's just one day out of 30 days, and in thinking over the dishes we usually have at our families', there's nothing horrifically terrible. I'll need to watch my dressing and yam intake, but for the most part it's lots and lots of turkey. Perfect lean protein! Disney will be a couple of "free" days but since the amount of walking we'll be doing usually combats that, and after a month of eating better I don't think I'll be able to stomach as much junk, I'm not too worried about those 3 days.

Arrr, mateys! Let's swash some buckles!

WOW!! A SOLID plan!!! This is exactly what we were talking about in our meeting last week..... A WISH WITHOUT A PLAN IS JUST A DREAM!! This is impressive with some great shorter term goals along the way!

Ahoy Mateys!
I be lookin' ahead to joinin' ye fine vessel. May our stops be jolly 'n fruitful.
(http://postlikeapirate.com/)

I thought a lot about what I want my goals to be for this November over my lunch break. Since November is such a wonderful time of abundance- I try not to eliminate anything over this season. :) Instead- I add healthy items into my life instead.

I would like to eat 3 cups of greens, 3 cups of colored fruits/veggies and 3 cups of sulfur veggies a day...at least 80% of the week, which gives me at least one free day.

(This is from Terry Whals' Autoimmune Protocol. She has put her MS in remission. I have a couple of autoimmune conditions that I would like to heal a bit)

I'd also like to eat or drink ferments daily. I've tried to make this a habit before, but so far have not been successful. :)

Have you ever read "Curing the Incurable"? It is a book about curing allegedly "incurable" autoimmune diseases. Love your colorful graphics!

Hi everyone! I am Magdalene and as I said earlier, I will jump ship onto the Disney Fantasy later this month. But I am determined to make the time until then count. My vacation in total will be 3.5 weeks long and I definitely cannot allow myself to go totally off the charted course if I do not want to have a total shipwreck on the scale afterwards. I always find it easier to at least try to keep up a routine during vacation if I had a routine before. So, the first part of November will be used for exactly that: keeping up tracking, eating healthy and exercising. Last month I had an exercise goal and I will stick with that. I made myself an exercise schedule (put it all into my phone calendar including daily reminders) and intend to keep to it. 100% will be doing all the scheduled exercises up until I leave for vacation. Any additional exercise after I have left will be added as bonus percentage.

Big obstacle for the month is my birthday next Sunday. I will be visiting my sister in Berlin for a long weekend and we have a lot of celebratory things planned, including a high tea at a fancy hotel! But the good thing is that I got my sister and her husband into running now as well and I am already looking forward to go running with them on the former airfield of the airport Tempelhof (one of the three airports used for the Berlin airlift during the Cold War when all the roads into West Berlin were closed by the Soviets and West Berlin had to get all its supplies via air).

WOW.... us U.S. folks are ENVIOUS of that long vacation! Many people have to work here for a company for YEARS before getting that much vacation time!! And that airfield run.... I love history and I'm so envious!

Ahoy, mateys! I'm Shantelle and I've been wanting to sign up for a challenge for a while but I am IN this month. Thinking about goals sure is hard though! Sooo here's what I've got:

1. No fast food - we're doing no-spend November so this should coincide (and go well) anyway!
2. Do a 2.5m walk-run 4x/week and, when possible, a shorter walk the other 3 days (though we had to skip tonight due to a sick husband :guilty:)
3. Yoga 1x/week
4. Meet my water goal (at least 64 oz/day)

I'm know this is attainable so I'm hoping to overcome my biggest obstacle: ME! :idea: Good luck everyone!

Welcome aboard! Glad to have a new face!

Pirates was Walt's last project in a long line of great accomplishments in his life. Do you have any great accomplishments that you are working towards? A while back the big thing was bucket lists, do you have one? and if so would you mind sharing somethings on it? Is where you are at in your lifestyle change affecting those things for better or worse?

Well.... honestly my greatest achievements/accomplishments are raising two outstanding kids! They are bright (got that from DH), and HAPPY and well-adjusted (as much as anyone can be in this day and age), and hardworking, loving, thoughtful... obviously as a Mom I could go on and on.... but I'll spare you! :rotfl:

My SECOND greatest achievement would definitely be KEEPING OFF THE WEIGHT for over 7 years. I am PROUD to say that I am NOT TYPICAL and I plan to stay that way! I specifically say "keeping the weight off" rather than losing the weight because I lost it more than once (1979, 1985, 1991, 1994, 2003 most specifically).... but it was maintaining the loss that was the biggest accomplishment.

Bucket list.... yup.... got one. I currently have a "60 before 60" bucket list that includes AT LEAST the top three travel dreams I've had.... Austria, Paris, and South Dakota (specific reason). While I would LOVE to just travel, travel, travel, I married a "homebody" and with two college tuitions still being paid, the funds are lacking. But I have a PLAN!!!!! (Europe fall 2017 with DD... but ssshh... we haven't told DH yet!)

My lifestyle/weight loss DEFINITELY positively impacts my bucket list.... I am so much more willing to get out there and GO places and DO things!!

I guess the biggest things I am working towards is getting back to my pre-pregnancy (if you can still call it that. She is 9) from my daughter. It has been a long battle of gain some lose some gain a little bit more lose that and gain more again. I am doing better this time. This is the most I have lost and though I have not been great with it I am not gaining.

Other then this I would say trying to be a good mom and wife while working full time. I don't always feel like I am doing a good job at either. It is the times that I feel other parents have it all together and I feel like I am sinking. I guess I have been feeling like this lately. I more in less need to get out of my head.

I have never made a bucket list. I am pretty boring. I love zoos and would love to make to more. Unfortunately my husband hates them. I will make it to the San Diego zoo. I have wanted to go since I was little. I also want to go to Disneyland. Another place my husband does not want to go. I will make him at some point. He never wanted to go to WDW either. It took my dad taking us for him to go. The minute we stepped on Main Street he said we would be back. We have now gone 4 times in about 4 years. I have always wanted to go to Italy too but my fears hold me back from this one.

+++++++++

Well, I did a lot of sitting around today. I should have taking my daughter for a walk since she only had pink eye but I decided to catch up on TV. I am glad my daughter was home today. I got an automated phone call from her school today. They had to do a reverse lock down today. The was a huge house fire not far from the school and they had ammunition that got heated up and started going off. This happened at the time my daughter would be at lunch and the 3rd grades were outside at recess (it was 76 here today). She would have been in the middle of the commotion and I know she would been scared. I am glad I kept her home.

Tonight I am watching the World Series and it is not going good. At one time my Cleveland Indians were losing 7-0. That was at the 3rd. We are now in the 8th inning and we are still losing 7-2. It is stressing me out. I have been eating to stay awake and because of the stress. At least I have need eating veggies with dip but not that much dip. It looks like we will play the 7th and final game tomorrow. It will be a must win.

I was also told about an adult hip hop class I can take at the place my daughter is taking dance. I am thinking of taking it. It will all depend on if we can afford it and if I get over the rear of being on stage in front of a huge audience. We will see.

Glad your DD was home safe with you! I'm sure that the school did everything possible to be sure the kiddos were calm and safe, but as a Mom I know there is NOTHING like having them within arms reach!

Why are you afraid of Italy???

This is a pretty timely question for me. My personality is such where I get fixated on certain goals or tasks and I'm "all in" until I complete them. The week when football ends is always one of the toughest for me, because I spend so much time working on it and all of the sudden it stops - and I don't know what to fixate on after. Last year we played until Thanksgiving and my family had our Disney trip in December, then it was all about weight loss for the months after... then the running started and I hit the 5k goal, the 10k goal, then it was the 1/2 marathon goal. I've been wrapped up with something over the last 16 months and right now I got nothing. I need something - a new bucket list task or some sort of goal to work for now... I just don't know what that is yet.

I ended up running last night for the first time in 16 days. I thought I was doing ok, but my run tracker thought otherwise. I felt like I was going much faster than I was. Not a big deal, it will take a little bit of time to get back into it. The scale seemed to think running was a good thing - dropped a few lb's on this morning's weigh-in.

I am RIGHT THERE with you on getting fixated! I think that has had some part in why it took me so many attempts to keep the weight off! The "goal" date (wedding day, vacation, etc) that I always lost weight for would come and go and I would have absolutely NO PLAN on how to keep going with my weight loss/weight maintenance after the event! So yes, add a new goal!!!

Today's Question: How do you use music in your day? Do you find listening to music motivating? Or maybe relaxing?

And one for fun: Do you have a guilty pleasure song that you like to play when no one is around? Care to share what it is?

I'm not big into music.... I did like to listen when I was a runner and I still get pumped up when I hear songs from my running playlists. But I can tend to get to "into my own brain" if given the chance so podcasts work better for me most of the time (when I'm doing rather mindless things like walking, running, or driving). I mostly listen to NPR shows. If I listen to Disney podcasts I just end up sad that I don't have a trip planned. I do often listen to music when my mind is otherwise occupied, like when I'm cooking.

No particular guilty pleasure..... but I will listen to pretty much ANY Disney music at the drop of a hat.... theme park songs, ride songs, movie songs.... and I sing along, loud and proud!:thumbsup2

Elizabeth Swann- The governor's daughter. She has always dreamed of pirates and adventure despite her father's disapproval. He is determined to keep her a proper lady. Elizabeth keeps a pirate medallion hidden away, a small sign of the life she longs for.

Well..... I do keep a few jars of foreign currency on my dresser.... a small sign of the life of travel that I long for. Since DH is a bit "disapproving", at the moment is is more a dream than a plan.... but I'm working on it!!

William Turner- Orphaned at a young age, Will seems to always do what he is told. He was taken in by a blacksmith and takes pride in everything he does. Even when he doesn't get the recognition he deserves. He obviously has a crush on Elizabeth but is a gentleman. He knows that she is "above" him and so would never act upon it.

I am a HUGE rule follower! Don't ever try to play a boardgame with me and cheat.... I will go nutty! My rule-following tendencies have served me well with regards to my weight loss. I do have certain RULES for myself that help keep my life and weight maintenance journey ON TRACK. For example.... I never, ever indulge in the office chocolates at work. I just KNOW that having one would give me permission to have another... and another... and another. So my personal rule is NONE... not ever... for no reason.

Jack Sparrow (there should be a captain in there somewhere)- A free spirited pirate. He does whatever he wants whenever he wants. Jack is always getting into trouble but somehow manages to get away. Despite his selfish ways he does manage to do the right thing when it counts.

Free spirit..... not a lot of that in me. I was brought up that there are rules to be followed and unfortunately some of those "rules" kept me from being more adventurous in my life at a time when that would have been great. I was taught to get an education, a job, a home, and a spouse. No time for "finding myself" or "having adventures" or being a "little irresponsible". You didn't just go someplace because it sounds like fun.... because that costs money and that isn't responsible. But I'm learning that LIFE IS SHORT and it is finally time to start having those adventures!!

Expand the quote to see all of my answers.

Are you still searching for the answer to a healthier you? For those of you that have found it what was your final piece of Aztec gold? Any advice that you would give to others that are still looking?

I'm definitely still searching for a healthier me! Kombucha.... worth the sugar or just hype? Kale smoothies.... yummy or just "green"?

I definitely have advice to offer when asked.... but sometimes I'm afraid to scare people away. That being said.... I tell my WW members that if they could just spend ONE DAY at their healthy goal weight, they would definitely NEVER give up. Life at goal weight is beyond wonderful.... even on the crappy days!

Hi friends,

Sorry I have been MIA - I have been reading posts and liking them when I have a chance :-) Things have been pretty busy with work, and kids and I to honest I have just been struggling a bit feeling sick with a cold of some kind - yesterday I had a killer headache that wouldn't go away and by last night it bought me to tears and just hohum in general about my health and the lack of progress made this year. I have tried a couple of times to post but my computer didn't cooperate each time and it just got too hard >:( I also kind of took this as a sign as I have been struggling a bit to come up with my goal for the month. So I will jump back in where we are now.

Goals for the month

1. To continue with trying to minimise the really junky take-out foods - so that's 48 times left in the month I need to make good choices.
2. To restart some activity 2 times per week - hopefully this will look like 1 day walking and 1 day paddling.

I think this question sums up much of what I already said - I am still searching for the answer to a healthier me ... Some days I just feel as far away from it as ever and that is scary - I went to buy some shirts for work today and its just heart crushing - I bought a size 20 top and an XL top and that's Aussie sizing - I just looked up a size conversion between here and the US and apparently that is equivalent to a US size 16 :confused3. I feel like I have been making a half a step forward and 3 backwards all year. The trouble is I know the secret is mainly down to ME and my choices and effort - so no matter how much I say I want it I clearly haven't really wanted it bad enough yet to have made enough of a change to see results.

Thanks for listening :worried:

Oh and I just wanted to say to @HappyGrape - if that is the new 'Park' dress you bought - its soooo cute love it and love that pic - thanks for sharing :D[/USER]

KEEP searching.... never give up.... and remember that we are always here to "listen"!! :grouphug:

QOTD - well, I haven't found the magic yet, so I guess I'm still searching! This week has been both ends of the spectrum, food wise. TTotM really throws a wrench in my plans. Plus DH's schedule doesn't help. We did great toward the beginning of the week, but once we started running out of the healthy prepared meals toward the end of the week, our eating got way off. Too much fast food. Ugh. Have to find a way to keep costs low but get enough food for the both of us to make it through at least a whole week, if not two. I'm not sure what to do there. :-( it's really discouraging how much money we spent at the grocery store last weekend and how far it got us (not even a full week)...

I ordered my dapper day dress today so I can use it as a visual. Disneylands dapper day is this weekend and my Instagram feed has been full of amazing costumes, and I'm so so jealous. Also, the weather here is getting much better, so I was able to wear a cute new sweatshirt this morning finally. I took this photo in it, which I love because it makes me look NOT-220 pounds, but I also hate it because I know it's a lie, haha.

This is the problem my DH and I run into. Do we eat healthy, or do we keep it affordable? Especially with our diets being more protein-heavy, we spend $100+ a week on groceries - usually closer to $150. We can't afford it. We skipped grapes today at the grocery store because the smallest bag of non-organic grapes were $7.50, and that's just so much for GRAPES. Our grocery stores are SO expensive, and coupons only cover the cheap processed junk food. It's not like we shop at Whole Foods, either - I'm talking Kroger here, y'all. We unfortunately don't live somewhere that we could grow our own produce to help alleviate that cost, and because of that, and because of the fact that the majority of people here are on food stamps and just care about eating, not really eating healthy, our grocery stores jack up the prices of everything even remotely not-junky. It is so, so hard to do here.

I combined your two posts.... hope that is okay. It sounds like you answer your own question to some degree.... you did GREAT at the start of the week when you had the healthy stuff ready to go.... but fell away as the week went by and the healthy stuff started to run out.

I'll make a few suggestions and then I'll step off my soapbox (btw, I know where you are coming from... I definitely am always caught between "affordable" and "healthy/diet appropriate").....

eat seasonally. Right now that would be apples, winter squashes, broccoli, cauliflower, and coming up soon citrus fruits. Maybe it doesn't all grow local to you, but it is all in season somewhere in the U.S. and will be more affordable than the stuff coming from South America. The exception to that is BANANAS.... they are always in season and affordable (although possibly too many carbs for you).

Frozen fruit.... I eat berries almost daily, but most of the year they are frozen, not fresh.

Make life easier by keeping the meals (and meal planning) simple and by cooking more than one meal at a time. When I make soup, I make a double or triple batch. It only takes a wee bit longer than making a single batch. The freezer is my friend! When I roast veggies I roast enough for dinner and to add to a sandwich or to have for lunch the next day. When I hardboil eggs I do a dozen at a time. When I peel/cut carrots or celery for snacking I do the whole bag at once. When I make quinoa I usually make a double batch.

Think outside the box.... lunch doesn't always have to look like a sandwich, chips, and a drink. Sometimes lunch is a 1/4 c of black beans topped with salsa plus a cheese stick and an apple. Dinner is sometimes a "snack plate" of a sliced hardboiled egg (or egg white), diced cheese (or a lowfat cheese stick), sliced apple, carrots or celery and hummus and a piece of low carb flatbread shmeared with PB2. If nicely plated (as opposed to eaten while standing staring into the fridge) it can be a nice meal. Eggs are great ANY TIME of day....meals, snacks, etc.

Don't be afraid to stick to some basic reasonably priced meals and repeat them often (assuming you like the meal).

UNIT PRICES.... check them on everything you buy and keep track so you KNOW when you find a good price.

Look around for cheaper alternatives to foods you like. We enjoy rotisserie chickens but not the price tag. We have found that the hot chickens at Costco are HUGE compared to the ones they sell at the local grocery store.... but I can also buy the local grocery store rotisserie chickens cold the next day for a lower price.... worth it to warm up myself! Apples by the bag instead of selected individually can save me anywhere from 9-15 cents/lb. Whole celery is easy to chop/wash for snacking pieces and then I have the base to regrow (yes, that actually works) and the leaves to make into vegetable stock..... plus it is cheaper than buying the precut/prewashed celery sticks. Popcorn popped in the microwave in a brown lunch bag is waaaaayyy cheaper than microwave popcorn packets.

Don't waste ANYTHING! If the apples haven't been eaten quickly enough, make applesauce. If the green beans got a little limp before you could cook/eat them, throw them into a stir-fry or save them to make vegetable stock. Other than burnt foods (yup.... I burned my oatmeal this morning:sad2:) we don't waste anything. If it is "food" we eat it, if it is "waste" (peels, cores) we either compost them, feed them to our worms, or make stock with it. If it is a small portion (not enough for a whole meal) it goes into the freezer or gets combined with other leftovers for brownbag lunch. Water is free.

YOU CAN DO THIS!! Yes, it is hard and YES there are times when I run out of "money" before I run out of "month". Fast food is nearly ALWAYS a worse choice ..... more unhealthy and more expensive.... even when eating off the dollar menu!

Stepping down now.... and offering :hug: to you my friend!!

At the start of the movie Will seemly despises pirates. Now to save his love he needs to become one. So my question for you is: Looking back on your journey to a healthier you, is there something you're doing now that you never thought you would?

When I was running that was definitely one of those "NEVER IMAGINED" kind of things.... and becoming a WW leader is another! ME?? Stand up in front of people and TALK? About being a weight loss success story?? NO WAAYYYY!!:goodvibes

I'm going to also say running! I hated running with a passion in school. It made me miserable. And throughout the years I've tried to pick it back up again (always with a running partner) and still just hated it. Then 2 years ago I decided that I wanted to give it another shot. But I mostly ran by myself. And that's when I started to love it! I took it at my own pace, didn't care about timing or what place I was in. I just ran and pushed myself at a pace that I was comfortable with. That has helped me tremendously. In other words, I'm a runner that appreciates that it's a solitary sport and am rarely looking for someone to run with.___

So I'm trying to apply the WW mentality of "0 point" foods to MFP. Because I still feel that WW restricts me on too many things that I enjoy (like peanut butter!!!) but I'm not able to be successful on MFP for whatever reason and I think it's because I don't have that push to eat fruits and veggies. So, I've taken down my calorie goal to 1200 a day and then any fruits or veggies that would be 0 points on WW are not tracked. I'm going to see how a week at this goes. I'm so desperate to clean up my eating and lose some weight!

Hope this new "plan" works for you!!

Hey all.... look at that! I'm nearly caught up!!! I was going to head out earlier today to vote and then run errands before my WW meeting tonight, but instead I am sitting here playing catch up! Oh well. I WILL vote... but probably on my way to my meeting.... mid-afternoon the lines shouldn't be too bad, right??

PHEW..... feels GOOD to be back in the swing of things with you all!!................P

Question for fun-
What is the craziest weight loss thing you have tried that didn't really work?

100 days of no added sugar was the hardest to get over. It was easy to maintain until I went on vacation and there was no turning back after - it left me feeling as failure and faulty

but crazy things...
Slimfast - like day and half
Atkins - 3 days
Fruit only diet - 800g of fruit. Five days

That was 13 years ago! I quickly figured out this type of thing don't work for me.

My family is very supportive. In fact just last night I was doing a Pilates DVD for the first time ever and as I would tire out at the end of each exercise, my 9 year old would say "keep going, you can do it"! My DH is supportive of my running and anything I want to eat/cook basically. He has no issues watching the kids while I run or go away for the weekend. My mom comes with me on my rundisney runs as do my kids. I really have no excuses!

My craziest thing was some diet that you're supposed to do before surgery...it involved cabbage soup, tuna fish (dry) on toast and beets which I hate. It was only for 3 days and I did lose weight but it was awful!

Yesterday was a pretty good day for me. I ate decently. We had a yummy blue apron dinner I was happy with. I did a 30 minute pilates DVD and some other hip and glue exercises I needed to do. I was only around 8000 steps but I'm still happy with that. I mailed in my ballot last week so I have voted! I'm very interested in our local elections more so than the "big" one. Planning on running on my lunch today!

Family really doesn't influence my efforts one way or the other... I consider all y'all (on the Texas tour we received instruction on how to use y'all correctly :)) as my weight-loss "crew" and there's certainly no mutiny going on here!

Wild and crazy football game last night - so much fun to watch. The analysts had predicted a low scoring game but the first touchdown came within the first few minutes, and from there the teams marched up and down the field every time they had the ball. It was great to be able to block out everything else that's been going on, even for a few hours.

And so grateful today it will finally all be over... kind of. At least "we the people" will have had our say in the matter. I don't think it is going to be as close as is being predicted and I cling to the idea that ultimate good is going to come out of all of this. I always do Hall of Presidents a couple times each trip (kind of a presidential geek), and was thinking about how it will be different the next time I go. I was reading a thread here on DIS yesterday that said the Hall will be closed for about 6 months because they are going to do refurbishment as well as suit up the new Pres.

Happy Tuesday everyone - and get out and VOTE! (At least those here in the USA).

View attachment 205668

That football game was great. I only saw the few minutes before the half. That was just crazy.

Hall of Presidents is one of my favorites too. I only went to Disney once as a child and that is one of the few rides/shows I remember. When I went back almost 30 years later I told my husband I had to see. We have only watched it on 2 of our 4 trips but that was not my choice. I love history and I love looking up stuff on the presidents.

Why are you afraid of Italy???

My great grandparents on my mom's side (her dad's side) came over on the boat when they were kids. I think my great grandmother was a baby and came over earlier then my great grandfather. I think he was around 10. My mom's cousin has do a history of it. My grandfather's last name changed at some point. They still spoke Italian at times and I remember their accents were pretty thick. They both passed away when I was in high school. Almost exactly a year from each other. My great grandma from Alzheimer's and my great grandfather from cancer. They were both in their upper 80- early 90's.

My family is mostly supportive. My mom is still my mom and tells me what i should be doing and would workout with me but we are not quite close enough to do that. We are only a few towns apart but no real good place to meet in between. My husband is pretty good at being supportive since he needs to lose weight too. There are days though that he will get mad if I say I am going to the rec after work. He is supportive as long as it does not interfere with him. We are working on this. My daughter tries to be supportive. Yesterday she told me I look skinnier to her. I needed that yesterday. However she gets very upset if I leave to go work out or if I get home late. It is just her. She is super attached to me so she is not trying to not be supportive. My son well as long as he gets to play his video games he really doesn't care. He will be my walking partner every once in a while just so he can play Pokemon.

I have never tried anything crazy. It has always been the good old fashion eat right and exercise.

Oh my gosh, I feel so behind. LOL. I have lots to read. I wonder if I could catch up reading on the plane this Friday.... as I'm flying to DISNEYLAND!
For the HALF MARATHON.
Oh my gosh. I'm not sure if I'm excited or terrified.... probably both.

I realized a couple things this week...I should have figured out how to carb load in a paleo-friendly matter BEFORE a week prior of the race. I ate quite a bit of rice yesterday and it didn't seem to disrupt my sleep. So my plan is to eat rice and sweet potatoes a lot this week- and drink a ton of water.

I hope that everyone is doing well.

I'm not quite sure how to measure my percentage of success... I started green smoothies and did them all week- so that was a huge success. It's SUCH an easy way to get in three cups of green leaves and colored fruits/veggies. So two different 100% with that.... but pretty much only like 20% on my sulfur veggies. And I only walked about 8 miles last week, but that was part of my training program...so I would give myself 100% on that.

So according to ridiculous spreadsheet to keep track of this- I'm at 25% of my goal for this month.

I really really hope to catch up on everyone!! I think life will settle down post-half marathon.

What about the people in your life are they a mutinous crew when it comes to your journey or are they always right there ready to help when you need it?

Question for fun-
What is the craziest weight loss thing you have tried that didn't really work?

DD is the first one that comes to mind when I think about who has been RIGHT THERE..... encouraging even when I thought about giving up (which of course I did on a regular basis).... wise beyond her years and my best cheerleader!! Second thought is my Mom.... always offering a bit of healthy eating advise, asking what I needed to be successful (like when we are visiting or on vacation with them) and a great cheerleader/supporter.

DH and DS are mutinous, but rarely intentionally..... more just making things difficult (by bringing things into my path without thinking about how hard it will be for me to NOT eat them.... pizza, ice cream, burger/fries, movie theater popcorn, cookie dough). Others in my life are mutinous but probably without realizing it.... by doing things like trying to tell me "just have one" or "take a break, it's a holiday" or "you can't be good all the time" or "what will it hurt?". You know what it will hurt???? ME and my determination and motivation. And you are RIGHT.... I can't be "good" all the time.... but I will choose when/where to splurge.... not you!!

FUN QOTD: Craziest diet was probably my self-created "Survivor diet"..... brown rice, fruits and veggies only....... I won't tell the other details because they make me sound insane!!:rolleyes1 Also done Slimfast (until I realized that I could eat REAL food for those same 200 calories!!), cabbage soup (unbearable after day 2), Phase 1 Atkins (FRUIT..... how I missed fruit!! But dang, you do lose weight!), juice fast (hungry all the time and peeing constantly!).... and probably more that I cannot remember.

My great grandparents on my mom's side (her dad's side) came over on the boat when they were kids. I think my great grandmother was a baby and came over earlier then my great grandfather. I think he was around 10. My mom's cousin has do a history of it. My grandfather's last name changed at some point. They still spoke Italian at times and I remember their accents were pretty thick. They both passed away when I was in high school. Almost exactly a year from each other. My great grandma from Alzheimer's and my great grandfather from cancer. They were both in their upper 80- early 90's.

Still doesn't explain why you are afraid of Italy..... or are you just afraid of the COST? Or are you leary of traveling to a foreign country where you don't speak the language? As much as I am beyond excited about the possibility of traveling to Europe, I am concerned about communication issues.

Caught up here, dressed for work tonight, and ready to head out soon to vote on my way to work. BB tomorrow to chat.............P

Still doesn't explain why you are afraid of Italy..... or are you just afraid of the COST? Or are you leary of traveling to a foreign country where you don't speak the language? As much as I am beyond excited about the possibility of traveling to Europe, I am concerned about communication issues.

it is a fear of flying, cost, food and language. The biggest fear is I guess more unrealistic. You hear so much of attacks that happen in other countries and the fear that one could happen while I am there scares me. I know it can happen here too but I just feel safer in a place that I know I guess. There are areas around the states that scare me too. (DC, NYC, Vegas). I still want to go to the places but they will never be on the top of the list and I will always try to go somewhere else. My husband and kids will be the ones that will get me to go to a place that scares me. Especially my daughter. I try not to show her my fears and will do a lot that I never would have done. She feeds off of me and won't try stuff unless i do. This is how I have ended up on all the rides at Disney. I hate big drops and roller coasters. I will not go on Space Mountain again and faked being sick in June to avoid it. I tried once and hated it. I tried everest twice and hated both times will not go on it again. but I tried them for her. My son really wants to go to Germany. I am guessing at some point I will suck it up and travel more. I am slowly getting over the fear of flying. I have talked about flying to Disney and I really want to do to Disneyland.

So, had a healthy dinner and did my workout DVD. I am doing Jillian Michael's Body Revolution. Some years ago everyone here on the WISH board seemed to talk about it and since I had some of her other DVDs I decided to get the set. It is supposed to be a 12 week set with a to of different exercise programs that get more demanding every two weeks. I am only following it loosely, meaning that I don't do her workouts (two different toning/strength workouts and one cardio workout) 6 days a week. I stopped doing the cardio and instead do my runs. And I fit the other workouts around my running. However, I do every workout routine 4 times as it would be following her program and the get on to the new one. Today I started weeks 5 and 6. And of course the workout was just crazy difficult. Also, because that's the way the day went I had dinner before working out and I felt quite sick for the first ten minutes. BUT I got through it and now feel great that I did it!! Tomorrow is a running day and then on Thursday I get to try out the other new program. I wonder what other nasty stuff is hiding in there! I have done the whole set up to weeks 7 and 8 before (never finished it and am not sure if I will get to the level required for the last four weeks that soon), but that is a long time ago. I intend to pick it back up after vacation, but I guess I will have to drop down again one level or so... Anyway, feeling excited about getting stronger!

@pjlla How exciting that you are planning on Europe!! Let me know if you have any questions, I can definitely help! Especially with Austria, which is really not far from where I live.

Did a $$ breakdown and wowza..... between tuition payments and real life, I'll be hard pressed to come up with an extra $500/month for the next year! But I am determined to make this happen while DD has the time ! I will definitely be in touch when we get to a real planning stage!!

it is a fear of flying, cost, food and language. The biggest fear is I guess more unrealistic. You hear so much of attacks that happen in other countries and the fear that one could happen while I am there scares me. I know it can happen here too but I just feel safer in a place that I know I guess. There are areas around the states that scare me too. (DC, NYC, Vegas). I still want to go to the places but they will never be on the top of the list and I will always try to go somewhere else. My husband and kids will be the ones that will get me to go to a place that scares me. Especially my daughter. I try not to show her my fears and will do a lot that I never would have done. She feeds off of me and won't try stuff unless i do. This is how I have ended up on all the rides at Disney. I hate big drops and roller coasters. I will not go on Space Mountain again and faked being sick in June to avoid it. I tried once and hated it. I tried everest twice and hated both times will not go on it again. but I tried them for her. My son really wants to go to Germany. I am guessing at some point I will suck it up and travel more. I am slowly getting over the fear of flying. I have talked about flying to Disney and I really want to do to Disneyland.

I'm sorry.... I didn't mean to call you out and face your fears here in public. I guess I pushed a little too hard. But all of those fears are real and not unfounded.

So, had a healthy dinner and did my workout DVD. I am doing Jillian Michael's Body Revolution. Some years ago everyone here on the WISH board seemed to talk about it and since I had some of her other DVDs I decided to get the set. It is supposed to be a 12 week set with a to of different exercise programs that get more demanding every two weeks. I am only following it loosely, meaning that I don't do her workouts (two different toning/strength workouts and one cardio workout) 6 days a week. I stopped doing the cardio and instead do my runs. And I fit the other workouts around my running. However, I do every workout routine 4 times as it would be following her program and the get on to the new one. Today I started weeks 5 and 6. And of course the workout was just crazy difficult. Also, because that's the way the day went I had dinner before working out and I felt quite sick for the first ten minutes. BUT I got through it and now feel great that I did it!! Tomorrow is a running day and then on Thursday I get to try out the other new program. I wonder what other nasty stuff is hiding in there! I have done the whole set up to weeks 7 and 8 before (never finished it and am not sure if I will get to the level required for the last four weeks that soon), but that is a long time ago. I intend to pick it back up after vacation, but I guess I will have to drop down again one level or so... Anyway, feeling excited about getting stronger!

I've still got my JM dvds and have been seriously considering pulling them out and dusting them off! I'll let you know if/when I attempt it!

Morning all! Just a quick hello before I head out for work! Quiet here last night.... I imagine those of us here in the U.S. were glued to their televisions watching election results.... or like me, they just went to bed.

I'll BBL to chat!..............P

Woohoo Wednesday!

The crew of the Black Pearl, with Jack Sparrow in the brig, eventually catch up with Will and Elizabeth. After a short battle at sea they are captured and taken on board the Black Pearl. Figuring out that he has the blood the cursed pirates need, Will negotiates for Elizabeth's freedom. Unfortunately he doesn't specify where she is let go and Her and Jack are marooned on a desert island. They seeming accept their fate and celebrate with singing, dancing and RUM!

download.jpg

What are you celebrating today?

Last edited:
I've still got my JM dvds and have been seriously considering pulling them out and dusting them off! I'll let you know if/when I attempt it!

If you are interested, we could do a challenge together! Like both commit to the same exercise schedule to keep each other accountable. But I won't be back from vacation until middle of December...

I'm sorry.... I didn't mean to call you out and face your fears here in public. I guess I pushed a little too hard. But all of those fears are real and not unfounded.

No need to be sorry. I am pretty open about my fears. I have a ton of them. You didn't push too hard. I didn't realize this was the question at first.

My woohoo. Yesterday my weight was back down but today it is back up but still lower then on Monday. I have gotten 35-40 of water for 2 days now. I am really trying to stick with this. I didn't get to workout yesterday but I did do 60 squats throughout the day. I had about 1300 calories yesterday. More then I wanted but it was all healthy food except for a chicken sandwich at lunch. I dropped my lunch on the floor yesterday so i had to buy something. I was so mad. My husband is being super supportive right now. He was shocked that I was trying to get 20 oz in before bed. This is really unlike me. I told him that gaining those 2 pounds really rattled me. I worked too hard to lose the 10 pounds. I maintained over the summer and have been slowly creeping back up. That 2 pounds was a lot and I am determined not to gain that 10 back. He said he was very proud of me and is working with me on a work out schedule.

So I guess my main woohoo is that I feel like I am back on track and determined to lose this weight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter