Would you wear a mask at WDW for incentives?

Universal City Walk opened. Guests must have their temperature taken and be wearing a mask. They had a reasonable number of people visit today.
I'd be ok with CityWalk and Disney Springs, other than CityWalk having a parking fee neither place has any financial investment like a theme park does. And the time spent there is usually a fraction of a theme park. I'm walking not riding rides, I'm shopping not riding rides or watching parades or firework shows, etc. The only downside is if you're eating there regarding contamination of the mask. I view CityWalk and Disney Springs more like just going out shopping to the store so it's not on the same level as a theme park.

I do have a DISer who went to CityWalk and he said there were a lot of vloggers there. It's entirely possible more people were there as a result of being able to vlog about it. But I expect people to still go there anyways.

No problem with wearing of a mask if a business requires it and I want to patronize that business. But-I wouldn't want to patronize Disney no matter the incentive if masks are required and just wouldn't go.

I would happily wear a mask without any incentive other than my own safety and the safety of my fellow guests. Where I live, you literally don't see a single person on the street without a mask. Once your hometown reaches 1000 deaths/day due to COVID, maybe you folks will change your tune about wearing masks. I truly hope that never happens, but with many of the attitudes I'm reading about here, I'd be shocked if it doesn't.

I would happily wear a mask without any incentive other than my own safety and the safety of my fellow guests. Where I live, you literally don't see a single person on the street without a mask. Once your hometown reaches 1000 deaths/day due to COVID, maybe you folks will change your tune about wearing masks. I truly hope that never happens, but with many of the attitudes I'm reading about here, I'd be shocked if it doesn't.
Has anyone said they don't wear masks when going out? I'm pretty sure those saying they wouldn't wear masks (at least in this thread) are saying they wouldn't go to Disney if masks were required. Isn't that their right? If a business requires masks, shouldn't people be allowed to say "I won't patronize that business"? What's wrong with that?

🦹🏻‍♂️ Somehow, I don’t think this is what epidemiologists have in mind when telling the public, 2 and older, to wear a mask...

I thought for sure we had a Zorro emoji. Oh, well.

:duck:

Sigh. We aren't talking about defying the rule to wear a mask.
We are talking about choosing not to take a WDW vacation if we have to wear masks there.

If I had already had a trip planned I would still go if I had to wear a mask. I realize I may have to adjust my normal touring plans but I would assume it to be doable.
In fact, I’m curious enough about the experience that if a mask requirement keeps enough people away and reports suggest that the experience is positive I would probably schedule an extra trip just to say I was there when you had to wear a mask (hoping that the requirement is temporary).

The topic was Disney vacations, based on your comments you may not want to venture to Disney unless they require a mask (which from articles posted on the News thread seems like that's the case) otherwise you'll be surrounded by people you don't want to be surrounded by.

In fact it's probably a decent enough idea, and I mean this sincerely based on your above comments, to not venture far away from home for quite a while because you'll encounter people who aren't from where you live who won't be wearing a mask and it would seem like that would make you highly uncomfortable. I totally respect your feelings on the matter you gotta do what makes you feel right (as others do as well so long as they abide by rules set forth where they live or go) :flower3:

As I mentioned earlier, if I need to wear a mask on vacation to feel safe, it isn't safe to vacation.

I would wear one without incentive (unless you count being allowed in the park as an incentive)

I live about 3 miles from the Magic Kingdom and it blows my mind people are clamoring to come here on an expensive paid vacation and wear a mask for hours at Disney. Not that I need to tell anyone but it’s hot here. Like really hot. A lot of people wanting to vacation here soon are probably coming from areas of the country where the heat hasn’t started. Wearing a mask in the heat here sucks. It’s not fun and it wouldn’t be a fun vacation wearing it for hours.

I wear a mask every time I need to go out to the store or whatever, and just the short walks from the back of the parking lot to the store in our heat suck in a mask. The other day I went to the UPS store and had to park towards the back of the lot, then wait for a bit in the store because there were others in there and then walk back to my car. By the time I got back to my car my face under my mask was drenched with sweat. This was maybe 15 minutes outside and it’s not even summer yet, so it’s not even as humid as it will be. Going to the grocery store for an hour or so is even worse. I can’t imagine spending an expensive vacation walking around outside for hours in our heat wearing a mask.

So today, I helped my son move into a new apartment. We are required to wear masks in stores, etc. where I live in PA. It is 82 beautiful degrees outside today. I wore the mask while moving stuff from the truck into his apartment building. For the hour I spent doing this I felt like I was going to die. Granted I am not as young as I used to be. 😁 But I literally couldn't breath and and had to sit outside trying to catch my breath. I can say without a doubt that if masks are required when we are supposed to go in September, we will reschedule. I am not spending $6000 to have to leave the park ever hour to breathe. It's very painful to think of having to cancel, but we can wait to see if things improve in 2021 and masks become non-required.

Think of it this way- it's the only time Disney will let adults wear masks! Customize it to look like your favorite princess or farm animal or sea creature. You'll never get another chance!

The problem with incentives is that many of those who are swayed by them will simply tuck the mask in a pocket after they've gotten the thing that enticed them to put it on in the first place. And since masks are about protecting other people, not protecting yourself, letting them be optional really defeats the purpose. A majority need to wear them for it to make the overall environment safer.

I'm in the camp of not going to WDW while mask requirements are in effect. I can tolerate my mask long enough to do the grocery shopping, but I can't imagine any situation where I'd choose to wear one all day, day after day for an entire vacation in the FL heat. When we're in the parks, it is often from rope drop to evening EMH closing time, and that's just too long to be masked. The discomfort would take too much away from enjoying what I was doing. But I also don't see myself going while the experience is still limited either; without the characters, parades, fireworks and shows, Disney is just an amusement park with mostly kiddie rides and not worth the thousands of dollars we spend on admission. And especially with the rumored reopening plan keeping my favorite park (Epcot) closed the longest, I don't have a lot of interest in going in the near future. (Not that we were planning to anyway - Food & Wine 2022 is our next scheduled WDW trip).

My next planned Disney trip is DLR in March '21, when I'm supposed to meet DD and some of her college friends in Anaheim over spring break, and I might keep those plans even with a mask rule in place. I think with the lower humidity, the cooler early spring weather, and the relative ease of leaving the parks for a break, I could deal with wearing a mask there if I had to.

Face shields are definitely masks. There is no world where...
View attachment 494689is a mask, and...
View attachment 494690is a mask, and...
View attachment 494691 is a mask, but...
View attachment 494692is not a mask.

This is an interesting rebuttal, I'm not really sure what you are saying. What better source for the definition of words than a dictionary would you recommend?

Merriam-Webster says that a mask may be "a protective covering for the face", and "a comparable device to prevent exhalation of infectious material". Dictionary_com defines it as, "any protective covering for the face or head." thefreedictionary allows, "A protective covering for the face or head." Cambridge dictionary says a mask is, "a covering for all or part of the face that protects, hides, or decorates the person wearing it".

Every dictionary I can find includes a definition for the word "mask" that absolutely describes that clear face shield.

I was speaking broadly and used the words 'mask' and 'babies' because they apply very broadly. I did not recommend anyone put a N95 respirator or a surgical mask on an infant.

But if you are going to bring your potentially contagious child, of whatever age, along to share a space with 20 or 30 thousand other people, and Disney would like me to be one of them, then steps should be taken to limit that kid, as a transmission source. Whatever the specific approach is that is most suitable for the specific child, it comes down to the same thing. A mask.

Air+ markets a power assisted N95 for children as young as 3 years. For an infant that might mean a plastic barrier or draping a cloth over the stroller, as the AAP recommends. That's along the lines of what I had in mind if the subject were an infant. I'm happy to repeat the CDC recommendation that children under two not wear face masks that might restrict breathing. That seams to be the common wisdom here and now. Though there is a James Dyson Award winning design for a filter respirator for infants that incorporates a pacifier nipple.

I will say though, that I never thought to be quite so specific, mainly because the practice of putting a filter mask on one's baby is common in other parts of the world. Maybe babies in Singapore are just more resistant to suffocation than our babies, because their infant mortality rate is far lower. In fact, not that long ago the Stritch School of Medicine, citing CDC research, produced a helpful guide for equipping pediatric patients with face masks, including patients younger than 6 months old. It included direction to "Fold adult sized masks in half and fit them across their small faces" and warned of a sorta adorable risk, "... of misidentifying children when multiple siblings are wearing masks".

TL:;DR
Don't wrap cloth around a baby's face. I mean, unless of course it's a common practice where where you are and there are not regular news reports of babies suffocating, in which case who am I or anyone else to tell you what to do?
You can also social distance yourself from my 2 yr old in his stroller. You should have no reason to be that close to him in his own stroller.

You can also social distance yourself from my 2 yr old in his stroller. You should have no reason to be that close to him in his own stroller.
There's a real concern about how people tend to practice a sort of 'behavioral bargaining'. It's not a matter of either-or with masks and maintaining appropriate social distance. Believe me, I will be following the most cautious of guidelines with regard to how close I am to other guests, just as I expect those other guests to be following the most cautious of guidelines in their choices to wear PPE and accurately answer health screening before placing themselves in the company so many others.

There's a real concern about how people tend to practice a sort of 'behavioral bargaining'. It's not a matter of either-or with masks and maintaining appropriate social distance. Believe me, I will be following the most cautious of guidelines with regard to how close I am to other guests, just as I expect those other guests to be following the most cautious of guidelines in their choices to wear PPE and accurately answer health screening before placing themselves in the company so many others.
Well Disney has said under 3 no masks. So that’s that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter