Would you/have you asked your neighbor to clean up yard?

I could have written this post but didn't. We have the worst neighbors. Going out my front door makes my skin crawl and also makes my blood boil. They have lived next to us for a year and their yard makes it look like i'm living next to sanford and son. They have wood pallets piled 5 feet high on the property line , old cars and trucks lawn equipment and everything else under the moon. I haven't said anything but i sure want to i just complain alot to my husband. We and all our other neighbors keep a spotless yard so i don't know why they can't put some effort into keeping up apperances. They sure have enough time to party so they should have time to clean heir yard up.
This is a fire risk. Personally I would go to the city if my neighbors had combustibles all over their property.

That fire is not going to magically stop at your property line.

The city has no say as we live in the countryso there is no so called big brother watching over anything.

The city has no say as we live in the countryso there is no so called big brother watching over anything.

I bet your county does have "big brother" to call. You can start with Zoning and Ordinance. They should direct you to the appropriate department.

If the home is being rented, contact the owner if it bothers you that much. It may be in their lease that the owner cares for the lawn and the outdoors. I had one like that :) You can address it in nice terms such as the black pumkins can draw bugs and varmits as well as seeding the lawn for future pumkin growth. It might be the blight of the neighborhood, but the real concern needs to be addressed to the owner, not the occupant.

If the home is being rented, contact the owner if it bothers you that much. It may be in their lease that the owner cares for the lawn and the outdoors. I had one like that :) You can address it in nice terms such as the black pumkins can draw bugs and varmits as well as seeding the lawn for future pumkin growth. It might be the blight of the neighborhood, but the real concern needs to be addressed to the owner, not the occupant.

OMG. Pumpkin seeds in the yard. The horror.

We have a neighbor that concerns themself with their neighbors lawns, yards, cars and anything else they can think of. We had a boat that we took out of the water a few years back and it stayed on the side of our house for a season. They didn't like the view from their bedroom window. A boat bothered them, not a thing wrong with the boat either, properly stored and all.

I wondered if they would rather look at this? :rotfl:

Polka-Dot-House-Causes-Media-Buzz_photo_medium.jpg

we have a neighbor that concerns themself with their neighbors lawns, yards, cars and anything else they can think of. We had a boat that we took out of the water a few years back and it stayed on the side of our house for a season. They didn't like the view from their bedroom window. A boat bothered them, not a thing wrong with the boat either, properly stored and all.

polka-dot-house-causes-media-buzz_photo_medium.jpg

o......m.......g!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The dis makes me love my neighbors more and more...

We have a neighbor that concerns themself with their neighbors lawns, yards, cars and anything else they can think of. We had a boat that we took out of the water a few years back and it stayed on the side of our house for a season. They didn't like the view from their bedroom window. A boat bothered them, not a thing wrong with the boat either, properly stored and all.

Polka-Dot-House-Causes-Media-Buzz_photo_medium.jpg

That wouldn't bother me. Not one bit.

JessicaR said:

If would love to do that. My bf won't let me though. :(

You realize that pumpkin vines are pretty darn ugly, right?

I've got a farm field right behind my house that many years is planted in pumpkins, so yes, I know quite well what pumpkins look like.

I also know that despite the fact that the farmers leave approximately 20% of the harvest to rot in the field for some reason or another, my lawn has not been overrun with pumpkin vines. Nor have I noticed any more rodents than usual. In any given year, there are probably well over a thousand pumpkins left in the field.

I have also planted pumpkins in my own garden from time to time. They are no more difficult to rip out, nor are they any uglier than any other weed which may find its way into a lawn, although I've never had a single instance of pumpkins self-seeding and appearing in my lawn.

I most assuredly would hope that law enforcement officials weren't wasting time on worrying about errant pumpkin vines taking over my neighborhood.

disneylovero said:
Your neighbor's yard is none of your business.

If it effects my property, then yes it is. It can effect my property by lowering property values, having to look at their ugly mess daily, possible rodents from excessive junk.

I need to bake cookies for my neighbors :goodvibes

I'd rather have a neighbor with two rotting pumpkins than a neighbor who feels like it is his or her duty to report every "infraction" they perceive. There are health hazards and there are preferences. They aren't the same. Maybe, I'm wrong but I don't examine everyone's yard and property. What some consider trashy or unkempt may not be the same for everyone.

OP, just be careful. I know a person I'm another city who mowed hs neighbor's yard when he mowed hs own. He really thought he was helping out and doing a neighborly thing. He was arrested later for trespassing. The prosecutor threw it out, but technically he was trespassing. Because of his job, he received some punishment in his personnel file since he was arrested and admitted he dd in fact trespass.

It would just cause bitterness. I'm still annoyed by our back neighbor who caught me off guard after a weekend away as I was unpacking the car to complain to me about the backyard -- to which my DH had planned to mow that day anyway (but heck, I didn't know it since I hadn't even gotten in the house yet and I was already tired from a long drive & cranky -- I think she did offer to mow but all I kept thinking was she would then be the type to sue us if there were any problems since she is coming over here to complain). If I recall that was a particularly crazy busy summer for us so the front got mowed way more often than the back because that was all we had time for.

Unfortunately, I have a very negative view of her now and that was several years ago.

That would aggravate me, also. Knowing me, I probably would have smiled and said, "we were going to mow today, but now that we spent time chit chatting, we just don't have time". I know you said you didn't know he was planning it, but I would have said it anyway. I hate it when someone oversteps their bounds.

I just want to jump in and say that my yard can get a bit neglected, not hoardersville or anything but weeds and random toys, but I do my best. I work full time, I'm a full time wife and mother, and go to grad school. My husband works about 60 hours a week and spends most of his time after work helping care for our DD so I can do homework. I know that there are people who are superhuman and can keep their homes perfect inside and out while still working, but we are not them. Again, we do our best. I remember my single mom worked a lot and our yard could get a bit neglected, but instead of complaining our wonderful retired neighbors pitched in to help her. Instead of complaining about it, have you asked them if they would like some help with their yard? If you approached it in a nice way such as, "I know your busy and I would like to lend you a hand with this," you might be surprised by the results. I know if someone offered to help us on an overwhelming day, I would be brought to tears by their kindness. Don't always assume these things happen out of lazyness, they just may be overwhelmed.
Just a thought, I might be wrong, they could just plain be lazy, but try not to judge too harshly.

Nice post. we don't know what people are experiencing, do we?

That is not a very good excuse. I work 50 hours/week. My wife works full time and is taking her Masters. She is a teacher, so she has extra work in the evenings too. It doesn't take very long to
mow the lawn. I spend about an hour every week mowing the front and back. I still have lots of time left over to care for my two young sons while the wife does her work and homework. We are far from superhuman. Instead of sitting
on the couch watching TV for hours a night, I can look after my kids and do whatever work needs to be done around the house. I guess it depends in
people's priorities in life. I guessing these neighbors the OP was mentioning are not too busy to do the work, probably just too lazy.

I can't imagine going through life so critical and judgmental of everyone. I don't know the people, but I don't automatically think they are lazy. It could be they have illnesses, family requiring assistance, Etc. As for yards and houses, your perception of acceptable is not necessarily the same as others.

PS, i think a person could post he or she was run over by a bus, and someone would post, "well, I was run over by a bus AND a car".

OMG. Pumpkin seeds in the yard. The horror.

Well, I assume that since there is no mention of a garden that this pumpkin is rotting in, it would be considered unusual for a pumpkin to take seed in grass or a landscape. I would not like to have pumpkins sprouting in *my* grass. I have had gourds take to seed in my landscape, and its a pain to get to the area they were at. A gourd rolled off my pourch and rolled under a bush. The next late summer/early fall I had vines growing out from under my bush. It was not part of the landscape plan, let me tell you:lmao:!!! I do and will continue to think that seeding in those part are undesireable.

The point is that these people are renting a property. They obviously do not feel that they should respect the owner, neighbors or the land that they are renting. If someone chooses to plant gourds and pumpkins as part of their landscape plan, rock on with their bad selves. But, the homeowner, should be made aware of it as it can affect the curb appeal of the home or invite bugs, animals or some other kind of uninvited things into a neighborhood. That is just not smart in a neighboor hood as far as bad feelings, impact on home worth, or invasion of the property by varments.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts