• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would meat eaters be content with a meatless lunch?

If I had vegitarian or vegan friends I would not ever expect them to serve me meat in their home. I'd be totally fine with it.

Wouldn't bother me a bit, especially if it was DIY and I could leave off items I didn't like (I can't abide fungus, for instance :rotfl2:).

However, I was raised in the Seventh-day Adventist church (no longer a part of it at all) and they espouse vegetarianism. Even though my family always ate meat, I was quite used to church-sponsored events, dinner at friends' houses, etc being meatless. Not only can I eat it, I can cook it. ;) DD18 has several vegetarian friends, and I never have a problem having meatless options for them when they eat here.

That said, there are several grain-based meat replacement products on the market that IMHO are pretty tasty. Maybe you could cook up one of the "hamburger-style" ones with some taco seasoning as well?

I was a former vegetarian (for 10 years) who recently turned carnivore. I think your menu sounds filling and delicious and I wouldn't change a thing unless YOU felt comfortable doing so.

Your menu sounds delicious! I wouldn't miss the meat one bit! :thumbsup2

We met some vegan friends for lunch while on vacation last summer, and they suggested their favorite vegan restaurant. We agreed, but I honestly thought to myself, "Oh, great. Sounds like I'll have to stop and get some lunch after we're finished with lunch!"...Because I didn't expect to find anything good on the menu. I was pleasantly surprised (and FULL!) :thumbsup2

It would be courteous for you to provide for your meat eating guests.

If you choose not to, it would be courteous for you to inform your guests of the menu so that they can make their own accomodations.

I've never met a meat eater who doesn't eat chicken. It seems even the pickiest of the picky eats chicken. I have some kids who don't eat red meat of any kind, no pork, but will always eat the chicken.

I never voluntarily eat chicken - especially chicken breast. Can't stand wings.

I love my beef and pork, but I eat a lot of vegetarian meals. And a lot of bean/pea (field, cream, black eyed) meals with meat only as flavoring.

I would never expect a vegetarian to serve meat in their home. If they feel very strongly about it that would be similar to asking someone who keeps a kosher home to serve pork products.

I already posted that I would happily eat what's on your menu, but I do agree with this part of DizBelle's post.
it would be courteous for you to inform your guests of the menu so that they can make their own accomodations.

If you suspect that "no meat" will be a surprise, or a problem, for any of your guests, you could always give them a polite heads-up. If everyone knows you're vegetarian, I don't think they'll expect meat, but since you haven't seen some of them for a while, they might not know or might have forgotten.

I like it when my host gives me a heads-up for the menu. That way, if I'm not sure I'll like what they're serving I can eat a little snack before I go or something like that. I would never expect my host to change her menu, but I do appreciate knowing *if* food will be served and, in general, what sort. "Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday for vegetarian tacos and margaritas!" would be fantastic.

:rotfl2: LOL I have heard this from a lot of people who don't eat beans regularly. We eat a lot of beans so we are used to them and it doesn't "affect" us.

Also if someone isn't used to a lot of fiber too many beans may give them loose stools so they may think something was wrong with the food. Just a little warning.

I haven't read the entire thread, but OP have you considered soup?

Wendy,
I've noticed mushrooms are a thing for some people. It seems to be something people love or hate. I am going to use big slices of portabellas so people can easily pick around them if they want.

My absolute favorite website is http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/ I've yet to make a bad recipe from there.

This refried bean soup recipe is SO GOOD and quick.
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/03/smoky-refried-bean-soup.html

The tortilla soup is another one I am considering, but we just had it a few nights ago!
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2010/02/tortilla-soup-with-pinto-beans.html

Look around the website. Use the search engine and put in an ingredient you like and something will likely pop up.

Thanks so much for posting the website! I looked around on it & ended up bookmarking it. There were plenty of recipes w/o mushrooms! ;) And I pinned on my Pinterest boards the recipe for Pinto Bean Tortilla Soup & couple of other recipes too.

When I go out to restaurants, it seems the vegetarian dish always has mushrooms in it. If you look at the vegetarian dishes at most of the Disney restaurants, there are mushrooms!

I'm halfway interested in pursuing a vegetarian diet, but I'm still not sure I could give up bacon & steak - chicken no problem! ;) And I've been worried about all those mushrooms! LOL! I don't mind the flavor of mushrooms (like mushroom sauces), I just don't like the actual mushrooms. If I can pick around them, I'm good.

As an aside, I think mushrooms are used a lot in vegetarian dishes because they're a good meat (protein) substitute, right? DH is very high protein/low processed carbs (carbs from fruits & veggies are fine, w/ the exception of white potatoes) w/ his diet. I try to eat that way as well, but DH says I don't get enough protein which is why I stay hungry. (I could give up meat if not for bacon!) He also thinks I could never be a vegetarian because I would never get enough protein since I don't like enough of the meat (protein) substitutes - like mushrooms or tofu. Peanut butter would be my protein! LOL! Sorry to go off topic!

Anyway, back to the original topic - Again, I would really be looking forward to your menu! I think you have plenty of options, &, add in some margaritas, & I'll be happy, happy, happy!

DH & I are always excited to try different things & new-to-us cuisine. While your menu isn't really a new flavor profile to us, the vegetarian aspect is, & we'd have fun!

I'm sure you know your friends & your friends know you & know you're a vegetarian. Like I said earlier, I would never expect a vegetarian to cook meat for me & wouldn't want them to.

And I've never understood the attitude or expectations of people who seem to think that a host or hostess should provide their guests w/ absolutely every option under the sun. I laugh when someone posts something like, "I'm having a BBQ. Does my menu look okay?" And the poor poster will get all kinds of replies - "I don't eat chicken" "I'm allergic to tomatoes" "That's too many carbs" "My kids would have nothing to eat" "My husband doesn't eat any fruits or veggies" "I don't eat red meat"

As a guest, I am visiting a home - not a restaurant. And, while there are some things I don't like eating or can't eat, I can always find something. And it never offends me if the host/ess hasn't thought of my likes/dislikes or restrictions. I get migraines from MSG and from most pizza (I can only really eat homemade pizza), so if we're invited to a pizza party, I don't eat the pizza. However, there's normally something else there to munch on, & I'm fine. In addition to mushrooms, I don't like mayo, so, if something has mayo in it, I just skip it & find something else. Not a problem! My "absolutely no mayo ever" issue is my issue - not yours!

I would be fine with what you have. I wouldn't eat the beans because I hate them so don't be offended..lol

Years ago, I was invited to a friends friends house they served cherry pie, OMgosh I do not like cherry pie, but I somehow managed to stuff most of it down..lol

Another time a friend invited me to dinner she served spinach lasagna once again, I don't care for spinach, but I got it down with a lot of water. Later she said to me, you don't like spinach do you? lol Then come to find out she messed up the recipe because she doubled the amount of spinach!!

I was a former vegetarian (for 10 years) who recently turned carnivore. I think your menu sounds filling and delicious and I wouldn't change a thing unless YOU felt comfortable doing so.

Unless you now eat exclusively meat then I believe the correct description for your current diet would be omnivore.

ford family

While I think your menu is fine (we eat meat, but not on a daily basis), I've never met a meat eater who doesn't eat chicken. It seems even the pickiest of the picky eats chicken. I have some kids who don't eat red meat of any kind, no pork, but will always eat the chicken.

YOu never met my dad. Drove my mom crazy. She loved chicken and he wouldn't touch the stuff, but he did love all other meat, but no chicken. It was strange.

If I had vegitarian or vegan friends I would not ever expect them to serve me meat in their home. I'd be totally fine with it.

But would you feel obligated to serve vegan to them if you were the host?

Also if someone isn't used to a lot of fiber too many beans may give them loose stools so they may think something was wrong with the food. Just a little warning.

Oh yes, you got that right. Beans sure as heck does a number on my body! :lmao: I'd probably eat it, but not too much.

Excellent point. Hmmmm. Never thought about it that way. If i were the host, i'd serve vegetarian. MAYBE one meat dish. Maybe. But as a guest, I would have no problems eating vegetarian or vegan. Its easier to please a meat eater than a vegetarian I think? For obvious reasons of course.

I think the difference is that some vegetarians are vegetarians for, not just dietary reasons, but also for ethical reasons. So, no, I would never expect (or want) a vegetarian to cook meat for me.

On the other hand, as a meat-eater, if I know a vegetarian is coming to my house, I'll try to have something available for them to eat.

Being a meat-eater doesn't prohibit me from eating a dish that doesn't have meat in it whereas being a vegetarian does prohibit the person from eating meat, & I think that's the difference.

For example, if a vegetarian is dining w/ us (& I know the person is a vegetarian), & I'm cooking something like pasta, I'll have 2 different sauces - a meat sauce & a non-meat/non-dairy sauce - in addition to having salad & bread. If we're grilling hot dogs & hamburgers, I'd also have maybe a pasta salad w/ a oil & vinegar based dressing & a salad with different dressings & toppings available. I might even slice up mushrooms for a topping! ;)

My front door practically revolves with the amount of people in and out for dinners and weekend parties. If I'm hosting, I'm going to make food that everyone can eat whether that would be vegan, veggietarian or even diabetic. I have no problems doing such things.

When going over to others' houses, I will eat whatever is made simply because I don't follow a specific lifestyle. We eat meat in our house but it's a side item not the main course on the plate.

I find it is no different than when I go to someone's house who cooks in a manner that I don't. We ate dinner recently at a house, where basically was made from pre-packaged foods. We knew that before going to the house and made the choice. Most people know what they are going to be getting when going to someone else's home.

I don't disagree with either of your replies, and it kind of brings us back to the top. OP is not a meat eater, but is trying to be a good host all the same, just as any of us would :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter