Would meat eaters be content with a meatless lunch?

While I think many "meat eaters" would be content with a meatless lunch, it might seem strange in a meal that we would normally associate with having meat, such as tacos.

My aunt had many allergies, including to chocolate. But when her nieces and nephews came over for a birthday party, etc., she'd still make a chocolate cake if that was the birthday child's favourite, because believed in catering to her guests - she used to say she cooked for herself everyday whatever she wanted, cooking for her guests was special and she'd keep their tastes in mind.

Then again another relative of mine is the opposite, she was hosting something and ONLY wanted chocolate cake, and when someone reminded her of my aunt's allergy, she said "Well it is MY day and I want chocolate so that is what I'm serving. If they want another dessert they can stop at the bakery on their way back home."

So, yeah.

It's good you're providing variety, you don't have to personally eat it.

I agree. If its that big of a deal, eat ahead of time.

Agreed. My Dad is very picky out of necessity, because he has allergies to very common things that everyone cooks with e.g. onions, garlic, pepper, herbs. It's hard for him to find things to eat when he goes to dinner at someone's house, unless they know him very well, in which case they cater for him. He fares betetr at good restaurants, where he can speak to the chef and get a special meal prepared. He always eats before he goes to places he's unsure of, and then at the dinner he'll pick on bread, salad etc.

UPDATE:
I had to drop DS off at an activity tonight and it is right next door to Sam's Club. I ran in there for a couple things and decided to check out the frozen stuff.

I bought chicken taquitos. For me these are perfect. I don't have to cook or chop up any meat and I don't need to stick meat in any of my pots. I will put these on a cookie sheet lined with parchment and heat them up. No gross chicken touching my stuff! :lmao:

For the guests, I think it will be a gross....I mean good option! ;) From what I have been told, they like Taco Bell and this seems to be in the same ballpark.

They will still have to have meat free tacos if they choose to partake in my spread, but if they are just dying for some prepackaged meat filled goodness, they have an option. If that doesn't work, they will pass by McDonald's as they leave my house so they should be good to go!

On another note, I made the gazpacho today so the flavors can meld overnight. OMG! Honestly, it was beyond tasty. I'm hoping my guests hate it so there is more for me!

I think some of the replies in this thread made you respond in this manner. Thats too bad. :( These are your friends that were invited to your home to enjoy a meal with you. No? I hope you enjoy the day. :)

Personally it's just a meal people, ONE meal. The initial menu seemed to me able to please and satisfy MOST. Of course not all cause we cant please EVERYONE. ;)

I cater to my guest when I invite them over for a meal. I will make sure I have food they like and will eat.

I would not serve beef stew to a vegetarian and I would not serve scrambled eggs to a person with an egg allergy.

I think the chicken stuff you picked up is not going to solve the problem. Tacos are usually filled with meat not tequitos.

Why the need to treat your quests as lesser than you are treating the people living in the house? You really could not just brown some ground beef and add a seasoning packet for you guests?

The meal sounds amazing and I would be excited to eat it.

I love it when my vegetarian friends make dinner. I love trying things I might not think to cook at home.

It would be courteous for you to provide for your meat eating guests.
Why? I don't always provide chocolate for my chocolate eating guests or cheese for my cheese eating guests, or hot dogs for my hot dog eating guests. Meat is not a required element for any meal. I recently had dinner with a friend who has a husband who is a recovering alcoholic. I love wine with my meals, but I would never expect her to serve me alcohol in front of her husband. The OP doesn't eat meat, she doesn't like handling it, she might have an aversion to the way it's processed....I see no reason for her to provide meat. I'm sure her friends have gone without meat for a few meals. Her dinner is not a requirement. I would be really surprised if a friend had a problem with not eating meat for one meal.

I think that so often these things are non issues, until they get scrutinized on a message board.

I cater to my guest when I invite them over for a meal. I will make sure I have food they like and will eat.

I would not serve beef stew to a vegetarian and I would not serve scrambled eggs to a person with an egg allergy.

I think the chicken stuff you picked up is not going to solve the problem. Tacos are usually filled with meat not tequitos.

Why the need to treat your quests as lesser than you are treating the people living in the house? You really could not just brown some ground beef and add a seasoning packet for you guests?

I cater to my guests as well. I want to serve them good food & good drinks. I hope everyone is comfortable & has a good time while at our home. I want the food I serve to be fresh, tasty, plentiful, & pleasingly presented - but our home is not a restaurant.

I'm not sure why a meatless meal means a vegetarian hostess is not catering to her guests or treating her guest "less well" than she treats her family?

A person seriously cannot go one meal w/o meat?

If you look at all the different items the OP listed, there is plenty to eat! I'd be perfectly happy & content w/ a (meatless) taco salad, a bowl of (homemade) soup, & a margarita. No one has ever had soup & salad for lunch?

(As an aside, I have yet to consume meat today. For breakfast, I had a slice of strawberry yogurt cake & cup of coffee. For lunch, I had a boiled egg w/ some wheat toast, a handful of tortilla chips, & some raw carrots. So far, no meat today! And I'm okay. For dinner, we're having fish.)

If I were the OP, I wouldn't even be providing the taquitos, because, to me, it takes away from the fresh, homemade-ness quality of the rest of her menu.

Again, I would never assume or want a vegetarian to provide meat for me... that's a little selfish/entitled, isn't it?

What if I'm hosting a birthday party, & I bake a chocolate cake w/ chocolate icing for the birthday person knowing that's what he/she likes? Am I also supposed to provide a cake for people who may not like chocolate?

Allergies are different. If I know someone is coming to my house & he/she is allergic to something, I'm going to be sure that I have something available that the allergic person can eat. Like, if the person is allergic to chocolate, I probably won't make a chocolate cake - or if I do, I will provide an additional chocolate-free dessert.

However, if there are no known allergies to chocolate, I'm going to go ahead w/ my chocolate cake. I'm not going to provide something for every single possibility or every single person's likes or dislikes.

Oh, & the seasoning packet that you mentioned adding to the meat probably has MSG in it which will give me a killer migraine in addition to other preservatives. I'd rather just stick w/ the numerous other fresh, homemade meatless alternatives that the OP listed she'll have.

UPDATE:
I had to drop DS off at an activity tonight and it is right next door to Sam's Club. I ran in there for a couple things and decided to check out the frozen stuff.

I bought chicken taquitos. For me these are perfect. I don't have to cook or chop up any meat and I don't need to stick meat in any of my pots. I will put these on a cookie sheet lined with parchment and heat them up. No gross chicken touching my stuff! :lmao:

As a meat eater, I'll have to disagree with that statement if you are heating up pre-made frozen chicken taquitos. Sometimes no meat is better than "meat" :lmao:

If you look at all the different items the OP listed, there is plenty to eat! I'd be perfectly happy & content w/ a (meatless) taco salad, a bowl of (homemade) soup, & a margarita. Why is soup & salad for lunch so wrong?
I know! There have already been people who don't object to meat, but who are objecting to menu because it's Mexican food.

You honestly can't make everyone happy.

I want an update after all of this is over. I will almost guarantee that your guests will feel happy with what you've provided.

Update:
I think they all survived and I don't think they are stopping at McDonald's on the car ride back! :cool1:

While I didn't keep track of what everyone ate, I believe everyone went back for at least seconds, if not thirds and fourths for a few!

The only ones who at the taquitos were the two kids, but they also made themselves multiple quesadillas so I could have done without them altogether. Oh well.

The gazpacho was a huge hit. Based on what I have leftover, the Spanish rice, guacamole, grilled veggies, and the pico de gallo were extremely popular. The only thing that didn't go over big was the refried bean soup. I labeled all the food and I noted that the soup was VERY spicy so most didn't even try it. I didn't mean to make it that spicy. Oops!

All in all it was a very good lunch, if I do say so myself. It was also great to catch up with some people that I haven't seen in years. Now I think I will take a nap!

Update:
I think they all survived and I don't think they are stopping at McDonald's on the car ride back! :cool1:

While I didn't keep track of what everyone ate, I believe everyone went back for at least seconds, if not thirds and fourths for a few!

The only ones who at the taquitos were the two kids, but they also made themselves multiple quesadillas so I could have done without them altogether. Oh well.

The gazpacho was a huge hit. Based on what I have leftover, the Spanish rice, guacamole, grilled veggies, and the pico de gallo were extremely popular. The only thing that didn't go over big was the refried bean soup. I labeled all the food and I noted that the soup was VERY spicy so most didn't even try it. I didn't mean to make it that spicy. Oops!

All in all it was a very good lunch, if I do say so myself. It was also great to catch up with some people that I haven't seen in years. Now I think I will take a nap!

:thumbsup2

I think many of us, meat eaters and veg eaters alike, want to be the best hosts we can be.

Sounds like you did a great job for your guests.

Relax and finish the margaritas!!!

:thumbsup2

I think many of us, meat eaters and veg eaters alike, want to be the best hosts we can be.

Sounds like you did a great job for your guests.

Relax and finish the margaritas!!!

This - especially the last part :thumbsup2

Update:

So glad the lunch went so well! I knew it would! ;)

Sounds like everyone had a great time!

Since I can't have regular cheese I would enjoy seasoned meat but I would be just as happy with spiced TVP crumbles. In fact at home we usually use TVP crumbles for Tacos and vegan cheese. We have 2 meat eaters, 1 vegetarian and 1 vegan so I really depends who is eating which way the meal will go for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter