Worst wedding presents ever....

OHHHHHHHHH I know another one. We had someone order a sasquatch lawn statue from the SkyMall magazine on the way down to our wedding. It arrived about 5 weeks after our wedding. DH insisted we put it on the patio of our first apartment and got lots of weird looks. It ended up getting a wasp infestation and we threw it out.

Picture for fun.

upload_2016-2-12_21-4-21.png

I started reading this without looking at the original posting date, so didn't realize what a zombie thread it is. However, it's an interesting topic that makes for a good read, so who cares? Anyhow... I was reading along, thinking about what I considered MY worst wedding gift, when I read something I completely agreed with- I agreed with the comment on the quoted post, and I thought it ironic that someone got something exactly like what I thought our worst present was. I TRIED to like it, but there wasn't a "like" option. I noticed the date and thought maybe you can't go back and "like" something that old. THEN I noticed the poster... apparently there is no option to "like" YOURSELF! Yup, I was trying to like my own, old post (post #27)! Oh well... at least I am consistent with my opinions!

I started reading this without looking at the original posting date, so didn't realize what a zombie thread it is. However, it's an interesting topic that makes for a good read, so who cares? Anyhow... I was reading along, thinking about what I considered MY worst wedding gift, when I read something I completely agreed with- I agreed with the comment on the quoted post, and I thought it ironic that someone got something exactly like what I thought our worst present was. I TRIED to like it, but there wasn't a "like" option. I noticed the date and thought maybe you can't go back and "like" something that old. THEN I noticed the poster... apparently there is no option to "like" YOURSELF! Yup, I was trying to like my own, old post (post #27)! Oh well... at least I am consistent with my opinions!

I liked it for you (felt sad that it didn't get the like you tried to give it).

OHHHHHHHHH I know another one. We had someone order a sasquatch lawn statue from the SkyMall magazine on the way down to our wedding. It arrived about 5 weeks after our wedding. DH insisted we put it on the patio of our first apartment and got lots of weird looks. It ended up getting a wasp infestation and we threw it out.

Picture for fun.

View attachment 151134
I would love to get that for DH (did get him a big foot car air freshener). However, he'd want it on the front porch.

We got a semi-automatic TEC-9 gun (go ahead and look that up.. not your average handgun). Silver. It's pretty much a gangster gun and the same kind use in the Columbine shooting. Neither of us shoot guns, I had never even touched a gun until then, and it was given to us in the parking lot after the reception all sketchy style. It holds like 32 rounds or something extremely unnecessary like that. It lives at my grandpa's house in his gun safe because I won't allow it in our house.

Last edited:

We got a semi-automatic TEC-9 gun (go ahead and look that up.. not your average handgun). Silver. It's pretty much a gangster gun and the same kind use in the Columbine shooting. Neither of us shoot guns, I had never even touched a gun until then, and it was given to us in the parking lot after the reception all sketchy style. It holds like 32 rounds or something extremely unnecessary like that. It lives at my grandpa's house in his gun safe because I won't allow it in our house.

I don't think I'd have taken it. I hopefully would have had the presence of mind to say something like, "Thanks. We appreciate your concerns for our safety, but we don't have guns in our house. I'm sure you will be happier keeping it than we would be accepting it." Gosh. Who gives a gun as a wedding present? (OK, stupid question that just reflects my location/beliefs/socioeconomic status, etc. But still...)

Last edited:

:scared: yikes! I have no words.

(Don't care that this is a zombie thread, it's timeless and there's a whole new crop of people who have not weighed in)

My friend got a pair of bright pink earrings and a pasta maker. (She isn't the type to use any kind of gadget or doo-dad.)

Apparently I have one of the worst, too. A fancy brass door knocker with their name engraved. They were buying their first house. Live and learn, I don't go to weddings anymore.

I don't think I'd have taken it. I hopefully would have had the presence of mind to say something like, "Thanks. We appreciate your concerns for our safety, but we don't have guns in our house. I'm sure you will be happier keeping it than we would be accepting it." Gosh. Who gives a gun as a wedding present? (OK, stupid question that just reflects my location/beliefs/socioeconomic status, etc. But still...)

Wait for it... wait for it...

My mother-in-law.

Who gives a gun as a wedding present is exactly what I thought (and still think)! She's kind of a nutbar.

Another one, from my MIL. Two HIDEOUS...I mean attrocious looking vases in this awful poop brown/gray color. Clearly the potter who made them had made a mistake when spinning them on the wheel and they had started to collapse. But the determined potter decided to call the two leaning/deformed vases a matched set of "hugging vases" (because when placed together one appears to lean towards the other). So MIL bought them as a wedding gift for us. I've displayed them on the buffet in my dining room since we married in 2005. In 2011 my MIL went through a series of insane moves that ultimately led to us cutting her out of our lives...among them, reclaiming the vases from my buffet while I wasn't home saying "You never use them." It's true, they've never held a flower, but I have always displayed them...for comedic value if nothing else. She also took the buffet itself. And the last can of Who-hash.

Is it just me, or would this thread be totally better with pics?:idea:
I know most of you don't have these gifts but I would love to see them:P

Ask and ye shall receive...

huggingvase.jpg

While I was the one that received my MIL the day after my first wedding, I completely forgot this gift from my second wedding. Still have the gift gathering dust in a spare bedroom

image.jpeg

Last edited:
A frog shaped Brillo pad holder

And a voltive candle holder. The latter was a gift from dh's uncle and three grown children

we have a winner!

My fiancé and I once gave napkin rings and two sets of dishes off the registry to one of his college roommates and his wife. A month later, we received a "thank you for the napkin rings" card - it turns out the dishes were back ordered and they hadn't received them yet. For our wedding a month later we received a very obviously regifted cheese tray. I think they were mad at us. To this day, I don't know if they still think we only got them napkin rings.

A mismatched pair if wine glasses that were dirty and one had lipstick stains on it!

How tacky. Don't you wish you could wrap it back up and return it to the sender with a note that says, "Seriously?!"

Our worst gift came from my best friend, although in her defense I think her mom may have bought it as she flew cross country for our wedding. It was a set of three teddy bear decorative wall plates. Never opened them but donated them to goodwill when we moved.

At the time, I thought the worst gift we received was a metal vegetable steamer that sits at the bottom of a pot and can fold up. Not sure how else to describe it. It was used, which was interesting, and I'm sure cost the gifter less than $5.

After 20+ years, though, I still have it and use it all the time! It turned out to be one of the most useful and durable gifts we got.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter