Worst wedding presents ever....

From my fathers cousins wife, well I guess the cousin too. She is from Texas so maybe it's a Texas thing but she knit/crocheted me something. I had no idea what it was but it was long, like it would fit across our bed and drape over the side and only about a foot wide. I guess it was to keep our feet warm in bed??

If it was really meant for the bed (rather than a table runner) it's called a bed scarf or bed runner. It's a thing at fancy hotels, but I can't tell you why

Our worst gift came from my best friend, although in her defense I think her mom may have bought it as she flew cross country for our wedding. It was a set of three teddy bear decorative wall plates. Never opened them but donated them to goodwill when we moved.
Maybe you should have opened them just in case. I was so excited to see that my cousin bought us a new knife block and cutlery set only to open the box to find three hideous ceramic pea green canisters. A note WAS attached on the inside saying that she had just gotten a new knife set and didn't have any other boxes.
And I seem to recall another post where years after the wedding, a gift giver mentioned how they had left a bunch of money in with a particularly simple gift. The recipient never knew and had donated the gift! :eek:

OK, total hijack:

My daughter works a few times a week with the audiologist at school.

At Christmas, I wanted to get her a small token of my appreciation, so I bought a really nice white throw blanket. (After the winter we had last year, I figured it would be a good idea; she could leave it in her office or car, whatever.)

Needless to say, the last day of classes things were crazy at home. So I grabbed the wrapped gift off the stack at the last minute and sent my daughter off to catch the bus to school.

Christmas morning, she had a blast opening all her gifts. Then, low and behold, she opened the white throw blanket.

What didn't she open??? A similarly shaped Disney Zum-zum (sp??)

I'm sure the audiologist must have thought I had enjoyed a bit too much eggnog.

We received 3 crockpots and 4 food processors. They were all the same and from the same store. Why couldn't people check the registry???

Also received a nice set of Pyrex Casserole dishes, but they were shattered...

OK, total hijack:

My daughter works a few times a week with the audiologist at school.

At Christmas, I wanted to get her a small token of my appreciation, so I bought a really nice white throw blanket. (After the winter we had last year, I figured it would be a good idea; she could leave it in her office or car, whatever.)

Needless to say, the last day of classes things were crazy at home. So I grabbed the wrapped gift off the stack at the last minute and sent my daughter off to catch the bus to school.

Christmas morning, she had a blast opening all her gifts. Then, low and behold, she opened the white throw blanket.

What didn't she open??? A similarly shaped Disney Zum-zum (sp??)

I'm sure the audiologist must have thought I had enjoyed a bit too much eggnog.

When I worked as a teacher I received a few interesting gifts of appreciation. The oddest were decorative butter spreading knives.

When DH & I got married, 2 of his groomsmen went in together on a wedding gift for us. They got us a cheese board & slicer from Target. We had received another very similar gift, so we decided to exchange it. And that's when we discovered that each of DH's 2 buddies spent $7.50 each on our wedding gift.

OK, sorry, another hijack.

This year I'm teaching PreCalculus, and we do a lot of work on the graphing calculator. In the beginning of the year in particular, I would put my calculator up on the projector so the kids could see the sequence of keys to use.

I'm... let's say "vertically challenged." So I made a number of errors because I had to stand on my tippy toes to see what the display said as I kept the calculator on the projector.

One of my Seniors got me the best. gift. ever: a stepstool!!!!:worship:

OK, no more hijacks.

My uncle gave us an electric can opener - seems harmless enough. I don't like electric can openers, so I was going to return it to Wal-Mart. Something made me open the box before returning it - it was used and CAKED in nasty splattered food!!!! I just threw it away.

Another odd was DH's aunt, who he is very close to - she always sends birthday gifts, nice Christmas gifts, etc. She is his Godmother and even did a reading in our wedding. She gave us nothing for a wedding gift, not even a card. I always wondered if there was some sort of mix up or something, but couldn't very well ask her "Did you mean to give us nothing for a wedding present?"

If it was really meant for the bed (rather than a table runner) it's called a bed scarf or bed runner. It's a thing at fancy hotels, but I can't tell you why

It was a bed scarf since it was knitted. Like the poly has only their is cloth and wider and we just take it off the bed because it's going to get kicked there anyways.

we aren't swanky and if someone is going to k it me something for my bed, how about matching colors to my lines which have since changed about 4 times since then. My mother took it and probably threw it away.

It was a bed scarf since it was knitted. Like the poly has only their is cloth and wider and we just take it off the bed because it's going to get kicked there anyways.

we aren't swanky and if someone is going to k it me something for my bed, how about matching colors to my lines which have since changed about 4 times since then. My mother took it and probably threw it away.

LOL, I know just what you're talking about and I always thought that they had these runners on the bed so you could put your suitcase on them and unpack without getting the bed dirty. I guess I just made that up in my mind..LOL :o

My DH and I can't think of anything bad we got as a wedding gift. My cousin gave my first hubby & I an electric carving knife. It finally bit the dust a couple years ago. It was 25 years old. My now DH & I got a cake plate/punch bowl. If you put the base one way, the glass top covers it and it's a cake plate. You flip the base over and the glass top over and it's a punch bowl. Wanted to give one to a friend as a gift and couldn't find one anywhere. She had seen mine and loved it.

Had to give something as a gift to two 70 somethings getting married. My friend's mother was getting married again to an old friend. Since they both had houses and everything, we got them a small picnic basket with two nice simple wine glasses and a bottle of champagne. She really liked it. I mean what do you get to older people who have both been married before? :confused3

Had to give something as a gift to two 70 somethings getting married. My friend's mother was getting married again to an old friend. Since they both had houses and everything, we got them a small picnic basket with two nice simple wine glasses and a bottle of champagne. She really liked it. I mean what do you get to older people who have both been married before? :confused3

I know a gay couple (guys) who had been together 40 years before they were able to legally marry in their state. Several nieces and nephews decided to give them toasters. The guys really didn't need any household items, but they enjoyed the joke, and appreciated their nieces and nephews for caring enough to attend the ceremony.

My DH and I can't think of anything bad we got as a wedding gift. My cousin gave my first hubby & I an electric carving knife. It finally bit the dust a couple years ago. It was 25 years old. My now DH & I got a cake plate/punch bowl. If you put the base one way, the glass top covers it and it's a cake plate. You flip the base over and the glass top over and it's a punch bowl. Wanted to give one to a friend as a gift and couldn't find one anywhere. She had seen mine and loved it.

In those circumstances, I tend to go with a really nice bottle of wine in a customized box or with a hand written note that says open on your first anniversary. I think you gave a nice and appropriate gift.

I had no idea who Famous Dave's pig was so I googled it. I lol'ed. While, that is not an awesome gift... I'm sure there are worse :-)
there is one for sale on eBay for $39.99 plus nearly $10 in shipping- not too shabby!

In those circumstances, I tend to go with a really nice bottle of wine in a customized box or with a hand written note that says open on your first anniversary. I think you gave a nice and appropriate gift.

I told them it was for their first night together and to enjoy. I think they went somewhere for a one night honeymoon.

I know a gay couple (guys) who had been together 40 years before they were able to legally marry in their state. Several nieces and nephews decided to give them toasters. The guys really didn't need any household items, but they enjoyed the joke, and appreciated their nieces and nephews for caring enough to attend the ceremony.

People did this to my cousin, as well. I couldn't attend the wedding, but it was a very informal, backyard wedding, so they opened gifts during the reception. Her 4 siblings had recruited a few others, and they all game them toasters. I only saw pictures, but they were all howling with laughter.

I would say that our worst gift was the one that wasn't. We didn't have the money for a videographer, so my Uncle offered to video everything with my parents video camera (not as a gift, but knowing my Uncle, he was happy to have something to do instead of having to sit there and look interested. lol). My cousin (his daughter) didn't have a lot of money so offered to edit the video into a nice production for us as a gift. I was very appreciative of that! However, 19 years later, I'm still waiting for it. ;-)

Although I guess we shouldn't keep waiting. She had gotten married (and divorced) before my wedding, and I got her a blender off of her registry. I still haven't received a "thank you" for it. lol

LOL, I know just what you're talking about and I always thought that they had these runners on the bed so you could put your suitcase on them and unpack without getting the bed dirty. I guess I just made that up in my mind..LOL :o

Oops boy did I have a lot of typos! Thanks iPad and autocorrect!

A very colourful (read: gaudy) peacock bowl with matching salt and pepper shakers from my ex-boss and his wife. It honestly looked like they picked the ugliest most outdated pieces they had at the store (keep in mind that my registry ran out, so some people where left scratching their heads with what to get us. We didn't ask for any fine china or crystal either so).

My friend had come over to my apartment to help me open up gifts with my DH and mom, and when I opened the gift we all had a good laugh over it and chalked it up to these people are old and old-fashioned, so it was better for them to pick another gift than writing a check (like most people who didn't get anything from the registry did). I decided to keep them though, because I thought they were kind of sweet and an appropriate reminder of my boss (who is a loud, lively character for someone in his 80s lol). My friend thought I was crazy for not returning them. I have them on our dining table.

A VERY close family member on my husband's side gave us a carved out piece of crystal with 2 figures in a "provocative" pose. Really?!! I could never look this man in the eye again.

My inlaws gave us a small china bell with a black marker (to write the date of our wedding on it i guess??) It's about 6" tall ... what make it truly the worst is what his siblings got : eldest sister a grand piano and the two other sisters honeymoons .. one in Bermuda and one in Hawaii. Not so subtle way of registering their displeasure with their son's choice, every year they made snide remarks about "well you made it another year" Yeah that was 31 years ago, I ain't going ANYWHERE :P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter