Worst wedding presents ever....

My brother and his wife received a check from his then-employer. Nice enough....but the employer then recorded it as part of my brother's pay and he had to pay taxes on it!

Reactions: HM
I don't know if it was the WORST, but it was certainly odd. A family of 5 was invited. They RSVP'd. We included them in our head count and paid for the caterer. They no-showed. Apparently they decided going to Carowinds would be a better use of their time that day (Carowinds is a Six-Flags-esque theme park). They gave us two park tix as a wedding gift a few days later.

Another one, from my MIL. Two HIDEOUS...I mean attrocious looking vases in this awful poop brown/gray color. Clearly the potter who made them had made a mistake when spinning them on the wheel and they had started to collapse. But the determined potter decided to call the two leaning/deformed vases a matched set of "hugging vases" (because when placed together one appears to lean towards the other). So MIL bought them as a wedding gift for us. I've displayed them on the buffet in my dining room since we married in 2005. In 2011 my MIL went through a series of insane moves that ultimately led to us cutting her out of our lives...among them, reclaiming the vases from my buffet while I wasn't home saying "You never use them." It's true, they've never held a flower, but I have always displayed them...for comedic value if nothing else. She also took the buffet itself. And the last can of Who-hash.
What, pray tell, is Who hash?!?

not a wedding gift, but at my friend's baby shower. i was sitting up with her taking notes of who gave what. she started opening a gift and all i could see was a thin, satin-y strap. i assumed it was some sort of baby headband. then she took all the tissue paper off and we saw it was a thong!!!
she was so embarrassed and i couldn't stop laughing.
the girlfriend of one of her uncle's shouted from the back that it was a gift for "after the baby."

We have (and had) too much stuff, so we asked for no gifts, and didn't do a registry. We got a few very considerate, thoughtful gifts from friends and family. My mother got us a set of sheets, which we still laugh about. They are nice sheets, though.

The worst wedding present I received was from my Aunt. She didn't attend the wedding. She wrote a nice check, but to the wrong Mr. & Mrs. Newlastname. I couldn't cash the check and at the time (15 years ago) I was too embarrassed to say anything to anyone about it. It just seemed so awkward. I mean, what do you say to a somewhat estranged Aunt who didn't even come to the wedding? "Thanks for the check, but could you write me another since you totally got my new last name wrong?" So, I just kept it around for a bit. I guess she received the invitation, but couldn't take the time to look at what my new last name would be.

Back in the 1960's, one of my friends was already pregnant when she got married, which was something you didn't reveal back then. She wasn't very far along and, as far as she knew, nobody outside of the immediate family knew about it. She opens her wedding presents and finds a baby layette from an elderly lady in the church. OH NO!! DOES EVERYBODY KNOW???

The next day, she gets a call from the elderly lady apologizing for the present. She had made a nice afghan for my friend and a crocheted baby layette for another girl who was having a baby and got the boxes mixed up. The lady was apologizing profusely and said, "Dear, I sure hope you don't think that I thought you were PREGNANT!" Oh, heavens no.....

While I was the one that received my MIL the day after my first wedding, I completely forgot this gift from my second wedding. Still have the gift gathering dust in a spare bedroom

View attachment 151216

I know where the matching Rhino is to your multi animal patterned elephant is. My parents rent a fully furnished house in FL for the winter. There are a lot (A LOT) of knick knack type items all through out the house, and between the multi patterned Rhino on the TV cabinet, and the 18" across tiger head on the dining room table, it was a bit like Wild Kingdom

My new BIL went in with 2 of the groomsmen (one a friend, one a cousin of DH"s) and they bought him a hunting bow. No card or anything from the 3 families - just the hunting bow for DH.

Someone mentioned baby shower gifts - I received gas gift cards at mine. Never did figure that one out.

From my fathers cousins wife, well I guess the cousin too. She is from Texas so maybe it's a Texas thing but she knit/crocheted me something. I had no idea what it was but it was long, like it would fit across our bed and drape over the side and only about a foot wide. I guess it was to keep our feet warm in bed??

My DH's aunt is a multimillionaire . She went on and on abut how my DH was her favorite nephew!!! We went through our gifts before we left for our honeymoon, hoping we would get some cash for our trip. I waited with baited breath to see what aunt " " gave us. She gave us a purple fitted sheet!!!:rotfl: I went to exchange it for a more neutral color and found out she got it on clearance for seven dollars.:rotfl2: If he was her favorite I wonder what others got. I guess that's why she is a multimillionaire .:thumbsup2

DH & I got married very young, I was 19. We paid nearly everything on our own and couldn't afford some of the professional expenses like a photographer.

My brothers fiance was a amateur photographer, I liked her photos, we talked about what I wanted captured. This was back before digital cameras were really used, so it was still film cameras. We purchased all the film. And then her camera broke, she tried to borrow one from her photography teacher, but it didn't work out.

We thought we were just going to have to settle on making sure our family took pictures and a hand full of those "party" disposable cameras.

Then, DH Aunt & Uncle got word of our problem and offered to be our photographers as our gift. They owned their own printing shop, so I knew everything would work out just fine.

They did the photos for us, when we got back from our honeymoon. There was a package waiting for us. It was very confused, as we had specifically asked them to just return the rolls of film and that we would take care of getting them processed, picking out which ones we wanted enlarged and which ones we would want more prints of.

In one ear and out the other. It was a bundle of printed photos and a note saying :

Please send a check for $320 when you get back. We went ahead and printed everything for you, we picked out what to get extra prints out and already paid for everything to be sent out to everybody that was at the wedding :eek:

I hadn't even seen the photos myself yet and these two clowns already printed everything and mailed all the photos out to all our guests and then asked us to PAY them :sad:

This was supposed to be their gift, and now we're paying them for something we couldn't afford in the first place. Back then $320 would have been our entire monthly grocery budget.

I just couldn't believe it

A salt and pepper shaker that weren't quite to our taste. I went to return them and found out this particular set was only sold with a napkin block also. We didn't have the napkin block.

From my fathers cousins wife, well I guess the cousin too. She is from Texas so maybe it's a Texas thing but she knit/crocheted me something. I had no idea what it was but it was long, like it would fit across our bed and drape over the side and only about a foot wide. I guess it was to keep our feet warm in bed??
Was it a table runner?

Reactions: HM
In one ear and out the other. It was a bundle of printed photos and a note saying :

Please send a check for $320 when you get back. We went ahead and printed everything for you, we picked out what to get extra prints out and already paid for everything to be sent out to everybody that was at the wedding :eek:

I hadn't even seen the photos myself yet and these two clowns already printed everything and mailed all the photos out to all our guests and then asked us to PAY them :sad:

This was supposed to be their gift, and now we're paying them for something we couldn't afford in the first place. Back then $320 would have been our entire monthly grocery budget.

I just couldn't believe it

I would have refused to pay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!