• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Work ???

EUROPA

DIS Veteran
Not sure if this is been done before...but what do you do?...Just the people who post on the Universal boards. What do you do for a living?

I work in QA for a Software company in the Greenville,SC area. I'm really thinking hard about moving to Orlando and working for one of the major parks though. Not sure how my work will translate though. I do have a degree in computer science. So if anyone has any ideas let me know.

Enough about me what do you do for a living ?

If you are making a good salary doing what you are doing...don't plan on getting paid that here. My husband is a programmer (consultant)...let's just say, he travels a lot. Orlando is mostly service based industry...not technical at all. It is great living here though! Wouldn't leave for nothing1

I disagree on Orlando not being technical. Yes, the primary job base is tourism, but Orlando is now one of the largest tech centers in simulation technology as well as several financial groups, banks and credit card service centers are now located here. There are some major hi-tech players here. The simulation market is grouped out around the University of Central Florida.

The job market is very tight here. I would do some serious research and make sure that you land a job before you relocate.

hey earl.. could you give me an idea of the companies around there that are in the electronics field. There is a very good possibliity that Scientific Atlanta will move all their manufacturing over seas and to Mexico and leave DH without a job. If he can't find on in Atlanta, Orlando would be my next pick (and his I think he will not live up north again). I don't like out west so we won't have many choices.

Yes, there are some companies out by UCF...we used to live just minutes from there. There are a few manufacturing places. Whether you want to believe me or not...go to a comparison site...job by job...because of the tourism industry...the pay for technical people in the Orlando area is much less than in other cities. This is going to be changing as more manufacturing companies move into the stretch of land between Tampa and Orlando...but that is many years down the road. Technical people in Orlando are paid with a lot of sunshine! Still wouldn't move for nothing!

Agreed I would never move without a better job. I was just throwing that out incase anyone had some solid ideas. I used to live in a resort area so I know a thing or two about customer servcie. I had to work in it to send myself to school.

Maybe this should have been two seperate post but still what do you guys do for a living?

Earl,IOATECH....I understand you can't really say....

I work at a college. I do administrative work.

I also am a part time gymnastics instructor, and private childrens birthday party coordinator.

I work as an elementary school counselor. Never a boring day!!

I'm a full time mom and a part time personal trainer at a gym...never a dull moment!:D

Full time mom here (well I guess alll moms are moms all the time, no offense to working moms intended).

I'm the traffic manager at a major radio station here in Atlanta and the mom of a very fine young man.

I've been doing the first one for 21 years and the last one for 8 years.

I work for a company called, Sales Managers Inc. The office is in NC but I work out my home in Altamonte Springs, FL. I write my own schedule and mange my own time. I have to call in the am to say where I am going and in the pm to see if I have any messages.

We are hired by different manufactirers (True Temper, Coleman/Sunbeam Kidde Fire Ex. G-B, etc. to name a few) to service their products in Lowes and HD stores around the country.

I do Lowes in the Central Fl. area.

webray,

I'll still have to respectfully disagree. It may very much depend on the exact field that you know, but there are decent paying technical positions. It depends on specialties and the company, but many positions are very competitive. Let's agree that for certain of the more common techinical positions, it may be the run of the mill. If you have any specialization at all, you can do very well.

I am first and foremost MOM to my 3 boys 14, 11, and 5! They keep me very busy with baseball, basketball, soccer, cub scouts (you know the drill).....

And if that's not enough...I work 20 (or so) hours a week as a Physical Therapist at a school for special needs children. (very challenging...and very rewarding!)

I occasionally spend time reading the Disabilities boards to learn about how families deal with vacationing with disabled children, as it is my job to order equipment and such to improve function for the kids and their families.

Life keeps me busy!!:)

Come on how about the rest of you? Seems like everyone works for the CIA or somehting and can't say?

I sell construction equipment parts for a CNH dealership. That is Case New Holland, or as some of us say Case no hope. Been here since 89 and love it. it is great to be buying your retirement home while in your wage earning years, :cool:

I am Mom to 15 yr old DS and 11 yr old DD. I am also an Auditor for the State of Illinois. How boring is that? But I have over 22 years in with the State and will be able to retire in 8.5 years! Then I plan to head down to Florida and get a job at a theme park!!!

Kim:wave: :wave: :wave:

Kim, a woman with a plan! Gotta love that plan:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter