Wk of Apr 2--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club

Minnie said:
Hi everyone!!!!!!!!!

The Minnie of many questions is back in force so I'll start with these two :lmao:

1 - Has anyone tried the Asics Kayanos? A friend that is a PT recommended them for me to help decrease the shock on my back. I haven't purchased them yet but are seriously considering them.

2 - My MP3 player was stolen at the gym a while back and I really need to replace it. Any ideas of a good one? Should I go for an iPod or is the regular ones just as good???

Happy training everyone!!!!!!!!!

::MinnieMo (Suzy)

Hey Suzy....I have the Asics Kayanos and LOVE LOVE LOVE them! I got the XIIs and they are wonderful. Very stable shoes....GREAT shock absorbancy....the gels make road running a dream.

Also...my sweet DH just bought me an iPod recently and it is wonderful. He got me the new Nano that was $150 I think. I'm really happy with it! :thumbsup2

Hey everyone!!! Happy Monday! :sunny:

Yesterday I did a bike/run brick with a few friends. They changed the plans on me a bit - we ended up biking 12 miles on a little shady road on a barrier island right next to the river - it was BEAUTIFUL!!!! We saw ducks, geese, chickens, peacocks/peahens, and a goat along the road - too cool!!! That took right at an hour, which included stopping for the draw bridge both directions (nice rest break :thumbsup2 ), then we ran 2 miles. The run was truly painful - I don't think I will ever get used to the feeling of running right off the bike - ouch!!! But it was still awesome! ;) Next weekend, we are going to try to do swim/bike/run at one of the parks on the other side of town. Tonight I have DS's swim lesson, then will try to get a light run in. My legs need a bit of a break after this weekend!

DH (wfloyd) is doing awesome - he signed up for GOOFY :goofy: 2007!!!! Woo-Hooo!!!!

Lynne - Thanks for the encouragement about Minnie training. There is no way I could miss a Disney Inaugural Women's Race!!!! :goodvibes But I have been planning on the Danskin for over a year - have to do both!!! Good luck on all your Florida races! We were trying to figure out if we could get over to see some of the half ironman - still working out the details. It sounds like you are doing great on your training!

Mel - I love those aliens!!! Your 5 mile pace was great!!! Hope you are feeling better soon!

Jodi - Great job on the 8 miles!!!! That is a great pace!!!

Kristi - How are you feeling today? My cold was fairly short-lived, I think due to lots of Airborne - love that stuff!

Kathy - Great job on the bike and the walk! Pretender was such an awesome show!!! Are you into season 3, yet?

GoofyGuy - That is great that your kids enjoy running! It sounds like DS is going to be a track star!! :cool1:

Disneygirl - Thanks for the race report - you did GREAT!!! And congrats for finishing under your goal!!! :woohoo:

MouseDogMom - Hope your migraine is better! Good job wogging, though!!!

Kevin - Awesome job on the back-to-back 5Ks!!! Those times are amazing!

Helen - So sorry you won't be at the marathon, but we'll see you at DL! :thumbsup2

Krista - Good luck on the running next week!!! How do you feel today?

Dave - Volunteering with your DDs sounds so neat!!! I'm glad they had a great time!!!

Amy - Yea for doing your run! It's so great when things kind of click when you didn't think they were going to! Good job!!

Nancy - great job listening to your body - hope you enjoyed your rest day!!! How are you feeling today?

Terri - Yea for your wog! And I hope your certificates come soon!!!

Carrie - WOO-HOO for your last mile time!!!! :banana: I will look through our pics and see if we got a good one of the 14 mile marker.

Sara - Lots of hugs!!! :grouphug: Hope you have a wonderful, relaxing time on your cruise!!

Judy - Yea for getting out on the track! Great job!!! As for doing an endurance event with excess baggage - it can and has been done! :blush: Less weight is always easier on your knees, but I don't want anyone to get discouraged from doing events due to their weight. I've done a 1/2 at my goal weight, and a full not even close to my goal weight. Have a wonderful time on your cruise - enjoy it, and make sensible decisions - you will be great!!! Plus most ships have amazing gyms - and walking the deck at sunset is so romantic! ;)

Melissa - Hope your legs feel better soon! Have fun on the field navigation!!!

Sunny - I hope things go well for you on your trip! And I really hope you get to do your race - don't worry about the plane and not showering - you'll never see these people again anyway... :rotfl2:

Minnie - I can't answer any of your questions, but it is great to hear from you! Congrats on getting back on track!!!

I'll check in with you all later - I don't think my laundry is doing itself... :rolleyes1

--Lynnda :wave2:

Carrie - I think you asked about a mile marker. Is this it?

Here is the quote from Mile 14 (green sign with Baloo):

Strength does not come from physical capacity, it comes from an indomitable will. --Mahatma Ghandi

Love this one!!! Maybe we should have a mile marker quote each week! ;)

--Lynnda

Hey TEAM: I just got the 2nd version of our sock design sent to us. Let me know what you think.

This is what the sales rep from SockGuy said:
"We suggest this design out of the ones you sent in. It will be the best constructed sock. Some of the other would be hard to make. If this design works for you I can show it to you in lime green."

WISHsock2.jpg

crzy4pooh said:
Kristi - How are you feeling today? My cold was fairly short-lived, I think due to lots of Airborne - love that stuff!

Lynnda - thanks for thinking of me! I am still sick, but I think I am heading in the right direction. I did go to work this morning, but left after the morning news shows. Came home and went right to bed. I just got up at 3:30!

I think I have a bit harder time with anything invloving the chest & lungs since I have asthma. I have been sleeping with my rescue inhaler in my hand some nights.

I am getting really nervous now about the Minnie. Before this cold, I was getting really confident that I could finish & not be swept. Now, since I haven't exercised since Thurs. according to my training plan, I am falling behind. I know I can't exercise with my lungs in the shape they are in now - but I am so scared of not being prepared for the Minnie! I am hoping to be in good enough shape to attempt walking my miles tomorrow, even if I go over 15 min./miles.

Thanks for listening to my vent, guys. I love reading your posts - very inspirational! One of these days I will get you all straight and be able to respond more! :blush:

Oh, and I hope to sign DH up for the Goofy this week. I am trying to use our eBay account for his races and I should have the funds soon from auctions that ended last night! He is getting nervous since we almost didn't make the cut-off for DL. He also got his 2006 Goofy certificate in the mail today - very cool!

Dave - LOVE the socks!

crzy4pooh said:
Carrie - I think you asked about a mile marker. Is this it?

Here is the quote from Mile 14 (green sign with Baloo):

Strength does not come from physical capacity, it comes from an indomitable will. --Mahatma Ghandi

Love this one!!! Maybe we should have a mile marker quote each week! ;)

--Lynnda
That sounds right! Thanks Lynnda! I love your sign of the week idea! I wa sgoing to say to wait until 26 weeks out from the marathon, but then that might take away from seeimg them at the marathon. SO, now sounds goo dto me! ;)

Dave - LOVE the socks!!!!!

Dave-those are so cute!! I love them and would definitely get a pair or two or three LOL!

Suzy-what kind of mp3 player did you have before? I am blanking on the name of mine right now I love it thought! It is small, lightweight, and easy to use. I'll check tonight and let you know what it is. I haven't had an IPod so I don't know anything about them.

Kristi - Take care of your cold first. You'll be fine. I missed about a weekand a half end of last October because of some hip issues. I was scared to death that I had missed too much. I felt great when I gave my body a little rest and let it heal. You'l be ok! :wizard: That you're up to running soon though!

Dave - the socks look great! Count me in for a pair or two.

I got my certificate today! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc But only for the 1/2. I don't know if I'll get one for the full or Goofy. I think my chip time was about 4 minutes over the 7 hour limit. So I don't know if they'll send out a cert for that. :sad2: But I know I finished the distance and I've got my medals to prove it!

Terri

Hi :wave2:

Krista! I am looking forward to your Flying Pig review, it sounds like it's a blast and on my list of future races.

Carrie: Thanks for the reminder about the pace. Susan says that all the time but I found out with all this that I'm very competitive when it comes to myself and the clock LOL That and I start to pick up pace if someone is coming up behind me ready to pass. Actually it's more a case of me trying to speed up to either be out of their way or in anycase not close them down but its the same result I've picked up the pace and Susan's threatening to yank my ponytail out LOL In races she keeps muttering about borrowing her sister's horseblinds so I don't get carried away with the crowd. I'm by no means fast but it's hard not to get pulled along :teeth:

Judy: that would have drove me batty at the track! I was almost run over by a bike that lost control coming down a hill this past week. The girl went flying into the brush. She seemed ok but then again we were distracted by the visions flashing before our eyes of us saying goodbye to Disneyland medals.

I highly recommend early park/trail training :thumbsup2 and I'm not even a morning person! Our earlier morning experiences on the weekends have been very pleasant. We typically follow those up with breakfast out :teeth: They do say you should refuel within the hour, of course I bet they didn't mean with chocolate chip pancakes. :blush:

So far today I'm being lazy so I'll see if in a bit I can drag my tush onto the ellip. machine for a bit. If I do the ellip it's usually for a mile as fast as I can then if I'm not bored and I'm enjoying the music I'll just continue till I'm bored which is around 40 to 60 minutes, I imagine tonight would be closer to 40 LOL I'm lazy tonight, I prefer being outside walking to indoor.

Hope everyone else is finding their will power and if you find mine please send it home ;)

I'm very frustrated. I thought I just had sore shins, but DH thinks maybe I've strained a ligament. The outer part of my leg above the ankle really hurts any time I put weight on it. He suggested I try wrapping it, so I decided to wrap it tonight and try to run - maybe not the smartest thing I've ever done. I was maybe 10 minutes from home when the pain was so bad I was almost in tears. I limped back home and have had ice on it intermittently the rest of the night. Just when I was feeling really good about my training, it appears that I'm going to have to take a few days off and let it heal or there won't be any Minnie for me! I was hoping to do a 5k this weekend just for the experience so the Minnie wouldn't be my first, but I don't think that's going to happen now. Now I can really feel for all of you who've been struggling with colds and trying to figure out how to keep training!

Helen - Can I come to London with you?

Kevin - No excuses. DH is doing the Minnie with me.

Carrie - Thanks for the comment on my daughter. I think she's turned out pretty good so far! And great time on your 4 miles!

Krista - I'm with you. How dare work interfere with training and Dis-ing?

Mel - More applause. Thanks for keeping us together.

Judy - High school kids have no manners. We went to a meeting for the parents of the soccer team, and all the girls on the team went in the room first and took all the seats and left the parents to stand. I couldn't believe the coach didn't say anything to them, especially since the meeting was for the parents, not the players!

I'm terribly envious of all of you who get to run on your tracks, though; all our schools lock the tracks when they're not using them so I can't ever get on the track even though the high school is a half mile from our house.

Sara - Hope you feel better soon!

Suzy - I have a Zen Micro MP3 player, and my daughter has the Nano. The Nano is much cooler!

Dave - The socks look great!

Jackie

There are inspirational mile marker quotes??? Ohhh wait...they expect me to read and run at the same time??? :duck: :sad2: This could get interesting....

Carrie: You take notes while running a marathon?? wow

Suzy: I had Asics Kayanos X's for a year and they were great. Can't say I used them much during that year (on an indoor track for perhaps a month or so) though I did run the Fun Run in them so I love em for that. I got Asics Kayanos XI's in January. I loved them loved them loved them. They required no adjustment period and were great for running on roads. Good cushioning, good stability. But.....two months later I had completely blown through them. This was after 220 miles, if that. I'm a toe striker and I guess the XI's just weren't build for toe runners as far as durability goes, though I loved how they ran. Trying out Asics Gel 1110's right now, I'll let you know how they last (they dont give quite as much stability or cushioning though).

Anne: I will sign up for Goofy after the CCC. Gotta break these things to the parents gently, ya know?

Dave: Like the socks! :cool:

Kristi: I'm feeling for you on the asthma. :hug: I have mild asthma, and being in NOLA with all the mold and dust and gunk--ick ick! You could try biking or swimming or something that doesnt require your lungs quite as much to transition.

Diane: :rotfl: I am so the same way if you put me on a track! I'm a bit better now out on the roads with very few people (who are all going the other direction, really slow, or really fast) and the Garmin helps b/c it incessantly chirps at me if I start getting into *ahem* race mode. Choc chip pancakes?? *drools* does it come with chocolate syrup by any chance?? pooh: And as for your runaway will power...have you checked in the fridge?? thats where mine likes to hide hehehehe

Jackie: Ouch! Let those poor legs get some rest. Maybe a lil swimming or other crosstraining would work for prep while your legs heal. And if you get to go to London then I wanna go too. :Pinkbounc

Though lacking a bit in modivation, when I do get my bum out the door my runs have been rather good. Friday I did my long run, 3:2 interval for 12 miles, 13.1 miles total. Sadly, I forgot to set the interval to my guestimated 33 repetitions (darn I wish it had an indefinite or a distance goal setting with intervals), and the defalt is two reps. I went out for a nice two reps then I was wondering why it switched to telling me how fast I was going rather than the zone I was in. Took me almost five minutes of jogging before I figured it out. So I had to walk and program it. Worked okay but I dont have a precise time b/c of it. Oh well. I ended up with a pace just under 14 mpm including warm up/cool down.

Saturday I went with a group to NOLA and helped out there. I ended up pulling out nails from a house. Lots and lots of squating and arm muscles hehe. It was a good day. Lets not talk about what I ate during the basketball party though :blush:

Sunday I had THE greatest workout! :cool1: Went 3/1 interval for 48 min for workout, 4.8 miles in 53 min total. Thats an 11 mpm pace !!!! :goodvibes :) 5.4 mph :smooth: I'm happy happy.

Today I went on a leisure bike ride for about 30 min. It was nice to kick back for a day.

lol Claire! I takes notes of posts on the boards. While I'm runnign I just take lots and lots of pix! I took teh Penguin's advice literally. Then again, I didn;t stop to take many of the pix, so only dh and I have any clue of what they are. :rotfl:

MDM- Hope you're feeling better soon!!!!

Oh, for those of you who have bonde Garmin moments, son't worry. After a few of these frustrating mistakes, you will NOT do it again. ;) Not hat I know from experience or anything. :blush:

Just popping in here for a few minutes....

Dave - love the socks, like the others I would probably get a few pairs also :thumbsup2.

Good thing today was the rest day - I must have done something to my ankle yesterday it is feeling a little funky today, if I don't feel 100% tomorrow......I will probably take the day off too! Just kind of bummed about it, I was hoping to do some crosstraining tonight!

Have a good night everyone!

Jodi

Went on a mountain bike ride tonight. It was my best ride ever. We were in a hurry to get done b/4 sunset when they close the park gates.

Dave - i love the socks!!!!

Claire - I'm embarassed to say that I ran both the 1/2 and the full and never realized that there were inspirational quotes on the mile markers. I didn't even know it until people posted that they were on the race recap cd (which i didn't know was in the packet until someone posted about it either :teeth: )

Jodi - sorry about your ankle.

MDM - I hope your shins feel better soon.

Okie three things I forgot to mention/ask:
1. Stupid Spring forward.....I was sooo adjusted to waking up at 5:30 and having sun in my room. Now its all dark. Talk about a modivation killer.

2. I tried using granola bars during my long run. That soo aint gonna work. Too much sugar and not enough salt. I ended up feeling kinda sick. Tried licking sweat from around my mouth--and I dont wanna hear anything from the snot rocket/farmers blow section about how gross that sounds--I was desparate okay?? I picked up some Gatorade at the store...now I gotta figure out how to carry it (fuelbelt i know i know).

3. Yikes I was looking at my arms (and hips and thighs) and noticed stretch marks? Light colored lines on my skin. I guess I should see it as a mark of losing weight blah blah blah but will these suckers go away???

After a huge amount of deliberation, I have FINALLY made my decision about the Minnie! I am signing up for the 5K, and DH is going to do it with me! Cam has already sent me the registration forms, I have printed them out, and they will go in the mail tomorrow so they beat the deadling for the AP/DVC discount. Hopefully they won't have sweepers because I may have a problem staying ahead of them, but than again, who knows how much motivation they will provide me. Besides, I really do think I am capable of going a lot faster than I do. I was determined to be an active participant in the Minnie weekend one way or another despite what my knees may think.

Today was a pool day for me. Swam 1000 meters. I have decided I hate leaky goggles! They are worse than no goggles at all. I need to get some new ones that fit my eye sockets a little better, then do a better job of keeping my hair out from under them. That alone would go a long way....

Hey, Chimera, how 'bout them Florida Gators! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Hi Everyone,

I decided that it might be a good idea to take an easy for a little bit - this week I will be resting my ankle. I think if I do anything it will just be Pilates.

My ankle is feeling a little bit better today but not 100% I have a feeling I know when the ankle thing happened; darn uneven sidewalks (a place where you are kind of forced to go on the sidewalk).

I will check in on all of you throughout the week. Have a great day everyone!

Jodi

Jodi: Definitely take it easy and give yourself time to heal. (As I keep trying to follow my own advice).

Claire: Wow...your workouts are amazing girl! Just wait until I get my Garmin LOL...I'm a bit spacey when it comes to electronics to begin with...just imagine trying to figure that thing out! :teeth:

Nancy: :cheer2: Congrats on your decision to run the Minnie 5K. I soooo wish I could be there too. I'm sure you'll have a blast :).

Mel: Your trail ride sounds like fun. You guys must have been cruisin'!

Jackie: Sorry to hear about your injury :(. Give it some rest and lots of ice. Hopefully it will clear up. I had a similar pain about a month ago and I was able to heal pretty quickly. It sounds very similar to what you're experiencing.

Dave: LOVE the socks. I'm definitely in for buying a few pairs. Not sure how that will work?! I wonder if there is some way to set up a paypal account or something? Thanks for taking the time to have them designed for us :goodvibes .

Diane: I'm just like you...I care a little too much about my pace. I'm trying to just enjoy my runs more and not compete with myself all the time. But it's the competitor in me :blush: ....I'm learning though LOL. I ran slower than normal on Sunday but had a great run...felt great, had fun....really that is what's important right?! :)

Carrie: WTG on your run!! :woohoo:

Well guys...I sound like a broken record but I'm still fighting this cough, sinus, yucky stuff. I have continued to exercise through it this time and while I know that isn't smart I actually feel better during and after exercise than I do before so I just keep doing it. I have a doctor appointment tomorrow and I'm sure I'll get more antibiotics :(....and hopefully some good meds to clear up this cough. It's very frustrating!

Yesterday I did KBX class...it was so awesome I was drenched with sweat and we kicked the bags like crazy. Unfortunately the rest of my day stunk :(. I won't go in to much detail but I was verbally attacked AND threatened by some woman in a store because I politely asked her to give the poor sales lady a break. Long story short she was swearing at and being aggressive towards a little old lady who was working the fitting room in a clothing store. I asked her nicely to please try to be respectful. Well....let's just say I was called a few colorful names and told I was going to be "KNOCKED OUT". LOL...I know that wouldn't happen (remember KBX) but I was composed, remained polite and told her she was embarassing herself and that she needs to learn self control :rotfl: . Oh well....at least she stopped yelling at the elderly woman supplementing her S.S. by working in the store :(. How sad. I can't stand seeing people being abused....I always end up saying something and getting the brunt of their anger. But I know it's the right thing to do...bullies should not be left unchecked IMHO.

Hopefully today is better :sunny: . I think running is out of the question though for today. Maybe yoga will do the trick?! :confused3

Good morning. Today wasn't a rest day but I traded it for tomorrow. I was just too tired this morning. Trying to get everything done before we go away is wearing me out. Thanks to everyone who signed up at my WDW '07 thread. I'll get over there and update in a few minutes. It's so cool to know who else is going to be there. I can't wait to meet you guys! :yay:

Lynnda - Thank you for your encouraging words. :blush: I will try my best to stay on WW on the cruise, but man oh man, it's so tempting..... DH and I plan to hit the track every morning. I love getting up there at sunrise! As for the romantic sunset strolls...well, we are taking DH's four kids, so I don't know how romantic it will be. More like chaotic! :crazy:

Dave - I love the socks. I'd get a couple of pairs! :thumbsup2

Diane - Yeah, I don't know about doing the track thing. Maybe I'll find some nice quiet road instead. :goodvibes

Jackie - Yes, sad but true, guess manners are not so important anymore... :sad2: Oh i feel sorry for you with the leg thing. Sounds very painful! Maybe you should have a doctor look at it.

Claire - You're so funny! "Read and run at the same time"! :lmao:

Nancy - You go girl! How exciting! :cheer2: I want to the Minnie next year.

Ugh. I'm so not in the mood for work today. :surfweb:

Judy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter