Wk of Apr 2--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club

Hey Terri, I actually created a thread about the Broad Street run a couple of weeks back. This is a great event - this year will be my 8 th - and I look forward to it every year. Where will you be working during the event? I will have to make a point to say hello and thank you for your efforts.

Morning Everyone,

I don't have a lot of time to post (I'm just about to start work). Just wanted to check in and read how everyone is doing :goodvibes .

I'm amazed I'm not sore from the run yesterday but I am still a little sore from the personal trainer session that I had on Saturday......I guess we worked it harder than I thought we did.

Time is fast approaching for the 5k - although, I still have time I just can't believe how much time has already passed, I feel like it was just yesterday that I signed up for both the 5k and the 5 mile walk (5 mile walk fundraiser I didn't do so hot at - everyone chose to give to the 5k for Breast Cancer). Now the MS Walk is at the end of this month and the 5k is next month. I hope to improve on my time a little bit for the 5k.

Well, I have to run. Boy - did that 3 day weekend go by fast!

Jodi

Morning everyone! You may want to take this opportunity to mak a pit stop or refill your coffee, as this willtake me a while to catch up with everyone since Friday.

Ready? here it goes!

Claire - Good for you fo rgoing to the cleanup! That's such a grteat thing to do. I'll be thinking about your friend and her ds too. I know there's a reason fro child services, but when it makes a hard situation worse for good people, that stinks!

Tiff - Soo sorry about your grandfather. :grouphug: Glad your son's taking it well. Kids are amazing!

Kristi - :wizard: Hope you're feeling better sooon!

Jen - WTG on the 3-miler! Great pace!

Sunny - ROTFL. Yeah, you might still bea runner. Nice pace!

Lynnda
- Just finishing under those conditions is a victory! You should be proud of yourself. Sorry it felt like a stonker!

Diane - You know you shouldn't be worrying about pace too much right now and that it will come. Hang in there!!!

MDM's daughter
- Nice to meet you. Glad you think we're doing nice things for your mom. We really are a team here and teh feeling's mutual! :) SO nice of you to stop in. Can we talk you into running in January?

MDM - Sorry about the migraine! Hope you're doing better today. BTW, you must have done a great job raising your daughter. How sweet of her to thank us!

Lynne - Thanks for popping in! I think your triathalon training is likely a bit more importatnt. I'm sure you'll do fine on the Minnie!

Mel - Wo hoo for th great run! can you believe how far we've come in a year? Hope that means that the foot is feeling better!

Kathy - Take it easy young lady!!! None of tha tpushing yourself too hard! Now I see wher Lynne gets it! ;)

GoofyGuy - Love your training program! let us know if you notify someone more remote than the guy in line at the post office. I think that's the best I did when training for the marathon! ;) BTW, when you signing up your child prodigy?? ;)

DisneyGirl - WTG on beating your goal! SOrry about the rough night in the hotel!

jodi - AWESOME pace on the 8-miler!!! You rock!

Solo - Woo hoo for getting in those training runs!!! Tried to talk my dh into a newfie this weekend, but he's partial to St. Bernards.

Liz - Woo hoo! A call from the man himself. That's so awesome!

Krista - Good luck with the switch to running. Are you ging cold turkey or will you start with intervals?

Helen
- We'll miss you next year, but sounds like a cool trip. We'll be counting on you in 08, though!

Dave - Your work at the race with your dd's is awesome! That would have made my day to see them too!!!! Thansk for the work on the socks! I can't wait 'til we can order!

Amy - If you enjoyed your run, that's all that matters! WTG!

Terri - Great job on the wog!!!

MelR - Sounds liek a great time with your parents! Isn't it great when they're still active like that!

Cam - I miss you!! Hope you had a wonderful time!

Congrats to the Columbus WISH team!!!!

I did a 4-miler on Saturday. I made myself keep a 10:30, because of the short distance. Well, all but the last mile where I did a 9:55. ;) I guess my time off did not hurt as much as I thought!!

We got our certs and cd Friday! Too cool! FYI - The 14-mile marker is wrong. My pic of the sign is green and leafy. Anyone have a pic where you can read the saying?

I think anyone who finished this has completed their cross-training for the day!

solotraveler said:
Second, you know I would be down there running with you all if it wasn't a women's event. My desire to acquire Disney themed running medals knows no bounds.
Kevin (Solotraveler) :earsboy:
No excuses!! My DH is running the Minnie with me :love:

Tiff :grouphug: So very sorry for your loss.

Terri: I am running the Minnie but I'm still looking for an excuse to get to Philly. Please continue to post about race opportunities in your area.

7 miles for me yesterday for my Minnie training. Struggling bad today with depression that I need to kick before we leave for a 7 day cruise on Saturday. I thought exercise was supposed to alleviate depression!! UGH :confused3

Good morning, everyone!! :sunny: Yesterday was my rest day, although I should make Monday's my rest days, since I NEVER feel like doing anything Monday night. I think I'm going to walk 3 miles, hopefully outside, if the weather cooperates.

Sunny--Awesome job on your run!! Are you feeling better? How is work going? Were you able to convince the powers that be that there may not be a solution to the problem?

Kathy-- :wizard: on your foot! I hope you are feeling better soon. Don't push yourself too hard. Tell Erin we said hi. :wave2: Where is she working? I'll look for her when we go in May (a victory trip after the Pig. :teeth: )

Dave--Your daughters sound adorable!! How awesome that they are getting interested in exercising at such a young age. Although, I would have definitely blown off race food for Cracker Barrel!! :cloud9:

Carrie--Are you thinking of taking up a 2nd career as an author?? :teeth: I'm not sure what my intervals are going to be for the Pig. I ran the Disney half r4/w1, before my knee situation, I was doing r5/w1 and my goal for the Pig was r6/w1. I think I'm going to have to the Pig r2/w2 or maybe r3/w1--something like that just because I don't think I can get back to running what I was running in such a short period of time. Plus I plan on babying my knee a little bit. I'm walking 9 miles this weekend and then I start running next Monday, I think I'll do w3/r2 for 3 miles and go from there. I just keep telling myself that the Flying Pig isn't my ultimate goal, it's just something to do so I stay motivated to train. I'm glad you didn't have any problems running 4 this weekend. That's great that you were able to bounce back so nicely, that's a testament of how great of shape you must have been in before.

Melissa--Are you still a single Mom this week?

Lynne--Good to hear from you! I don't think you'll have any problems with Minnie with how hard you are training for your tri. How's school going?

Goofy Guy--Stephen's goal for the Goofy is just to finish. The Disney marathon was his first marathon and he finished in 4:44. It sounds like your son is a natural! Maybe a junior Pre??

I would love to talk some more, but I do need to get some work done. Don't they understand that work is getting in the way of my training and Dis-ing?? ;)

Krista - Good plan to transistion slowly! You do not want to aggrevate that knee! You're right, Flying Pig is not your a=ultimate goal, so you don't want to overdo just for that.

Which reminds me, must make hotel ressies for my May race.

GoofyGuy: - I'm the Expo Director for race weekend. When you come in to pick up your packet and T-shirt, just stop by the information table and ask for me. If I'm not around the table, whoever is will know how to find me.
The Expo is in a new location this year. It's at Lincoln Financial Field (Home the Eagles) on the East Club Level. Very nice.

I'll be waiting to meet you. :)

Terri

Greetings all! :sunny:

I have much to tell but first, Mel, I'm hijacking your thread for a minute....

If you are doing Disney in '07, sign in here please..... http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=12142803#post12142803

And everyone, while we have Mel's attention for a minute....Let's all give her a round of applause for all she does every week to keep us all connected. :thumbsup2 Her weekly thread is inspirational, motivational, and educational for so many of us. Mel, we really appreciate what you do here! :goodvibes

Well, a couple of things happened this weekend...First off, I packed for our trip next week. Now, you may ask, what does that have to do with training? Well, I'll tell you. I had to try on two bathing suits and various other summer clothes. This made me realize how FAT I am!!! :faint: OMG! Where's the porker smilie??? I have GOT to lose some weight. How can I possibly be even considering an endurance event at this weight? :furious: I am now MAJORLY motivated to get rid of this excess baggage I'm carrying around. This is probably most of the reason why I have such trouble with my knee. It will be a challenge to stay on WW next week while we are on the cruise, but I've got to.

And the second thing that happened was this....We went to the high school track yesterday morning. Yes, I actually ventured out! This was good and it was not so good. It was good because I walked full speed (OK, I screwed up my Garmin so I don't know my pace.) for an hour (but at least I managed to get the timer to work). I felt really good about having the endurance to go full steam ahead for 60 minutes. Especially after I realized that TM work does not equally translate into real life walking. Not for me anyway. It was HARD to walk outside. Much much different than the TM. So I really got a workout, and it felt gooooood!

It was not so good though that today my "old" knee is killing me! I think part of the reason is (besides that I am a cow) I need new shoes. So as soon as we get back I am going running shoe shopping.

One other issue I had with walking at the track. I thought on a early Sunday morning that the track would be quiet. I was wrong. There was a lacrosse practice in the middle and some of the track team practicing their long jumps. Now, I don't have a problem with that, but I was shocked at how rude everyone was! The lacrosse team left their gym bags all over the track. Some of them were off to the side, but some were right ON the track! It's not like there wasn't room to put them by the benches or in the grass or by the fence. Was this necessary?? Then the parents that were standing there watching the kids were just standing there - on the track. Couldn't they sit on the benches or stand on the sidelines? They have to stand in the middle of the track? Then they looked at me as if I was doing something wrong! I wanted to say "Hey, OUR taxes paid for this brand new track too you know." Then when one team was leaving and the other was coming on, the kids all walked, yup you guessed it, on the track. They walked four or five across and did not move! I had to go around them! I watched some runners on the track do the same thing. I just thought that was so rude. The kids could see we were running/walking there. They just looked at us. I was shocked. I don't know, maybe I am too old school. Maybe etiquette is old fashioned. But if I was just talking to someone or leaving the field, I'd move out of the way of people who were exercising.

OK track vent over. :headache:

Let me pretend to work now. :surfweb:

Judy

Originally posted by msblrobs: Struggling bad today with depression that I need to kick before we leave for a 7 day cruise on Saturday. I thought exercise was supposed to alleviate depression!! UGH
Sara - I just wanted to send out some good feelings for you dealing with your depression :goodvibes :wizard: :goodvibes. I have also struggled with depression and low self-esteem issues a lot in my life and it is a major reason I became a neuroscience researcher in a psychiatry department. Hang in there... get yourself to your cruise and I'm sure you'll feel better. Yes, exercise is supposed to alleviate stress and depression so just think how you would feel if you weren't exercising! Take care of yourself! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Mouse Skywalker said:
Sara - I just wanted to send out some good feelings for you dealing with your depression :goodvibes :wizard: :goodvibes. I have also struggled with depression and low self-esteem issues a lot in my life and it is a major reason I became a neuroscience researcher in a psychiatry department. Hang in there... get yourself to your cruise and I'm sure you'll feel better. Yes, exercise is supposed to alleviate stress and depression so just think how you would feel if you weren't exercising! Take care of yourself! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Thanks so very much for your kind words Dave. Normally, I don't struggle with it too frequently, which is why I'm surprised that it is hard for me just to put one foot in front of the other today. This too shall pass, I'm sure. Nothing a good run can't cure. :confused3

Sara - sorry that you are struggling w/ depression. I'm impressed that you got out there and ran anyway! You are tough stuff!

Krista - Phil and I (and the boy) arrived back home from our respective places yesterday. Phil does not have clinic hours tomorrow so I'll finally feel like i have a day off. I'm really looking forward to it!!! You are really doing good keeping up your training. You inspired me today to do some walking instead of running!!!

Tiff - I'm so sorry about your loss.

I didn't get to continue any of my adventures over the weekend. my mom was off work for the weekend and she is not given to physical outings!! I was really sore saturday anyway. I think kayaking so far up river hurt my back! Yesterday, after we all got home I went on a 4 mile run. I struggled to keep my pace at 11:00 min/miles. The run was excessively hilly, but i wasn't able to make up any time on the down hills. My legs hurt more than they did in the last few miles of the marathon!!! Today I did a 30 minute workout on the TM alternating the incline from the middle setting to the maximum. I also alternated a slow jog and a fast walk. I did about 2.4 mile in 30minutes. I seem to be recovering more slowly from last weekend's race than i wanted to!! Oh well.....

Phil and I are doing field navigation tomorrow. Hopefully we will cover several miles tomorrow too (I figure around 6, but I'll check the gps after we are done to see for sure)

:hug: Sorry for what you are going thru. Perhaps the cruise will help. We are leaving on Sunday. What ship are you going on? We will be on the Carnival Liberty. Alas....it is not a Disney ship. Perhaps next year. Do you run on the ship? DH and I love to get up really early and hit the top deck for a couple of laps. You can't beat the view!

I hope today is better for you. :flower3:

Judy

Sara-My thoughts are with you right now. WTG on running though and I hope you have a blast on your cruise! :grouphug:

aladdinsgirl said:
Sunny--Awesome job on your run!! Are you feeling better? How is work going? Were you able to convince the powers that be that there may not be a solution to the problem?

Thanks for asking Krista. My unmanageable task has been broken down into a two step deliverable and now I have a team of 6 people to help me! I'm still a nervous wreck working on it, though. Its almost definite I will have to go to Oklahoma April 18th, which means leaving the 17th which means probably missing my 5 mile race in Lexington :sad2: If I can get a flight late enough I'll still race. I suppose I really should leave enough time for showering before getting on a crowded plane :blush:

Tiff-- :grouphug: I'm sorry for your loss.

Sara-- :grouphug: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :cloud9: Get Happy!

Dave-- you must share what you've learned about depression. I'm all ears :listen:

Carrie-- Wow! that was an amazing reply post. Was it a PB :lmao: :rotfl2: How do you remember everything?

OK, back to work. :badpc:

Honeibee said:
And everyone, while we have Mel's attention for a minute....Let's all give her a round of applause for all she does every week to keep us all connected. :thumbsup2 Her weekly thread is inspirational, motivational, and educational for so many of us. Mel, we really appreciate what you do here! :goodvibes

Judy... :hug: thanks. All I do is spin the threads...y'all provide the fabulous content. It's definitely a team effort :grouphug:

Sara... :hug: We're absolutely here for you, but if you can't shake this, please make an appointment with your healthcare provider.

I'm home sick today with some kind of entertaining intestinal thing. We got to meet up with Cam at DTD yesterday. Hope she's feeling okay...we ate the same thing for lunch.

Can't believe it's April already. The Minnie's only 5 short weeks away :scared1: . I'm planning for some time off to heal my foot after the Minnie, then getting back to it to prepare for WDW.

plutosmyfav said:
Carrie-- Wow! that was an amazing reply post. Was it a PB :lmao: :rotfl2: How do you remember everything?

lol! Yes, I believe that was a pb! Eat your heart out Mel! ;) I have no memory. I took copious notes. 3 sticky note sheets worht as a matter of fact! glad you at least have a team now! Hope you can figure out a way to make your race!

Mel - It still takes effort to spin the threads and you are very much appreciated! Hope you're feeling better soon and I hope Cam is ok! Yuck!

Judy - I believe you got missed in my epic poost. :( :grouphug: Forgive me? Thanks for your thread! It's nice to have just the facts in one thread, because sorting through these threads for participants oculd be a nightmare!

Sara - :grouphug: I've never had the problem myself, but I know that just being able to recognize that you are depressed and will get through it is a good start.

wtpclc said:
lol! Yes, I believe that was a pb! Eat your heart out Mel! ;) I have no memory. I took copious notes. 3 sticky note sheets worht as a matter of fact!

:lmao:

:worship: You're in the lead for now, but be careful...I've got the rest of the day at home to work on it ;) Maybe I'll torture all of you with another poem :scratchin

Hi everyone!!!!!!!!!

Sara - :hug:

Judy - :wizard: for the knee. Have a wonderful cruise :goodvibes

I feel like if I am not totally back on track I am at least making my way towards it. I have been eating better for nearly 1 1/2 weeks now and have dusted off the old treadmill for some light walks. I am starting slow and will hopefully be able to build myself up to running once again :)

The Minnie of many questions is back in force so I'll start with these two :lmao:

1 - Has anyone tried the Asics Kayanos? A friend that is a PT recommended them for me to help decrease the shock on my back. I haven't purchased them yet but are seriously considering them.

2 - My MP3 player was stolen at the gym a while back and I really need to replace it. Any ideas of a good one? Should I go for an iPod or is the regular ones just as good???

Happy training everyone!!!!!!!!!

::MinnieMo (Suzy)

chimera said:
:lmao:

:worship: You're in the lead for now, but be careful...I've got the rest of the day at home to work on it ;) Maybe I'll torture all of you with another poem :scratchin

I'd love to read some poetry right about now. :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter