Wk of Apr 2--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club

Carrie & Claire - thanks for the encouragement! I am starting to feel better, although the lungs are still not great. My back is sore, which is always a sign for me that my asthma is not doing so good.

I am probably going to attempt my 4 mile Leslie Sansone DVD today. I did want to do my 4 miles I am scheduled outside, but it's raining and I'm a wimp! So, it's a DVD or the treadmill. I figure it's also probably a pretty good idea to stay inside near my inhaler and a chair if needed! ;)

AmyBeth – Thank you for the info on the shoes. I am thinking of ordering them online but was worried about not liking them and not being able to take them back. They are a little on the expensive side but worth it if it helps my back.

Dave – Love the socks!!!!

Beth – I had a RIO that had a SD slot for expansion. I loved it as it had an arm strap and was easy to use.

Claire – I had he Asics Gel GT2100s and I liked them okay but they weren’t as comfortable as some of my previous shoes.

Question time - Which would you do?????

I am debating on whether to purchase a more expensive Ipod or go with a less expensive player and get the Garmin 201.

Happy training everyone!!!!!!!

Minnie said:
1 - Has anyone tried the Asics Kayanos? A friend that is a PT recommended them for me to help decrease the shock on my back. I haven't purchased them yet but are seriously considering them.

2 - My MP3 player was stolen at the gym a while back and I really need to replace it. Any ideas of a good one? Should I go for an iPod or is the regular ones just as good???

\

1) Yep, absolutely swear by them. I used to be strictly an Asics Cumulus gal but as the mileage started piling up last training season I made the switch and will probably never look back. Of course they are the most expensive shoe Asics makes :rolleyes:

I went with a Creative Zen Micro. Its 6GB and works with Napster To Go service. The Napster service costs $14.95 per month for unlimited downloads. The catch is, your music won't play once you cancel your subscription. But for $14.95 per month I can sample anything and everything I want. I have had techno troubles and had to call tech support a couple of times, though.

chimera said:
:lmao:

Maybe I'll torture all of you with another poem :scratchin

Oh yes, please do!!!!!! I'm ready for a poem.

Do you remember my Robert Frost poem? I found a b-day card for my sister that said "A Poem by Robert Frosting" on the front and then read "who's cake this is...." etc. We got a good laugh out of it.

crzy4pooh said:
H
Sunny - I hope things go well for you on your trip! And I really hope you get to do your race - don't worry about the plane and not showering - you'll never see these people again anyway... :rotfl2:

--Lynnda :wave2:

Thanks, Lynnda. Looks like you've joined the competition for PB reply posts :rotfl2:

MelRhoads said:
Claire - I'm embarassed to say that I ran both the 1/2 and the full and never realized that there were inspirational quotes on the mile markers. I didn't even know it until people posted that they were on the race recap cd (which i didn't know was in the packet until someone posted about it either :teeth: )

I missed them, too. I almost threw away my certificate thinking it was junk mail :rolleyes: I haven't opened the cd yet, but now I'm excited to see what those markers said. Maybe I would have been a bit more cheery by mile 24 if I had read the quotes!

lilouisianagal said:
Tried licking sweat from around my mouth--and I dont wanna hear anything from the snot rocket/farmers blow section about how gross that sounds--I was desparate okay??
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I've had many posts of discovering there was yet another level of insanity in this sport.... I hadn't reached that one yet. If I'm seen licking my arms on the bike path its gonna be your fault :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Can you tell work has let up a bit? :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Sorry, I know I'm obnixious. Everyone else is careful to get their replies all in one post. I took the lazy approach.

Anyway, I made it to the Y last night (TG). I did 800 meter swim, 50 minutes weights (upto 560 lb leg presses). 60 minute upright stat. bike (21 miles) and 20 minutes rower. I also maxed out the back extension machine just for fun. I shouldn't have. I will probably pay for it, my back wasn't ready for 215 lbs. But its just too cool to do it :teeth:

Ok swim people: how bad is 9:00 for 400 meters? (21:10 for the 800) I wasn't pushing, but that is the distance my tri will cover (400). Will I be the last one out of the pool?

There's a bike rental place (actually two) right on the bike path, so pretty soon I'm going to brave the bike. I only have one month until my tri and I haven't started training yet!

How much will the stat. bike prepare me for really riding? The Y is offering a "ride to race" class next session. I'll try to take it. I ended up not attending my swim class due to the work load.

Sunny

Oh, one more thing :teeth:

Lynn, I may need you as an eye witness. I got a letter from Boston RtR stating they didn't receive my chip and I owe them $35!!!!! I replied via email that I did indeed return my chip. I'll see if I get a response.

PS, glad to hear from you and see you are training vigorously as usual :sunny:

Just one more, I promise this time!

Christa and Colleen where are you? Hope all is well. Drop a line when you can :grouphug:

Sunny

OK, back to work for real this time.

plutosmyfav said:
Oh yes, please do!!!!!! I'm ready for a poem.

Do you remember my Robert Frost poem? I found a b-day card for my sister that said "A Poem by Robert Frosting" on the front and then read "who's cake this is...." etc. We got a good laugh out of it.

Oooo I wanna hear that one! :love: :cake:

plutosmyfav said:
Thanks, Lynnda. Looks like you've joined the competition for PB reply posts

PB? personal best just doesnt fit ...hmm??

plutosmyfav said:
I missed them, too. I almost threw away my certificate thinking it was junk mail I haven't opened the cd yet, but now I'm excited to see what those markers said. Maybe I would have been a bit more cheery by mile 24 if I had read the quotes!

You thought something from Disney was *gasp* junk mail??? :sad2:

plutosmyfav said:
I've had many posts of discovering there was yet another level of insanity in this sport.... I hadn't reached that one yet. If I'm seen licking my arms on the bike path its gonna be your fault

mwahahahahaha!!!! :teeth: :p Somehow I felt like :stitch: when he is licking up toward his nose in the movie LOL .... Its amazing what just a few hours of running will do to your mind :hippie:

And you have my admiration for staying in the pool and swimming for 21 min, no matter how fast you went....I tend to get bored in the pool... :rolleyes:

....yeah work...writing paper = pulling teeth...i think i need a little more disney

Hi guys, I've been out of town and haven't been able to check in. The wheels fell off over the last 5 days or so. I had a kick *** track workout last thursday, but on friday my achilles tendonitis flared up, probably due to a too hard workout. I didn't run all weekend. Missed the Shamrock Shuffle in Chicago and my 20 miler before Boston. Its less than 2 weeks now and I've got a long run of 17.5 in and two 16s. Terrible.

I've got an ART appt tomorrow, and hopefully with a few more days off I'll get some miles in before Boston. Thank God its taper time!

Sunny-9 minutes for 400 isn't awful. You certainly won't be last, at least not based on the swimmers at my pool. Keep in mind the number of runners who are not very good swimmers!! Some guys I swim with do a 500 in under 8:30 regularly, I usually do my 500 repeats on 9:30 or 10, so I would think you'll be in the middle of the pack.

And I can't remember who posted about ipod vs garmin 201. Garmin 201 wins hands down!! Get the ipod shuffle instead of the regular ipod. It holds enough for a workout and you'll never know what song is next, it will be a nice surprise!

Kim

Hi TEAM! I need to run to a 1:30p meeting, but here's what the socks could look like in all green. What do you all think?

53e5bac0.jpg

Minnie - You're asking this group Garmin or no Garmin? Do you expect to get answers that vary? :rotfl2: Yup, definitely lesser mp3 and Garmin!

Sunny - So :goodvibes good to have you back!!!

Hi guys, mind if I join in?

I'm training for a 5K (my first) in August. I'm following John Galloway's training plan. It's going well so far, I'm up to 1.5 miles doing 3 min run/1 min walk.

Just thought I'd stop in to see how you guys do your thing, and to say hi! :wave:

Good afternoon all!

Sara-- :grouphug:

Chimera-- Ooh, a poem, yes a poem.

Dave-- Those socks look great!

Minnie-- Oh go for the Garmin for sure!!

Kim-- :welcome:

Sunny-- I think 9:00 for 400 meters is just fine. Since you are taking lessons (I seem to remember), that should help a lot too. It's amazing what little changes in your form can to for your speed. I will refrain for posting my 400 meter swim time.... :teeth:

To all you Minnie Marathoners: Wait, what? The men are allowed too?? :confused: If I could I would, but upon further inspection of my calendar I see that we are hosting the National Championship in Women's Golf that weekend and thus I can not get away. I will be there in spirit, though.

Yesterday I had a great workout in the gym-- 10 minutes on the bike, 45 minutes of lifting (legs) and 30 minutes on the Stepmill. It was a good thing, too, as it was (of course) snowing and raining outside.

Today I was supposed to get up and run, but I am taking it as a rest day instead. I haven't been sleeping well, so I just decided to flip today and tomorrow's workouts.

My phone keeps ringing, so I should dash...
Happy training!
Kevin (Solotraveler) :earsboy:

I just bought a pair of NB All Terrain 890 trail shoes. They are hybrid and can be worn on the road as well. I LOVE my asics Kayano XIIs...but I don't want to wear them for trail running. Just curious if anyone can review the NBs for me? Hope I made a wise choice :).

Hey all! I did a short, relaxed run last night - it felt good! DH did 4 miles at a 10:23 pace - yea! Tonight is a short bike with a 1 mile run (just working on that transition...) For tomorrow, I'm really excited because the pool is hosting a tri seminar in the morning with a local tri coach. It starts at 7:30 :coffee: and I will try to do some longer sets afterward if I can. (My dad has offered to babysit for as long as I need him... :teeth: )

Dave - I love the socks!!!! I'm either way on the color - I think I like the white better, but both are too cute!

Kristi - I'm glad things are looking up for you! I can't imagine what you are dealing with as far as asthma/lung issues, but lots of :wizard: for continued healing! Honestly they haven't posted sweeper points (that I have seen) like they do for the marathon and 1/2 marathon... maybe they will be a bit more lenient on the time. I don't think Disney wants a bunch of angry women roaming the parks... :lmao:

Carrie - Glad that was the right quote! Let me know if you have problems with the pictures!

Terri - I really hope you get the other certificates - but you are right - you know you did it, and you have the medals to prove it!!! :woohoo:

Diane - Choc Chip pancakes sound heavenly!!!! :love: How did the elliptical go last night?

Jackie - I'm so sorry about your injury!!! I know you want to do the 5K, but just imagine how awesome it would be to have Disney as your first race!!! :thumbsup2 It doesn't get any better than at the World!!!!

Claire - I was sooooooo thankful for those quotes along the course - and they had these really cheesy signs by sharpie... but they distracted me and kept my mind from going "Why am I doing this????" :blush: Awesome workout on Sunday, and good job on the bike!

Jodi - I hope your ankle is better soon!!! Good idea to rest it a bit - you'll be back running in no time! :thumbsup2

Melissa - Glad you enjoyed your bike ride!

Nancy - YEA for doing Minnie!!!! :cheer2: And I'm with you on the goggles - I think I finally got mine fitted right because I haven't had a problem the last couple of weeks. Yea!

Amy - I hope your dr appt goes well - and they find some meds to help you feel better! Good for you for standing up to that lady!!! I'm sure the older woman appreciated you, as well! :goodvibes

Judy - Ah! Our last cruise was before DS... I imagine four kids would not make for a romantic stroll! :rotfl2: I hope you are able to get all packed and ready for your trip! I can't wait to hear about it!!! :sunny:

Minnie - I can't really answer about the ipod - I would rather run in silence, but I don't know how I survived before I got my garmin... I vote for the garmin! ;)

Sunny - I don't know about a PB on the posts, but this is my relaxing time. ;) I can't really nap (or do anything else) when DS naps because we are currently potty-training, and I keep hearing, "Mommy, I ...." (you get the picture!) So, this is easy to start and stop, and start and stop... :rotfl2: Great job on your workout, by the way!!

Kim (k hase)- Good to hear from you, but so sorry about your tendonitis! I hope you are up and about soon!!!

Kim (kimwim8) - Welcome!!! :welcome: Glad you are here!!! You are doing awesome on your training! Please keep us updated on your progress!!!

Kevin - Grest job on the workout! It was snowing there??????? I'm sure the northerners have NO sympathy for me, but it has been sweltering here - can I trade just for one day??? :rotfl:

Well, I'm off to cook dinner. Hope everyone has a great afternoon!

--Lynnda :teeth:

Welcome Kim!!!!!

Solo - We'll be expecting to hear that you ran tomorrow. ;)

Amy - No info on the shoes, but I hope you're feeling better soon. Oh, I wish I could have seen you take the lady in the store out. Does that mean I have anger issues too?

Lynnda - Meant to send you a pm, pics came out great. You must have one heck of a camera! Thanks! BTW - I get to trade a 20 , windy adn icy fo ryour too hot day, but you know what? We'd both still be miserable. :guilty:

DAve Socks look great to me!

Kim_h - That tendonitits is a killer! take it easy.

louisianagal - That's a new one, but desperate times call for desparate measure. :rotfl2:

Isn't Cam back yet???

solotraveler said:
Sunny-- I think 9:00 for 400 meters is just fine. Since you are taking lessons (I seem to remember), that should help a lot too. It's amazing what little changes in your form can to for your speed. I will refrain for posting my 400 meter swim time.... :teeth:

Kevin (Solotraveler) :earsboy:

Ah c'mon, Speedy, don't be shy! I wanna know!!!!! Actually the lessons turned out to be a bust. I missed the first due to stupidity, went to the second and then missed 3rd & 4th due to work and felt like it would be rude to show up for 5 & 6 at that point. Maybe I'll try again.

Lynda-- you brought up an exellent point newbies should heed: Force yourself to take a short easy run for the pure joy of it. Especially as training kicks into high gear, its so easy to get obsessed over improving speed and distance that all the fun is drained. I did a few (not enough) easy runs with NO GARMIN, no exact knowledge of time or distance and they were pure joy. Keep it in mind :thumbsup2

So I'm looking at the map to figure out where in the world Stillwater, OK is and I discover-- no where! (Sorry, MelR, but you're out in the boonies!!!) If my trip was a little longer (instead of ~48 hours) and on the East side of Tulsa not the West... well I'd be hiking it over to say hi. (Actually, I'd be :moped: my rental over to say hi).

I'm still at work but I'm starting to surface. Yeah me! I feel like a bear coming out of hybernation between the Spring weather and being able to breath (a little) again.

OK, so now I'm being pesty on the board again, so where's Cam, where's Heather, where are my socks, where are my underwear, what's in it for me... If someone can place that last part to a song I'll be more than amazed!!!!!!! I know my sister could :p

Sunny

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter