Winter Weather Escape to WDW and the WL ~ A January 2014 Trip Report

Hahahaha!!!
If Shelly's your TA, raise your hand!!!

:wave:

:laughing:

I think a lot of my clients are on the DIS!! :cool1: Sometimes I see them talking about me on other threads! :rotfl: And there are at least 3-4 here on my TR. :goodvibes

Your ADR's look awesome! Kona for breakfast is the one I was sad about not trying for this year. I may go for it in Dec when we are staying at VWL. I think it will be less annoying to get to the Poly from there than from the Boardwalk.

And I can't wait to hear about the Frozen event! I am obsessed with that movie. :rotfl: It was SO good! Much better than I thought it would be. I listen to the soundtrack almost every day :laughing:

You can probably snag a last minute ADR at Kona for breakfast. I never have any problems getting it just about anytime I want to! :thumbsup2 I don't think we will ever take a trip without going there!!

I am embarrassed to say that I have not even seen Frozen yet. :eek: I know, can you believe that??? :confused: What can I say - I live with all boys. Enough said. :rolleyes: I will see it before our Frozen Event this summer!! ::yes:: It seems to have taken over the world! 4+ hour waits to see the characters, WDW running out of Frozen merchandise as soon as they get it, and we sold out 100 spots for our event within 24 hours. :faint: We had to change venues so that we could open it up to 50 more people!!

I like what you chose! We haven't done Kona Cafe, Tony's or San Angel Inn. Pretty good ones? I adore Teppan Edo. I hope you do too Shelly! :thumbsup2

Thanks Kelli! :goodvibes

Kona Café -- best breakfast ever!!! :thumbsup2 If you decide to take your GF trip, you'll have to go over to the Poly for a Kona breakfast. ::yes::

Tony's is your typical Italian restaurant. Cute theming. It's not a "must do", but I'm glad we are going back. San Angel is great for atmosphere alone. :) The food is pretty good too!

I shot Bob a text and asked if he wanted me to try to get Kona for breakfast this trip and his response was "UMMM.... YES!" :rotfl:

So, we're now going on our 'free day' at 9:30am. :cool1: I figured that was late enough that it shouldn't be too annoying to try to get over there from the Boardwalk. (I hope.... :eek: )

And guess I can't say I'm surprised you haven't seen Frozen yet because of the boys - but it was pretty great! :thumbsup2 It's one of those movies that got better the more I thought about it afterward (and obsessively listened to the soundtrack :rolleyes1 )

Yay for Kona!!! :yay:
We always go on our day that we go to Epcot later in the afternoon. It works out well that way. Except this trip, we're going on the day we go to MNSSHP!!:cool1::cool1:

Kona- pool- relax- ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.pixiedust:

I shot Bob a text and asked if he wanted me to try to get Kona for breakfast this trip and his response was "UMMM.... YES!" :rotfl:

So, we're now going on our 'free day' at 9:30am. :cool1: I figured that was late enough that it shouldn't be too annoying to try to get over there from the Boardwalk. (I hope.... :eek: )

And guess I can't say I'm surprised you haven't seen Frozen yet because of the boys - but it was pretty great! :thumbsup2 It's one of those movies that got better the more I thought about it afterward (and obsessively listened to the soundtrack :rolleyes1 )

I knew I could talk you into it!! :thumbsup2

I WILL see Frozen one day soon! ::yes::

We always go on our day that we go to Epcot later in the afternoon. It works out well that way. Except this trip, we're going on the day we go to MNSSHP!!:cool1::cool1:

We usually do Kona on a late arrival day for MK or Epcot. :goodvibes

This time it's supposed to be a no park day. Kona, cabana, DTD. :cloud9:

:confused:

I will never understand parents who allow their kids to act like wild animals at a restaurant, or anywhere for that matter. Are they afraid their kids won't like them if they tell them to sit down and to behave? My kids can hate my guts inside and out all they want to but I'll be danged if I'll have a herd of cattle running around with my last name attached to them and my gene pool showing on their little angelic faces. Lord have mercy.:crazy2:

Our first trip to LTT was when my kids were small and the characters were still there. Minnie Mouse came walking up to our table and before she could stop, this kid from the table next to us leapt from off of her chair and soared thru the air, arms outstretched and grabbed hold of Minnies nose and hung there like she was dang Mary Lou Retton on the uneven bars in the Olympics, legs swinging with her yelling WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE while Minnie Mouse grabbed her head and almost fell down.

And the child was no gymnast, bless her heart. She looked like she'd had a few biscuits in her short time on this earth, and yelled hey mom look at meeeee! While the mother sat there grinning like a mule eating briars and took pictures of the entire sequence of events.

You know I didn't keep my mouth closed girl.:rolleyes1

Almost gave new meaning to the name LIBERTY Tree Tavern. Umm Humm. 'Fo 'Sho.::yes::

Oh my goodness you had me rolling on the ground with laughter :rotfl: with your story! Mary Lou Retton:lmao: Seriously what is with people? Sometimes I just want to walk up to parents and shake em real hard and yell wake up! Glad to see I am not the only one:thumbsup2

Ooohh your ADR's look good:thumbsup2 sorry that you had such a pain with getting the site to work for you:badpc:dang Disney technology bleh:crazy2:
Six months...eeekkk!!! We are venturing out to Disneyland for the first time ever this July and I am so excited and yet so confused at the same time:confused3 but we figured we would change it up a bit this year and not do WDW until next May...so CA here we come!!!

Ooohh your ADR's look good:thumbsup2 sorry that you had such a pain with getting the site to work for you:badpc:dang Disney technology bleh:crazy2:
Six months...eeekkk!!! We are venturing out to Disneyland for the first time ever this July and I am so excited and yet so confused at the same time:confused3 but we figured we would change it up a bit this year and not do WDW until next May...so CA here we come!!!

Thanks! :goodvibes

I'll never understand how such a great company can have such poor technology. :confused: Their website is always slow and there always seems to be "glitches".

Congrats on your first DL trip!! :cool1: That was our plan for this summer, but we couldn't pass up our agency offer for WDW for August, plus the agency dinner/event. So, maybe we'll make it out to DL next summer! :wizard:

I knew I could talk you into it!! :thumbsup2

I WILL see Frozen one day soon! ::yes::

We usually do Kona on a late arrival day for MK or Epcot. :goodvibes

This time it's supposed to be a no park day. Kona, cabana, DTD. :cloud9:

Looks like we are doing kind of a combo of what you guys are doing :goodvibes

I think we will more than likely do Kona for breakfast, DTD in the afternoon and then Epcot in the evening again. I'm trying to take advantage of the fact that we can walk back to the Boardwalk after Epcot, and planned (at least) 2evenings there. :cool1:

Looks like we are doing kind of a combo of what you guys are do :goodvibes

I think we will more than likely do Kona for breakfast, DTD in the afternoon and then Epcot in the evening again. I'm trying to take advantage of the fact that we can walk back to the Boardwalk after Epcot, and planned (at least) 2evenings there. :cool1:

It is SO convenient to walk to Epcot when staying at the BWI/YC/BC. When we stay at any of those resorts we always plan for 3-4 Epcot days!! :goodvibes

It is SO convenient to walk to Epcot when staying at the BWI/YC/BC. When we stay at any of those resorts we always plan for 3-4 Epcot days!! :goodvibes

After three stays at the WL we are back at the BC in a few weeks. We will drop into Epcot every day, especially since they have the food booths at the Flower and Garden Show. :goodvibes

Sunday January 26

Sometime around about 5am DH wanted to take me to an Urgent Care or some kind of hospital. I assured him that I would be okay and that wasn’t necessary. He tends to think things like that are way worse than they actually are. Maybe because in the 17 years I have known him he has only ever thrown up once. :confused3 I told him I was pretty sure I was going to live, and that I just needed to lay there very still and try to get some sleep. At this point both kids were on the floor and he was in one bed and I was in another. And you all know how well trying to get some sleep went – not very!! Like I said – at 7am on Sunday morning we were rudely woke up by the sounds of LOUD back up beeping. BEEP BEEP BEEP :faint: I gave up at that point. We all started to get up at. We turned the lights and tv on. DH said he was going to cancel our 10am Kona reservation. DS12 was sad, but said it was okay that we could go to Capt. Cook’s later in the week for Tonga Toast! I told them that wasn’t necessary and that I was pretty sure I was going to be fine. And if I wasn’t, they could all go without me.

I got a shower and started to feel better. DH went in for his shower and got cold water again. He did a quick rinse off and then told me how he had very little hot water the night before and now didn’t have any. And the kids wanted to shower as well. At about 8:30am he called maintenance and told them about the hot water issues. They were aware and said it would be fixed in a few hours.

Looked outside and yep, the view was still bad!! :laughing: But I was certain we would be able to see Wishes from there.

DisneyJanuary2014117_zps058a7506.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014123_zps20d4003a.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014124_zps7aa1a55d.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014127_zps838dc501.jpg

So we got ready and headed out.

Elevator pics ~

DisneyJanuary2014128_zpsa2d0dc94.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014129_zpsd221258e.jpg

We decided to take the boat to the CR, since it was so quick the night before. And then the monorail to the Poly.

DisneyJanuary2014130_zps0de853a3.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014131_zps22f5376a.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014132_zpsfe3941c8.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014133_zps0b6fed1a.jpg

We really should have taken a bus to MK and then the monorail to the Poly. The boat ride as much longer this time because we had to go to Ft. Wilderness first. Where no one even got on the boat. We had the time to spare, but it was chilly!

DisneyJanuary2014134_zpsa2655804.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014135_zps0271604e.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014136_zps69f9faf3.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014137_zps609e0479.jpg

Continued in next post....

Continued...

We took the escalator in the CR to get up to the monorail. DS14 thought he was funny taking the stairs right beside us.

DisneyJanuary2014138_zps100ef424.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014139_zps9c53e929.jpg

We hoped on the monorail and were to the Poly in no time. :cloud9: LOVE this resort!!

DisneyJanuary2014140_zps0f103ba8.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014141_zps7fa5e9b0.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014142_zps92d768cc.jpg

We checked in and were given a buzzer. We had to wait about 15 minutes before being seated.

DisneyJanuary2014144_zpsd13ed782.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014146_zps17f1da07.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014147_zps59ffe305.jpg

DS12 and I both ordered the Tonga Toast of course! DH and DS14 both ordered the Big Kahuna. DS got his pancakes plain though.

DisneyJanuary2014148_zps60f8ecf0.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014149_zps4ea92e05.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014150_zpse2cb4acf.jpg

My stomach was still a bit queasy from the night before, so I only ate about half of my Tonga Toast. I’m surprised I was able to eat anything really!!

DS12 on the other hand, finished every last bite of his!!

DisneyJanuary2014151_zpsa7bc4741.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014152_zps00448da2.jpg

Everything was pretty good. Service was very slow this time though. DS12 didn’t like his orange juice because it had too much pulp in it. It’s usually okay for him, so I think it was just a fluke. DH was a bit put off because they have always left a pot of coffee on the table for him, but didn’t this time. He had to sit there waiting for refills through most of his meal.

Everybody left there completely stuffed!!

Up Next: Checking out the Poly construction

I read the update before the latest one but didn't stop to post. It certainly sounds like you got a case of food poisoning at Chef Mickey's. It sucks being sick but it's even suckier when you are sick while on vacation. :sad1:

Poor ya'll having to wake up to the beep beep beeping. Somebody over on the resorts board was asking about whether or not it was worth it to go from a preferred room at the CBR to a standard room at the WL. I almost pointed them to your trip report to have a look for themselves but didn't.

I was glad to read that you were feeling well enough to make it to your breakfast. We booked a breakfast ADR at Kona and, after looking at your pictures, I'm super glad that we did. Breakfast looks delicious there.

You are such a trooper, getting up and out to breakfast after such an awful night!! I don't know how you did it.

The breeze on the boat, while cool, probably helped you to clear out the cobwebs some. My brain is always so fuzzy after being sick.
Speaking of that, your DH was so sweet to want to take you in to an urgent care. They don't know what to do with themselves when Mama is down. M always lies on the floor next to the bed when I am sick and won't leave, no matter how long it is. Maybe it's because I have been known to pass out. :p :crazy2:

I'm so glad that it was a short lived sickness and not a long one. For sure sounds like you were on the mend, though with the tonga toast.

:cheer2:

And holy cow-- how did your DS eat all of that??? He is growing too big!

That pic of your DH and DS14 in the elevator is hysterical!!:rotfl2:
Too funny!!

I will miss the waterfall at the Poly. :sad:

Wow your ADR's sound great! I need to make our in April and may consider Tony's as we've never been before.

Im sorry you got sick, but glad you felt well enough to make it over to Kona. Love the breakfast there too!

I read the update before the latest one but didn't stop to post. It certainly sounds like you got a case of food poisoning at Chef Mickey's. It sucks being sick but it's even suckier when you are sick while on vacation. :sad1:

Poor ya'll having to wake up to the beep beep beeping. Somebody over on the resorts board was asking about whether or not it was worth it to go from a preferred room at the CBR to a standard room at the WL. I almost pointed them to your trip report to have a look for themselves but didn't.

I was glad to read that you were feeling well enough to make it to your breakfast. We booked a breakfast ADR at Kona and, after looking at your pictures, I'm super glad that we did. Breakfast looks delicious there.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it had to be food poisoning. :confused3 I'm just glad I recovered so quickly.

I would pick any room at CBR over a standard room at WL any day!!! ::yes:: In fact, we spent most of the week wishing we were at CBR instead.

Hope you love Kona as much as we do! :wizard:

You are such a trooper, getting up and out to breakfast after such an awful night!! I don't know how you did it.

The breeze on the boat, while cool, probably helped you to clear out the cobwebs some. My brain is always so fuzzy after being sick.
Speaking of that, your DH was so sweet to want to take you in to an urgent care. They don't know what to do with themselves when Mama is down. M always lies on the floor next to the bed when I am sick and won't leave, no matter how long it is. Maybe it's because I have been known to pass out. :p :crazy2:

I'm so glad that it was a short lived sickness and not a long one. For sure sounds like you were on the mend, though with the tonga toast.

:cheer2:

And holy cow-- how did your DS eat all of that??? He is growing too big!

That pic of your DH and DS14 in the elevator is hysterical!!:rotfl2:
Too funny!!

I will miss the waterfall at the Poly. :sad:

I don't know how I did it either. Must have been Disney magic!! pixiedust:
:rotfl:

It was awful having everyone all right there in the room when I was sick. I prefer to be alone when I'm sick!!

IDK how DS12 ate all that. :faint: I'm pretty sure I've never finished an entire Tonga Toast!! He loves it! :goodvibes

DS14 and his faces. :eek::rolleyes::rotfl: He keeps us entertained.

I'll miss the waterfall too. I wish they would just leave the Poly alone! :headache:

Wow your ADR's sound great! I need to make our in April and may consider Tony's as we've never been before.

Im sorry you got sick, but glad you felt well enough to make it over to Kona. Love the breakfast there too!

Thanks! Tony's is pretty good, you might want to consider it. :thumbsup2

Kona breakfast is the best, and I don't even normally eat breakfast!

Love me some tonga toast!!

I am thinking about staying at the WL when I go to celebrate my 50th bday in Jan 2015--now rethinking it.

On all of our trips to WL, the MK boat always went straight to MK. But in this last trip I noticed that some of the MK boats were going to FW first. Luckily, we had just missed one of those boats and were able to get on a direct boat.

I'm glad that you felt better the next morning. But how annoying not to have hot water in the morning. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter