Wine & Dine 1/2 marathon weekend 2021

Anneeb, if there is a weather event or something that delayed many flights into Orlando they would likely allow race day pick-up.
They have in the past.
That said, they don't do that just because an individual cut it too close.
Peace of mind is worth the price of admission.
I can't imagine how much stress it would be to sit on an airport runway and having no control of anything.
To bib or not to bib early, that is the question...

For the 2020 marathon, I wanted something that was easy and comfortable. I went with an Under Armour Captain America compression shirt. UA discontinued these "alter ego" shirts several years ago and they were only for a few characters - some Marvel, some DC and a few Star Wars. I got my Cap shirt on eBay. But I also found you can get Asian knock off shirts for just about every other Marvel character on Amazon. It is not a very creative costume, and the shirts aren't as good a quality as UA, but they work, it is easy, and they are great to run in - especially for the longer races.

At this time, I am planning on Thanos for the 10K and the Winter Soldier for the half - both just Asian knock off tech shirts. For the 10K, I may also include an Infinity Gauntlet (basically a yellow glove on my left hand). For 5K I am still up in the air. I plan to do this race with my wife and we can definitely be more creative since it is only a 5K. We may do Loki and Sylvie or maybe something non Marvel. In general, Disney villain couples costumes seem to be harder than non villain Disney couples costumes.
Loki and Sylvie would be great and original.

I’m trying to figure out an ADR for after the half. When do the races typically end? I’m wondering if I book an ADR for 12:30 if I’d be cutting it too close. I’m hoping to finish the half in under 2.5hrs

I’m trying to figure out an ADR for after the half. When do the races typically end? I’m wondering if I book an ADR for 12:30 if I’d be cutting it too close. I’m hoping to finish the half in under 2.5hrs
You should be fine for 12:30. We were back to our resort and eating second breakfast by 10:30 after our last HM. If there are significant travel logistics, obviously take those into account, but if you were going somewhere at or close to your resort or DS, you should have plenty of time. I might not chance a park ADR just because I don’t like feeling rushed, but that’s just me. I also feel super lazy after a long early morning race, so I’ll probably stick to the resort.

You should be fine for 12:30. We were back to our resort and eating second breakfast by 10:30 after our last HM. If there are significant travel logistics, obviously take those into account, but if you were going somewhere at or close to your resort or DS, you should have plenty of time. I might not chance a park ADR just because I don’t like feeling rushed, but that’s just me. I also feel super lazy after a long early morning race, so I’ll probably stick to the resort.
Were staying at BCV and planning on ADR at RIV, so I’m thinking travel time shouldn’t be too long

Race starts at 5am and presumed last to start would be 6am. So assuming you are last to start, you would finish around 8:30am. Give 45 min for getting through the finish line area onto the buses (now 9:15am). Back to resort (9:35-9:45am). So that leaves you roughly 2.5-3 hours between the moment you'd get back to the resort to turn around and make an ADR at RIV. Seems completely doable to me.

Race starts at 5am and presumed last to start would be 6am. So assuming you are last to start, you would finish around 8:30am. Give 45 min for getting through the finish line area onto the buses (now 9:15am). Back to resort (9:35-9:45am). So that leaves you roughly 2.5-3 hours between the moment you'd get back to the resort to turn around and make an ADR at RIV. Seems completely doable to me.

Excellent advice. I just pushed our Wine Bar George res back from 10:30 to 11:30 so that we have sufficient post-race nap time XD

The reason being because I have been slower than ever during this training and cannot figure out why - I can't seem to break through 13" miles when previously I was doing 11:30"-12". I'm properly fueling pre-run and it hasn't been very hot - what am I doing wrong? Do I just need to push myself harder?

The reason being because I have been slower than ever during this training and cannot figure out why - I can't seem to break through 13" miles when previously I was doing 11:30"-12". I'm properly fueling pre-run and it hasn't been very hot - what am I doing wrong? Do I just need to push myself harder?

Without more information, I can't say anything definitive. There are a bevy of possible explanations. Weight differences? Training plan differences? Stress/life differences? Motivation differences? Ancillary training differences? Stagnation of training from following the same routine multiple times over? Just to name a few possible explantations.

If the effort of a now 13 min/mile feels like the effort of a 11:30-12 from the past, then I wouldn't immediately assume you should push harder. You're better off in the long term to train where you are than where you want to be. It's also important to remember that when your race is and when you plan to peak is relevant to how you feel now.

From personal experience, I might look at my current training paces even corrected for T+D and assume I have no chance at meeting my November race goals (not running W&D but a local M). But history is my teacher when it comes to past training plans and I can see despite not being able to do something right now (in August) does not preclude me from being able to do it in November. The below chart is a tracking of my Garmin VO2max value from the same watch under the same settings for the last 4 years. The Garmin VO2max is a reflection of the current relationship between my HR and pace. So as my pace becomes faster at the same HR, my Garmin VO2max value will increase. Thereby with an increased pace at the same HR comes the ability to race faster. This is a numerical representation of the same concept in that where I am today does not preclude me from being somewhere else in November after good training at my current fitness pacing levels.

For those planning costumes, are you planning on wearing pants or shorts? I have no idea what to expect in terms of weather.

Im thinking of making a dress with the same fabric as Sally’s dress from NBC for the 10km, and still trying to figure out what exactly to make for the half.

For those planning costumes, are you planning on wearing pants or shorts? I have no idea what to expect in terms of weather.

Im thinking of making a dress with the same fabric as Sally’s dress from NBC for the 10km, and still trying to figure out what exactly to make for the half.
All my past W&D costumes were skorts
Anna (16’s 10k was an off the rack fila tennis skort from kohl’s)
Rapunzel (17’s 10k) belle (18s 10k) “WIR2” Elsa (19s 10k) & Roger Rabbit (19s 5K) we’re all homemade

I have no idea what to expect in terms of weather.

Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 1.38.25 PM.png

This is the historical Temperature + Dew point (in F) for November 7th in Orlando, FL during the times the race will occur. I prefer a T+D around 80 or less for racing. A T+D above 130 is noticeable. A T+D above 150 is unpleasant for most to race in. The T+D for Wine and Dine Weekend on Nov 7th is fairly consistent in noticeable weather. I pulled these from Weather Underground.

I am wearing shorts. When I did the HM in 2019 it was cool in the corrals and a throwaway shirt would be nice or some sleeves, but by race time, it was already warming up. The course had very little shade, so once the sun came up you could really feel it beating. It was quite warm the back half of the race. Also, having made several trips to WDW during November, that weather seemed pretty typical.

View attachment 597861

This is the historical Temperature + Dew point (in F) for November 7th in Orlando, FL during the times the race will occur. I prefer a T+D around 80 or less for racing. A T+D above 130 is noticeable. A T+D above 150 is unpleasant for most to race in. The T+D for Wine and Dine Weekend on Nov 7th is fairly consistent in noticeable weather. I pulled these from Weather Underground.
Thank you for that! I've never seen that as a means of looking at the weather. I just checked what it was for my run on Sunday, and it was 119, and it felt HOT. I'm not looking forward to it being even hotter in Orlando. I try to avoid running if it's hotter than 20C (68F).

Thank you for that! I've never seen that as a means of looking at the weather. I just checked what it was for my run on Sunday, and it was 119, and it felt HOT. I'm not looking forward to it being even hotter in Orlando. I try to avoid running if it's hotter than 20C (68F).

T+D is my preferred method of evaluating weather for the purpose of running. WBGT is better, but I don't have the tech for it. So T+D allows me to say whether a 70F temp + 65 F dew point is better/worse than a 85F temp + 55F dew point.

Based on the Wine and Dine historical, I would say you're going to want to prepare yourself for running in warmer than 20C temps. It was pretty much warmer than that every year on Nov 7th expect 2012/2016. So more than likely based on history you'll see those warmer temps. If you're coming from a cooler climate in Oct/Nov, then you may want to consider Heat Acclimation Training. This will help aid in that transition from cool training weather into warm racing weather. It is not fool-proof, but in my experience is helpful. And there's physiological science behind the idea revolving around the bodies adaptations to warm weather running.

Training in the cold, but racing in the heat: The need for heat acclimation

Be mindful of hypothermia during cool downs as soon as you slow your pace though. Consider dropping cool downs to a minimum during heat acclimation training.

T+D is my preferred method of evaluating weather for the purpose of running. WBGT is better, but I don't have the tech for it. So T+D allows me to say whether a 70F temp + 65 F dew point is better/worse than a 85F temp + 55F dew point.

Based on the Wine and Dine historical, I would say you're going to want to prepare yourself for running in warmer than 20C temps. It was pretty much warmer than that every year on Nov 7th expect 2012/2016. So more than likely based on history you'll see those warmer temps. If you're coming from a cooler climate in Oct/Nov, then you may want to consider Heat Acclimation Training. This will help aid in that transition from cool training weather into warm racing weather. It is not fool-proof, but in my experience is helpful. And there's physiological science behind the idea revolving around the bodies adaptations to warm weather running.

Training in the cold, but racing in the heat: The need for heat acclimation

Be mindful of hypothermia during cool downs as soon as you slow your pace though. Consider dropping cool downs to a minimum during heat acclimation training.
Thank you. I’ll have to read that. I foolishly thought the fact that the races were early, and in November, that it wouldn’t be as hot. Hopefully it’s not too cold here by November, so it won’t be as drastic of a difference (who am I kidding? We usually have snow by Halloween)

Dopeybadger I just read your post and that sound miserable lol but I guess it’s probably not much different from running in the Florida heat/humidity!

Dopeybadger I just read your post and that sound miserable lol but I guess it’s probably not much different from running in the Florida heat/humidity!

No denying that heat acclimation training is miserable. But the bright side is that it can occur during your normal taper, and it'll make the race experience that you trained for for months and spent lots of money to get to more enjoyable. But yea... it's not fun. I literally pour the sweat out of my poorly vented jacket before I walk into the house. It can simulate FL to extent, but nothing beats the real thing.

Floridian here: early Nov. down here is what the rest of the world calls "summer." Expect warm to hot, and humid. A cold front is always possible, but is probably only actually "cold" to Floridians. I've historically always worn a skirt and tank top for W&D, with a throwaway long sleeve for pre-race because by early Nov. I'm acclimated to surface-of-the-sun temps and anything under 75 feels chilly. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter