• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wine & Dine 1/2 marathon weekend 2021

I find it fascinating that all races except for the 10k are still available 8+ hours later.

I think it may be indicative of the echo chamber we live in both here and in other RunDisney social media groups. We spend so much time talking to each other about how excited we are for the races to return and how quickly we expect them to sell out that we lose sight of the fact that we’re a pretty small contingent in the grand scheme of things and not necessarily representative of the running community as a whole.

I'm clearly missing where the info is - what date does the proof of time need to be submitted by? And how far back can you go for proof of time? Not that it really matters, I don't think any of my 10k times will be good enough considering it requires a sub 2 hour half now. But just in case I can find another one to attempt a PR at....

I think it may be indicative of the echo chamber we live in both here and in other RunDisney social media groups. We spend so much time talking to each other about how excited we are for the races to return and how quickly we expect them to sell out that we lose sight of the fact that we’re a pretty small contingent in the grand scheme of things and not necessarily representative of the running community as a whole.
^^^^^^
hes-a-witch-burn-him.jpg

So excited to register for my first race! Just so happened that my sister and I were already booked at Riviera for the week. I’m going to work on getting this old body back into shape, but it’s been many, many years lol. Being a cancer and PE blood clot survivor though, it’s time to set some good, healthy goals for myself 😊

I'm clearly missing where the info is - what date does the proof of time need to be submitted by? And how far back can you go for proof of time? Not that it really matters, I don't think any of my 10k times will be good enough considering it requires a sub 2 hour half now. But just in case I can find another one to attempt a PR at....

It goes back to January 2019 and I believe you have until the end of this month to GET a new pot, and it had to be submitted by mid August. I know it’s somewhere on the website.

There are very extensive sections on Proof of Time and associated dates on the RunDisney site under both the Half Marathon and Challenge event tabs.

Does anyone have an idea of the Expo hours? We are trying to change our flights and want to make sure we get there in time on Friday to be ready for the challenge. It looks like in the past it has been open until 7ish.

I’m late in posting. I got registered for the challenge and 5K and got DW registered for the 5K. I had 2 laptops, an iPad and iPhone all ready for the madness. I was surprised how smoothly it went like many of you were. Also shocked that there’s still openings. Thankfully we have POP reserved for the race so we’re set. Just have to get post race party ticket for DW.

Now we wait for the madness on the 27th. I agree with @CP3uhoh about it being a big hit to the wallet. Dopey will be a one and done deal for us, as W&D is our tradition....but I’ve said “one and done” so many times before I should stop saying it!

I think the echo chamber point is a good one. I also wonder if it is easier to get dual sign ups for W&D and MW when the registrations are further apart. If you’re signing up for the challenge and Dopey, that’s a $1,000 in two weeks.
And we didn’t even know for sure that this race was happening until 4-ish months out. Most people need time to plan for a trip to WDW and maybe even more so if you’ve never done a race weekend before. The short turn-around on this one may have dampened registrations a little. I‘m still anticipating stressful race sign-ups and sell-outs for the next few since people will have time to plan to do those races. It will be interesting to see how long those spots last. I would have signed up for the 5k too if I could have gotten a couple extra days off work, but with the short notice, couldn’t make those days happen.

Almost 24 hours since registration opened and all but the 10K are still available! I have to think there's a LOT more hesitation and uncertainty about the future than is being reported/discussed. Is it possible that with the reduction of charity bibs there are that many more bibs available for general registration??

Almost 24 hours since registration opened and all but the 10K are still available! I have to think there's a LOT more hesitation and uncertainty about the future than is being reported/discussed. Is it possible that with the reduction of charity bibs there are that many more bibs available for general registration??
I think there are a number of factors. I don't know if there was as much a reduction in charity bibs as there was a redistribution of more bibs to fewer charities. But there was a lack of TA bibs. I also think there was a late race announcement with people already having other races/trips/vacations booked, a lack of rooms available on property due to the 50th, post-COVID hesitancy, a repurposed theme, and a lack of international runners due to unknowns with travel restrictions. Races also don't always sell out quickly.

I will say that I don't think this is necessarily indicative of what Marathon or Princess registration will be like and those may go quicker due to the longer time period between announcement, registration, and actual race weekend.

I'll throw out another theory for lack of sellouts so far. I think most of us agree that these races are often the "first" or entry level races who pick up distance running later in life especially. The pandemic probably put some people on the sideline right now that might have picked this up over the past year or so. Also, given the short turnaround it's hard to go from 0 to properly trained whereas before you had a couple of months at least to sort of train to train, if you will. But half for Marathon weekend wouldn't have to start now so we'll see. Having no idea how many international runners there are usually, I would say that's a factor too. I wouldn't book for the fall if I lived overseas just because you have no idea what restrictions might be in place.

Speaking as someone who was slightly tempted to sign up for this one (I had two race weekends cancelled on me so getting the first race weekend back was definitely possible), but decided to go with MW instead:

- I'm concerned with how crazy it'll be in November as opposed to early January, with everything going on
- On-site hotel options are VERY limited at the moment, so if you didn't plan ahead and still want to do this, it's a bit of a tough spot
- That this race is happening at all is a bit of a surprise, given how long they waited until announcing that it was coming back. Maybe people who may have been interested bailed as RD kept delaying an announcement on this weekend?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter