Will you cruise if face masks are required on board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you and I have sparred here in the past, but I want to offer this--kindly--for your consideration. Your comment about empathy is interesting and I'd ask you to consider the possibility that you, too, lack empathy.

People wear these (god-awful) masks to protect those around us, not to protect ourselves. You've said before that you and your spouse only visit businesses that don't enforce your local mask mandate and that you frequently dine out. This puts you at a much higher risk of contracting the virus. By not wearing a mask, you are much more likely to spread it after you've caught it. Your extended family probably didn't invite you to their Christmas celebrations because your choices make them scared to be around you. If you would sacrifice by (1) wearing a mask, (2) social distancing, and (3) avoiding public spaces in accordance with CDC guidelines, then I suspect that your loved ones would be more comfortable being near you.

I'm not saying this to be combative, but please consider the possibility that you might be in the wrong, that your stance on this is frightening to the people you care about, and that your actions could harm others.
Thanks. I've considered all of those things.

Once the rules are posted we can answer this better.

It could be as simple as:
"Masks are encouraged when moving throughout the ship when unable to social distance."

Or:
"Masks are required in all parts of the ship. The only exceptions are the cabins. All food and drink must be consumed in cabins."

What I don't understand is people who are very adamant that masks are needed for safety but are okay with exceptions for dining and around pools. That is like saying seatbelts must be warn while driving unless you are listening to classical music.
I agree. The gaps in consistency of the various mask mandates cause one to wonder what the real objectives are.

Last reminder to belay the generic mask talk. Any further posts that are off topic in this specific thread will be deleted as I have asked nicely twice now.

We are booked this November, but if masks are being required full-time on ships we will likely postpone. Like others, I don't object to mask wearing if required for daily life but not going to do it on a vacation I'm paying thousands of dollars for. We'll rent a house at the beach and save cruising for when things get better. Also in favor of mandatory vaccines to cruise!

Honestly at this point I am fine with wearing a mask on board if the science backs it up at the time. The science is there now and until the vaccine takes hold it will likely be a thing for quite a while. I guess some countries are so used to wearing masks regularly that it isn't a thing to them, where as in the US it is definitely not our normal and people are tiring of it or never liked it in the first place. I have gotten used to it and don't see it as a huge deal anymore. The cruise lines just have some logistics to nail down once they start sailing, that I am sure all lines will figure out when it is time to get going again.

We are booked this November, but if masks are being required full-time on ships we will likely postpone. Like others, I don't object to mask wearing if required for daily life but not going to do it on a vacation I'm paying thousands of dollars for. We'll rent a house at the beach and save cruising for when things get better. Also in favor of mandatory vaccines to cruise!

The mandatory vaccine can't be a thing. I believe that there will be a segment of the population that have immune system issues that won't be able to get it, that live perfectly normal lives and cruise often. It will just mean the rest of us need to get it to protect them.

The mandatory vaccine can't be a thing. I believe that there will be a segment of the population that have immune system issues that won't be able to get it, that live perfectly normal lives and cruise often. It will just mean the rest of us need to get it to protect them.
You are absolutely correct. I hadn't thought of that.

Honestly at this point I am fine with wearing a mask on board if the science backs it up at the time.
Now that almost everyone is convinced that masks slow the spread of viruses, "the science" will always back up continuing to wear masks. That is, unless all communicable viruses have been permanently eradicated, we come to some consensus as to how much risk is acceptable, or we get some new science.

I'm crew. And if wearing a mask means I can get back to the job I love I'm all for it!
I'd never worn a mask until March, and now I don't notice it (if I'm wearing the right ones.)

If you, as guests, wearing a mask means that we're less likely to get quarantined and more likely let into other countries and continue with regular activities onboard, you bet I'm gonna be on at you to get it over your nose 😉

Atm, I work 2 jobs that require me to wear masks. I get there by public transport which requires a mask. I'm only really home to eat and sleep and thats when I don't wear one. I really don't notice it anymore.

A mask really isn't the end of the world. It doesn't stop your 'freedom' if anything the way the whole world (its not just the USA) is they actually give you freedom, but some are do anti they won't ever see that...

Right now I'd do anything to get back on board even if that means wearing a hazmat suit, goggles and moon boots!

Being willing to wear a mask onboard doesn't make me a sheep or anything else, it just means life right now is the worst its been in a long time and I want my 'normal' back.

In my opinion I do not believe that this is true. In the beginning I think that cruise lines will require that you are vaccinated to cruise, no exceptions. Now eventually they will lift this restriction, once a certain percentage of the population is vaccinated. If you have a medical condition that prevents you from getting the vaccine then you will not cruise until the restriction is lifted. I base this on the fact that Disney grants no exceptions to the mask rule. The government won't mandate it, but private industry will. Just my opinion though.

In my opinion I do not believe that this is true. In the beginning I think that cruise lines will require that you are vaccinated to cruise, no exceptions.
Disney can't mandate it without exceptions, because their core demographic, children, isn't even allowed to get the vaccine. So there goes the concept of a fully vaccinated cruise.

Disney will undoubtedly mandate it of their staff, but not guests. They won't resume cruising until vaccination is widespread in the U.S. (very late 2021 or early 2022), so that will be enough for them to relax their restrictions.

In my opinion I do not believe that this is true. In the beginning I think that cruise lines will require that you are vaccinated to cruise, no exceptions. Now eventually they will lift this restriction, once a certain percentage of the population is vaccinated. If you have a medical condition that prevents you from getting the vaccine then you will not cruise until the restriction is lifted. I base this on the fact that Disney grants no exceptions to the mask rule. The government won't mandate it, but private industry will. Just my opinion though.

Time will tell and they do open themselves up to lawsuits on this. I am talking real issue here not anti vaccine people. I know people that can’t get the flu vaccine. Time will tell if they can do this vaccine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!