Will USA based cruises be the last to restart?

I can't imagine Disney fully staffing a ship with CM and supplies for four cruises. We're booked on the 9/11/21 British Isles Cruise, but not counting on it happening.
Yeah. The TA would not be permitted passengers because of the 7 night rule that will be in effect, so moving the Magic is going to be a deadhead. I could see them staffing it for the deadhead and using it as training time potentially.

But that depends on what sort of quarantine and testing would be required on the US side doing that. Operationally if they are going to bring the Magic back to Miami and operate her this winter from Miami they may be better off staffing her from the US for compliance purposes.

I don't think DCL will bring the ship back to USA. I think they will do one of these options
  • Cancel the last 4 European cruises and keep the ship empty in Dover for winter , the same as they have done this year
  • Cancel the last 4 European cruises and replace them with a new Autumn / winter season for UK or European residents, with round trip cruises to nowhere itineraries.

At some point, they need to resume normal itineraries. Ive said that for at least the first 2-3 months of cruising, I expect the itineraries will be different. maybe drastically modified (Cruises to nowhere, country locked sailings, etc). But once thats done - they need to get back to sailing the planned itineraries that people have paid for.....so to that end, the Magic has to return to the US - either this fall or winter. If you keep it mothballed in Europe until next summer - I think the financial repercussions will be too much for even DCL to bear.

I don't think DCL will bring the ship back to USA. I think they will do one of these options
  • Cancel the last 4 European cruises and keep the ship empty in Dover for winter , the same as they have done this year
  • Cancel the last 4 European cruises and replace them with a new Autumn / winter season for UK or European residents, with round trip cruises to nowhere itineraries.

DCL doesn't sail in the winter in Europe. They won't ever start new sailings in the automn/winter. It's too cold.
The chances of DCL sailing this year in general are slim to none regardless of itinerary.
It's zero for Europe and < 10% from the USA.

DCL doesn't sail in the winter in Europe. They won't ever start new sailings in the automn/winter. It's too cold.
The chances of DCL sailing this year in general are slim to none regardless of itinerary.
It's zero for Europe and < 10% from the USA.

Too cold, really??? The winter Mediterranean season was huge before Covid, just like winter Caribbean / Bahama cruises season. DCL have 2 home ports, Dover England and Barcelona in Spain. Just like Royal Caribbean are doing, DCL could if they wanted to , do winter Mediterranean round trip cruises to no where from Barcelona.

Too cold, really??? The winter Mediterranean season was huge before Covid, just like winter Caribbean / Bahama cruises season. DCL have 2 home ports, Dover England and Barcelona in Spain. Just like Royal Caribbean are doing, DCL could if they wanted to , do winter Mediterranean round trip cruises to no where from Barcelona.

Yes, really. It's 14deg now in Barcelona, and it's almost spring. That's cold for cruising.
Average HIGH temperatures in Barcelona from November-February is 16 degrees.
The Bahamas is 20 degrees average during the same time. And that's still cool.
Anyways, irrelevant point. Won't ever happen, otherwise DCL would've done it in past years.

I don't expect any cruising by DCL in Europe in 2021. I think there is still a chance they cruise in the US at some point in 2021 towards the end of the year.

Also wild guess but is the ship in Europe still in case its easier to get the crew out of Europe then flying in to the US?

I know certain people want to point to all these options but there is no reason for Disney to be aggressive in moving forward over 4 cruises at this point when its likely such a small amount of money in comparison to the larger picture. These other cruise lines are forced to just push forward based on the financials.

I still stand by Disney will not require vaccines (the country they are sailing in/out of may though) and that the potential of any even tiny outbreak on a ship would potentially set them back in the US when they want to start up their larger cruises.

I am just guessing, everyone here has cruised way more than me and knows way more about what is likely going on with their policies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter