• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why have you NOT bought DVC?

whether or not DVC makes sense for anyone is a personal decision based on what they like/need & how they vacation.

For us - we vacation at Disney once or more per year, about a week at a time, deluxe resorts. A kitchenette makes tons of sense (fussy eaters), so we're looking at DVC units right there. I also don't like staying offsite - If I did, my parents live right down the road & I can stay there for free with only the cost of a car rental & gas. I go to Disney not so much for the theme parks as for the environment. I don't see the way we vacation changing anytime in the near future even with the cost of transportation increasing as it's how I choose, and love to spend my free time. I'll just have to plan to offset the increased cost in my budgeting.

Why have I not bought in yet? I really want to pay it off in cash up front and am saving up. DVC to me is not real estate, just reserved vacations with maintenance fees. I don't ever want to finance my vacations (although I might consider tossing it on a points-earning charge card and then pay it off right away ;)) Until I get to the point of purchase, and assuming I still want to, I'll be watching the rent board & deals Disney has.

We haven't bought in because of money money money!!!! The costs are so high that to come out ahead we would have to tie ourselves down every year to just Disney, pay extra fees, etc etc etc. I'm a super planner and budgeter and I can do so well planning on my own versus buying into DVC and comparing to their annual costs. It just doesn't work for us right now.

Our "kids" are currently 20 and 24 so maybe when the grandbabes come along we'll say the heck with it and buy in knowing there will be years we'll just let the kids go and have their own trips, but even then....its a lot of money!

....I for one and very happy I am not locked into travel but have the freedom to go or not go based on my personal economy....

I understand you feel that DVC does not fit into the way you like to vacation and most likely would not be a good choice for you.

But for a lot of people it is a good plan.
People need to evaluate how and where they like to spend their vacations and if DVC is something their family wants and would use and is affordable to them.

Even free dining which can save families a lot of money is not for everyone.
Some guests cannot or do not want to take children out of school.
Some guests do not want to visit during the hot months free dining is offered.
Some guests choose a discount on their room instead of free dining.
Some guests do not want to bother booking ADR's so far ahead.
It does not mean that free dining is a bad choice.
A lot of people look forward to free dining and it can save many guests a lot of money.

Just my 2 cents

For my DW and I, DVC just isn't worth it. We go once a year and stay at a value, usually Pop, so the $$$ for DVC just doesn't make sense. :confused3

Our "kids" are currently 20 and 24 so maybe when the grandbabes come along we'll say the heck with it and buy in knowing there will be years we'll just let the kids go and have their own trips, but even then....its a lot of money!

These are great reason Mskayjay, they just made me giggle because since my "babies" are grown, we go to wdw now more than ever. ;) ( I just got back from a 6 day girls only trip that we called "Geriatric girls gone wild") That was sort of a side perk, we just knew we wouldn't go back once the kids grew tired of it. Now we actually get a little pissed if they do want to go. :rotfl:
We plan on buying more points once the contemprory dvc opens up.

Many happy vacations what ever or where ever you go.

We haven't bought DVC for a few reasons. We would have to finance it, and that makes it alot harder for us to swing. We'd have to pay each month for the DVC, and THEN have to come up with the rest of the trip money. That's not easy for us to do...
My parents own DVC, so every other trip (or so) we get to go with them....
When we don't go with them, we stay at the value resorts. Yes, we don't have nearly as much space, no kitchen, no in room laundry, etc, but we're ok with it for now.
In a few years? Hopefully. We're going to try putting aside some money each month. Unfortunately, it'll probably end up going toward a car....lol.:confused3

I haven't read the whole thread but here's my reasoning. I've based it all on the math, where I like to stay and how often I'd like to visit.

Initial investment in DVC would be at least $15,000. That would get me about enough for 2 weeks in a studio at OKW per year.

DVC fees would be over $700.00 per year.

Take the $15,000 and divide by 40 years makes that $375 per year.

Assume I'd get back about 5% a year if I invested that $15,000 in a safe place. That would be another $750 a year.

So a 2 week vacation in the oldest studio DVC during value season for $1875. For that same $1875 I could have stayed at CSR for 19 nights last year based on the price I paid for my last trip. Or I could have stayed at Pop Century for probably 25 nights.

Now some of you will say that you get so much more at OKW compared to CSR or PC. But I never used a kitchen when I was on vacation. I travel alone now a days so the extra space isn't needed. To me the location of OKW is the same as CSR or PC since all of them are a bus ride to a park.

The only way I'd consider DVC is to maybe buy Vero Beach and trade into some of the better places on-site at WDW.

But I still think about buying DVC just because of the warm-fuzzies I'd get from owning there. ::yes::

BigGreen72 : For my DW and I, DVC just isn't worth it. We go once a year and stay at a value, usually Pop, so the $$$ for DVC just doesn't make sense.
You are right BigGreen....for you and your wife, DVC doesn't make sense. For families like mine of 5, 6 or 7 people....it most certainly does make ALOT of sense. But we all know what works for our individual needs.

There are better deals outside Disney, I can stay at SoG, if I buy now I'll be 105 at the end of the term -- those are some of the reasons. BUT, I wish I had bought 20 years ago-- it would have made sense then

We go to WDW a lot (like 8 weekends a year), and we usually stay at Values. But even more important than that, we tend to be fairly spontaneous and would not like a contract for a time share that requires us to book months and months ahead to be assured of a room.

and would not like a contract for a time share that requires us to book months and months ahead to be assured of a room.
I have booked 30 -45 days in advance and even was able to add-on days just a couple of weeks before check-in with DVC.
If you're not particular about which DVC you want to stay at, there is usually one or two that have last minute rooms. Of course, busy holidays would be difficult, but even regular disney hotel rooms will be full in that situation (i.e.Christmas week, New Years, Spring Break, Pres Week, Easter etc). My friend, couldn't for the life of her, get a disney room anywhere for the first week of Dec in 2006. She tried about 60 days prior to check-in. Nothing. I think we had gotten the last room at CBR that trip at maybe 65 days out. All that was left was concierge and suite villas on property---very pricey. But I've gotten DVC rooms during non holiday times at pretty short notice. So this is another misconception held by some. Of course, DVC may still not be for you based on other reasons.....I understand there are many reasons some don't agree with it. But booking last minute (less than 45-60 days, is possible alot of times).

Wonderful Hubby and I are still figuring out how we like to travel and where. I'm enjoying Disney, but I have done/do a lot of off the beaten track international travel, no tour guide for me!

I have booked 30 -45 days in advance and even was able to add-on days just a couple of weeks before check-in with DVC.
If you're not particular about which DVC you want to stay at, there is usually one or two that have last minute rooms. Of course, busy holidays would be difficult, but even regular disney hotel rooms will be full in that situation (i.e.Christmas week, New Years, Spring Break, Pres Week, Easter etc). My friend, couldn't for the life of her, get a disney room anywhere for the first week of Dec in 2006. She tried about 60 days prior to check-in. Nothing. I think we had gotten the last room at CBR that trip at maybe 65 days out. All that was left was concierge and suite villas on property---very pricey. But I've gotten DVC rooms during non holiday times at pretty short notice. So this is another misconception held by some. Of course, DVC may still not be for you based on other reasons.....I understand there are many reasons some don't agree with it. But booking last minute (less than 45-60 days, is possible alot of times).

We ARE very particular where we stay at WDW - and often use the castmember discount at the last minute for a long weekend - another no-no for DVC points - why stay with more points!

On our last trip DVC points would have done absolutely nothing for the hotels we used....but the rooms were free with Reward Points from my business travel - DVC just couldn't work.

No misconception here - DVC would be far too restrictive AND far too expensive for our Disney - and outside Disney travel.

I agree - no tourguide needed for us - we enjoy the freedom and fabulous discounts outside DVC!!!

Mouseholic says : We ARE very particular where we stay at WDW - and often use the castmember discount at the last minute for a long weekend - another no-no for DVC points - why stay with more points!

On our last trip DVC points would have done absolutely nothing for the hotels we used....but the rooms were free with Reward Points from my business travel - DVC just couldn't work.

No misconception here -

With all due respect, it's no misconception for you Mouseholic because you ARE PARTICULAR as to where you stay. I'm just as happy at the VWL, as I am at BWV as I am at OKW. There have been very few times I couldn't get a room last minute at DVC and that was because it was a busy holiday week at WDW. And those times I actually couldn't get anything on wdw property.

Nothing wrong with being picky about which resort you want to stay at, but one just can't make a general statement like you cannot get rooms last minute. Have you all who think this way or made this statement actually tried ? Because you can....we've done it many times (I just did this week for 2 months from now as a matter of fact)....just have to be open to any of the DVC resorts. Also, you have extenuating circumstances....in that you can get CM discounts. Most of us can't. You also mention using reward programs for free hotel stays. That is a great perk. But doesn't work for larger families like mine and many others. I need larger accomodations. We like having a full kitchen---even if we don't use it for every meal (which we don't). Over the years, with 3 kids it was a valuable asset to us. We don't travel enough to really rack up enough free nights with rewardds programs anyway (I am a member of one though). I do get an occasional night here or there using my other offsite timeshare. So for you, it's a totally different situation. You claim to be particular about where you stay and you like to use CM and reward discounts. Makes perfect sense for you. I can understand this. But for some to make blanket/generalized statement that one can't plan last minute trips using DVC points IS a misconception. You, however, have a whole different situation with CM discounts and I can see why YOU wouldn't feel DVC would work.

Respectfully, I'm not sure what the comments on "no tour guide" made by you and jaineparr means ? Jaineparr mentioned international travel---which can be done with DVC---but perhaps they have found a way to do it cheaper on their own. So this is fine. It works for them. Wouldn't for me because we travel with anywhere from 5-7 people.

With all due respect, it's no misconception for you Mouseholic because you ARE PARTICULAR as to where you stay. I'm just as happy at the VWL, as I am at BWV as I am at OKW. There have been very few times I couldn't get a room last minute at DVC and that was because it was a busy holiday week at WDW. And those times I actually couldn't get anything on wdw property.

Nothing wrong with being picky about which resort you want to stay at, but one just can't make a general statement like you cannot get rooms last minute. Have you all who think this way or made this statement actually tried ? Because you can....we've done it many times (I just did this week for 2 months from now as a matter of fact)....just have to be open to any of the DVC resorts. Also, you have extenuating circumstances....in that you can get CM discounts. Most of us can't. You also mention using reward programs for free hotel stays. That is a great perk. But doesn't work for larger families like mine and many others. I need larger accomodations. We like having a full kitchen---even if we don't use it for every meal (which we don't). Over the years, with 3 kids it was a valuable asset to us. We don't travel enough to really rack up enough free nights with rewardds programs anyway (I am a member of one though). I do get an occasional night here or there using my other offsite timeshare. So for you, it's a totally different situation. You claim to be particular about where you stay and you like to use CM and reward discounts. Makes perfect sense for you. I can understand this. But for some to make blanket/generalized statement that one can't plan last minute trips using DVC points IS a misconception. You, however, have a whole different situation with CM discounts and I can see why YOU wouldn't feel DVC would work.

Respectfully, I'm not sure what the comments on "no tour guide" made by you and jaineparr means ? Jaineparr mentioned international travel---which can be done with DVC---but perhaps they have found a way to do it cheaper on their own. So this is fine. It works for them. Wouldn't for me because we travel with anywhere from 5-7 people.

I mean no disrespect to DVC guests who are willing to "take what is available". We simply have different expectations. For us - our hotel/resort is an important factor and we are not especially fond of SSR or OKW <-- again....our personal preference. We like to book our vacation - stay in the same place for our entire stay (WDW especially) and we have been lucky enough to always avoid waitlists. For us.....I am speakng about MY family....DVC does not work. Castmember discounts trump the DVC savings and it is a FAR more flexibile way to make a WDW reservation especially since all of our stays are over 1 or even two weekends. We have never had to compromise on our resort choice whenever we have traveled to WDW - even at the last minute. Are we not allowed to have different travel plans than you?

As far as a tourguide is concerned......we were married in Alaska last summer and traveled with our family and friends. We were thrilled that we could offer free nights for our guests at some of the stops along the way.

We have traveled with large groups of friends and just the two of us....both Disney and away from Disney. We are saavy travelers and no matter the size of the group (and I admit traveling with a group of 12 is far more challenging than just the two of us).....we are just not the tourguide type. We enjoy our own advance research and planning. Again, OUR preference.

I did not say everyone had to travel this way....it is our choice. DVC does not work for our way of travel or pocketbook - we prefer our flexibility and affordability.

Again, our way works far better than DVC or us.....we have had many conversations with our DVC friends.....we have done the DVC tour....we reviewed the materials. It just doesn't work for us.......I am speaking about how WE travel.

By the way....we are happy for all the DVC people who enjoy the program. WDW is a magical place and if this allows you the flexibility to enjoy WDW more often.....that's GREAT.

I havent bought in yet. I am still trying to figure out whether it is worth it. Its just my wife and I. We travel alot but $16,000 plus about $1000 a year seems alot just to get a room for two weeks every year. For 20 years thats $36,000. So thats like you are paying about $900 for one weeks stay. I just dont see that you are really saving money. We would have to go like 16 times to come out ahead. I dont think we would ever go that many times.

DVC is now allowing a 100 point buy in at AKV. It substantially lowers the initial buy in costs along with the yearly dues.

I for one can't be happier with our DVC purchase. It was an investment in our family. We also as a family that will soon have 5 members, would not be as happy in a standard hotel room sharing that small space with 3 kids for a week.:crowded:
For those that are commando style that never spend time in their hotel room, and are happy at values, than DVC is not for you. We personally love the extra space, the ability to cook a quick meal so we don't have to eat out every meal of the day, (and I HATE cooking), and to be able to have a king size bed and our own room away from the kids is priceless.

To each his own. The fewer number of members, the easier it is to book the room I want. Unfortunately, many people are finding the "best kept secret", and the member number is climbing. Although that also means more resorts in more locations that we can use our points at.

mean no disrespect to DVC guests who are willing to "take what is available". We simply have different expectations. For us - our hotel/resort is an important factor and we are not especially fond of SSR or OKW <-- again....our personal preference. We like to book our vacation - stay in the same place for our entire stay

I totally understand where you're coming from Mouseholic. I agree, DVC would most likely not work for you. I just mentioned the misconception in another post of mine, in that someone stated you can't get a room for last minute trips. You can. Might not be your 1st or 2nd preference, but we've rarely not been able to get a room. The majority of the time (I'd say 85%) we schedule at least 6-10 months in advance and do get exactly what we want. It's only those 45-60 day out last minute trips where we have to take what's left. But that goes for anyone booking a non-DVC room at WDW as well. You can't call up at 45 days before check-in and expect to get the Poly or the Beach Club or the WL. Just doesn't happen. I have had last minute trips where I couldn't get Port Orleans French Quarter at 4-5 months notice. Riverside usually has availability, but some resorts because they are smaller or more popular, just get booked waaaay in advance. So one can't just blame DVC for being tough at last minute trips. Alot of resorts are this way. POP and the values have a huge amount of rooms---they tend to be available last minute. But I know when I want to stay at one of my favs (WL or VWL), I have to plan a good amount of time in advance whether I'm staying on DVC points or cash.

So yes, it is nice that there are so many different options that work for different peoples' needs........:)

I havent bought in yet. I am still trying to figure out whether it is worth it. Its just my wife and I. We travel alot but $16,000 plus about $1000 a year seems alot just to get a room for two weeks every year. For 20 years thats $36,000. So thats like you are paying about $900 for one weeks stay.

You are locked into that price. Disney rooms keep going up and up. I remember paying $99 for a moderate resort. I just paid $170 last year for POFQ. This was a jump over 7-8 years. So that mod would cost $1190 before tax for 7 night. For this summer season, I see the mods are $179/weeknight and $189/weekend. They just keep going up. Our DVC dues don't rise nearly as fast as disney raises it's rack rates. It's harder and harder to find AP discounts too.

I can stay in a 2 bedroom OKW villa for Sun thru Thurs night for 135 points. Then, we usually book Fri and Sat either on cash at a two values or book somewhere like the Contemp or Poly (because they sleep 5) at 30 to 37 points a night for the Fri/Sat. Now some don't like to move during the week. We don't mind. Disney moves your luggage for you. We do the Fri/Sat stay first, then move into the huge 2 bedroom villa for the next 5 nights. Or we can stay in a one bedroom villa at OKW (because they are the largest) for the whole 7 nights. We have brought an air mattress for our youngest to use. It's just we know what works for us like others have said. We love the washer/dryer in our villa, the jacuzzi tub, the full kitchen, the huge balcony (we average most of our stays at OKW because they offer the largest rooms and balconies). These are all things we value during a vacation. But others may not.
On other occasions, we have just used points for studios during the week and we can really stretch our points that way. Right now, we have only 170 points (planning on more very soon), and OKW studios during the week are only 8 points. We can stretch 22 nights worth of stays if we use them on week nights. And we do this some years. We've gone down to WDW as often as 4-5 x a year based soley on the fact that we have been lucky enough to get some great airfare and our room is prepaid for---and we have Annual Passes. So I think we've found some creative ways to make DVC work for us. But I fully understand that some people cannot vacation like this or just don't prefer to do it this way. It's all good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter