Why dont people plan?

For me "Carefree" is planning in advance so I don't have to wait in long lines or try to find somewhere to eat. The things I plan are which day which park, 3 FPs, and 1 or 2 meals per day. We then work our way around, stopping if we see a short character line, or spend time talking to streetmosphere CMs, etc. We spent a ton of time in Germany and Italy talking and having a great time! Very carefree, no plans except 1 FP (Frozen) early breakfast at GG and dinner at Chefs with a pass for CP. That left us hours to meander, shop, chat, look at architecture and Disney magic etc. Such a delightful day!
I enjoy the planning to ensure the relaxation!

The planning to me takes any "carefree" out of it. I much preferred just getting up in the morning and deciding where to go based on our mood, the weather and what time we got moving. Being locked into a location and times before we ever get in the car completely removes all the carefree aspects for me.

The planning to me takes any "carefree" out of it. I much preferred just getting up in the morning and deciding where to go based on our mood, the weather and what time we got moving. Being locked into a location and times before we ever get in the car completely removes all the carefree aspects for me.
I've done that and for us it was a horror story because we pretty much ended up doing nothing.

For our family, a hybrid of planning, and time for whatever, works best. There's a piece of mind that comes with knowing for sure my family will experience a minimum 3 attractions, usually the big ones with the longest lines. I couldn't believe how relaxed I was on our last trip, knowing we were going to hit every major attraction, M&G, & dining experience my girls wanted over our 4 days at MK and DHS.

This isn't Six Flags. Short of limiting attendance, there's no way around it. You have to have some sort of a plan, or an understanding your day could consist of long lines or no major attractions.

I think the difference is instant gratification just isn't that big of a deal for me. We've been going since the days before FP and waiting was just part of the game. I guess I'm just to old school to think knowing where I'm eating 6 months out and mapping my day around scheduled rides is being flexible and carefree.

In my day we stopped by guest services got a reservation for Crystal Palace then went to wait an hour for Splash Mountain and we liked it!

I think the difference is instant gratification just isn't that big of a deal for me. We've been going since the days before FP and waiting was just part of the game. I guess I'm just to old school to think knowing where I'm eating 6 months out and mapping my day around scheduled rides is being flexible and carefree.

In my day we stopped by guest services got a reservation for Crystal Palace then went to wait an hour for Splash Mountain and we liked it!

And you had to walk uphill, barefoot, both ways in the rain ('cause it doesn't snow in WDW), right? :joker:

Just yanking your chain, I'm old school too and completely agree with you. We're not really planners either. We do book our FP+ 30 days out, because it's just such an easy thing to do and guarantees we can get on the more popular rides without having to resort to things like rope drop (we do not do that). So that necessitates us knowing what park we'll be in for at least the part of our day when we have FP+. But beyond that, we don't plan anything. We just like the freedom to do what we want, when we want. We don't feel like we miss anything, and we don't stand in long lines.

And you had to walk uphill, barefoot, both ways in the rain ('cause it doesn't snow in WDW), right? :joker:

Just yanking your chain, I'm old school too and completely agree with you. We're not really planners either. We do book our FP+ 30 days out, because it's just such an easy thing to do and guarantees we can get on the more popular rides without having to resort to things like rope drop (we do not do that). So that necessitates us knowing what park we'll be in for at least the part of our day when we have FP+. But beyond that, we don't plan anything. We just like the freedom to do what we want, when we want. We don't feel like we miss anything, and we don't stand in long lines.
Yup but it wasn't all hardship since we got cool yellow Mickey Mouse ponchos instead of lame clear Disney Parks ones. :earboy2:

Well, I'm definitely not "young school."

And the doing things six months ahead of time isn't the carefree part. That part is actually kind of stressful on me.

The carefree part is being there and not concerning myself with certain aspects of my day because I took care of it six months ago.

What ultimately matters, though, is what works for each person and if they're happy. Just because someone does it different, doesn't mean they do it wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter