Why dont people plan?

I see a difference between lack of planning, and general cluelessness.

Lack of planning is OK if is a conscious decision. As someone who visits the parks every year with a handicapped child, we do little to no planning. An ADR for a character breakfast is about it. I don't even bother to setup fast passes. Depending on how our son is feeling each day we may decide to switch which park we are going to at the last minute. We may get in to a park at noon instead of 9AM. We may leave for the day at 2PM and not return at night. There are just too many variables to even attempt to plan. Granted, the DAS makes it more convenient to not plan, but that option is obviously not open to everyone.

I still enjoy the overall ambiance of the parks. I don't mind if we don't go on many rides. Our lack of planning makes our Disney trips carefree and relaxing. I can't imagine sitting and looking at calendars, fiddling with that horrible mobile app to get fast passes, and running around a massive park like MK to get to ride times before they expire. That is just not my idea of fun.

Now, on the other hand, it seems what the OP is describing is more akin to not having a clue as to how things work. I see some of this every year and it baffles me. The most common thing I see are folks trying to go through the FastPass line w/o a FastPass. Those irk me just a little bit (but only a little bit, because hey, we are at Disney!) because it invariably takes time for the CM to explain the concept, all the while a queue starts forming behind them where there shouldn't be a queue.

On the other hand, some of the lack of planning could also be a mistake. Last month we got up early and went to the Polynesian for an ADR at O'hanas only to be turned away at the desk. Turns out I was a week early on my ADR ;) No big deal and we went back the next week for the correct date.

I think you have hit on it. If you consciously decide not to plan, and know it will impact your trip, but you're okay with that, then fine. No problem. Its the other thing(in bold) that irks me.

Sorry to hear you feel this way, but I have to defend US.

Doing magic with the wands is amazing. (and what a shame to spend the $ on something you didn't get to use!)

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I was knocking Universal. It was just not what we expected based on crowds at Disney the same week.

I should probably not have said 'never'.

My son has autism. He tends to have a long memory for experiences that were not enjoyable to him. It may be a few years before he is brave enough to experience US again. If we do plan to go back, we'll do more planning beforehand.

There were a lot of variables that made things negative that day. The wall-to-wall crowds was just one factor. The Hogwarts ride was also quite a bit too intense. And, we just perhaps picked a bad day to go. A bad morning or negative experience at home can set the tone for the entire day that colors everything negatively.

I'm sorry, I'm reviving this thread :wave2:....I was reading some of the comments, and I just wanted to add

Disney is like nowhere else.....nowhere else do you need to plan your meals 6 months in advance, your rides w months in advance, and spend hours upon hours researching "insider tips" to have a great vacation.

I realize you don't have to do that, even if you're aware of it...and choose to have a much less structure vacation.

Disney doesn't help, in that all their adds and promos seem to suggest that "if you dream it, you make it happen", so is it any wonder that those not in the know don't, well, know?

I actually think that the way Disney forces pre-booked ADR's, actually makes it more difficult for the average person to get them. There are many people on this site, who set their alarms at 180 (or 60 for FP+) to ensure they get what they want. I've also seen many people who will then book several meals throughout the day, and duplicate them throughout their trip, because they don't know which park is on which day. Recently I saw a post where someone was letting go of over a dozen BOG reservations for a 5 day trip :eek:.

Twelve years ago, we did our first trip to DW, and I didn't know anything about pre booking meals (or maybe they didn't do that yet), and we managed to eat at both TS and QS (I don't even know if I knew there was a difference). We went back 4 years ago, and it was a totally differnt trip. Then two years ago...and the amount of time I spent researching, booking, moving all my reservations....:faint:.

On one hand, I like knowing that my kids will get to meet Elsa & Anna in two more months, and I don't have to sprint across the park like a maniac to get in line first, or get a fast pass....but it certainly takes the spontaneity out of the trip. And unless you're okay taking what you can get, or losing a coveted reservation, you follow the plan.

And honestly, the more I know, the more I know there is to miss, so I try not to get too caught up in planning ..we took a pretty relaxed approach to our last trip, and we certainly didn't get to do tons, but had a great time (we didn't like the structure of having to be on the bus by X time, and my husband was less enthusiastic about my 'no time to sleep in, we gotta move!" attitude) :thumbsup2

Agree that Disney doesn't help. 2 days before my trip I'm getting emails from them with suggestions for my trip, which include BBB and CRT. How is that helpful to people who don't know you have to book those months in advance?

I love the planning, and I love how carefree my days at Disney are once I've planned them (as opposed to Universal, which stresses me out because I don't know what I'll be able to do when). I especially love having lunch reservations. Nothing sucks the energy out of a day worse than standing in line in the hot sun when Hangry, then fighting for a seat, etc.

In 1988, I showed up with Park Hoppers for 3 days.

Day 1 was spent at MK. On a whim, we decided to check out this Epcot thing. Had NO CLUE. We were leaving and a kind lady told us about Illuminations.

Spent the whole next day at Epcot.

In 1998, with Animal Kingdom opening, I knew I needed to research because I didn't want to miss out. Found The Unofficial Guide at the library (had no computer at that time) and went to town. We had an AMAZING experience. Ate at a TS every day and got to see everything we wanted to see.

2001, Easter week, I decide to wing it and it sucked. We got nothing done.

This last trip, planned, planned, planned. We didn't get to everything because the crowds were heavier than expected and staying offsite hurt, I think, BUT we still had an amazing trip because of the planning I did.

Plan. Research. Do it now and then when you're there, things go fairly smooth. Not always but it's still better than trying to wing it.

Yes, I had this when I was talking with my physical therapist. His daughter is competing in the cheerleader competition in May. I let him know I had to get up at 3am (PST) to make my dining reservations for my trip in September. He then was like-oh crap, I need to start looking into things. He is so used to Disneyland where you can just show up. I just handed him my username/password to touring plans and was like, good luck!
(I think he has the added inconvenience of not knowing exactly when they'll be free. If his daughter's team does really well they could be busy with the competition all weekend. If they lose immediately, then they will have the whole weekend to go to the parks (this is the option he and his fiancee are hoping for).)

Having to plan your meals 180 days out and having to plan which parks and which rides to go on and the order to do them 60 days out is quite a task and distracts considerably from the vacation experience. I greatly prefer the original fastpass system of getting them each morning and then throughout the day. It worked if you understood them and we could wing it each day.

When I tell people who come to me for help because I'm the "Disney Freak," this, I usually get the Disney Shock Face, which is when people realize that they can't just stroll up to the gates anymore like they did on that trip when they were seven.

When I tell people who come to me for help because I'm the "Disney Freak," this, I usually get the Disney Shock Face, which is when people realize that they can't just stroll up to the gates anymore like they did on that trip when they were seven.

And why a few people I know are going to Universal. My manager and my aunt, both who love Disney, chose to do Universal this year. Between the planning and the prices they felt it was a better vacation.

I'm still absolutely shocked at the people who get up in the crack butt dawn for a "magical" trip. Does it really make or break your trip so much if you get CRT? Also just thought I'd share I'm 22 days from an Passover/Easter/SW Celebration week trip and booked 2 Be Our Guest reservations today because I figure on my lunch break why not check what is available. Even when I was just looking randomly for an extra meal I had no problem finding some where to eat even character meals. Sure it wasn't CRT but if that is the make or break you'll leave unhappy anyways. Kids don't know CRT exsists unless their parents tell them. There are now 3 other princess meals.

I'm still absolutely shocked at the people who get up in the crack butt dawn for a "magical" trip. Does it really make or break your trip so much if you get CRT? Also just thought I'd share I'm 22 days from an Passover/Easter/SW Celebration week trip and booked 2 Be Our Guest reservations today because I figure on my lunch break why not check what is available. Even when I was just looking randomly for an extra meal I had no problem finding some where to eat even character meals. Sure it wasn't CRT but if that is the make or break you'll leave unhappy anyways. Kids don't know CRT exsists unless their parents tell them. There are now 3 other princess meals.
Obviously time of the year can matter but I just looked for the heck of it and for 9/9/2017 (A Saturday) here are the options for breakfast for CRT that pop up when I say "breakfast". I did it for 2 people and then for 4 people and the times were the same:
upload_2017-3-21_15-37-23.png

If I say 8:30am for 4 people here's what shows up:
upload_2017-3-21_15-38-6.png

Currently MK opens up at 9am and there are no Morning EMH scheduled. Of course MK could change to an earlier time but at least right now there are 2 PPO slots available (though the 8:55 wouldn't be so much of an advantage).....and it's 172 days til 9/9/17. I know the new MK welcome show has affected people's CRT thoughts.

Here's BOG for the same date:
upload_2017-3-21_15-42-21.png

Now there is a difference if I select 2 people I get an earlier option:
upload_2017-3-21_15-43-28.png

My first day of my trip is 9/8/17 so I'm just messing around and selecting a date that is at the front end of my vacation. Now as time goes on sure I may be left with little or no availability for those restaurants but at least right now for my particular case I didn't need to wake up extra early and I'm more than a week past my ADR start date. These are just examples everyone's situation will be different of course.

Agree that Disney doesn't help. 2 days before my trip I'm getting emails from them with suggestions for my trip, which include BBB and CRT. How is that helpful to people who don't know you have to book those months in advance?

I love the planning, and I love how carefree my days at Disney are once I've planned them (as opposed to Universal, which stresses me out because I don't know what I'll be able to do when). I especially love having lunch reservations. Nothing sucks the energy out of a day worse than standing in line in the hot sun when Hangry, then fighting for a seat, etc.
I'm not sure your definition of "carefree" matches most people's definition. The planning out part kind of kills being carefree.

I don't mind planning and there can be some fun in it, but with the new FP+ setup it can be rather tollsome. I LOATHE the 6-month ADR setup. If they would just lower that it would make a huge difference for many. I dunno how many people plan a Disney vacation that far in advance but most of my cases have often been 2-3 months prior to the trip.

I also hate only being able to reserve FPs for one park per day only, especially considering how many people park-hop.

I'm already up that early every day, so making ADRs then doesn't really affect me.

We have a group of 10 so I like to do our ADRs when it opens. We don't do ADRs every day but pick a few we really want. We have small children in our group so prefer relatively "normal" times. Because of this, I like to get it out of the way and lined up.

The only reason I like CRT over Akershus is that the food is more enjoyable to me and we spend most of our time at MK.

The success of our trips has ever been reliant on securing a specific ADR and I hope it stays that way.

The last time we were there, we were waiting at the podium at CRT, there was a little girl maybe 7/8 and her family discussing if they should try to eat at CRT.

Another woman was standing in line and said very loudly and rudely, "You needed to book this 6 months ago, don't bother checking." The mom looked embarrassed in front of all these people who had booked reservations. The daughter said something like "It's ok, mom, we will find something else to do" . This woman seriously killed their magic, delivering the news rudely and loudly as if to brag she knew better.

I have noticed an annoying trend of knowitalls imparting their unsolicited "knowledge" on others while listening to their conversations. Sometimes it's better to just let people check or figure things out on their own. Mom goes to podium, talks to
CM, can control the message back to the family.

The last time we were there, we were waiting at the podium at CRT, there was a little girl maybe 7/8 and her family discussing if they should try to eat at CRT.

Another woman was standing in line and said very loudly and rudely, "You needed to book this 6 months ago, don't bother checking." The mom looked embarrassed in front of all these people who had booked reservations. The daughter said something like "It's ok, mom, we will find something else to do" . This woman seriously killed their magic, delivering the news rudely and loudly as if to brag she knew better.

I have noticed an annoying trend of knowitalls imparting their unsolicited "knowledge" on others while listening to their conversations. Sometimes it's better to just let people check or figure things out on their own. Mom goes to podium, talks to
CM, can control the message back to the family.

I agree, and the truth is that you just never know. That mom may have had a little magic gifted her that day, but if the know it all discouraged her, she will never know.

it happened again......a friend of mine went recently to MK and I asked her....do you go to Enchanted Tales?...did you like Enchanted Tales?...she looked at me all puzzled and she didn't know about it or what it is. and she has a princess girly girly daugther at the perfect age which she would have loved it. Too bad, she must have walked right by it and not even know. Felt bad.

I thought I missed the old FP system until I went to Disneyland last year. UGH. I forgot how miserable it is trying to run around and get FPs for things like Space Mountain early in the morning so that you have a chance of getting on it without a huge wait. That made me very thankful for FP+. I will never complain again!

I am often amazed by people that don't plan at all though. I actually booked our honeymoon trip less than 6 months out for the middle of April right after Easter. I got all the ADRs I wanted simply by checking in every so often and moving things around. Really not that difficult. I received numerous e-mails from Disney well in advance of my trip telling me about ADRs and FP+ system and when to book. I hadn't been for an on-site Disney vacation for 10 year prior to that trip. I didn't find the DIS until two months before my trip, so at that point everything I needed to do was taken care of as far as ADRs and FP+!

My best friend recently went to MK for one day. She mentioned to me that she waited for an hour and forty minutes for Space Mountain. I asked her why she didn't book a FP for it as her trip was planned about two months in advance. She responded "psh, I'm not paying for that kind of thing." I couldn't stop myself from telling her it was free and she burned a ton of time waiting in lines unnecessarily.

I actually agree with her, our days are more carefree because I don't have to be thinking about what we are going to be doing and when and where we are going to eat. We know we have FP's for our favorites and won't be in huge lines and we know when we will get to eat rather than hoping we will get in somewhere with out a huge wait. We can explore and enjoy without me being a huge stress case.

I'm not sure your definition of "carefree" matches most people's definition. The planning out part kind of kills being carefree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter