Why are Nemo's overseas numbers so low ?

KNWVIKING

DIS Veteran
Just browsing around Boxoffice mojo, I noticed that Nemo grossed approx 340 mil domestic and only 155 mil overseas. PoC, which was released approx 5 weeks later has done 304 mil domestic and an incredible 339 mil overseas. Are these numbers correct ? Why the huge disparity between the two movies ?

Finding Nemo is being released at staggered times throughout the world. It wasn't released in the U.K. until October 10th, it will open across continental Europe over the next two weeks, and won't open in Japan (the largest non-Enghlish speaking market for U.S. movies) until December 6.

Openings are delayed like this to give distributors more time to dub films, make prints, prepare marketing and so forth. There's also some seasonal issues that vary from country to country in terms of when the big office hits. I think the U.S. is the only place where summer is a huge movie going period - other countries have different markets.

It used to that films had even longer release times in international markets (some times measured in years). But with the growth of DVD and truely international media companies that period is shrinkign all the time. The last Matrix was released at the same time (literally down to the hour) across the globe.

In terms of the actual movies themselves, action really does sell better internationally than comedies. Explosions don't need a translation; too many jokes are based on culture, history or countries personality. It's extremely difficult to make a British comedy work in America. Now imagine how hard it's going to be to get California surfer dude turtles to play in the Ukraine.

***"too many jokes are based on culture, history or countries personality. It's extremely difficult to make a British comedy work in America. Now imagine how hard it's going to be to get California surfer dude turtles to play in the Ukraine."***

I can relate to that statement. I lived in Scotland for 3 years ('78-'80) and I'm sure The Benny Hill Show would of been much funnier had I understood many of the joke references.

Any guesses where the final overseas numbers will end up for each film ? Has PoC pretty much run it's course or does it have some prime markets yet to tap ?

the film was released on nov. 20th here in germany and will be a huge hit, for sure.... , maybe Disney wants the cash flow in different quarters to present smoother financial figures ???

By the way.. they did choose some top notch comedians to dub the film and the jokes come out even better ( a little bit nastier ) in the german translation .. have the DVD so can compare pretty well :-)))

Stephan

biggest opening this year overall ... with more than 2 million visitors on the opening weekend .. it is only #2 behind titanic ..

it is HUGE !!!!

Stephan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter