Why are crowds lower this summer?

I spoke of violence and unrest in general. This week a number of big protests were held in a number of American Cities.

Large protests have away of getting ugly in a hurry. Anyone can throw a punch, pick up a rock, or inflict terrible damage with a car. I witnessed a human/car collision just a few days ago.

People are on edge in this country. Call me crazy, but I don't think being in a mob/very crowded area is the best idea when people are this nervous.

The MK hub after Wishes is a pretty much a mob/very crowded area. I'm truly amazed it has never gotten ugly.

Have you read the many DIS threads about who gets what space before a parade?

Or how angry some folks get when EVC guess dare to board a bus?

Add heat, alcohol, and long theme park lines....

I spoke of violence and unrest in general. This week a number of big protests were held in a number of American Cities.

Large protests have away of getting ugly in a hurry. Anyone can throw a punch, pick up a rock, or inflict terrible damage with a car. I witnessed a human/car collision just a few days ago.

People are on edge in this country. Call me crazy, but I don't think being in a mob/very crowded area is the best idea when people are this nervous.

The MK hub after Wishes is a pretty much a mob/very crowded area. I'm truly amazed it has never gotten ugly.

This makes sense to me. A general unease about things happening. I can understand this. I know I was arguing the other way but, the way you wrote this just made a lot of sense.

I think most of us agree it's a combination of many things. I still think it comes down to the almighty dollar being the biggest reason but, So much is going on right now, it makes sense it would be more than just one reason.

I know I keep harping on this but I think this fall will show an increase in crowds. I think it will all even out.

I hope there's a decrease in September but, I'm not expecting it by any stretch.

I was there 6/29-7/5 and it was definitely lighter crowds than I anticipated. My bitter theory is that it's because everyone was there the first week in April, when I was visiting with my family. For those who don't remember, the crowd calendars had anticipated moderate crowds, but the parks were more like a consistent 8-9 level. Top tier attractions were consistently in the 2-3 hour wait range, and moving in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland was an impossible shoulder-to-shoulder shuffle. I don't know what the heck was going on, but the crowd patterns are just plain weird this year.

I'm actually getting a little nervous about crowds when we go in January. I have a feeling the crowds will be much larger than what I'm hoping for. At least the weather will be nicer, right?
We went over a weekend this January and the weather was literally freezing (including the severe wind-chill factor that weekend) all day both days, so be prepared. We also went over a weekend in January 2009 and the weather wasn't bad, so it's luck of the draw how it will feel.

Crowds and lines were almost nonexistent during our January 2009 trip- I can remember us ducking under the railings of the empty Soarin' standby queue area, to more quickly get to the ride, which had no noticeable wait. In our January 2016 trip, there were crowds and lines, though not terrible. There has definitely been an attendance shift. Don't expect anything to be walk-on.

Last edited:
i think it's a combination of economic failure, price increases, and some psychological stuff as well.

with the recent events (esp. at orlando) i think that many people are afraid to travel with the high risk of terrorist activity.

sorry if anyone said this already- i skipped through a couple of pages!

I think most of us agree it's a combination of many things. I still think it comes down to the almighty dollar being the biggest reason but, So much is going on right now, it makes sense it would be more than just one reason.
Agreed.

Though I think if crowds are going down, part of it for us, still goes back to FP+ and other policy changes at WDW.I think it took a while for annual visitors to experience those changes.

I agree, lots of reasons:
1) Free dining is siphoning some of the summer crowd, waiting for fall
2) Some are delaying their more infrequent trips in anticipation of Pandora, Star Wars and (to a lesser extent) Toy Story lands
3) Global economies are down, especially now in the UK.
4) Summer Olympics in Brazil

We just retired and moved to Florida this spring. Bought platinum annual passes, and attend regularly. I'm not complaining about fewer people, but still can't get FP+ for the new Frozen attraction. The new Soarin' ride is outstanding, as is Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular at DHS.

We've been going yearly (sometimes twice a year) for many years. We have one last 3-day Disney trip planned in October and have already decided to spend our vacation money elsewhere next year. Honestly, I'm considering canceling our trip and getting a refund of $1,300 on the 3-night, 2-day park hopper trip for the two of us. It sounds like the crowds will be quite high this fall but the park hours are still ridiculously short and I really don't know if the value is there anymore for us. We no longer buy souvenirs of any kind, share CS meals (instead of buying the dining plan), bring breakfast for the room, etc.

Make no mistake about it. The shooting at Pulse--done by a licensed gun holder with a legally purchased semi-automatic weapon--has scared foreigners from visiting the U.S.

Just the fact the shooter was all legal is frightening. It scares the wits out of me, so I only can imagine how much it scares people who live in places where that weapon would never be legal.

I heard months ago, long before Pulse, that summer hotel bookings were down. That's when they came out with the value resort free quick service dining offer. Pulse only happened a month ago, there had to be mass cancellations to affect crowds already. I think there was already a downturn, it could get worse with the recent violence.

Last edited:
We will be traveling with daughter, son in law, and two grandbabies (5 and 2) the week following Thanksgiving. We used to be DVC members. When we saw the prices going off the charts and realized that we were able to sell our DVC for about the same amount as we paid for it having used it for almost 10 years, we sold it. This trip is costing us a bundle, even with free dining. I actually am renting a small apt. on the beach for six weeks in Feb/March for less than I am spending on this vacation. I know, comparing apples to oranges (everything included, etc) but I only have so much money to spend for vacations. Disney is just becoming too darn expensive. We are staying at a Fort Wilderness cabin for the babies' first trip. However, I doubt if DH and myself will go again without grandchildren. If we do, it would probably be for a few days off site. Having traveled to Disney for many years, sometimes more than once per year, it pains me to think that I won't be there as much in the future. I can go on a week long cruise with a balcony, food and entertainment included, for less than spending a week at Disney. I'm quite satisfied to do that instead :flower1:

These light crowds are making me super nervous about my upcoming trip. Seeing the unexpectedly short wait times along with all the people who are talking about their upcoming September trips makes me think that month is going to be insanely busy.

These light crowds are making me super nervous about my upcoming trip. Seeing the unexpectedly short wait times along with all the people who are talking about their upcoming September trips makes me think that month is going to be insanely busy.
same here :(
we will be there Labor day week.... I am getting nervous.last year was bad enough compared to the years before.. though I did put my Dates in and there is still FD availbility.. so they havent sold out on our Dates. shhhhh

Agreed.

Though I think if crowds are going down, part of it for us, still goes back to FP+ and other policy changes at WDW.I think it took a while for annual visitors to experience those changes.

That would have been my reason for not going next year. Not so much that they have 180 day ADRs and FPs but that Disney doesn't really play fair and plan their stuff in accordance. The planning for our May trip was not fun with many last minute changes and getting the rug pulled out from under me. BTMR back and forth between being in refurb or not, spending too much time stalking for ROL dining package or FPs that never were, FEA possibly going to open when we were there and then not, the worry that A&E would move to Epcot and disrupt our plans (we got in under the wire at MK), Disney changing the Star Wars fireworks schedule a couple weeks before our trip so that our DHS day didn't have them, and a couple of other last minute changes. Any one or two of those would have been understandable but all of it left a bad taste. Not so much that they were making changes but they were poorly communicated. And then when we were there, it's a lot of stress trying to run around to make all the scheduled things. I was definitely ready to say no for 2017. But DH said he would like to go again while DS loves monorails so we will likely go in 2017. But we're also now going to take a long weekend Uni trip in Nov and I have a feeling that is going to better fit my vacationing style. We'll see.

But it's sad because I was totally ready to be a Disney lifer after the first trip but it's so expensive I feel like I have to jam things in to get our money's worth. And that just isn't as much fun as I want it to be.

Many of the factors stated above would add to the mix.
Personally I think it's a shift in when people are visiting now. Try to get a DVC room on a weekend in the fall, it isn't happening. I can't even get 2 midweek nights together in early November. Why go in July when Disney will feed you for "free" in August? I think people are not going to Disney just to go, they are going for something special (Halloween parties, Wine and Dine, Christmas Parties, marathons, etc)

I think people are not going to Disney just to go, they are going for something special (Halloween parties, Wine and Dine, Christmas Parties, marathons, etc)
This is an interesting point. In the past, many visitors didn't know about some of these events, but over time Disney has been more actively promoting them.

It also seems like they have been trying to shift interest OFF of e-rides (more than they used to do).

This is an interesting point. In the past, many visitors didn't know about some of these events, but over time Disney has been more actively promoting them.

It also seems like they have been trying to shift interest OFF of e-rides (more than they used to do).

I think this is also what made this year much lower and will continue to do so.. Many people ran down for a fall trip to see osbourne lights with no intention on coming down last fall. they are stretched.

So the number one complaint at WDW (long lines) is down this year.

same here :(
we will be there Labor day week.... I am getting nervous.last year was bad enough compared to the years before.. though I did put my Dates in and there is still FD availbility.. so they havent sold out on our Dates. shhhhh
I also will be there labor day week and seeing how fast, fast pass+have gone is making me a wee bit nervous also

I personally dropped from a full annual to the Gold. That price increase for photo downloads was just too much. They are downloaded, not printed...it costs Disney nothing for that. Most, not all, AP holders go often and do not need or want all those pictures. ..like I said...most, not all holders

No, it costs them to have people to take the pictures.

Stacy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter