Why are crowds lower this summer?

I think it is largely about calendars... Most schools are going to a more balanced calendar now, so people who wouldn't or couldn't pull their kids out of schools to go now have more options. Where in the past, they could only go in the summer, now they can go in the spring with longer spring breaks, or even in the fall with longer fall breaks. We were there last October and the crowds were significantly higher than the same week a few years ago.

I think it is largely about calendars... Most schools are going to a more balanced calendar now, so people who wouldn't or couldn't pull their kids out of schools to go now have more options. Where in the past, they could only go in the summer, now they can go in the spring with longer spring breaks, or even in the fall with longer fall breaks. We were there last October and the crowds were significantly higher than the same week a few years ago.

I agree with this. We have spring breaks, fall breaks. We have a full week out for Thanksgiving. Where I live we even get a full week out for Mardi Gras. Much different than when I was in school.

1) Tipping point in prices for some. People may be going less often or staying fewer days to make up for the increase in tickets, food and hotel prices.

2) There really is nothing "new" still. Why (unless you are the "go every year type"). As much as I would love to see FEA or the Star Wars Launch Bay, not much has changed since I went in Aug. 2015. So why not just wait another year when a whole new land will be open (Pandora).

3) People know it is hot and crowded in summer .. Plus .. I think that all the "info" out there that tells you to go in the other months has actually evened the crowds out.
When there are special events and huge discounts to be had in the traditionally "slow" times, I think a lot of people plan their vacations then.

I wouoldn't say that but there is fewer going over 30 mins now like the pre-fastpass days.

Good to hear. FP+ can create shorter compact tours, esp in the heat.

I wonder if 11PM AK is drawing folks away from parks as well, and 3 tracks at Soarin and TSM, and FEA, and Star Wars Fireworks etc.

I'm an elementary school teacher & regularly have multiple students gone for a week+ for Disney trips each year. Our school calendar is the same traditional one as it was when I was a kid (no fall break, only 1 week spring break, long summer break). It's just that now, many parents don't hesitate to pull their kids from school for vacation. In other words, the parents have changed, not the calendar.

And yet in early June we found crowds were 8+ as predicted by various crowd calendars - so price and construction were not an impact then when without FP or long waits by mid day you were looking at 60 min+ for the most popular attractions in the WDW parks.

Yeah we were there with you in early June and I agree it was pretty crowded. The only thing that slightly bummed us out was the decreased MK hours. We cut back one of our TS reservations this year and just ate at a nice restaurant offsite. I don't know :scratchin... I must be the only sucker in the bunch. We just got back and we're already planning next year's trip and were adding DDP despite the fact were DVC.

I think we may have reached a tipping point where people look at Disney prices, the work you have to put into planning, and what you get for your money and decide to do something else. We had a somewhat frustrating April trip and are going to give Disneyland a try next time.

I think we may have reached a tipping point where people look at Disney prices, the work you have to put into planning, and what you get for your money and decide to do something else. We had a somewhat frustrating April trip and are going to give Disneyland a try next time.

You are not the first person I've seen say this, as the reports from Disneyland is that it is packed to the gills. We skipped DW and went west last year for the first time and it was amazing. We are now doing a short, 4 day trip to DW this year, and then a longer, 6 day trip to DL in January.

How I vacation at Disney has changed dramatically with the price increases. I own at DVC. In the past we purchased, length of stay park hoppers and we would only have breakfast and maybe one dinner meal in the room.

Now we only eat 2 to 3 table service meals in a weeks stay.

We have had two DVC stays at AKV and Wilderness Lodge where we did not go to any major theme parks due to ticket pricing, we enjoyed Pool Time and the resort. Had one character meal each trip, and one other non theme park table service meal. We rode the hot air balloon at Disney Springs on one trip, saw a movie and played mini golf the other trip.

We have had one DVC stay at BCV during food and wine, we went to EPCOT for three park days and spent the other three days by the pool.

For us, Disney has lost value in every area, theme parks, food quality, merchandise, cast members, overall experience while prices have increased. I would never consider adding anymore DVC points

I'm an elementary school teacher & regularly have multiple students gone for a week+ for Disney trips each year. Our school calendar is the same traditional one as it was when I was a kid (no fall break, only 1 week spring break, long summer break). It's just that now, many parents don't hesitate to pull their kids from school for vacation. In other words, the parents have changed, not the calendar.

This supports what we saw in the parks this winter, our first as snowbirds. I was surprised by the number of children in the parks during school time. So they are willing pull the kids out of school to take advantage of the special events like F&W and the deals that Disney uses to attract attendance.

This supports what we saw in the parks this winter, our first as snowbirds. I was surprised by the number of children in the parks during school time. So they are willing pull the kids out of school to take advantage of the special events like F&W and the deals that Disney uses to attract attendance.
Yes. They pull kids out to go on the Disney cruises mid-year, too. One parent got hot under the collar when I required his daughter to make up some of her missed work after she returned from the cruise.:confused3

That would have been my reason for not going next year. Not so much that they have 180 day ADRs and FPs but that Disney doesn't really play fair and plan their stuff in accordance. The planning for our May trip was not fun with many last minute changes and getting the rug pulled out from under me. BTMR back and forth between being in refurb or not, spending too much time stalking for ROL dining package or FPs that never were, FEA possibly going to open when we were there and then not, the worry that A&E would move to Epcot and disrupt our plans (we got in under the wire at MK), Disney changing the Star Wars fireworks schedule a couple weeks before our trip so that our DHS day didn't have them, and a couple of other last minute changes. Any one or two of those would have been understandable but all of it left a bad taste. Not so much that they were making changes but they were poorly communicated. And then when we were there, it's a lot of stress trying to run around to make all the scheduled things. I was definitely ready to say no for 2017. But DH said he would like to go again while DS loves monorails so we will likely go in 2017. But we're also now going to take a long weekend Uni trip in Nov and I have a feeling that is going to better fit my vacationing style. We'll see.

But it's sad because I was totally ready to be a Disney lifer after the first trip but it's so expensive I feel like I have to jam things in to get our money's worth. And that just isn't as much fun as I want it to be.

Its been a nightmare re-arranging our schedule. They create a 180 ADR but will not release key dates in advance. I think on our next trip it will be quick serve only.

Yes. They pull kids out to go on the Disney cruises mid-year, too. One parent got hot under the collar when I required his daughter to make up some of her missed work after she returned from the cruise.:confused3

I worked with my DD's teacher to ensure all her work was either done before she left and when she came back.

I kind of ignored the whole thread but here is what I see happening....

1: Personal lives taking priority...

- really bad weather this year, biblical flooding, extreme highs.. people have to deal with their homes and lives
- the country has gone crazy.. so many shootings and man made disasters this year.. Is it safe to travel?
- is WDW safe? I hate to say it but that alligator incident I'm sure had a lot of people decide they would prefer somewhere else while it gets under control.
- Zika: is swamp and marshland safe to be in right now?
- recession: south america, au/nz, brexit, a lot of regulars to WDW just can't do it this year..

2: Being Nickle and Dimed..

- the increases are insane at disney this year so far. best discounts ever but you still have to eat and drink (yes I know ways to do that but does average not on this forum guest know that?)
- the line went to far and many just can't do it no matter how much they want too.
- disney has created a you better plan for 6 months or your not going to have fun mentality that the best discounts ever offered has people thinking you can't plan with this short notice if they even noticed the discounts because they probably booked somewhere else already.

3: Construction zone...

- the picture is painted that more is closed and not opened. not exactly true but things that should have opened failed too and it helps people decide that right now is not the time for WDW.
- things are coming.. This is going to be a huge part of it.. it's getting close enough to new things, mixed with the disney you better plan a year in advance precedent that people are waiting for it all to open and plan that massive visit with more money and going light on family vacations right now...
- if this is a once in a lifetime trip, they want everything opened and new things happening to be the best trip they will ever take.. (even though we all know they will be back but we all thought WDW was a once and done place).

And the real answer for what's going on...... It's a mixture of the above in everyones head... Disney's created a planning culture that can wait years to come while planning it out, it's starting to be felt.

I would be skipping the next year or three if I didn't move here.. I might head to other properties but I would probably head out to some other family favorites or bucket list destinations for now and wait until the 50th.

AMEN!!!

Fall is the new Summer as many on here have mentioned. A lot of my co-workers who are in their mid 20s have recently discovered that a food and wine festival exists at Disney World and have been planning for fall trips so secret's out.

I think there are a lot of reasons. South America for sure.

Mainly, I think fall has firmly become the high-demand season, between Food&Wine and the Halloween parties and the slightly less insane weather. I expect we will hear about supersized crowds this fall.

I do think they have hit their tipping point with pricing. Lots of small indicators that lead me to believe that, more discounts this summer, that kind of thing.

Fall is the new Summer as many on here have mentioned. A lot of my co-workers who are in their mid 20s have recently discovered that a food and wine festival exists at Disney World and have been planning for fall trips so secret's out.

Mainly, I think fall has firmly become the high-demand season, between Food&Wine and the Halloween parties and the slightly less insane weather. I expect we will hear about supersized crowds this fall.
It's nice to see someone else saying this. A lot of posters seem to be in denial about the shift in crowds from summer to fall, maybe because they've got fall trips planned...lol.

I went with family at the last week of September last year and they were bragging about how light the parks would be. It wasn't summer crowded, but they definitely were eating their hats in between drinks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter