• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who is the head server?

Vegaslover

Mouseketeer
I get Dining Room Server and Assistant Server. Who is the Head server and why is their suggested tip amount only $1 a day?

Head server basically oversees about 3-5 servers and will occasionally come to your table and ask you if everything is ok.

We have taken 3 cruises and there has only been 1 head server who we tipped the recommended amount (Fitz from Jamaica). The other cruises we have added their recommended tip to either the server or the drink server because we felt they did nothing.

There are typically 3 head servers in each dining room. They oversee about 8 "serving teams" of a server and an assistant server. The main jobs of the head server are to see that everything runs smoothly and to deal with any special issues like allergies or celebrations. He is also the person to whom you would report any problems. MUCH of their work is "behind the scenes."

Yes, his suggested tip is "only" $1 per guest per night, but since on a full cruise he would have about 140 guests at each seating, he actually makes more than the server/asst. server.

At the very least, he should come to your table nightly to be sure that everything is ok. As more head servers have come up thru the ranks, I've seen them being a lot more active--helping out a serving team when they are getting behind, etc.

There are typically 3 head servers in each dining room. They oversee about 8 "serving teams" of a server and an assistant server. The main jobs of the head server are to see that everything runs smoothly and to deal with any special issues like allergies or celebrations. He is also the person to whom you would report any problems. MUCH of their work is "behind the scenes."

Yes, his suggested tip is "only" $1 per guest per night, but since on a full cruise he would have about 140 guests at each seating, he actually makes more than the server/asst. server.

At the very least, he should come to your table nightly to be sure that everything is ok. As more head servers have come up thru the ranks, I've seen them being a lot more active--helping out a serving team when they are getting behind, etc.

On our first cruise, we didn't feel like the head server did anything either.

However, on our next two cruises, he was much more active. He was there nightly helping the servers when we had a very slow assistant server, arranged for awesome birthday celebrations, and on one cruise was able to change our dining times after the first day so that we were able to have the same server as a prior cruise.

Don't be afraid to ask the head server about any special requests or needs.

, and on one cruise was able to change our dining times after the first day so that we were able to have the same server as a prior cruise.

Don't be afraid to ask the head server about any special requests or needs.

Do you know if you can request a server ahead of time?

Do you know if you can request a server ahead of time?

You can make a dining request by calling DCL and having them note it on your reservation. However, if you request a head server, you can't request a server (they may not be on the same team).

WIth any dining requests, DCL will sing you their song about how this is only a request, cannot be guaranteed due to crew vacations, etc....ignore it and politely ask them to note your request.

Oh, I know who that is now. That is the person who comes around and makes chit chat. Our head server came around on our last night and said he was the one who also did the seating arrangment. Very interesting.

The Head Server is the one that makes sure your server team does their job.
He makes sure folks with food allergies know what their options are.
We saw our Head Server (MacClean) every night. But we had late seating, which is a FAR more relaxed dining experience than early seating, and were rarely out of the dining room before 10:30 pm, so maybe that's why we got to know him better.
He came to our rescue on the final morning when the DORKS who had our table at early seating decided to barge into the dining room 15 minutes before late seating breakfast and sat at our table. We missed out on our final meal with our team. But MacClean IMMEDIATELY sprung into action, finding us an empty table (granted, with a different server team). MacClean checked on us several times during breakfast, and covered for our server so he could come over for a few minutes to say goodbye.
The head server is like a good secretary (or administrative assistant if you prefer that title). Making sure everyone else has what they need to get their job done, and stepping in to help when the need arises.

Other lines we've pretty much seen our head server every night. They chit chat. Ask you if everything is okay and solve any problems you may have. I always tip them because I have a friend whose DH is a asst matire 'd on Celebrity. I know what they get paid and it isn't very much. They've oaid their dues and worked their way up the ladder and they still get paid crappy.

Our head server came around every night to talk. She was very formal and kind. She arranged for our same dining rotation on our back-to-back cruise and helped with our special Palo request.

Honestly, I felt all of the people worked so hard on the cruise and I tipped the recommended amounts for our family of 4. These people are away from their families for so long and all day in different parts of the ship (saw our assistant waiter at Pinnochio's, at breakfast, on Castaway Cay). I couldn't see doing otherwise. And I'm usually a cheap person... :)

My daughter is allergic to milk product, the head server arrange for a homemade ice cream (made with soy) for her to enjoy. She was so happy! He did not talk much, but I think he did a lot of unseen work. The server just told me that it was arranged by the head server.

We had Richard from France as our head server on a recent Wonder cruise. He was wonderful. He came around a couple of times each night, and really interacted with the kids; and that was with main dining!. I saw him helping out some of the other serving teams as well. My DH wasn't able to cruise with us, and one night Richard was kind enough to take my DS out to where the restrooms were, so he wouldn't be humiliated by me doing it :rotfl:.

We had great service throughout the cruise; Richard was just one example!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter